Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th March 2016, 10:15   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Elevator manners - General civic sense lacking?

The most horrible thing on roads is how people tend to be extremely aggressive towards each other and in the case of even the most minor accidents, instead of sorting it out amicably, people resort to cursing and fist fights. The me first mentality of most people on roads is just appalling. Also not to forget the harassment faced by women drivers especially from cab drivers/rickshaw drivers who make it a point to harass and honk relentlessly at women and driving school students.
motorhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 11:31   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Well said. When I was a kid, I used to see my father inevitably thanking the auto drivers or small shop keepers without fail every time he used their services..
Correct, atleast we can start spreading those values around us. For example - my 2 year old daughter will always say Thank You to my anyone who cooks for her when she gets her food and even the house help. Sometimes I get amazed at how she remembers while I forget.

Quote:
with about 20 people standing, a 30 something conductor sat royally in his "reserved" seat when there were atleast half a dozen ladies old enough to be his mother's age who were travelling standing.
Again this is everywhere and quite a shame really. I have seen this in places like Sydney and Brisbane. Regular feature in Bangalore Volvos.

Quote:
Why cannot IT companies who all have elaborate induction programmes for youngsters who join them ,introduce a few modules on etiquette and good manners on their training programs in addition to ones on cutting edge technologies and state of the art programming?
A company I joined in Bangalore exuded pride for the 'Jugaad' it does, the CEO openly used filthy words for employees. How can you expect them to teach manners to a 20s something engineers. And let me add, the company is valued close to 7 billion by now. The second company I joined, the senior manager told me, we prefer candidates from the first one because those guys can slog 14 hours without complaining. Imagine his expression, when I said, I am not one of those sloggers and I value my time.

We as a nation (as I have not traveled so extensively to comment on others) have become insensitive and selfish. This is more so in the bigger cities. The smaller centers still have some semblance of decency.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 14:07   #63
BHPian

We can go non stop on elevator manners. Entering a lift going up to go down, running in without letting others get out, loud conversation, coughing without covering one's mouth - the list goes on and on. As a society, we have come down a few notches and expect things to happen asap rather than being patient. A walk to a 300mt far shop is not tolerated and has to be replaced by a bike/car and then again parking in front of the shop no matter how narrow the road is.
I talked to my nephew studying in his 8th standard in a very reputable school in Bangalore and asked him how did he like moral science class. He gave me a vague stare and asked "What is Moral Science". No wonder we seem to be living in a crumbling society
A little bit of positiveness here. I was traveling on the outer ring road with a fair number of vehicles on the road. I could see an ambulance trying to navigate the Bangalore mayhem and go forwards. Out of the blue, i saw cars moving to the left side leaving a gaping way for the ambulance. I counted 23 cars which moved out of the way to the left and let the ambulance pass. Sure there is a silver lining around i guess
subraiyr is offline   Reply With Quote