Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th May 2016, 00:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The NBA Thread

Cricket is our national sport, well you know what I mean (Hockey? what's that). However I always found it somewhat boring (personally), I do understand how good it is as I've been glued to certain international Test matches, some one day series and of course T20 has made it so much more exciting but somehow I couldn't connect to it personally even though I was a decent pacer during the few times I played it in the ground. Football too, I never connected to it personally.. watching EPL always aggravated me whenever there was a missed shot or a goalless game.

I decided to find out exactly how many BHPians like watching basketball, i.e the world's best league the NBA. I have been following it for much of my teenage life (early mornings at 6 am before college used to start). I haven't watched much the past few years as life has become rather hectic but I did watch a few games this season mostly because my idol Kobe Bryant had his last year as an active player. I've always supported L.A Lakers, watched Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe win 3 rings consecutively and then 2 more as Kobe did it leading the team himself.

There is something about the game that is so poetic, the movements, the jumpers, hooks, faders (types of shot) and the strategies that the players make that just gets my adrenaline going. I've seen a hundred matches where the game is down to the wire with maybe 3 seconds remaining and yet a team wins with a last second 3-pointer or dunk. I feel lucky to have watched Kobe play in his prime, he was the closest there is and will ever be to Jordan. Just a few snippets :

Any fans out there? I'm trying to watch as many playoff games this season, seems tight.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 09:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: The NBA Thread

My days of NBA began with Jordan and ended with Jordan.

Talk about a game which just requires a second to decide winner/loser. Good times Bulls ftw always \m/
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 15:11   #3
BHPian

Default Re: The NBA Thread

Finally! A thread about my favourite sport.

I played Basketball in college but did not really get or understand anything about it. All I knew was Michael Jordan... who didn't?

Of course, that all changed with NBA 2k14. Basketball quickly became my favourite sport, with scoring happening throughout the game, unlike Football, where you wait for what seems like yearssss for a goal (no disrespect to football fans).

My favourite player of course, is Allen Iverson. I still get chills when he came back in 2010 to the Philadelphia 76ers (with the announcers words... 'A six foot guard from Georgetown, Allllleeennn Iverssssonn'.

I love comeback story's in any sport, the underdog story, which is part of the reason I loved Iverson single-handedly carrying the 76ers to the 2001 finals, where they gave the invincible Kobe-Shaq Lakers a bloody nose in Game 1.

Regarding a team, one I love watching is the San Antonio Spurs. In a sport where hero ball so often draws eyeballs, the Spurs team-ball passing is a thing of beauty. And of course, I love how they conduct themelves, exemplified by Tim Duncan, who does not trash talk, bark or get irritated. His cricketing counterpart would be Rahul Dravid.

I can also not forget about Linsanity in 2012. Another great underdog story, an undrafted Point Guard taking over and guiding the losing New York Knicks to victory. The atmosphere in MSG... I wish I was there when it happened.

I got to rewatch the old 90s finals, and I find myself rooting for anyone, ANYONE against MJ's bulls. Yes, I know MJ is the GOAT, but, like Steve Jobs, he is the biggest A-Hole in his field. So naturally, I loved when the Barkley Suns or the Utah Jazz gave the bulls a bloody nose. Which brings me to my earliest basketball memory, the 97 Finals Game Game 4 in Utah, when John Stockton threw the greatest pass in a Finals series I have seen, a full court touchdown pass to Karl Malone. Still gives me goosebumps.

Which brings me to this very interesting post I found on Facebook. Which team would you pick?
Attached Thumbnails
The NBA Thread-13177487_1169558789741776_3252520247885246424_n.jpg  

Last edited by avi550m : 14th May 2016 at 15:16.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote