Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 02:50   #316
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You do get oversize chickens which are fed to a point of gaining so much weight that if they were not slaughtered, their legs would not be able to take the weight. These are legs from the same kind of chickens. You do get oversize "legs only" cuts at various chicken selling outlets.
V-16, have been around Baghdadi since 1991 as we have shops in the area. Needless to say this info is from within I agree to the large sized chickens, however have never seen it elsewhere in Bombay or outside Bombay.

The caustic works, its a mild solution. This is nothing, the McDonalds chicken patty contains the entire chicken minus the bones, I mean the entire chicken including the innards etc. Nothing is wasted - the bones go to crockery units. This is heard from the unit which set up the chain in India.

Cheers

M M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 02:24   #317
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If he was a Gentleman who insists on cutting the cheese at the cash counter and giving it to the waiter when you order something with cheese - It's Vohuman cafe.
Spot on Sam. Thats the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Bang on target Sam. Vohuman cafe it was.
Gogi, you must also share the joke he passed on similarities between sikhs and parsi's please.
You want me Banned, Mr ImmoralFibroid?
But that guy was a riot. I still remember what he told Ronnie when Ronnie asked him if he could still do the stuff he was claiming to at his age. The look on Ronnie's face was priceless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I have also heard of cooks adding excessive salt to kebabs etc to make them softer. Is this true?
I dont think so this is true. If it were, I wonder how they would get the excess salt out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
V-16, have been around Baghdadi since 1991 as we have shops in the area. Needless to say this info is from within I agree to the large sized chickens, however have never seen it elsewhere in Bombay or outside Bombay.

The caustic works, its a mild solution
. This is nothing, the McDonalds chicken patty contains the entire chicken minus the bones, I mean the entire chicken including the innards etc. Nothing is wasted - the bones go to crockery units. This is heard from the unit which set up the chain in India.
Cheers
M M M
Is this legal? Is caustic usage for this allowed? I doubt.
Regarding Mcdonalds, they have a very stringent quality control system and I doubt that the Chicken Patty they recieve would have anything else but what they asked for in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Hey guys was just thinking , anybody any knowldge about FARSAAN!! Or Chakna!! hehe
The Best Dhokla and Khandvi are to be got from Annapoorna at Bandra. This place is adjoining Golden Moments (of the team-bhp meet fame). It also has some real good packed farsan and chivda. But the world's best chivda is available at Lonavala at National Chikki. You take the right turn from the main Khandala Lonavala road (right from Kumar Resorts) into the Lonavala market till you come to a statue and a right turn leading into Ryewoods. Dont take the right. As soon as you cross the statue, on the right is the National Chikki Main store. Buy your chivda from there only.
Another good place for Kachori and farsam (mainly Ameri Khaman) is the Saurashtra Farsan Mart opp The Antonio D'silva High School at B.B.Dadar near the Gol Mandir. Its a small shop but good quality farsan.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 20:34   #318
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Hi V-16.

Legality of the chicken treated with caustic, - this can be a legal debate, there are permitted grades of Caustic and non permitted grades. IP is the pharmacopia grade allowed to be used. Again once again a grey area.

However the fact will remain open and for all, if the fattened chickens are available why are they only available at Baghdadi and no where else ? - I have never seen the size of chicken which Baghdadi serves at any other location anywhere including wherever I have travelled including India and abroad.

McDonalds, the team which had brought down the catering process has mentioned about this practice and also reconfirmed by one of their suppliers both stated the same.

You may contact me on PM to take this further.

Cheers
M M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:26   #319
BHPian
 
yogi1771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 631
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Day before yesterday was at Goa Portuguese,food was crap but really enjoyed an ice cream(Paan flavour ) it tastes exactly like a mittha paan with gulcand and a few paan pieces mixed with the ice cream.Any other place we can get this ice cream
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:57   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi V-16.

Legality of the chicken treated with caustic, - this can be a legal debate, there are permitted grades of Caustic and non permitted grades. IP is the pharmacopia grade allowed to be used. Again once again a grey area.

However the fact will remain open and for all, if the fattened chickens are available why are they only available at Baghdadi and no where else ? - I have never seen the size of chicken which Baghdadi serves at any other location anywhere including wherever I have travelled including India and abroad.

McDonalds, the team which had brought down the catering process has mentioned about this practice and also reconfirmed by one of their suppliers both stated the same.

You may contact me on PM to take this further
.

Cheers
M M M
No I dont intend to eat or serve caustic fattened chickens, or to take it further
Never doubted you my friend but was only talking of the legality. Also this was news to me as I had never heard of it.
You may get fattened chicken from certain dealers in Mumbai. The dressed chicken is a whopping 2.0 kgs (almost- give or take 100 -150 gms here or there).
Why no one else serves it...well i have not seen these recently but some time ago, these hugies were not used by restaurants as theres a problem in portion control and constant availability in large numbers, so ive been told.
If you are interested in these humongous chickens you may PM me for details...and yes when you make one at home you can literally feed an army!!
Bon Appetite!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:20   #321
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Pure Veg Italian food is a bit of a paradox, lol.
Little Italy at Juhu. They make an excellent calzone. Now that is one dish I can finish without help. Gogi would be proud. My wife likes their Primavera and Tiramisu (I've had better Tiramisu though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Dont leak this on the ICE forum.
ha ha ha. we gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
There is a Chinese restaurant in Manhattan's china-town that serves beef/chicken/pork dishes.
I am not sure if it'll pass as Jain food as they use potatoes. It's called Buddha Bodai (many Chinese restraunts in the NY area have a verg dish called Buddhist Delight). On Mott Street you will find 2-3 other veg places incl. one that specialises in veg dim sum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Then there's a lunatic called Shamshu. If you hear Ali yelling "Aay bail !" (the husband of a cow),

I dont go there much now. Basically because I'm not yet ready for marriage.
Cow which cow. The one you were gifted?

so it seems that instead of marrying you off they married your cow to someone called Shamshu?

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd April 2008 at 12:55.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:53   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
X-Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mumbai/Tokyo
Posts: 1,476
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Day before yesterday was at Goa Portuguese,food was crap but really enjoyed an ice cream(Paan flavour ) it tastes exactly like a mittha paan with gulcand and a few paan pieces mixed with the ice cream.Any other place we can get this ice cream
Hi Yogi,
I would recommend you to go there again and try out thier Fish in Green Malabari sauce alongwith Egg Appams. They are too damn yummy. Thier food is excellent, provided you try the right stuff. The Prawn gussi is to die for as well.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:55   #323
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Day before yesterday was at Goa Portuguese,food was crap but really enjoyed an ice cream(Paan flavour ) it tastes exactly like a mittha paan with gulcand and a few paan pieces mixed with the ice cream.Any other place we can get this ice cream
Lol. Head Chef Deepa and Suhas Awchat will be very disappointed with your review. I'm sure they must have frowned at you from their various photos in the menu and on the walls.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:36   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol. Head Chef Deepa and Suhas Awchat will be very disappointed with your review. I'm sure they must have frowned at you from their various photos in the menu and on the walls.
@ B&T - haha - true man.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:43   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
X-Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mumbai/Tokyo
Posts: 1,476
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Wich Latte - Colaba.
Great place and great sandwiches. Try out the Foccaccia funghi , its highly recommended. The marination is too good.

HAS Juice Bar - Bandra.
Damn freakin tasty juices. They are soo filling, that you dont feel hungry at all after that. Highly Recommended: Acai Berries, Wheat Grass shot and Berry Blast.

Falafels - Bandra & Colaba.
Great place for veggie-food lovers. They have the best falafels in town & what an extensive variety. Highly Recommended: Baklava, Cheese Sambusac, Hummus with Tehina & Pita Bread and Bavarya (desert to die for).

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:10   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Wich Latte - Colaba.
Great place and great sandwiches. Try out the Foccaccia funghi , its highly recommended. The marination is too good.

HAS Juice Bar - Bandra.
Damn freakin tasty juices. They are soo filling, that you dont feel hungry at all after that. Highly Recommended: Acai Berries, Wheat Grass shot and Berry Blast.

Falafels - Bandra & Colaba.
Great place for veggie-food lovers. They have the best falafels in town & what an extensive variety. Highly Recommended: Baklava, Cheese Sambusac, Hummus with Tehina & Pita Bread and Bavarya (desert to die for).

X
the falafels stuff was only average, i've tried on 2 occasions. my office is bang opposite at Regal Circle.
Where in colaba is this wich latte?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:18   #327
BHPian
 
SohailPistawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 431
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

scooby sir: its at colaba causeway, a little ahead of cafe churchill. Have heard of it too!!

Edit: Shop No.4, ground floor, western breeze building, opposite, cusrow baug. Call:65254827.
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:30   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

It's just opened a month back na ? Wich Latte I mean.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:36   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol. Head Chef Deepa and Suhas Awchat will be very disappointed with your review. I'm sure they must have frowned at you from their various photos in the menu and on the walls.
even Rakhee Sawant will frown on you from one huge cut out which they have with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Wich Latte - Colaba.
Great place and great sandwiches. Try out the Foccaccia funghi , its highly recommended. The marination is too good.

HAS Juice Bar - Bandra.
Damn freakin tasty juices. They are soo filling, that you dont feel hungry at all after that. Highly Recommended: Acai Berries, Wheat Grass shot and Berry Blast.

Falafels - Bandra & Colaba.
Great place for veggie-food lovers. They have the best falafels in town & what an extensive variety. Highly Recommended: Baklava, Cheese Sambusac, Hummus with Tehina & Pita Bread and Bavarya (desert to die for).

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
the falafels stuff was only average, i've tried on 2 occasions. my office is bang opposite at Regal Circle.
Where in colaba is this wich latte?
I agree with Scooby05. Their Felafals are just about average. I have tasted better here and Felafels are supposed to be crisp on the outside and moist in the inside like Souk at the Taj serves. This one tasted and had a texture of Hara Bhara Kebab!!
I have never been a fan of Houmous. I may eat a bite or two but to make a meal out of it is not my cup of tea. It is too bland and the texture bothers me. I have been there twice too (regal walla one). I like their Pitta bread but thats about it.
How come I missed Latte? Will check it out sometime.
Whenever I go colaba side, i get withdrawal symptoms for the Chicken roll of Paradise, about the only good thing they now serve in that restaurant along with Scotch Broth (no it does not serve liquor)
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:50   #330
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Whenever I go colaba side, i get withdrawal symptoms for the Chicken roll of Paradise, about the only good thing they now serve in that restaurant along with Scotch Broth (no it does not serve liquor)
Paradise used to make great steaks. They were Rs. 40 each when we used to go (ok so I am dated). Coming to think of this in those days there used to be a place on Nesbit Road near Nagpada called Sigdi. THere was a school near by called Christ Church. I am sure V-16 will have been there.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3598 18th August 2017 13:11
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks