Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 22:30   #466
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
1. Anantashram: Khotachi Wadi: Feels like walking into a maharashtrian home! the food is mind blowing, to say the least. ive had oyster, chicken, prawns, fish and mutton, all served in typical malwani style. the fried stuff is to die for and the sukka's(gravies) make one keep coming back for more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hit the nail right on the head Frank. Ananthashram is my all time favourite, only it goes out of food very early in the day and night. If your'e an early eater (lunch by 1.00 and dinner by 8.30) then you get the menu choice, after that its choose from whats available.
Okay!! On two of the above recommendations I went to Anantashram with a friend for lunch.
This friend of mine stays in Girgaum and said Khotachi Wadi is very confusing. We entered the lane and before we could start searching we found the place. This lane is one of the most beautiful lanes in Mumbai. You wont feel that you are in Mumbai, it looks as if you are in Old Goa or something.
Anantashram is old style type place. I read the board and I could only read Non-veg items. Being a Veggie I thought this might not be the place, nothing else then atleast I'll have rice and dal. So I told the guy, who sits on the cash counter "Shakahari Thali?"
Looks at me for a moment and says " Shakahari paaije?" A nod is what I managed.
What happened next was ........

...... quite amazing! A thali filled with typical food. Chapatis, dal,rice, sabzji, kaanda, chutney, lonchh(pickle), sol kadi. It was awesomely spicy. I loved the food, the taste, the spiciness, quick service. Everything in the thali was repeated. Sol Kadi is to die for.

All of the above just costed Rs 37 per thali!! This is a super budget place with awesome awesome food.
I dont eat non-veg but by looking at the faces of other people they were simply enjoying their fish. crabs, mutton vati, chicken!!

Will I visit again? -- Yeah!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
@ Dippy, Arpan and all the other willing candidates Lets get together like last time and go for it.
Im in. Im in.

Last edited by F50 : 15th January 2009 at 22:32.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 04:06   #467
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Toh saturday jamwaanu raakhwuche ne????
lol!
Lets make saturday a Team Bhp foodies meet.)
Shucks man, cant make it this Saturday.....!!!! :-(

Quote:
I forgot to mention, there's one restaurant where we guys go every 2-3 weeks, at night, say 12 am, when we know we wont get a drink anywhere(legally).]
You get beer and alcohol there at 12 midnite because the legal time limit for serving liquor is till 12:30 and for consuming it is 1:30. Try asking for a drink after 12:30 and see (if you somhow do/did manage beyond the legal time, someone will have a lot of answering to do)
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 19:49   #468
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Hmm strange.. I've been to a couple of places where we've ordered alcohol at around 1.30 (last order) and have been allowed to drink till 2.30, and sometimes even a little more. They generally half-down their shutters after 2.30 but I remember leaving this place once at around 3am. Jugaad or legal?
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 15:09   #469
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

I had asked earlier for a place near colaba for when we went yesterday, I preffered going to Status at Nariman Point. My hubby ordered for a Gujrati Thali and it was awesome. a very good bargain for 165 bucks.

I ordered for Hara Bhara Kababs with Cheese Sauce & tomato soup.

It was killing. The combination of kababs with cheese sauce was just awesome. The kababs just melted in the mouth.

It is definately a great place for vegetarians.

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 17th January 2009 at 15:10.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 20:21   #470
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Matunga has some rocking budget South Indian joints, I wonder how Ram Ashraya has not yet been mentioned. Anyway, its never too late.

Ram Ashraya is situated close to the North end of Matunga (C.R.) railway station bridge. Its diagonally opposite the kabootar khana, which is the most prominent landmark in the area.

Serves piping hot dosas, idlis, wadas, utthappas, etc. My favorite is the Upma, and Mysore and Rava Dosas. Around lunch time, theres also bissi bele bhaath and some other rice dishes. The food is awesome. With most dishes, the accompaniment of mulga pudi goes very well.

On a recent visit, our friend BHAGWAN counted the number of fans in the establishment. He noted that there were a total of 8 (or 9, I dont remember the exact figure) ceiling fans. It was also noted that not a single fan is identical to another fan in the restaurant. It's true. Each one of them is a different model from the other.

Ram Ashraya used to be a favorite in the younger and wilder days when I would reach near my house (which is also in Matunga) around 4.30-5 am. Its the only place that opens at 5 am and serves idli and upma with hot tea and coffee. A lot of the early morning crowd would also wonder what a bunch of seemingly disoriented youngsters are doing in "disco" clothes at what was their morning walk time.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 20:32   #471
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

I agree with B&T's Ram Ashreya write up. The best and crispiest Rawa in town. They also serve a mean Rasam Vada.

I remember during college days, every 1st morning after new year's eve, we would be there to eat at Ram Ashrey's at around 6 in the morning.

I will have to notice the ceiling fans this time around. I do still go there very often.

....still no one serves a Mysore sada (Ask for the white butter to be smeared on it before you eat) with malga pudi (aka gun powder) like Cafe Madras.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 22:06   #472
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Matunga has some rocking budget South Indian joints, I wonder how Ram Ashraya has not yet been mentioned. Anyway, its never too late.

Serves piping hot dosas, idlis, wadas, utthappas, etc. My favorite is the Upma, and Mysore and Rava Dosas. Around lunch time, theres also bissi bele bhaath and some other rice dishes. The food is awesome. With most dishes, the accompaniment of mulga pudi goes very well.

Ram Ashraya used to be a favorite in the younger and wilder days when I would reach near my house (which is also in Matunga) around 4.30-5 am. Its the only place that opens at 5 am and serves idli and upma with hot tea and coffee. A lot of the early morning crowd would also wonder what a bunch of seemingly disoriented youngsters are doing in "disco" clothes at what was their morning walk time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I agree with B&T's Ram Ashreya write up. The best and crispiest Rawa in town. They also serve a mean Rasam Vada.

I remember during college days, every 1st morning after new year's eve, we would be there to eat at Ram Ashrey's at around 6 in the morning.

I will have to notice the ceiling fans this time around. I do still go there very often.

....still no one serves a Mysore sada (Ask for the white butter to be smeared on it before you eat) with malga pudi (aka gun powder) like Cafe Madras.
+1 to that. As I am also from Matunga, I can really vouch for Ram Ashraya for their Mysore Masala and filter coffee. Apart from that you can have good lunch at Rama Nayak. Apart from that, Anand Bhavan (Bisi Bele Bath, Biscuit Roti) and Cafe Madras(for Rasam Wadas) are also good places for great south indian food. Matunga really is the hub for great SI food
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 00:36   #473
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,865
Thanked: 2,217 Times
Default

I just got back from Ayubs(again) right now and shared a Kheema baida roti, a kathi kabab roll and a chicken bhuna roll.

the kathi kabab roll was average, and the chicken bhuna was awesome.
the highlight had to be the kheema baida roti with the 2 chutneys they serve.
then on the way back, stopped at chowpatty and licked off a special punjabi kulfi rabdi falooda!

all this after a dinner (yea!)
frankmehta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 08:20   #474
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 629
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Went to Khyber Khar last night after more than 6 months. The food there is really good. We started with a Platter which had reshmi kabab, tangdi kabab, seekh kabab, mutton chops, green tikka & for the main course we had khyber raan & chicken kadai. Scrumptious, normally you enjoy this type of food (specially mutton) in area's like bhendi bazaar, mohd. ali road but this place has not disappointed whenever i've been there. Washed it all with a couple of Long Island Iced Tea's. No place for desserts though. Approx. tab per head 900.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:28   #475
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I will have to notice the ceiling fans this time around. I do still go there very often.
Last time when BHAGWAN was checking out the fans there, so were me and my friend. In typical Indian fashion, this resulted into everyone in the restaurant including the manager and the waiters looking at the ceiling wondering what was going on. It'll be quite a sight with more and more people going there and doing this. Management will probably put up a board, "Please don't stare at our ceiling".
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 14:17   #476
BHPian
 
sk456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: @Noida/Gurgaon
Posts: 570
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Last time when BHAGWAN was checking out the fans there, so were me and my friend. In typical Indian fashion, this resulted into everyone in the restaurant including the manager and the waiters looking at the ceiling wondering what was going on. It'll be quite a sight with more and more people going there and doing this. Management will probably put up a board, "Please don't stare at our ceiling".
What is the world coming to? Even "Bhagwan" has to look up
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:46   #477
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

I too vouch for Matunga SI food as i have spent 5 good years of my college life out there and have visited almost every resturant. Manis and Ramashraya remain my most favourite. Cafe Mysore also served Molgapudi with Ghee. All their dosas used to turn out very crispy.

Every time you would pass Ramashraya you could smell the divine smell of coffee and that smell has become synonymous of RS.

Now I am waiting for Friday when I am scheduled to visit Matunga. Then I will surely visit RS.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 20:51   #478
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Speaking of Matunga, enter the Phool Galli a little ahead of Ramashreya (towards King's Circle) and take a left. At the first junction there is a temple and right opposite it is a huge stall which serves the best S.I. fod. There is now, even a board for the stall which reads "Shree Ayappan...." Have the Pongal, Sheera (for some reason there is only pineapple flavour available all the time), etc there and watch your favourite Dosa get turned into a yummy pancake from a viscous liquid right before your eyes.

For the more adventurous, there is a Pizza dosa (Mama Mia!!), Chinese dosa etc etc. Usually i would avoid places serving these with a barge pole but these additions have only been made recently, so i still go there quite often to get my fill of piping hot SI food. The only drawback is that there is not seating there and they will not serve in the car.

Try the Mysore Dosa. (tell him to keep away the capsicum, onion, cabbage, etc filling and stick to just the chutney and powder).

All their food come with a range of three chutneys (a white, a green and a red which is tomato and onion based) and sambhar

The sambhar is superb and not overtly spicy, nor does it come with the heart burn/acidity guarantee, as most sambhars do. Enjoy!!


The other day while i was loitering around Phoenix Mills with my wife, we decided to have a bite at Maroush. Its the same small place next to Natural ice cream which was first Maroush, then Karims and now again Maroush.

The food was strictly Ho-Hum. Nothing to waste your time writing about. Guess what the Butter nan was basted with???...Oil!! Better call it the Oil Nan then.

I just realised that there is not one decent place to get a god meal in Phoenix Mills. Sports bar is very snacky food types, not a hard core eat-eat place.

Even the Wraps and Rolls are strictly ok!!

Last edited by V-16 : 20th January 2009 at 20:56. Reason: adding.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 21:46   #479
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,865
Thanked: 2,217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Speaking of Matunga, enter the Phool Galli a little ahead of Ramashreya (towards King's Circle) and take a left. At the first junction there is a temple and right opposite it is a huge stall which serves the best S.I. fod. There is now, even a board for the stall which reads "Shree Ayappan...." Have the Pongal, Sheera (for some reason there is only pineapple flavour available all the time), etc there and watch your favourite Dosa get turned into a yummy pancake from a viscous liquid right before your eyes.

For the more adventurous, there is a Pizza dosa (Mama Mia!!), Chinese dosa etc etc. Usually i would avoid places serving these with a barge pole but these additions have only been made recently, so i still go there quite often to get my fill of piping hot SI food. The only drawback is that there is not seating there and they will not serve in the car.

Try the Mysore Dosa. (tell him to keep away the capsicum, onion, cabbage, etc filling and stick to just the chutney and powder).

All their food come with a range of three chutneys (a white, a green and a red which is tomato and onion based) and sambhar

The sambhar is superb and not overtly spicy, nor does it come with the heart burn/acidity guarantee, as most sambhars do. Enjoy!!


The other day while i was loitering around Phoenix Mills with my wife, we decided to have a bite at Maroush. Its the same small place next to Natural ice cream which was first Maroush, then Karims and now again Maroush.

The food was strictly Ho-Hum. Nothing to waste your time writing about. Guess what the Butter nan was basted with???...Oil!! Better call it the Oil Nan then.

I just realised that there is not one decent place to get a god meal in Phoenix Mills. Sports bar is very snacky food types, not a hard core eat-eat place.

Even the Wraps and Rolls are strictly ok!!


hi paaji!
you are right, not even one good place to eat in Phoenix. the blue foods outlets are so so and the roadside kind of chaat stalls are also strictly ok. only the paani puri is decent.
Gajaalee is quite ok, but the one near Milan Subway is their best.
Wraps and rolls have either changed their recipe or changed their management. they have lost their charm and i doubt the quality of their food now.
about shree ayyapan! there are a few memories that i have about the place. remember the floods that happened in mumbai? i got stuck at kurla with 2-3 friends. walked till ayyapan and ate like pigs on a frenzy :-)
we had beer on the way and that made us even more hungry(all this when half the city was under water )

anyways, the sheera and the dosas are to die for. the daal wada and the medu wada are crisp and authentic. their idlis get over before they are made, and their sambhar and chutneys are quite delectable.
actually my mouth is always burnt when i eat that piping hot pav bhaji dosa, and masala mysore dosa, and the pizza dosa, so i cant taste much after that.
also, theres a small tapri next to the same place that makes highly inconsistent but great coffee. atleast a couple of times it was awesome. the other few times it was chaalu
v16 paaji, i think, with all the food we have been talking about, i shall gain about 10-15 kilos and you shall become V32 from V16
frankmehta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:44   #480
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I just realised that there is not one decent place to get a god meal in Phoenix Mills. Sports bar is very snacky food types, not a hard core eat-eat place.

Even the Wraps and Rolls are strictly ok!!
The only option is to go next door to Good Earth.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3606 22nd August 2017 09:03
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks