Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th December 2010, 19:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Re: The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks Biju,
Did some web search and shortlisted Fender CD-60. It costs around 7.5K @ bajaao.com.

I did not have a plan to spend 7.5K on my first guitar. Do you guys have any other suggestion (means cheap and best for a beginner)? :-)
Latheesh, you can get some good Indian brand guitars for a beginner. Check out brands like Hobner, Givson (http://www.givson.com/home.html) etc. If you go to Kochi or Aluva, there are some brands available (mostly made in Kochi) which are VFM guitars. I will try to dig out the names. They are very good for learning guitar. Once you feel confident, you can buy one of these premium ones or an electric guitar along with the speaker/amplifier setup.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 02:00   #47
BHPian

I wouldn't use a Givson even if it was given to me free of charge. You are bound to lose interest in playing as these cheap guitars don't sound good and are harder to play. I mean it makes more sense for beginners to have guitars that are easier to play. At least buy Granada , GB&a or pluto and also get a electronic tuner. Some guitars have a built in tuner on the side of the body.
motorhead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 03:54   #48
BHPian

Cort and Pluto are amongst the best entry levels guitars today. Cort is slightly better but also a bit more expensive. You can't go wrong with either of these. GB&A is also good, comparable with pluto but it is more suited for finger picking or leads because it's notes are very crisp, pluto sounds better for chord/ rhythm playing as it has better bass and a smoother sound. However this is a very subjective opinion based on personal preferences. I'd go with cort if I could spend approx. 5500-6000 bucks, else I'd go with a pluto or gb&a for 3500-4000 budget.

I wouldn't recommend a givson or hobner unless you have a very low budget.

Last edited by Astleviz : 11th December 2010 at 03:59.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 21:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Visited couple of stores today. I liked YAMAHA F310 (means easy to hold/feel), other than that I do not know nothing about the guitar. They quoted 6.9K.

When I checked with my guitarist friend he also suggested me to go for F310. How is this price? I will try to push for a free carry bag with it.

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th December 2010 at 21:46.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 22:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

About 14years back "Givson" was one of the best entry level guitars, infact my guitar sounded like a pro guitar and it does even today but unfortunately today the quality is lost!

Am in serach for a better guitar in the budget of 8k and sadly havent liked any till now, any pointers from the pro here?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 23:31   #51
BHPian

Latheesh, Yamaha F310 is a good guitar. If the same dealer has a cort AD810, try it out, it is almost as good as the yamaha but retails for 5900 bucks. Else just go with the yamaha if it fits in your budget.

Lohithrao, my first guitar was a givson, I learnt how to play on that guitar and it served me well for several years. However the game has moved on since then and now several korean and chinese guitars have come up with budget guitars that are leagues ahead than the givson I had years ago.
For 8000 bucks you can pick up a pretty good guitar these days, I'd suggest you try out yamaha, fender, ibanez and Cort guitars, they are more or less similar when it comes to quality, it boils down to personal preferences. No matter which one you pick out of these, you will be happy with your choice.

Two of my favorite guitarists these days

Cheers!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th December 2010 at 17:37. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 23:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

In search of better deal on Yamaha F310 I visited Furtados and Sound glitz today. Checked Pluto guitar (they quoted 4.3K).

Kiran @ Furtados shown me Walden Hawthorne HD221 (7K) and told that its good.
Hawthorne Guitars
Very nice guy and listened to my requirement carefully. Demonstrated various guitars from 2K to 136K. I tried to get a better deal and he is not ready to reduce the price much (may be 200-300). He is giving free bag (Good quality) and few picks with it.
Soundglitz on Brigade road is full of jokers. Looks like they do not want to sell anything. Very very casual approach with customers.

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th December 2010 at 23:25.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:27   #53
BHPian

Currently triping on Joe Satriani Live in Paris, and he's go a lovely tone in gig, especially songs like Crying, highly recommed concert for Joe Sat fans.

My rig now is Yamaha Pacifica 112, Boss GT-10, Marshall MG DFX 15, and Sennheiser HD 202, so the headphones were bought, casue I drive my wife nuts when ever I play the guitar.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 00:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Finally bought Yamaha F310 today. Target is to play 'Lily was here' in a year time or less :-)))). Wish me good luck!!
Old 5th May 2011, 01:19   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Finally bought Yamaha F310 today. Target is to play 'Lily was here' in a year time or less :-)))). Wish me good luck!!
Congrats! Yamaha F310 is a good acoustic guitar. I have an ESP EC-100, A Pluto acoustic, A Fender Precision bass, Marshall MG-15 CD and a Zoom G2.1u special effects pedal.
I play mostly progressive rock, heavy metal, hard rock and the occasional blues.
I also play a little bit of the bass. Been playing for 4 months. And the guitar for 3 years.
Just wanted to put that out there.
Skye1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 00:36   #56
BHPian

Hey! I bought an acoustic guitar last December. Its made by Walden. The model is cg 600ce . It cost me around 22k . My budget was 25k and I had tried all the guitars in that range including takamine febder cort ibanez and Yamaha. I was very surprised that a lesser known brand like Walden beat the competition outright. The guitar is magnificent! Anyone on the lookout for a not-so-cheap acoustic guitar should check this one out. Got it from Furtados Bangalore.
datvichrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 04:04   #57
BHPian

I just picked up these two...

B.C. Rich Bich 12/6

Gibson Explorer
Vert1go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 20:26   #58
BHPian

Here are two of mine. I also have an electric Tansen which I don't play very much.

OK don't play it at all. I've somehow moved towards acoustics.

This is an all-solid 'Lee' guitar that I picked up on a jaunt to Malaysia. Unstained Indian Rosewood for back and sides, Spruce top, ebony fingerboard/bridge/endpins and a bone nut. Wood bindings and no pickup, just the way I like it. The only plastic piece in the guitar is the manufacturer logo inlaid in the headstock, and the transparent pickguard.

Needs a bone saddle (currently TusQ) but still one of the loveliest guitars I've heard and played. The default setup was fantastic - five years on has needed the bridge and heel re-glued due to Indian heat. Also some amateur players have caused some scratching near the pickguard area.

While this was defunct for about eight months, I was twiddling my thumbs. So I ended up with a Walden CS500E. With a pickup and a solid top, the best guitar I could lay my hands on below 20k (normally 22.5k, but with a 15% discount if I picked up an accessory bundle). The sides and back are solid and the fingerboard and bridge are rosewood.

The worst thing about the guitar were the plastic saddle and endpins, so out those went and in came a bone saddle which I fitted myself. Had to shim it to fit the slot. The endpins were replaced with buffalo horn pins. Now sounds excellent for its very small size - not close to the Lee, but at a fifth the price, pretty good value.
Attached Thumbnails
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here-dsc_1277.jpg  

The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here-dsc_1284.jpg  

The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here-dsc_1297.jpg  

The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here-dsc_1310.jpg  

The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here-dsc_1303.jpg  

cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 22:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Java brand? I bought one a few years back from Rhythm Musicals on Residency road, because I found it much lighter than usual guitars. In fact, our office band's lead guitarist prefers this guitar over a company-owned Ibanez!!!
I play bass, and I use Givson GB 1000, since 5 years. I couldn't find a good bass below 10k then.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 23:30   #60
BHPian

I wish one could predict how a guitar sounded, felt or played if all one had were the brand name.

In fact, the brand means absolutely nothing, even in this age of mass-produced, machine-made and machine-cut guitars. Every single unit sounds and feels different. A good guitar costs money, time and effort to make and a machine-made unit (my Walden-above, is an example of such and had to be set up after I bought it) will never be consistent as every part used to make it will be slightly off tolerance. However, there may be some diamonds in the rough.

A hand-made guitar will be far more predictable by nature. I've played $1000 guitars and $50 guitars in the same store and found many of the expensive ones not being able to compete sound-wise. Where the pricey ones do score is feel, playability, build and finish, giving a reassurance that they will last a very long time. OTOH, the handbuilts were excellent, with every unit sounding fantastic and very close to each other. Also, very pricey (starting over $2500 for most).

FWIW my bassist was using a Java bass when I did have a band. It was decent sounding, but the neck was extremely weak - the guitar eventually became unplayable due to the terrible action from the stooping neck.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote