Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th March 2017, 10:41   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Had my number for 20 years with Airtel ported to Jio in Dec 2016 influenced by promise of HD quality voice. ....

Just yesterday ported back to Airtel. What a relief!
I think the only one really happy with Jio is a friend who lives in Lucknow Cantt. Connectivity was atrocious due to limitations (bans) on towers in the Cantt and he posted two of his VIP nos to Jio. He is happy. As is a friend and neighbor here who has poor connectivity on almost all providers, BSNL, Voda, Airtel. Seems that his Jio connection is more stable.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 11:01   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

While I don't think I will ever take a Jio SIM (Somehow very paranoid about anything Reliance), am happy about their disruptive launch. Airtel suddenly rolled out a 'Celebration offer' and add 50GB to the broadband FUP limit. Vodefone called and offered a 'Corporate 5GB 4G Plan' at the same rental that I already had and was getting 1.5GB. Did the same for my wife. Couple of days back, upgraded to a 4G SIM for my wife after getting a new phone. Free 2GB for doing that. And another 8GB per month for 3 or 4 Months.

Vodafone 4G is excellent in Bangalore. So pretty happy with all the additional data.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th March 2017 at 11:26. Reason: typo
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 11:09   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

@Rajeevraj; I agree. Remember the first revolution when RIM was launched. It needs disruption for things to work. Now the focus has changed from voice to data. Many service providers are giving voice for free (eg Vodafone Red). Also, data prices have 'crashed'. I must say I enjoyed Jio while it lasted, now both my phones are on Voda Red.
Old 25th March 2017, 12:50   #229
BHPian

Went to my native place Moozhikulam, Kerala and surprised to know I have jio network with decent broadband speed. For the last year's not even BSNL had 3G network here. Kudos Jio!!
speedgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 04:48   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am more inclined to get one of those generic devices which I could use for any sim I may have. With quite a few offers coming in now a days, I could look at other service providers too, and a generic dongle will help me.
Huawei has two generic 4G dongles on Amazon. These are priced more than Jio-Fi but has the flexibility of being unlocked and according to Amazon customer comments, these dongles support Jio network. E3372 is USB only and priced at Rs. 2929, E8372 is Wi-Fi+USB just like the Jio-Fi and is priced at Rs. 3239.

Quote:
Between, do you guys mean that I don't need a 4G / VoLTE phone for activating the data packs / downloading the app for Jio?
No need for a 4G/VoLTE phone to activate data plan, just note down your Jio no. and recharge your desired plan every month using Paytm, Mobikwik etc wallet or retailer. Your usage, account details, plan validity etc can be viewed in any browser by login into Jio portal, no need for the MyJio app.

Quote:
With quite a few offers coming in now a days, I could look at other service providers too
P.S.: Do keep in mind one needs to recharge every month to continue the Prime membership, else it gets cancelled. A very smart way to keep customers hooked.

Last edited by Debajyoti : 26th March 2017 at 05:06.
Debajyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 20:52   #231
Team-BHP Support

I paid Rs 99 for the Prime membership. Was waiting to see if the offer would be extended. If not, I will buy the postpaid 300 plan tonight.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 21:18   #232

KKC Kiju:
Jio has also announced a Jio Summer Surprise exclusively for its Prime customers. Prime customers who make first recharge before April 15 using its Rs 303 plan (or higher) will get complimentary services for first three months. Regular tariff plans will be applicable from July, once the complimentary service ends.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...5-2250981.html
zhopudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 21:42   #233
BHPian

Jio Prime is extended till April 15th with a "Summer Surprise" offer.

Quote:
Reliance Jio Infocomm has announced over 72 million of its customers have signed up for Jio Prime in one month. The company claims it is “one of the most successful customer privilege programmes anywhere in the world.” Additionally, Reliance Jio has extended the deadline for purchasing its Jio Prime membership plan as well as Rs 303 and other plans till April 15.

“Considering the unprecedented demand for enrolling to JIO PRIME and doing the first recharge, Jio has extended the deadline for purchasing Jio’s Rs 303 (and other) plans till 15th April,” said Jio in a press release.

Further, Jio has announced its ‘Jio Summer Surprise’ programme for its Jio Prime members, which gives users recharging with Rs 303 or more before April 15 and additional benefit of free services for the initial 3 months on a complimentary basis.

The paid tariff plan will be applicable starting July, after the expiry of the complimentary service.The extension is aimed at providing users the necessary time and to avoid service disruption during transition from free to paid services. However, Jio’s free services will come to an end after April 15. Jio users who don’t recharge by the extended date of 15 April 15 will experience degradation and/or discontinuation of services, said the company.
Source

Last edited by Arun.K : 31st March 2017 at 21:49.
Arun.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 22:19   #234
BHPian

Can I buy jio prime and only recharge as and when I need data when I travel.

PS. Their website states that the prime offer closes on 31st March. Is the extension till 15th April confirmed?

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 31st March 2017 at 22:43.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 23:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can I buy jio prime and only recharge as and when I need data when I travel.
Got this as whatsapp forward.

- Prime membership may get suspended when the sim is inactive (or left without recharge) for 1 month
- Connection will get terminated if left unused for 90 days.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 01:06   #236
BHPian

My jio4gvoice app is giving problems. I am able to connect to 4g and signal is good.
But the app says unable to connect to jio sim with which jio4gvoice is configured.
I have a Lenovo k3note and I use it only for data.
Sometimes restarting works. Removing and reinstalling the sim also works sometimes. Sometimes it just fixes itself.
Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-screenshot_20170420010032065.jpeg
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 09:57   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

One big issue. What happens if you go abroad. Volte is unlikely to be supported. So International roaming may be not available. Of course many of us use WhatsApp to make calls.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:33   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One big issue. What happens if you go abroad. Volte is unlikely to be supported. So International roaming may be not available. Of course many of us use WhatsApp to make calls.

It does not work that way sir. Technology is carrier dependant, i.e : if Jio ties up with a carrier which supports only 3G, the device will function on 3G the way it should.

If you have used international roaming earlier, when we didnt have LTE in India, but still the phone moved to LTE while roaming internationally (if available).
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 17:17   #239
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a major Jio network problem in eastern Pune for the past 2 days. Very weak to no coverage in Bund Garden, Boat Club Rd., Koregaon Park area. Anybody else experiencing an outage in other parts of Pune? No calls possible, either incoming or outgoing. Internet connectivity is non existent. The VOLTE indicator flickers on and off and goes away after a while.

I spoke to their service rep and he said it's because of fiber cable being damaged by some municipality which has caused outages all over MH. When I asked in which city was the cable damaged he said he doesn't know. I think this is garbage. I suggested to him that Jio should have the decency to inform their customers if there are network issues either by SMS or email. He said the network would be up by 6 pm today which I take with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th June 2017 at 17:18.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 18:37   #240
BHPian

Have stayed away from Jio all along. Deep distrust of the company's business model and matching schemes launched by BSNL and Airtel were the primary reasons for this.

However, Jio seems to be desperately keen on getting me on board . It has offered a scheme whereby free WiFi will be made available to our institution for a year. The company will bear entire cost of installation including n number of routers based on our requirement. The HDD machine has already done the ground work and even the base junctions have been prepared.

The catch?

Nothing about the tarrif applicable after the free trial period has been let known as yet. My feeling is that the institution will dump Jio after one year.

And with BSNL offering unbelievably attractive data schemes, I am certainly not logging into the Jio network anytime soon .
dailydriver is online now   Reply With Quote