Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th July 2017, 18:22   #2446
BHPian

Default Re: Government scraps Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes!

This move to digital money is benefiting someone. Every transaction has added service charge. For every 100/- spent we have to pay about 2% extra. All kinds of small amounts just add up as cess. Is this factored into inflation? We have to pay extra to spend our own hard earned money, which has already been taxed.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 20:18   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Seems to be based on the over-all plan of only having small denomination notes in the market. Many other nations have already done that. Advantage being cash transactions for large values would become more cumbersome.
Is there not already a law now that cash transactions over Rs 50000 for any deal is illegal? Now for land deals, how this is going to affect is yet to be known. Because , the mode of money paid may have to be mentioned in the land deal document.
When i bought a flat in 2015, with the help of HDFC Loan and some PF money, I was made to write the HDFC Loan cheque No in the Document as well as the cheque numbers of the balance amount paid to the owner from whom i bought the flat. That was in 2015, way before demonetisation! It was in Trivandrum, Kerala
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 11:08   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Is there not already a law now that cash transactions over Rs 50000 for any deal is illegal? Now for land deals, how this is going to affect is yet to be known. Because , the mode of money paid may have to be mentioned in the land deal document.
Earlier the practice was to only show the fair value prescribed the government on the registration documents. The stamp duty etc. was also determined based on this. All other payments were either using cash, or through unrecorded transactions (like for example: builder's wive's account). In such cases it was tough to prove that cash transactions for a large amount was actually done.

I could not find an explicit law which forbids cash transactions above Rs.50,000. The earlier law said that PAN# should be recorded, and there was a plan to also tag such transactions to Aadhar. But in a "pure cash" transaction, all this would be impossible to do.

So the long term plan would be to have only small denomination notes available aplenty, and this also makes huge cash payments a difficult thing to achieve. This would also force every one to use digital or bank channels to affect payments.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 19:13   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

I could not find an explicit law which forbids cash transactions above Rs.50,000. The earlier law said that PAN# should be recorded, and there was a plan to also tag such transactions to Aadhar. But in a "pure cash" transaction, all this would be impossible to do.

Not with respect to real estate alone, but I saw in newspapers, any cash transaction above Rs 50000 is illegal! Can anybody please clarify? Or was that only a proposal mooted by Govt, yet to be made into a law?
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 08:47   #2450
Distinguished - BHPian

I expect this to be true. My brother-in-law (a retired HC-CJ) tells me that the law has been made so stringent that today it is not really on to Introduce anybody to a bank or sign guarantor to any loan. With the current strictness, banks are very keen to go after the introducer or guarantor.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 06:50   #2451
BHPian

RBIs Dividend Halved.
Quote:
The RBI (Reserve Bank of India) transferred just Rs 30,659 crore as dividend to the government for the year ended June 2017, less than half the previous year's levels. Last year, it transferred Rs 65,876 crore to the government. This year, the expectation was Rs 74,901 crore will flow into the government exchequer, partly due to the demonetisation gains...
IMO the trauma that manufacturers & markets went through during the 50 days last year (and it's after effects), have gone in vain.

If experts say it'll have a long term effect, then I'll reiterate an old saying in economics, "In the long term, we're all dead".

For now, it's been bad for the public from all sides. Why ? Because the black money generators didn't lose authority. And they're back with a vengeance.

The policies that this Govt has adopted, whether it is demonitisation, income tax laws, ad hoc cash usage & banking rules, complex & high tax as per GST, additional local taxes, weak RERA law, crazy penal fines in motor vehicles act, additional cess for SUVs etc has brought ALOT of uncertainty.

All this apart from the other problems our country faces with respect to armed rebellion of the marginalised sections in places like J&K, Chattisgarh & Assam. Then there's the notorious saffron politics.

Honestly, in this past 2 years of global economic slowdown, India was barely doing sufficiently fine, there was no need to whip the injured elephant. Once a revered premier institution, the RBI has now a stain in its reputation.

There were plenty reasons many VCs had gone short on India, we just gave them a solid one.

What a waste!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 13th August 2017 at 06:56.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 07:12   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Things will get a lot worse before they - hopefully - get better.

Before that happens, more people will have to stop being fooled all the time.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote