Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 161 34.40%
No 268 57.26%
Maybe 39 8.33%
Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th October 2011, 20:27   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

I used to big fan of crackers around 10 years ago, then I lost interest and wouldn't touch them for few 9 years, then I got married and then I had son, who is now 6 years old and very fond of crackers. So this year, I have bought it for him and all of sudden, I have again started liking them.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 20:48   #182
BHPian

I will MOST DEFINITELY burn fire crackers.

Though, this will be done in a very considerate and subtle manner. I will buy only those fireworks which brighten the darkness of the night and symbolises the true spirit of Deepawali. I will avoid loud fire crackers like sutli bombs, 555, mirchi bombs, etc. as they create noise pollution and also air pollution to some extent.

But Deepawali without fire crackers is like celebrating Bakri-Eid without sacrificing a Bakri or New Year without strolling around the city at midnight burning precious fuel.

HAPPY DIWALI and HAPPY NEW YEAR (for those who follow the Vikram Samwat)
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 21:19   #183
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, as far as I remember we all in the family used to burn fire crackers earlier, but for the last 10 to 12 yrs we dont burn the crackers.In fact our entire building is not interested in them.

Only 2 very small children of ages between 7 and 8 yrs burn them and they only enjoy with Anaars, Zamin Chakram. They are finished with the task in less then one hr.
Last year we did not celebrate any festival as I had lost my mother after prolonged illness of 7 months.She was a noble lady of just 87 yrs.
This year again it will be only sweets,lights and visiting reletives as we used to do earlier.
NO CRACKERS...Rubb Rakhaa.........

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 19th October 2011 at 21:21.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:20   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Hate the concept of firecrackers. We should rather have a common ground where we can have govt organised firecarcking sessions just for the symbolic value. I would be spending a good time of the evening comforting my Dog who would be as usually terrified of all the noises.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hate the concept of firecrackers. We should rather have a common ground where we can have govt organised firecarcking sessions just for the symbolic value. I would be spending a good time of the evening comforting my Dog who would be as usually terrified of all the noises.
Take your dog for a long drive that day.
acsandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:50   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Take your dog for a long drive that day.
Can't mate because of the so many poojas at home. Plus some friends and relatives will be coming in. A much easier solution is to play some music to drown the sound of the crackers.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:51   #187
Senior - BHPian

I am dead against the crackers. I am not in favor of burning our hard earned money into fire and smoke. But what to do I have to keep around Rs 2600 for the sake of my little grand children total 4.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:57   #188
BHPian

Smile Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Can't mate because of the so many poojas at home. Plus some friends and relatives will be coming in. A much easier solution is to play some music to drown the sound of the crackers.
Yes,probably this is the last solution you've with you,keep a bowl full of water for you lab.
Old 19th October 2011, 23:05   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Yea already posted that on the Pet thread . So whats your status BTW regarding crackers?
Old 19th October 2011, 23:11   #190
BHPian

Smile Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Yea already posted that on the Pet thread . So whats your status BTW regarding crackers?
I will burn only flowerpots and skyshots,as crackers cost a bomb now a days and dad is not paying much money for the crackers,so will burn only l"il bit of skyshots and couple of flowerpots.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:34   #191
Senior - BHPian

Many people started burning the money as crackers since a week before. Our kids share will start only on Tuesday night. One of my friend's housed street they compare in front of which house more cracker waste remaining of cracker papers remain on Diwali. That they conclude as the house spent maximum on Crackers. In fact they should tell that house people to clean the area for more air and Noise pollution.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 11:42   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

Are you burning the crackers or not?
If yes, then ok,
if no, then also ok.
Ashish-bhau, you know me enough by now to realise that I never miss an opportunity to get on the soapbox!

Yeah, I voted NO. It's not the most popular opinion in my family- the missus is hellbent on lighting some sparklers, chakras and flowerpots with the lil one. The lil one in turn is torn between the excitement her Mom promises and the fact that her teacher told her that bursting crackers causes the 'steam' (I presume she said smoke) to go into our noses and mouths and 'not allow oxygen to reach there'. I love what they teach 5 year olds these days!

Have fun your own way! But please be considerate and clean up after yourselves!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 11:50   #193
Senior - BHPian

I won't. And hope, against hope that other people follow. I can't even hear myself think when the damn crackers keep going off.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:31   #194
Senior - BHPian

Purchased lots of crackers for self and society . Looking forward for a bombastic Diwali.

Went to Hosur/Attibele and got very good deal on Standard Crackers. Oh Yes, all crackers packing mentions "Child labour not involved during manufacturing".

Happy Diwali to you all.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 12:32   #195
Senior - BHPian

I just bought crackers worth 3000 rupees (90% skyshots); will enjoy Diwali as usual.

PS – There are very few crackers shops in markets here in NCR this Diwali due to strict licensing norms due to which the prices are very steep.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote