Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 10:57   #1
BHPian
 
vamsi.kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 131
Thanked: 105 Times
Default ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) has successfully launched a record 104 satellites in a single launch using its PSLV launch vehicle. The earlier record was held by Russia, which launched 37 satellites in 2014 at one go.

ISRO is one of the few government organisations which has time and again proved its worth. In fact it earns more than what it spends on its activities, which is laudable.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/57159734.cms

Note to Moderators - Didn't find appropriate thread to post this hence starting a new thread. Please merge if there is any suitable thread.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 11:16   #2
BHPian
 
Cool_leo_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 40
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Very commendable effort by our scientists and engineers.
This feat yet again proves the technological prowess of India and our ability to carry out complex missions flawlessly.
Congratulations to ISRO and all of us.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 22:23   #3
BHPian
 
petrol_power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore/TVM
Posts: 164
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

I always used to wonder, India has rockets, missiles, nuke, but why we fail to make a proper fighter jet? Is it more technologically advanced than rocket/nuke?

Or any other reason?
petrol_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 22:30   #4
BHPian
 
deerhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PGT/PDY
Posts: 264
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I always used to wonder, India has rockets, missiles, nuke, but why we fail to make a proper fighter jet? Is it more technologically advanced than rocket/nuke?

Or any other reason?
Even now, we dont have rockets that can carry telecommunication satellites. We depend on the ESA to do our heavy lift duties.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 23:14   #5
BHPian
 
Cool_leo_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 40
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I always used to wonder, India has rockets, missiles, nuke, but why we fail to make a proper fighter jet? Is it more technologically advanced than rocket/nuke?

Or any other reason?
A fighter jet is a lot more complex machine than a rocket or nuke with a lot more subsystems which have to perform flawlessly each time or lives of people are compromised whereas a rocket or nuke is a relatively simpler machine in which fewer number of technologies (though state of the art) are needed and are relatively easier to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Even now, we dont have rockets that can carry telecommunication satellites. We depend on the ESA to do our heavy lift duties.
But the telecom satellites are among the very best in the world.
We have indeed come a long way. Please give credit where it is due.
Americans and Europeans had a head-start on technology due to their war effort in the world wars.

Also, they don't have to feed 1.35 billion mouths, so they can very well afford their expensive toys and fetishes, and oh! the tech as well.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 12:14   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 147
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Even now, we dont have rockets that can carry telecommunication satellites. We depend on the ESA to do our heavy lift duties.
I would like to correct this. If you look at the ISRO website http://www.isro.gov.in/launchers/gslv, you can see that GSAT1, 2, 4, 5P, 6 and 14, as well as EDUSAT, and INSAT 4CR were launched using the GSLV. The GSLV has become operational and the next launch carrying the SAR satellite is scheduled for end of March or early April. These are the 2 ton satellites. With the availability of GSLV Mark 3 later in the year, India will be able to launch 4 ton satellites.
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 12:19   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 147
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) has successfully launched a record 104 satellites in a single launch using its PSLV launch vehicle. The earlier record was held by Russia, which launched 37 satellites in 2014 at one go.

ISRO is one of the few government organisations which has time and again proved its worth. In fact it earns more than what it spends on its activities, which is laudable.
ISRO has not done this to create a world record, but because the order book had this many satellites in the C37 launch manifest. Every PSLV launch can accommodate a number of nanosatellites (weighing less than 10 kg) if the orbit is suitable.
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 13:47   #8
BHPian
 
deerhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PGT/PDY
Posts: 264
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I would like to correct this. If you look at the ISRO website http://www.isro.gov.in/launchers/gslv, you can see that GSAT1, 2, 4, 5P, 6 and 14, as well as EDUSAT, and INSAT 4CR were launched using the GSLV. The GSLV has become operational and the next launch carrying the SAR satellite is scheduled for end of March or early April. These are the 2 ton satellites. With the availability of GSLV Mark 3 later in the year, India will be able to launch 4 ton satellites.
ISRO is an organisation that makes every Indian proud. Within the limited budget allocated to them, they are functioning extremely successfully. But the fact that we are still depending on foreign powers for our heavy lift needs is slightly disconcerting. India has successfully launched only 4 2-ton satellites till now, while all the modern full fledged telecommunication satellites are in the 4-ton range. Hope the GSLV Mk 3 succeeds.

Last edited by deerhunter : 16th February 2017 at 13:48.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 15:23   #9
BHPian
 
vamsi.kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 131
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
ISRO has not done this to create a world record, but because the order book had this many satellites in the C37 launch manifest. Every PSLV launch can accommodate a number of nanosatellites (weighing less than 10 kg) if the orbit is suitable.
Of course their aim was not to create a record, but eventually it was. I was just acknowledging it.

While I have no knowledge about space missions, I read that it is not just the weight of the payload that makes it difficult but the fact that the detachment of so many satellites in their orbits has to be timed perfectly, which is more difficult.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 21st February 2017 at 15:24. Reason: incomplete sentence
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 15:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,045
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Good PR, but technically may not that great.

The bigger event imho is the testing on the larger cryogenic engine. Why, modern communication satellites are heavier and bigger, so these motors are required to launch them into geo-synchronous orbits.

I am waiting the the AGSLV launch.

Also, one finger to the yanks for all the hue and cry about cryogenic engines.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:18   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 208
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: ISRO successfully launches a record 104 satellites!

Give them unlimited budget and ISRO can make cryogenic engines, and rockets with >6 ton lifting capacity in 2-3 years. It's because of budget constraints that if one experimental rocket with ingeniously developed cryo engine fails, ISRO usually takes anything between 6 months to a year to test another one.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - cannot tune 104 FM - NOW SOLVED normally_crazy In-Car Entertainment 26 21st December 2015 12:19
TATA-ISRO to develop Hydrogen Fuel Cell car srishiva The Indian Car Scene 15 12th November 2008 15:45
New Safari Dicor - 2.2 ltr (Scoop: Brochure on page 104) SUV The Indian Car Scene 1634 4th October 2007 11:44
MARUTI ALTO SETS NEW RECORD... Breaks 800's record set in 2003... CrAzY dRiVeR The Indian Car Scene 4 7th December 2006 04:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks