Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 12:12   #406
NMS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 131
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Our preferred place for burgers, sandwiches and all that junk called 'Linger On' on Baner road has moved to a new location near Balewadi phata.

So last week, when we felt a hankering for this junk stuff, we went to a place called ZODIAC. The place is near the LG showroom and opposite the DHL courier shop.

Overall, 3.5-4 / 5 rating from my side. The place is small and the ambiance is OK types.

More info here: http://www.zomato.com/pune/the-zodia...ad/info#tabtop
Hey Ajay,

I stay close by, to where the Linger On Cafe has moved. Is it Yunwhich that you are speaking about?
Thanks for the information about Zodiac, I have been thinking of going there for quite a while! Guess now is the time

Any chance we can organize a mini meet around Baner some time, Guess there are quite a few members from around Baner! Hotel Tulsi opposite Symantec serves decent Chai ! What say guys?

Another thing I have been wondering !

Whenever I have traveled down south, I have had some really nice non vegetarian food. Can any one suggest a few places in Pune where once can get good Southie Nonveg. Ambience doesn't really matter so much as long as the food is authentic.

Last edited by NMS : 9th October 2013 at 12:18.
NMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 12:31   #407
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,628
Thanked: 9,103 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Overall, 3.5-4 / 5 rating from my side. The place is small and the ambiance is OK types.

More info here: http://www.zomato.com/pune/the-zodia...ad/info#tabtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Hey Ajay,

Any chance we can organize a mini meet around Baner some time, Guess there are quite a few members from around Baner! Hotel Tulsi opposite Symantec serves decent Chai ! What say guys?
We did one at Idlicious some time ago with Guderian and gang attending from Mumbai.

Incidentally hope you guys know there is a tapri meet planned this Saturday night ? Didn't see Ajay in the list so checking.

Last edited by noopster : 9th October 2013 at 12:32. Reason: Added linky!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 12:31   #408
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,574
Thanked: 6,039 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
I stay close by, to where the Linger On Cafe has moved. Is it Yunwhich that you are speaking about?
Thanks for the information about Zodiac, I have been thinking of going there for quite a while! Guess now is the time
Try Habitat cafe at Balewadi phata as well. They serve some really good sandwiches. Their rating on Zomato is good too.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 12:40   #409
NMS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 131
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
We did one at Idlicious some time ago with Guderian and gang attending from Mumbai.

Incidentally hope you guys know there is a tapri meet planned this Saturday night ? Didn't see Ajay in the list so checking.
Damn !! I missed the one at Idlicious! I have added my name in the tapri meet list !

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Try Habitat cafe at Balewadi phata as well. They serve some really good sandwiches. Their rating on Zomato is good too.
Absolutely agree ! I have been there a couple of times and really loved the Sandwiches !

Last edited by NMS : 9th October 2013 at 12:42.
NMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 13:02   #410
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 284
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

For South Indian breakfast, head towards south side of the Pune. There is nondescript place called 'Nagbramham' in Maharshi nagar (near Mukund nagar), off Satara road. This is more like Tapari with 4-5 tables to sit. They have most of south indian snacks, but their specialty is Appam.

We are big fan of this place. Not sure how good it is from south indian standard. Do try it. Do not go on Sunday morning as there is queue for parcels with waiting time of an hour.

Recently tried TGIF in new Seasons mall. A bit let down compared to my experience of same chain in US. Non-vegetarian food was still ok, but their vegetarian version of some mexican dishes was horrible.

Also visited Spice Story on Baner road. 8-9 months back we had some good dishes here. But in my recent visit, I was not so happy with the food. But they have good ambience and liked that tables are spaced quite apart from each other.

Also tried a vegetarian place next to BMW showroom in camp. Good place if you are going with family.

Last edited by radek : 9th October 2013 at 13:04.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 21:56   #411
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 89
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Thanks to everyone who brought Fakruddin to my notice.
I got half kg today ( couldn't wait till the weekend after going through the thread) for 400rs from their wanowrie outlet
I have to admit it's a really good one and me and wifey really enjoyed it. Really tasty and well spiced.

Talking of wanowrie, there is a new restaurant on salunke vihar road named Mini punjab.
It serves awesome tandoori chicken and kebabs. It's a must try.
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 00:35   #412
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Thanks to everyone who brought Fakruddin to my notice.
I got half kg today ( couldn't wait till the weekend after going through the thread) for 400rs from their wanowrie outlet
I have to admit it's a really good one and me and wifey really enjoyed it. Really tasty and well .
Great, hope u tried mutton, they also do mutton boneless which is a bit more pricey but every bite worth, as i have a doubt but not confimed is that camp branch has better cook, though they will give only in multiple of kilos, try next time and share your feedback
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 07:51   #413
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 89
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Great, hope u tried mutton, they also do mutton boneless which is a bit more pricey but every bite worth, as i have a doubt but not confimed is that camp branch has better cook, though they will give only in multiple of kilos, try next time and share your feedback
Nope, no mutton. My wife doesnt eat mutton. Will try that when I have friends over.
And ya, camp one next time. This is too close so didnt want to go all the way
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 07:55   #414
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,574
Thanked: 6,039 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

For the benefit of those who love Idlicious, it has now moved to Baner. Here are the new location details:

A Guide: Eating out in Pune-idli.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Pune-idlicious.jpg
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 09:16   #415
BHPian
 
ironshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 107
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Somehow, PCMC area seems to be neglected on this thread.

Following are some of the places that are a MUST VISIT even if you don't stay in PCMC area :

1) Vasu Vada Pav center - one of the most amazing Vada Pav that you'll ever have. This guy has been running business for the past ~15 years now and is the most loved vada pav wala in PCMC.

2) Ramdev Baba Dhaba - Simple rajasthani food. His Daal Bhati is to die for. This outlet is located in Transport Nagar behind the Bhakti Shakti monument.

3) Sammy's Sandwiches - This "sandwich on wheels" outlet dishes out amazingly tasty sandwiches. Located in Bhel Chowk in Pradhikaran.

4) Misal - There are multiple lipsmacking misal joints in PCMC. Some prominent ones listed below :

a) Nevale Misal - PCMC Tbhpians visit here regularly. This place is famous for its fiery misal. Located in Chinchwadgaon.

b) Kavi Misal - again, must visit. Located near Morya Gosavi temple in Chinchwadgaon. PCMC Tbhpian's mini meets happen quite often here.

c) Jayeshree Misal - Located opp. Bajaj Gate in Akurdi.

5) Delhi Swad - Located in Pradhikaran, this guy dishes out authentic North Indian food. His Rajma Chawal is out of this world. Evenings, expect the most amazing "chaat" authentic delhi style. Chhole Chaat, Samosa Chaat, gol gappe ufff.

6) Rajan Snacks - Again, located in Bhel Chowk, this guy serves authentic south indian (when I say authentic, I mean AUTHENTIC and not udupi style). Weekdays its usually snacks but he serves amazing lunch on weekends. Rassam Rice and Sambar rice is a must have (unlimited with 2 sabzi's and papad for 70 Rs./- per plate).

The usual Vaishali's, Goodluck's and Katakirr's normally overshadaow other venues. I would love to see a Tbhp breakfast meet happen in PCMC.

I bet, it won't be a disappointment. Also, the early morning amazing drive from city to PCMC is an added bonus as well .

Some snaps that I could dig up.

Pic 1 below - Kavi Misal. This was during a Tbhp Mini Meet.
Pic 2 below - Ramdev Baba Dhaba - Awesome Daal Bhati Thali.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Pune-img_1149.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Pune-img_1168.jpg  


Last edited by ironshark : 10th October 2013 at 09:37. Reason: added text.
ironshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 09:38   #416
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,610
Thanked: 1,863 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Had Vada Pav at Chintu's vadapao. This looks to be a new place.
He serves some interesting variations on the regular vada pao. 8/10 for Taste and 9/10 for innovation. Seemed hygienic with rates comparable to road side vendors.
I went to this place yesterday. My opinion differs.
Taste 3/10. I have too many suggestions, which I will not offer here.
Hygiene 8/10
Innovation 7/10
Implementation of innovative ideas - 2/10. For implementing his ideas, he cannot have the same wada inside every pav. There needs to be at least one different version with less chillies to go with mint/ mayo for example.
By the way, addition of a cheese slice and naming it cheese wada pav doesnt really show up as innovation for me. It does have a lot of potential, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Non maharashtrians flock to places like Potoba and Bedekar and rave about the food when any local knows they are now utter crap.
Gharaachi aathvan. Reminds you of home.
Indeed it does. They make such horrendous food that you are automatically reminded of home cooked food!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
1) Vasu Vada Pav center - one of the most amazing Vada Pav that you'll ever have. This guy has been running business for the past ~15 years now and is the most loved vada pav wala in PCMC.
Aah yes, Vaasu anna. I remember eating from his tapri around 20 years ago. When we used to sum up all the 25 paise coins we had, to pay for the wada pav that cost 1.25 back then. 1 rupee for the wada and 25 paise for the pav. At that time his tapri was located next to bhel chowk. A few years later he had bought a shop in that complex behind his tapri, but no idea if the original tapri still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
6) Rajan Snacks - Again, located in Bhel Chowk, this guy serves authentic south indian (when I say authentic, I mean AUTHENTIC and not udupi style). Weekdays its usually snacks but he serves amazing lunch on weekends. Rassam Rice and Sambar rice is a must have (unlimited with 2 sabzi's and papad for 70 Rs./- per plate).
where exactly is this? please dont give me a google map! is it towards kaach ghar or dhanvantri hospital (if it still exists)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Pic 2 below - Ramdev Baba Dhaba - Awesome Daal Bhati Thali.
That looks awesome, especially with all that oil floating around! considering its in transport nagar, it would not be a family friendly place, would it?

Re edit: Thanks for the reminder of all the misal places. I am sure I have done my bit to keep these places running over the years. By the way, there used to be an awesome bhurji pav stall in the evenings at Chapekar chowk. Is he still around?

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th October 2013 at 09:48.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 10:00   #417
BHPian
 
vaibhav amlekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Anyone heard of little italy? I prefer it more for italian food. Also there is a good place called TRIKAYA.
vaibhav amlekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 11:38   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,610
Thanked: 1,863 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav amlekar View Post
Anyone heard of little italy? I prefer it more for italian food. Also there is a good place called TRIKAYA.
Little Italy - was there yesterday. It is quite good, especially if you like thin crust pizzas. Risottos are ok ish. I personally dont like their buffet.

Trikaya also is very good, more so with the ambience. Cuisine is pan asian, but its nice to know they use the correct ingredients in the correct measures!

Both places are a bit on the expensive side for people like me
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 12:08   #419
BHPian
 
ironshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 107
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Balaji, were you staying in Pradhikaran? you seem to know the area in detail.
Anyways, my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Aah yes, Vaasu anna. I remember eating from his tapri around 20 years ago. When we used to sum up all the 25 paise coins we had, to pay for the wada pav that cost 1.25 back then. 1 rupee for the wada and 25 paise for the pav. At that time his tapri was located next to bhel chowk. A few years later he had bought a shop in that complex behind his tapri, but no idea if the original tapri still exists.
Balaji, the original tapri is gone.


Quote:
where exactly is this? please dont give me a google map! is it towards kaach ghar or dhanvantri hospital (if it still exists)?
It is towards Dhanvantari Hospital (yes, it still exists).


Quote:
That looks awesome, especially with all that oil floating around! considering its in transport nagar, it would not be a family friendly place, would it?
It's oil on the daal and bhatis are in GHEEE . Though in transport nagar, it is very much a family place. Infact, during peak hours, you'll find more families than truckers.

Quote:
Re edit: Thanks for the reminder of all the misal places. I am sure I have done my bit to keep these places running over the years. By the way, there used to be an awesome bhurji pav stall in the evenings at Chapekar chowk. Is he still around?
Yes, he is still around.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see
(How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)this thread (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Thanks!


Last edited by moralfibre : 10th October 2013 at 13:39. Reason: See note in post.
ironshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 13:32   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,610
Thanked: 1,863 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Balaji, were you staying in Pradhikaran? you seem to know the area in detail.
Anyways, my replies in bold.
Thanks for the replies! Oil I can digest, ghee I dont like

Yes, I lived in Pradhikaran for the first 20 years of my life. Too many changes now, but thats true of every other place.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3606 22nd August 2017 09:03
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks