Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd November 2006, 12:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclamation Come Nov15 and CCTP on the prowl for number plates that are not as per specs ...

There was an article in the newspaper (The Hindu, I think) a few days ago which mentioned that after Nov 15th, the traffic cops would be catching vehicles that do not have number plates conforming to the specifications.

The specifications mentioned for cars is
Height of letters / numerals : 65 mm
Width of letters / numerals : 10 mm
Space between them : 10 mm

This definitely applies to the Chennai motorists. Don't know about other cities. So, Chennai tbhp-ians, check whether your license plates meet the specifications. If not, do the needful to ensure that you are not pulled over and fined by the CCTP (Chennai City Traffic Police) in their NYPD-lookalike Accents.

Mods, please merge if a similar thread exists. Did a search, but could not find one on this topic.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The specifications mentioned for cars is
Height of letters / numerals : 65 mm
Width of letters / numerals : 10 mm
Space between them : 10 mm

This definitely applies to the Chennai motorists.
thanks for the update bro... btw my car has the standard plates that came from the dealer... no fancy customisations of the number or the plates itself... do i still need to be cautious? cos explaining something to the cops is one thing... and explaining in a dialect either of us cannot exchange is another....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

aditya, if you are using the stock plates, you should be OK. Because most of the dealer plates have the lettering in much bigger font size than the specifications.
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stock plates from the dealer reminds me of the notice board in school . The thght for the day thingy which used to be written real big and bold.
Gossshhh have to change the number plates again
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
aditya, if you are using the stock plates, you should be OK. Because most of the dealer plates have the lettering in much bigger font size than the specifications.
I don't know about others, but when i bought my bike, i had to go and get the number written on the plate. the plate could be standard, but you never know about the numbers writen by our new age artists.

better to check it for yourself.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

hmm.. this rule is in action from July / August over here in Chandigarh... One of my friend got caught and he bribed the policeman...
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 21:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

well you know upna mumbai police...it will go on for a bit and then it will stop...like now so many cops dont notice helmets,seatbelts...mh 04's....jet black tints...so its just a phase the cops wake up and then go back to sleep.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 22:33   #8
BHPian

If i remember correctly,last NDA govt had made it mandatory to fix number plates only from authorised dealers,the contract of which had been given to only one person in India.there was a big controversy coz of this.
Whenever i go to local 'car shingar' shop,that guy reminds me to fix this govt authorised number plate [as he is local dealer of this number plate] o/w i may have trouble if i go outside Punjab.[may be in states ruled by BJP+allies]
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 00:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the heads-up,Supremebaleno!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 00:25   #10
BHPian

How come the Font or the Language is not specified? Aren't they also important? I have seen several vehicles using unreadable or difficult to read fonts.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 01:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

well mine is also small font and it makes the car look good....definetly not going to change it to the fonts given by the cops...
Old 5th November 2006, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

people still have marathi plates and still enter airport premises with the same.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 12:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

well i think there is special permission need for those kind of number plates.
Old 6th November 2006, 09:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I am in a dilemna now on what to do about my license plates.

My Baleno came with stock plates given by the dealer, which I found out, were made with the worst metal that you could find, given the fact that it started rusting after just a few months. Since the rust could spread to the body (rear plates), I decided to dump them and go for a nice pair of plastic plates.

Based on the reference from a fellow bhp-ian (GTS) who had one made for his new Baleno, I went to a shop on G.P.Road, which had all sorts of fonts adorning the shop. I selected a very simple, no frills font. My only condition was that it conform to the official lettering size (at that time, I was not aware of the exact official specs). The guy said the plates they make conform to the specs. A day later, I happily collected the new plates, which I am using for the past 1.5 months.

However, after reading the news article, I find that my plate would not meet the specs fully. The spacing part would be sort of OK. But the letter/numeral width and height, though not very small, is still a bit less than what is specified. I don't want to be flagged by the cops and I feel cheated by the guy. I am planning to take it back to him and get it done as per the specs.

Hey GTS, what size is the font on your plates ? Does it meet the specs ?
Old 6th November 2006, 16:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

dont think we should worry so much its just a phase. my car is back from paint and am planning to go for silver back with black fonts
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote