Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd November 2006, 15:58   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default SCAM Alert on Indian Credit Cards

So got a charge for close to 40 grand on my Credit card. It looked fishy and didnt tally with my records.

My credit card company was called, and the charge was disputed. And as with most things in life...I found the answer on google. The charge was to a company with the toll-free number: 8885969279 and was billed to CCBILLEU8885969279. I only did a search for "8885969279" to know what lies beneath.

Turns out, I am the victim of a huge internet scam and there are several others who have got wrongful billing from this company. Just do a google for that phone number and see the results for yourself.

My credit card agent told me that there are several Indian credit cards that are affected by this scam in the recent past. I sincerely hope all of you tally your accounts before paying up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to add, this particular scam is restricted to visas. Not Mastercard etc.
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:04   #3
BANNED

How much was the actual scammed amount? Asking because I've just had a busy month with the card and I'm paranoid about this kind fo stuff.

Last edited by Boom Shiva : 3rd November 2006 at 16:05.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the heads-up!

Now I need to check Statements of all my VISA Cards.....!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yep. The frequency of such incidents is up.

My publishing firm has an online store where we sell our books. We've been facing more and more disputes on purchases -- with people using somebody elses identity and card details to buy books. Luckily that somebody figures it out sooner or later (usually within 3 months) and disputes the charge with our payment gateway. And we lose the money, and the books :-( The figures involved per transaction are so small it isn't worth following up on each issue either. Luckily because we can prove that the books were actually sent, we are supposed to get partially reimbursed by the CC company 6 months after we put in a claim. The first one hasn't come in yet... (another 4 months to go).

Even the sellers are getting hit this way. Grrrrr...

You folks be sure to check your statements, even for small amounts.

Last edited by hydrashok : 3rd November 2006 at 16:09.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info GTO... Did u do some online shopping of late?

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 3rd November 2006 at 16:09.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

i am the latest victim of this scam. billed for 5ok , all king fisher tickets and one air deccan. kingfisher dosent bother to check anything and they are very rude in talking to you. one month back my friend got a 25k bill which is still not yet cleared. i would suggest all to cancell their existing cards and take new replacements. we can hope the new data will not leak out soon.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:34   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I do a ton of online shopping consistently. But all of my purchases have pretty much been with the established vendors, or through paypal.

In my 10 years of credit card usage, this is the first time that my card has been scammed.
Old 3rd November 2006, 19:01   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys i dont think this is a SCAM, i think ur comp isn't secure. Probably someone hacked it and loaded a keylogger or some other sh|t. Thus getting ur Card #'s whenever u typed them.

But I'm checking my statements too, as i book all our family and office tickets online.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 20:10   #10
BHPian

When you want a second credit card, dont give the 'front and back xerox' of your old card to save time. This is the easiest way to be conned, since he has your date of expiry and also the CVV number at the back. That is all that is need to make purchases through phone or net.

If you still give the xerox, make sure the CVV is scratched out.

Only DSA's ask for this xerox. Banks never do this.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 21:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

this scam has happened to my card which i never used online. what i have been using online has not yet fallen for scam thankfully. this has happened through some organized data removal or from branded store exec.
i would suggest all to remove the three letter code frm behind the card and keep it somewhere else. dont know if someone took the numbers while swiping. its not a big deal.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote