Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th August 2017, 18:30   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Gymkhana / Club Memberships - Are they worth it?

Dear Dieseltuned, glad to hear you have taken a call based on your needs and priorities. And all of us have enjoyed this dialogue on clubs. I can see you are a young man who thinks ahead and has invested in a house. Right thing to do. A club is a similar investment provided it is the right one - proximity, access, facilities, standards etc. If and when you go for a club membership aim for the highest and best you can access. Don't waste your money on the half baked outfits - a club has to be one you feel proud to say I am a member. As mentioned in my earlier post I am not a club wallah but both club memberships have fully paid for themselves on the business front. As your career grows, as it surely will, clubs have some role to play in client entertainment, building relationships, net working, being seen et al. One club in Lutyens Delhi I use mainly for entertaining Govt and PSU guests as they feel at ease there. The other, a golf club, is used mainly for the customers, OEMs, foreigners, MNC executives etc. The clubs play no role in my social life. But I am glad I took the memberships when I did. As for passing it on to the kids - that may be too far off if I live long enough! - not a relevant factor.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 01:27   #32
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Many of you have suggested to go for the membership keeping in mind that the club allows transfer of ownerships to children/wife. But, In my specific case my daughter is just 3 years old and how can I guess where in part of the world she might choose to stay, where she might pursue her education / career ? So, buying that membership keeping in mind that it will be transferable to my daughter seems a bit confusing to me and has me in 2 minds.
Your daughter may only be 3 years old but it is probably a good idea to expose her to various sports in a few years' time (when she is 6 or 7 years old) and see where things go from there. This can have a very positive impact (both physical and mental) on her regardless of whether she decides to take something up seriously. Oh and here's some motivation to pick up a few sports yourself

PS: I'm assuming that the gymkhana has facilities for coaching small children in multiple sports. If it doesn't, this post is rather useless
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:35   #33
BHPian

Rs.1 million is a fair price if the club is worth it. I am a member of two clubs in Chennai and I use, atleast, one of them quite regularly. It could be swimming pool, gym, restaurant and more often that not, bar. Made tonnes of friends. Not necessarily net working. I picked up the memberships for a jaw dropping price. Check, most clubs have many categories of membership. Not necessarily all of them are expensive.
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 22:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
Which year is it? 1984?

Clubs are pretentious & obviously a thing of past. I see people commenting here mentioning that your children will benefit 20 years from now, when they want to become members of this club. Your children might not even stay in your city or country (or even earth, if Elon Musk's dream of Mars habitation become true).

You will get all the gym amenities at a competitive price around your house. You just need to logon to Zomato and find out n number of restaurants/bars to try every day.

Clubs are a thing of past, no point putting your hard earned money to something which always reeked of elitism.
Agree with you mostly. Its elitist mentality that the British brought to India and I think even they have discarded it

Since the clubs have a captive audience, they make no special effort other than maintain basic food quality. Friends took me to a couple of clubs, one in Blr and another in Mumbai. Both places the decor was dated and felt like walking into the 80s and clientele were all silver haired. Like GTO mentioned, you run into the same group every Sunday and eat the same food and become oblivious to the latest and greatest spots in your city. Its literally like being in jail

In today's egalitarian society (especially in the US) a club like this is a joke

Having said that, the number one purpose of joining a club is to network with people in the same socio economic class and has very little to do with facilities, discounts etc

Last edited by Mpower : 9th September 2017 at 22:37.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote