Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th January 2008, 11:33   #136
Senior - BHPian

Couple of things running through my mind:

1.) Where are the women's rights organisations, Nari Shakti blah blah that raise a big hue and cry over Mallika Sherawat's costumes but utter nothing about common women getting molested. Last time I saw a few of these over zealous organisations were busy blackening faces of men including doctor's, principals, teachers etc suspected of molesting women. Where are they now?

2.) Where is the Shiv Sena and the MNS? These guys have done their own smashing clinics, colleges, ripping off clothes of principals and doctors and blackening their faces over supsected molestation and eve teasing of women. For once can these parties do something constructive? Why can't they use their shaka's to track down these guys and give them the punishment they are well known for? And for once, the common man will support the shiv sena if they do this.

3.) Why do couples holding hands sitting on a sea front outrage us? Why is a couple holding hands obscene and a group of men molesting women a trivial matter? Ironically, TOI reported that a Shiv Sena corporator alongwith cops shooed away couples sitting in the park at 5 gardens, Dadar on 31st afternoon because they were, as usual, indulging in obscene behavior in public.

4.) The cops warned Bipasha Basu, Koena Mitra and Tanushree Datta about covering themselves up fully during their new year performances. Instead of tracking what bollywood heroines are wearing on stage inside 5 star hotels, shouldn't the cops be more concerned about what happens to women outside?

Lastly, Feb 14, Valentine's Day is coming up. Expect the Shiv Sena to crank up their protest a notch higher citing this same incident.

The Shiv Sena chief already said such incidents are happening due to the influx of outsiders into Mumbai. Looks like he hasn't gone through the list of names of the 14 arrested. There are some 'insiders' in that list too.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 12:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
on empowerment of women:
how many of our women can do the same stuff that we can do. if we are in an accident, ill or getting mugged, can they drive us away fast? can they fix the roof if it rains? can they take care of the move of the house? I believe they have chosen their own hell by staying indoors.

Since 90% of womenkind has given control to the men, how can you expect the men to spare the rest 10%, considering we still live in jungle mentality where every chance of looting others is utilised to it's full extent.

PS: show my post to anybody and 95% of people will not even understand why I am talking about women getting out. around 80% will think I am some kind of pervert and a religious/social death order should be issued against me .

PPS: So we decide to stay safe, follow the conservative style and tell our women to stay indoor forever, and this is what we get.

the part i have highlighted is rubbish

try to understand one thing,respected for women has no connectin with their empowerment

i agree with the last point and i have also mentioned it in my last post

you must understand that if you honestly want to avoid such incidents and provide a secure life for women you have to change then men of this country not the women

you will have to generate respect for women within men

if empowerment was the cause why are so many foreign tourists getting raped?

and believe it or not

if a woman in USA return home safely from a beach wearing her bikini

then remember its not just because of the police force and womens empowermnt
its also because the men in that country are not so sensitive towards women sexuality
as they are here
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 17:19   #138
Team-BHP Support

Just spoke to my 17 year old niece who went to rave into the City of London during the new year. She got pinched, groped by people, mainly eastern european.

I just hope there were no other unspoken incident in Mumbai and just that one.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 19:32   #139
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Amtak has put it quite well. What we need is stringent laws against molestation, rape and the will to enforce it. A bit more compassiontoward the victims. We cannot even begin to think of the trauma they are going through.
I hear this on all news channels, newspapers and from every commentator that we need to have stringent laws.

I dont think making the laws any more stringent will curb this menace. What we need is sctual enforcement of whatever laws we have. If there are 100 complaints of eve-teasing, i can bet that in only 2-3 cases is the culprit actually punished. This is the reason these incidents occur - culprits think they wont be convicted.

Even if eve-teasers are jailed for 1 day, that would be a sufficient punishment. Most of these folks live a normal life. When they are actually arrested and jailed for even 1 day, their family, women in their life, their neighbours, colleagues etc would come to know about it and that shame & social stigma itself will be a great deterrent.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 20:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
try to understand one thing,respected for women has no connectin with their empowerment
respect in any society has to be earned. if you expect others to mysteriously start respecting you, well, you are in for a surprise.

Quote:
you must understand that if you honestly want to avoid such incidents and provide a secure life for women you have to change then men of this country not the women

you will have to generate respect for women within men
How? read my point above

Quote:
if empowerment was the cause why are so many foreign tourists getting raped?
because in this country, men (and law enforcement) are still not used to the changed social scenario i was talking about. they fall with the rest 10% of the locals.

Quote:
and believe it or not

if a woman in USA return home safely from a beach wearing her bikini

then remember its not just because of the police force and womens empowermnt
its also because the men in that country are not so sensitive towards women sexuality
as they are here
ever wondered why? it's created over a period of years with social interactions, strong law enforcement, but above all knowing that a woman will kick their a$$ if they do something wrong. Since they have seen their family members in bathing suits, they do not automatically think women wearing those have a loose character.

disclaimer: before anybody starts giving more examples, i agree perverts are everywhere, just not like a mob that we saw here.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 08:48   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
So how can Apni Dilli and related areas be any behind?

Woman molested in Gurgaon mall- Hindustan Times

Those who have Daughter/Sister at home, be EXTRA CAUTIOUS

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th January 2008 at 08:52.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post

Those who have Daughter/Sister at home, be EXTRA CAUTIOUS
I would say, if you have a lady around you (in family/office even a stranger) try your level best to save her from such people.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 22:14   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I would say, if you have a lady around you (in family/office even a stranger) try your level best to save her from such people.

this is one case where only prevention works
there is no such thing as cure
so i guess thats the best suggesion you can put in practice
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 22:17   #144
Senior - BHPian

Its come to an extent where anytime you need to be with a lady outside in a commerical area, try your best to be in a big group and have atleast 2-3 guys at any given time.You never know when such *^%^*$%*& turn up,and begin to create havoc.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:01   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

This has just occured to me. Maybe its a little trite, and I'm sure people here with family will probably have thought it out way back...

The best thing anybody can do, for the future, is to make sure that their kids, especially the boys, from earliest age, know and understand that this is behaviour is utterly wrong.

Some guy, I don't know who, once said that it is possible to change the world in just one one generation --- with education.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 01:27   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This has just occured to me. Maybe its a little trite, and I'm sure people here with family will probably have thought it out way back...

The best thing anybody can do, for the future, is to make sure that their kids, especially the boys, from earliest age, know and understand that this is behaviour is utterly wrong.

Some guy, I don't know who, once said that it is possible to change the world in just one one generation --- with education.
Rightly said! I guess education can do a lot,but the other aspect that's often missing is the upbringing. Many parents try to get their kids to behave well,and inculcate certain habits from a very early age.Those really pay off in the long run,and these help mould the child into a good human being.Respect for others,and a fair amount of civic sense takes the forefront,and those are some of the most important traits one can have.

There are some families that don't care about these things.For them,everything else is more important. If they were to raise their kids and put some sense into them while still young,past adolesence,the chances of these kids misbehaving or acting like perverts definitely reduces.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 10:56   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What i would do is train my kids in the art of self-defence, right from an early age. They may not be able to defeat a mob, but they wont go down without a fight.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 11:07   #148
BHPian

Sirs...did we have to start a thread for this pls????

What happened was unfortunate though. I myself have been witness to two such occassions at Mumbai & Calcutta earlier. There is not much anyone could do about. Why blame the cops for their sheer pleasures???

They say prevention is better than cure....meaning they did not have to stroll down at that time in the night. They could have very well taken a cab OR sit tight in their spaces.
m3_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

What happened was very unfortunate and on ocassions like this one must be on guard for sure as there are people on the prowl and may be there must have been some provocation on either side and things might have gone horribly wrong.
I had been a witness to such similar incidents in school and college fetes where the power goes for about a few mins and groups of vouyeristic men just prowl on women...

Its a sorry state of affairs and i think the women were totally caught off guard, stressed and tormented.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:23   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
... being a housewife is the soul way they can return to men for the men do for them
Hmm... seems a pretty soulless way to me. Luckily this is not the sole opinion around here
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote