Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd January 2008, 18:59   #61
Team-BHP Support

Very sad event and its got lot to do with mob psychology, once things start its very difficult to have any control.

I dont know if its education, pervertism, social inequality, insecurity or something else, but yes such things can happen and best is to avoid the situation (atleast in India). In this case poor victims wouldnt even have realized that they were getting in between such b*** crowds.

Hope our legal system takes some stern action and the news channels publicize the punishment as much as they do this unfortunate event.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:01   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This is very disgusting and shameful. I just pray the culprits get the punishment they deserve.
The culprits will get away scott free because the cops would do nothing. In fact they will take action against people who took action.

Check this out: Lalu's two sons thrashed for alleged eve-teasing

Now the cops have registered case against people who took against the eve-teasers.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:02   #63
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well people just blame alcohol for everything but it is not true.
There is this old saying "MOB IS MAD" and it showed out in these cases. The cops should be there at any place where a crowd is gathering and should not be sitting in their vans waiting for someone to complain about such incidents.
Also people got to take some precaution while venturing out at night.
Well you may not agree with me that we got freedom etc etc but you just dont know what kinda people are also lurking around. Its better to be safe than sorry.
Well these mobs must be prevented and if this keeps happening than you got to start acting with draconian laws in the hands of the cops which is not good
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:12   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Very good point.
If alcohol was the culprit, we would be having 1000s of molestations/rape issues on a daily basis.
There are. They happen in homes all over, not just India, but the world.

But alcohol only removes the inhibition, it doesn't take away from us any of the responsibility for what we might do.

Quote:
Its the crowd mentality, when in a crowd, anything goes kind of attitude.
If individuals willonly think then mob rule won't happen.

Quote:
The best punishment for these guys should be taken from the books of Saudi Arabia (and many more Islamic nations).

Catch them & Castrate them.
The first thing that system would have done is to punish the women for being there, and severely too; like men can't be held responsible, it's all women's fault.

Quote:
They should be given a chance to live & regret every moment of it. This will definitely set a very good example for any future would-be molesters/rapists.
I don't know that countering barbarity with barbarity has ever worked.

I had a friend who was fond of saying, "This wouldn't happen in Saudi."

Wouldn't it? So that's why there are so many public executions, then, I suppose?

Don't think it doesn't make me sick and angry too, and if it was my wife or daughter or sister, and you gave me the knife, I'd be cutting bits off too.

You know, like the parents that send their kid out to drive in a big car, and people die? I could feed those people their child. Especially if they're vegetarians.

The law is supposed to prevent that kind of gut reaction, administer fair and reasonable justice in an impersonal way.

If it doesn't, and mob rule, or even personal revenge, takes over, that is a failure of civilisation itself.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Punishment ? Let the police round them up and then let a crowd loose on their mothers and sisters. Then we see - whether they jump in with the crowd or against the crowd .

i have heard of this kind of punishment in remote parts of pakistan. not sensible either.

I think the answer lies in women's liberation. When all women (including the molesters sisters, mothers etc) wear good clothes, have drinks, can speak those four letter words in public and thrash eve teasers, this will go down a bit. first because those guys will understand that wearing good clothes is not an indicative of low morals, and second, they will know that every woman they try to tease is going to get back at them, rather than run and shout for help (I have had this discussion zillion times with women I know, and 2 minutes later they are back in the phase where they need guys to do every outdoor task for them). And oh yes, make dance bars and prostitues easily available to them, and encourage dating in public so they can vent off their energy elsewhere.

At times i have had incidents where my friends or family friends have ignored my 'Hi' or greetings thinking it could be an eve-teaser. Try to think of somebody you know hiding her face and just walking past ignoring you like a hooligan. It really hurts, and I felt ashamed of whole malekind.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post

Wonder why common, seemingly ordinary folk are so quick to form a mob, whenever something wrong is being done - whether it is burning a bus, lynching a suspected thief or molesting a girl.
I won't be surprised if it was organized.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:12   #67
BHPian

and till now i thought that u would get roughed up by the crowd if u tried harrasing a lady.....
but now its turned theother way around.....
such people should be grabbed by the b**ls and hanged...
gonecase_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:46   #68
BHPian

Let's be sensible and not think of implementing castration and eye-gouging to counter instances of public groping. It's easy to sound off with eye-for-an-eye vindictiveness and such misplaced bravado, but the only way to prevent such incidents — apart from exercising caution in the first place — is to create awareness and provide exemplary punishment. For the former, the media can make a first step referring to such instances as "eve-teasing" (which sounds like coy overtures an adolescent may make to a girl he's too shy to approach) and call a spade a spade. As for the latter, if the culprits can be identified (in this case, from the photos) they should be sentenced irrespective of whether the victims press charges, and be forced to do community service during their term. In addition, the police should be empowered to put up posters of the offenders (with details of their misdemeanours) at major traffic junctions. In the US, I read about a habitual sex offender who was permitted to go out in public only if he carried a large notice with him proclaiming the fact, or something to that effect. Public humiliation can be a powerful deterrent.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Its not just Mumbai or India, this happens everywhere. I faintly recall that maximum rape cases are in America. The country with population less than India! So, crime is everywhere. Its just that media in India has grown tremendously in past few years and everyone is better informed now!
80% of rape and sex crimes in India are not reported, so dont assume that all is well in our 'holy land'
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:00   #70
BHPian

Sorry, I meant to say the media can make a first step by NOT referring to instances of groping and bottom-pinching as "eve-teasing" (which makes it sound like a harmless pastime). No thanks to Bollywood either, for silly films that convey the message that harassing a girl to tears is a great way to make her ultimately develop tender feelings for you.

As for the chappie who said such things may be organised rather than spontaneous, he may well be right. Many years ago I recall seeing a post in a public messageboard (I think it was mumbai-central.com) that invited applications from young men who were interested in safely molesting girls in public. The fundamental premise of the abhorrent plan was that women would be less likely to protest when besieged by a crowd — and of course, there's the "safety in numbers" reassurance. The suggested location for this meetup (feelup?) was Dadar East (Five Gardens, if my memory serves me right). I don't know if it was ever put into practice. I fervently hope not.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

what was done was one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. this is one of the reasons that most of the people, with female companions, stay away from huge public gatherings since there is no way you can predict them.

but let me ask this question - why take a lady into a crowd of guys, who (unless they were the Lord himself) for all you know would be drunk to the brim? What sense does that make??? Those guys surely did not appear to be that good!

If you venture into the lions den and get eaten, whom do you blame?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:24   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
80% of rape and sex crimes in India are not reported, so dont assume that all is well in our 'holy land'
yup. Exactly. Due to the 'stigma' associated with it, most ladies dont report it.

And many times, young girls or boys dont even know what is happening. They are abused by known people in their family (uncles, grandpas, sometimes even the father himself).
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
yup. Exactly. Due to the 'stigma' associated with it, most ladies dont report it.

And many times, young girls or boys dont even know what is happening. They are abused by known people in their family (uncles, grandpas, sometimes even the father himself).
True. I guess 99% of the time, the shame & disrespect the family has to endure is way too much. hence,the victims choose to keep quiet,and drag on.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

This is Really SHOCKING news. And very very scary. Happened JUST outside my society gate. Normally this side of town is very very safe.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

but let me ask this question - why take a lady into a crowd of guys, who (unless they were the Lord himself) for all you know would be drunk to the brim? What sense does that make??? Those guys surely did not appear to be that good!
first, that's taking civil liberties of a person away, rather than penalise the culprits. second, if you read, these people were coming out of the new year event from the hotel (I assume), and juhu in particular is really not known as a lion's den kinda place. Read danlalan's post below.