Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 13:50   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,576
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

I can still recall my childhood days when I was learning to do the pedalling on a raleigh (hope its spelt right) cycle around my highschool football ground. Rs.1000/- for a decent cycle was a good investment (that was a higher monthly salary for many people). I miss those days (pre 1980s) when I could find 100s of cycles parked infront of Banks, Schools, Colleges and many other public places. There was never an issue of parking ! It was a pleasure to see my respected teachers coming on a well-cleaned cycle with their few books and lunch box on the carrier. Maruti 800 replaced majority of those cycles by the time I was in my 10th grade.

Now its a time for advanced cycles aka bikes ! Even if I sleep on a double bed made out of 1000 rupee currency notes, I would still feel a pinch to shell out over 5k for a cycle. But considering the fuel costs, traffic woes and unhealthy life routines, its worth a consideration. I am still hunting for my ride !

Last edited by shajufx : 27th June 2008 at 13:55.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 12:41   #212
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default dealers in bangalore

hey guys iam looking for a cycle (4k max budget) for mild usage in traffic, can you suggest some brands as well as dealers in bangalore.

thanks
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:40   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

May be BSA, Hercules. They have good ones within 4.5K.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 14:05   #214
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
hey guys iam looking for a cycle (4k max budget) for mild usage in traffic, can you suggest some brands as well as dealers in bangalore.

thanks
Hey give Metro Bangalore a check. On the 1st of this Month, at Metro Hyderabad, I chanced upon an "Active" Brand "Hurricane" 26" cycle that I picked up for my Son. It came with an Aluminum Frame, Disk brakes on both wheels, 21 gears - "Shimano" make. While this cycle normally retails @ around 13,500 Rs. with a regular Metro price of Rs.9,999/- IIRC, I got it for Rs. 5,199/- incl. VAT during their warehouse sale which ended on the 2nd July, in Hyderabad. Check if Metro Bangalore has such a thing going on now.

It comes with Dual suspension too.

Last edited by suren181 : 7th July 2008 at 14:11.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 14:10   #215
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
May be BSA, Hercules. They have good ones within 4.5K.
can you give an idea where can i find a dealer south bangalore kormagala hsr etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Hey give Metro Bangalore a check. On the 1st of this Month, at Metro Hyderabad, I chanced upon an "Active" Brand "Hurricane" 26" cycle that I picked up for my Son. It came with an Aluminum Frame, Disk brakes on both wheels, 21 gears - "Shimano" make. While this cycle normally retails @ around 13,500 Rs. with a regular Metro price of Rs.9,999/- IIRC, I got it for Rs. 5,199/- incl. VAT during their weekend sale which ended on the 2nd July. Check if Metro Bangalore has such a thing going on now.

It comes with Dual suspension too.
dont we need to have a memebership for metro?
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 17:20   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 766
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
can you give an idea where can i find a dealer south bangalore kormagala hsr etc..
I actually bought from Commercial Street (narrow parallel road before commercial street is full of cycle shops). I heard that there is one just before the Jayadeva flyover when you are coming from HSR, on the right side. There you can get BSA 18 gears with simple shock absorbers for 4.5K (as I got the info from my friend).
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:23   #217
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I actually bought from Commercial Street (narrow parallel road before commercial street is full of cycle shops). I heard that there is one just before the Jayadeva flyover when you are coming from HSR, on the right side. There you can get BSA 18 gears with simple shock absorbers for 4.5K (as I got the info from my friend).
thanks buddy will check it out, which model did you buy and for how much?
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 20:22   #218
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

went to dispencery road(parallel to commercial) today a colleague wanted to buy a cycle
we bought a hero cycle with 18 gears and shocks at front and rear for 5000rs also got a lock and hand pump,

thanks for the directions
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 23:09   #219
BHPian
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

i have never owned a bicycle in my life but now I'm thinking of buying one.

Can somebody tell me how practical and safe is it to use a bicycle in Bangalore traffic. I've stopped driving 2 wheelers 3 years ago and I'm kinda scared to ride one these days. On weekends i travel about 5 kms to go to my gym and this is when i wanted to use a bicycle.

thanks in advance for any advise
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 00:47   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
zenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
i have never owned a bicycle in my life but now I'm thinking of buying one.

Can somebody tell me how practical and safe is it to use a bicycle in Bangalore traffic. I've stopped driving 2 wheelers 3 years ago and I'm kinda scared to ride one these days. On weekends i travel about 5 kms to go to my gym and this is when i wanted to use a bicycle.

thanks in advance for any advise
BikesZone - Cycling :: Index should help for real life feedback. I personally have been riding 7kms one way to work for about 2 weeks now - and have not found it more or less dangerous than on the motorbike. Its way quicker than a car overall, and perhaps 10-15% slower than on the bike - given the optimizations possible at lights, etc.

My commute includes part of the Sarjapura road ORR stretch, and then Koramangala traffic. I ride a white/black Merida in case someone comes across someone who isn't getting out of your way, one of these days
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 15:35   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

The only issue I find with cycling to office is that it becomes a little unsafe especially with the laptop on your back. A friend had started cycling to office with the laptop in a backpack. One day he got a lil late and 2 guys on a bike hit him from behind. by the time my friend could recover, they had vanished with his laptop ,leaving him with a broken hand and a bloody head.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 17:28   #222
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

After much thought and delibaration, I have booked the Firefox Road Pro 2200. It seems to be a step in the right direction. The investment is significant, but perhaps well worth it.

Details: Firefox Bikes - join the trail! Road Fox

Hope to get delivery in another 10-15 days. The dealer accepted 1k as booking amount. He is throwing in a water bottle, a hand-pump, a lock, basic toolkit, gel seat-cover complimentary with the bike. He promises to service the bike free of cost for its lifetime.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 18:11   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
After much thought and delibaration, I have booked the Firefox Road Pro 2200. It seems to be a step in the right direction. The investment is significant, but perhaps well worth it.

Details: Firefox Bikes - join the trail! Road Fox

Hope to get delivery in another 10-15 days. The dealer accepted 1k as booking amount. He is throwing in a water bottle, a hand-pump, a lock, basic toolkit, gel seat-cover complimentary with the bike. He promises to service the bike free of cost for its lifetime.
Congrats bro. Whats the damage to the pocket?

edit: just saw the price on the site -23k :O whoa thats one biggg investment man.

Last edited by sammyboy : 9th July 2008 at 18:15. Reason: edit
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 20:16   #224
BHPian
 
wanderlustindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Congrats bro. Whats the damage to the pocket?

edit: just saw the price on the site -23k :O whoa thats one biggg investment man.
23700 is the price listed on the website which is excluding octroi and taxes. The bike was tagged with a price of 26500 in the showroom. However, he has agreed to give it away at 25500. Plus some complimentary stuff as I mentioned in my earlier email.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 15:31   #225
BHPian
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
BikesZone - Cycling :: Index should help for real life feedback. I personally have been riding 7kms one way to work for about 2 weeks now - and have not found it more or less dangerous than on the motorbike. Its way quicker than a car overall, and perhaps 10-15% slower than on the bike - given the optimizations possible at lights, etc.

My commute includes part of the Sarjapura road ORR stretch, and then Koramangala traffic. I ride a white/black Merida in case someone comes across someone who isn't getting out of your way, one of these days

@zenx, thanks for the link and the piece of advice that i have now decided to purchase a bike. I would want to start small, I've budgeted about 5-7k and if i really see myself cycling more I'll upgrade after a year or so and buy one of the fancy bikes - Trek seems to be a popular choice but for now it appears Hero Thuder MTB is the bike i should go far.

Does anyone a have a comment or feedback on my choice of bike? Also please let me know the shops that you can recoomend based on your experince. I've few names from the bikezone forum but i wanted to check here aswell.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India the mole Pre-War 77 5th February 2017 09:54
Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles, etc Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 36 28th March 2014 11:28
The Team-Bhp thread of shame (Pray you arent mentioned in this thread ) speedsatya Street Experiences 10 24th February 2012 14:27
BMW Bicycles!! Stratos Shifting gears 16 14th June 2005 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks