Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 22:21   #2311
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,596
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Only for you, phamilyman. This is the only pic I have, and there are two of them in it - the white one belongs to my son, the all-black is mine. Ignore the handlebar setup - they were raised for a long-ish ride the next day:
Woah! That's a beauty! Did you get the frame painted?

What model is it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
NT- disagree on Conti there. Let's define best first.
Well opinions differ. As I said, I was quoting the general opinion out here. Two of the biggest and most popular shops (chains) in Chicago recommended the GatorSkin over anything else for puncture resistance. Anyway, since we are discussing rides, what's yours?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th February 2015 at 22:24.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 23:45   #2312
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,824
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Woah! That's a beauty! Did you get the frame painted?

What model is it?
No, this is the alleged 'Limited Edition Matt Black'. Factory colour, not mine.

Both are CAAD10 - 3 (Ultegra)
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 05:52   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Only for you, phamilyman. This is the only pic I have, and there are two of them in it - the white one belongs to my son, the all-black is mine. Ignore the handlebar setup - they were raised for a long-ish ride the next day:
Gorgeous. I like bikes like that - all bike, no fancy decal

Curious - have you worked out multiple fits? Like a regular ride fit/race fit/long ride fit? I got myself properly fit and havent touched it since! I'm very risk averse and loathe to changing anything before long rides esp.

And if you don't mind - why the CAAD10 vs a Carbon? CAAD10 is for folks like us with limited budgets - surely budget wasnt your driving factor, what was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Well opinions differ. As I said, I was quoting the general opinion out here. Two of the biggest and most popular shops (chains) in Chicago recommended the GatorSkin over anything else for puncture resistance. Anyway, since we are discussing rides, what's yours?
That's what I meant - in the developed countries in most metropolitan areas it would be colossal overkill to get SMPs.

KHS220. Here's when I got it - got no ride pics on me at the moment.
Name:  IMG_20120304_112408.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  106.9 KB
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 17:03   #2314
BHPian
 
akshaymahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 474
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Just got this on my email. Havent tried so dont kill me if it doesnt work.

Flat Rs. 2,500 off on any Bicycle bought through Droom

How to get this deal

Click here to go to droom. http://droom.in/bicycles/
Get Flat Rs 2500 off on any Bicycle
Apply coupon code STAYFIT
Download their mobile App to apply coupon code
Valid only in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar pradesh
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 17:24   #2315
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,824
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious - have you worked out multiple fits? Like a regular ride fit/race fit/long ride fit? I got myself properly fit and havent touched it since! I'm very risk averse and loathe to changing anything before long rides esp.

And if you don't mind - why the CAAD10 vs a Carbon? CAAD10 is for folks like us with limited budgets - surely budget wasnt your driving factor, what was it?
I'm not a competitive biker - I got in because my son was interested and decided to give him company, then I had to buy the same bike just to keep him within sighting distance and now I can't even do that. Got fitting done for my height and pedal sets (am not using cleats), and adjust the bar when required to do longer distances, mostly to save my back. My son rides competitively and he does the same for long rides. If there is a good enough reason for not doing so, I am open to advice.

CAAD10 v/s carbon is a personal preference. It was a decision between an entry level Carbon v/s the best of aluminium, and I preferred the best of one line v/s entry level in another. Its probably not the most logical decision, but it does the job for us.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 18:54   #2316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Another friend has the Cateye wireless and it keeps missing data.
Which model of Cateye that your friend has?

I picked up Cateye Stealth50 in US last June, along with speed+cadence sensor and heart-rate monitor belt. Total cost $200, it works like a charm for me. Heart rate monitor belt is easy to wear and this computer records GPS, has backlight. Built-in memory to record multiple trips, simple app for downloading multiple trips to PC or upload to Strava directly. Didnt face any problems of missing data etc. For the given features list this is VFM buy.
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 20:19   #2317
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,824
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Which model of Cateye that your friend has?
Model was Strada Slim wireless. Several attempts to fix it failed.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 20:21   #2318
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm not a competitive biker - I got in because my son was interested and decided to give him company, then I had to buy the same bike just to keep him within sighting distance and now I can't even do that. Got fitting done for my height and pedal sets (am not using cleats), and adjust the bar when required to do longer distances, mostly to save my back. My son rides competitively and he does the same for long rides. If there is a good enough reason for not doing so, I am open to advice.
Since your son is much younger, you should've bought a better bike to give yourself an advantage :-)

Most regular weekend riders like me normally don't adjust our bikes whether its the usual 35-40k or whether its a century. Thats why i was surprised.

Even the ranndonneurs are setup for a relaxed 200k.

Now that your son's context is clear, it makes sense - you'd have a more aggressive setup on regular short ride days to maximize your efficiency, and a more relaxed one for longer rides. If that works for you - no issues. Most people don't have the kind of experience to set things right once, much less, flip things around regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
CAAD10 v/s carbon is a personal preference. It was a decision between an entry level Carbon v/s the best of aluminium, and I preferred the best of one line v/s entry level in another. Its probably not the most logical decision, but it does the job for us.
That makes a lot of sense.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 20:31   #2319
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,824
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Steeriod, whats the feedback on the Arione saddle? I am planning to get one. Will Antares be better? I am just looking at maximum comfort over long rides.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:28   #2320
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 9
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Finally heeded Fintail's posts juices and booked a Montra 1.2 Blue 2015 should be getting it in a weeks time, meanwhile want to know the availability of slicks and if some one knows the fitting procedure ,i stay in Nasik.
vijaytiwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 23:25   #2321
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,824
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Most people don't have the kind of experience to set things right once, much less, flip things around regularly.
Just use a marker to colour the notch on your bar inside the stem.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 00:22   #2322
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,824
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Steeriod, whats the feedback on the Arione saddle? I am planning to get one. Will Antares be better? I am just looking at maximum comfort over long rides.
No idea - I'm no expert on these things. As far as I am concerned all saddles are a pain in the backside.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 08:25   #2323
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaytiwari View Post
Finally heeded Fintail's posts juices and booked a Montra 1.2 Blue 2015 should be getting it in a weeks time, meanwhile want to know the availability of slicks and if some one knows the fitting procedure ,i stay in Nasik.
http://freerider.in/drupal/General/Cycling-Gyan#FitQn has some links to videos that can help + general gyan.

btw its recommended figure out the fit BEFORE you buy, not after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Just use a marker to colour the notch on your bar inside the stem.
Yes, that is a good idea.
I have used the plumbing thread seal tape to mark my saddle height too.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 12:54   #2324
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaytiwari View Post
Finally heeded Fintail's posts juices and booked a Montra 1.2 Blue 2015 should be getting it in a weeks time, meanwhile want to know the availability of slicks and if some one knows the fitting procedure ,i stay in Nasik.
Ask your local Montra dealer!

Quote:
Slidewell Meilleur Tech Pvt Ltd
Shop No 3 & 4, Space Voyager, Near Nirmaan House,
Patil Lane No - 4, College Road,
Nashik - 422 005
Maharashtra
Tel : 0253 - 6575777
Mobile : 9011020590
Procedure-? It is a D-I-Y. Installed the ones on mine, meself.

Even a roadside guy could do it. A child of three as well. Perfectly simple.

If your's is a Blues- Then, Slicks come by default, saar. Only the Rock series has the hard, knobbly tyres.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th February 2015 at 12:57.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 15:11   #2325
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Ask your local Montra dealer!



Procedure-? It is a D-I-Y. Installed the ones on mine, meself.

Even a roadside guy could do it. A child of three as well. Perfectly simple.

If your's is a Blues- Then, Slicks come by default, saar. Only the Rock series has the hard, knobbly tyres.
oh damn - i misunderstood Vijay. You're right. No extra fitting required.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India the mole Pre-War 77 5th February 2017 09:54
Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles, etc Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 36 28th March 2014 11:28
The Team-Bhp thread of shame (Pray you arent mentioned in this thread ) speedsatya Street Experiences 10 24th February 2012 14:27
BMW Bicycles!! Stratos Shifting gears 16 14th June 2005 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks