Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th April 2015, 17:21   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

We posted at the same time. Just read your quick bike review. Simply awesome. Eagerly waiting for more updates.
Thanks!

My cycle is still with Surrender () though. Some 'customization' to be done. Gears found excellent for now- shall tinker further later on.

I'm keeping the 2012 Montra Rock-I. Can still hit the trails. So I'm both- an MTBer, and a roadie as well!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 18:24   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
[i]It's an excellent road bike, I know.

And, I dived. Off the bike went. This one was fast. We must've touched 75KMPH at that spot. Very fast indeed. Stable- yet nimble. Quick. Flickable.

So, here's Piranello:
Totally drool worthy. Someday I will graduate to more sophisticated bikes, until then I will drool and will ask you for a ride!

Btw,I know the gears and its working, but my cycle doesn't have gears and so far it hasn't impeded me. Yes climbing bridges is a bit tough, but then my usage/pattern includes only plain roads.

Does it make sense to add a gear kit? (The cycle manufacturer is offering a kit)
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 20:07   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Does it make sense to add a gear kit? (The cycle manufacturer is offering a kit)
You said- and I quote (Arnab style! ) :

Quote:
also have a cycle (La - Sovereign Cheetah) that I use quite frequently, but it is very scary to use it on Indian roads. If I use a cycle to commute, I usually have to plan my route with the minimum number of intersections and maximum left turns (to avoid crossing). There by increasing the distance I need to go.
I know MH-43 *quite* well. And La-Soverign as well. So, my advice is the following. @Minkey_Chief on BikesZone had once said something similar.:

Frames are (somewhat) different for geared and single speed bikes. A bike frame for gears will have a place for the rear derailleur to bolt on. It is likely to also have a wider spacing in the rear to accommodate the cassette. If your frame is single speed specific (which is probably is), converting will be a big job and not worth it.

So, well, it depends. What I'd say is- Dump your cycle. You can fiddle about- but is it worth it? It's okay if you blow up 60 or 70 k on a *great* bike (like I do) and focus on little upgrades. The frame in your LA-S isn't that good, it'll presumably be heavy, and general build quality is suspect.

IIRC- After a couple of monsoon seasons, I saw some rusted spots on the frame of my (ex) LA-S. A couple of missing / or broken / improper welds on the frame- and I junked the cycle. The quality level is seriously not that great.

My advice: Get a 20k budget, and buy a nice basic (and AWESOME!) aluminium hybrid. Something like a Montra Blues!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 11th April 2015 at 20:29.
Old 11th April 2015, 21:02   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC- After a couple of monsoon seasons, I saw some rusted spots on the frame of my (ex) LA-S. A couple of missing / or broken / improper welds on the frame- and I junked the cycle. The quality level is seriously not that great.

My advice: Get a 20k budget, and buy a nice basic (and AWESOME!) aluminium hybrid. Something like a Montra Blues!
Thats the plan

Thanks for the advise, I will see how long the LA-S serves me. If issues crop up, mostly I will replace it.

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th April 2015 at 21:23.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 23:32   #2450
BHPian

Driving cars, riding bikes were resulting in no physical exercise and i was a silent reader of this thread. So finally thought of joining the club! As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks. Reasons i avoided going for a geared one are -

Am just a beginner.
During my school days i used to ride a Hercules top gear ezy with 18 gears, that's 12 years back. It was comfortable but most of the time i used to ride in the same gear.
If i can grow some more interest and the urge to upgrade knocks my brain, i will upgrade to a geared one later.

Regarding the cycle- I rode for 10kms today and the initial observation's goes like-

Its easy going. Not much effort needed. I could easily touch 20km/hr. My average riding speed was around 12 kms/hour.
The shock absorbers do work and they feel comfortable.
The riding position is comfortable too.
The stock seats are not comfortable. So i have put one spongy seat cover but that do not help either. Will get the seat changed to a more comfortable one soon.
The cycle looks good, though i would have preferred this jazzy look more 10 years back!
The Bicycles thread-img_4517.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 11th April 2015 at 23:35.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 00:56   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Driving cars, riding bikes were resulting in no physical exercise and i was a silent reader of this thread. So finally thought of joining the club! As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks. Reasons i avoided going for a geared one are -

Still- Let this be a starting stone!
Move on to more serious things- Quickly!

Take off those cheap seat covers. And do NOT install any padded gel seats or anything.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Quote:
We posted at the same time. Just read your quick bike review. Simply awesome. Eagerly waiting for more updates.
BTW, Nice name: Piranello
You shall find this extremely hilarious :

http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=4&t=17082

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 01:25.
Old 12th April 2015, 01:30   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Still- Let this be a starting stone!
Move on to more serious things- Quickly!

Take off those cheap seat covers. And do NOT install any padded gel seats or anything
Mods- pardon the B2B posts- The time limit had expired, so I continue my quoted post:

Samba, kindly refer to this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3497422 (Trails of a biker : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!)

Thanks! You DO NEED a better cycle. I shall refrain from calling it a waste of a cycle etc- hehe. We all needed to start *somewhere*, no?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 01:38.
Old 12th April 2015, 10:01   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Piranello looks something (very much actually) like this. Mines a 2014 though- some differences evident.:

I'm using the existing saddles for now- If I need better ones, I'll try to get San Marco ones.

For my review- refer to the first post of this very page. (Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3683390 (The Bicycles thread))

It's gonna be here come Tuesday. Oh....The wait is toooo much......

Got a set of aluminium pedals- (BTwin or something, I think), and replaced the clip-on pedals. I'm keeping the clip-on pedals, you never know when they might be useful.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th April 2015 at 10:05.
Old 12th April 2015, 12:29   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Mods- pardon the B2B posts- The time limit had expired, so I continue my quoted post:

Samba, kindly refer to this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3497422 (Trails of a biker : Re-discovering travel the healthy way!)

Thanks! You DO NEED a better cycle. I shall refrain from calling it a waste of a cycle etc- hehe. We all needed to start *somewhere*, no?
Thanks for the guidance. Its just the beginning. Will surely upgrade in due time and get ready to get bugged from me with multiple novice queries.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 17:27   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
As a beginner i wanted a basic comfortable bicycle. Did some research and zeroed on the Hercules Sparta. Picked the cycle yesterday for 5,700 bucks.

Regarding the cycle- I rode for 10kms today and the initial observation's goes like-

Its easy going. Not much effort needed. I could easily touch 20km/hr. My average riding speed was around 12 kms/hour.
The shock absorbers do work and they feel comfortable.
The riding position is comfortable too.
The stock seats are not comfortable. So i have put one spongy seat cover but that do not help either. Will get the seat changed to a more comfortable one soon.
The cycle looks good, though i would have preferred this jazzy look more 10 years back!
Attachment 1359746
Good start. Let me be a bit honest - that brute of a bike weighs a lot - I would have gone for a Mybike which is also gearless and a lot lighter. Having said that, it's a start and that all matters. One can always upgrade anytime, no

- Increase the height of the seat - it looks low; can easily go up 4-6 inches or more. It'll make a huge difference in riding, for sure!
- As @fintail correctly mentioned, lose the seat cover.
- Can the stand be removed i.e. screws removed etc. Unless you carry some stuff at the back, that's just extra weight - easily 1/2 to a kilo for sure.
- Have fun - that's all matters
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 12:37   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I did not get the drift.
But that said no discount on this one. This and a black one were the only ones available @550 AUD. Mudguards, Rack and Panniers are extra.

At this moment I really do not see myself on a roadbike. I do not like that crouching posture. I cycle wearing a cheap loose t shirt and a bermuda (though I do use inserts). Spandex/Lycra/(Whatever skin tight) shorts and me don't mix.
Please let me know how much you have paid for Jamis and from where you have purchased it. Thanks in advance.
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 15:06   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Took the bike yesterday to Surender cycles Baner, Pune.
Quote:
I pay the same amount at Surinder (or as I like call the place- *Surrender Cycles* !)
Congratulations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Oh, servicing costs have gone to the moon in Pune thanks to the global brand based outlets
Thank you for your tips on ride to Bombay

My experience with Surender cycles Baner was pathetic. While booking an appointment, they told me that bike will be ready in 1.5 hrs thus I rode to their store, upon reaching they told that they can not deliver before evening. I had no other option to go home (it was just afternoon). My cycle had two problems. One, noise from left pedal and top gear was not engaging smoothly. I asked them to add bottle holder as well.
Cycle was ready by 6:30 PM, during test ride gear change was still not smooth though pedal noise was eliminated. Their mech told me that in few kms gear change will smoothen. I rode from their shop to Dehu road and in few kms, pedal noise was back and top gear was engaging with too much of effort and multiple attempts. After 200 hundred kms, top gear is stopped engaging 
In a meanwhile, I attempted my first long distance cycling Poona -> Lonavala -> Khopoli -> Panvel -> Kalambodi on Saturday night and it was a good experience.
Need suggestion on:
1) A mechanic who can remove top gear problem and pedal noise
2) How to overcome pain in bums. I wear padded btwin shorts along with standard seat (Montra blue), after 80 kms, bums were soared. Any suggestion please.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 18:41   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Quote:
Congratulations !
Thanks- Shubhendra!

For the first point of yours- refer to my post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3655593 (The Bicycles thread)

He charges a lot. Be careful of that. But his work is excellent. I can vouch for that.

Shall speak to the owner of Surrender () cycles about your experience , tommorrow. Have bought 3 (or is it 4?) cycles from him.

I'm told- best to avoid the Baner centre. Karve Road one rules.

It's a matter of hours for the new bike to come in....One feels restless in such situations, no?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 13th April 2015 at 18:44.
Old 13th April 2015, 19:36   #2459
BHPian

^^^Fintail, you are hilarious. We are eagerly awaiting too. How about a good photo session

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2015 at 10:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
fastraj is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2015, 20:18   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Its been 3+ years with Giant Revel, since i live on the coast/hilly region i have got to ride/test this bike on some very tough terrain. overall very happy with this bike.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-wp_20150412_08_15_43_pro.jpg  

Attached Images

lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote