Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th April 2015, 03:49   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations !

Thank you for your tips on ride to Bombay

In a meanwhile, I attempted my first long distance cycling Poona -> Lonavala -> Khopoli -> Panvel -> Kalambodi on Saturday night and it was a good experience.
Glad to be of help! Didn't know you did it in night - that's even more awesome. I found that more fun than the day trip on the same route

Quote:
2) How to overcome pain in bums. I wear padded btwin shorts along with standard seat (Montra blue), after 80 kms, bums were soared. Any suggestion please.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Ah - well while others provide feedback (hopefully better than mine), what I have generally found useful is to take intermediate breaks and just lay down on any bench/wall/any base or even just on the grass or ground on the side - of course without being at harm from incoming traffic and at sufficient distance from the roads.

Time and time I have done that in every long rides - I have used public bus stops, restaurant tables (if they allow), or just the grass on the roadside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Shall speak to the owner of Surrender () cycles about your experience , tommorrow. Have bought 3 (or is it 4?) cycles from him.
[/i]
The sardarji? ATB! Not the most "jovial" fellow around to take criticism as much as I remember him
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 18:38   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
I'm told by the owner, that :

Quote:
In case of any grievances, kindly call up, and talk. I shall ensure that the issue is solved- in the best possible manner.
Well-Something to that effect anyway. So- If you so wish, kindly talk to him. He's a genuine person.

Besides, the roadie is here. 6 kilometers up!!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 19:07   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Well-Something to that effect anyway. So- If you so wish, kindly talk to him. He's a genuine person.

Besides, the roadie is here. 6 kilometers up!!
Thank you for help. will take my bike there this weekend.
arrey wah, Congratulations !

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 22:42   #2464
Senior - BHPian

I know that most roadbikers do not install a side stand in the interests of weight saving. I know.

But from the outset; I had made one thing very clear. I never was going to use this solely for roadracing. Never.

My objective was one thing : I wanted a bike with an excellent frame- and decent enough gears. The 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast 2300 met my requirements fully; and a lot more.

It has to play multiple roles- rolling along fast; to be an excellent commuter (THE ONLY reason for those side stands); to do a LOT of long distance touring.

Panniers, and other things will be added later. Gear upgrades are a must. So far all I can comment is that the gears are nothing special. Good, decent. All right. But not special.

Shifting is quick enough- but isn't great. The only bane - IMO. This will need running in.

That said- The comfort is excellent. Geometry- relaxed. As someone said to me once- (@Minkey_Chief?) : These Bianchi Coast2Coast's are excellent long distance tourers. I've installed the CatEye Velo7's already. Those meters, are cheap, and excellent. Do the job nicely.

The bike, at the moment is umm....6.5 kilometers old. Quite young-don't you think? It's still the early days. I look to keep this one for quite a while.

Upto the 'Twenties. The 2020's will be an amazing decade- I eagerly await it.

Here's the first proper shot of {Piranello a.k.a Pi3.14 (I'll give a reason for the name )}.

So- Say a good 'hi!' to her, could you?

Take a bow- Piranello!
:

The Bicycles thread-photo0047.jpg

The tyres are Hutchinson Nitro's . 700x23. Running them @ 100 PSI.

Quote:
In road bikes, 700x23 and 700x25 tires are for racing
(Link : http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...=700x23#p29328)

So there you go. Race spec tires. Whitewalled.

The bike is quick. No doubts about that. Handling is excellent. Shifting could be a lot better- as said before. The saddles could be a lot better- but I guess even they will need running in. Let's see how they fare after 1000 km.

For now- Located a pair of San Marco saddles. (Bianchi OEM?). They are ironically, in Celeste which is Bianchi's trademark colour which is the same colour my bike is in. Love it!

Brakes work all right. The pedals were replaced- The clips were not really required for me. Thus, the original pedals were duly replaced. And to be replaced soon. Again. Need better ones. Again. Dammit.

And, before I forget- Ride quality is *excellent*.

Carbon Fibre is *really* something, what? The ride is not at all what I expected- even with the extremely thin (700x23) tires. I think the Bianchi rides better than my 2012 Montra Rock- I. Heck- This one is not even 10km old. Will need to ride a *lot* more to arrive at a detailed conclusion.

As regards to the price : MRP was 60k. Or 58k to be precise. The bill for accessories is umm....4k I think. Or was it greater? Need to buy a better helmet. Another new set of tires- brakes and assorted consumables. And a *proper* tool kit. Got a new set of allen keys. Really recommended!

*Proper* riding begins from tomorrow. Will pile on the miles. A lot. A trip to Bombay might be on the cards in May.

Expect this bicycle to intimately know the bilanes of Poona, Bombay, and of course, Bangalore. Lot's of touring would take place. God knows- You cannot really predict the future, can you?

Signing off!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th April 2015 at 23:11.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:36   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
I know that most roadbikers do not install a side stand in the interests of weight saving. I know.
Signing off!
Nice review.
Pi 3.14 looks good. Name changed?

IMHO please get rid of the golden bottle holder Looks out of place..

Wish you many happy miles and rides with Pi 3.14.
And please join strava asap
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 13:32   #2466
BHPian

Does it have something to do with pi day? -March 14? Or the raspberry pi?
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 16:56   #2467
Senior - BHPian

The bottle holder is off. It was bolted on by some mech at Surinder Cycles.

Took it off meself. Today.
Old 15th April 2015, 17:43   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My objective was one thing : I wanted a bike with an excellent frame- and decent enough gears. The 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast 2300 met my requirements fully; and a lot more.
Sweet ride!

Thankfully you got that ghastly bottle holder removed! And finally a bike with an appropriate seat height put up! lol

Btw if you plan to do a lot of riding, get a cover for the crankset - or you are going to have some torn pants for sure! You get simple light plastic/fibre ones too.

And what's with the Nitro tires? Weren't you planning to go for Gatorskins? They come in "racing" 23c and 25c too! To be honest never heard of these ones.

P.s. Are you on Strava? Do pm me your profile id
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 18:39   #2469
BHPian

Congrats on the Bianchi via Nirone and welcome to the club, @FINTAIL. That's one classic colour. I wish you a long and happy time with the bike.

Let me introduce my bike:

The Bicycles thread-img_0270.jpg

These were its specs.

Quite a few things got changed over time:
  • Saddle: the stock San Marco was just bad. It was convex at the top and it was problematic for me. The Specialized ToupeRBX that fit my sit-bones took its place and these have a longitudinal slit in the centre.
  • Handlebar-stem: was changed to be shorter (Giant MTB stem).
  • Front wheel: cracked the stock rim when it was given to truing after it got bent in an accident last year. Replaced with the only thing I could find in B'lore - a Triban Forme from Decathlon.
  • Tyres: stock Hutchinsons grew bald and I wanted some more comfort and maybe speed. Replaced them with Specialized Armadillos 700x25.
  • Fork: didn't want to risk it after the same crash last year where the wheel bent. Got this through a friend from outside the country. It's fully carbon.

Thats about it. You'll see the Shimano 105 pedals there which I used with Shimano shoes for some time, but I don't use those road shoes anymore and ride it as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Btw if you plan to do a lot of riding, get a cover for the crankset - or you are going to have some torn pants for sure! You get simple light plastic/fibre ones too.
P.s. Are you on Strava? Do pm me your profile id
These also help avoid trousers from getting damaged. Also has a reflective tape on them.

Last edited by nareshov : 15th April 2015 at 18:49. Reason: merging
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 21:25   #2470
BHPian

Congrats Fintail on the lovely bike. Hope she munches thousands of mile with you on top Can we create a Strava TeamBhp Club and maybe have a ride once in a while ?
OHCVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:52   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Can we create a Strava TeamBhp Club and maybe have a ride once in a while ?
Good idea. I'm for it.
Just searched Strava, someone has already created club with Team-BHP name. And it's a private club

The Bicycles thread-strava.png
Old 16th April 2015, 17:16   #2472
BHPian

Hey I have created that.. You guys can pm me your id's I will add. Else I can make the group open. Can I use the TeamBHP logo there. Suggestions please.
OHCVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 19:49   #2473
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I have created that..

I think we can use the logo. Mods?
I have pm you my handle. Keeping the club restricted is okay for now.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:43   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Does it have something to do with pi day? -March 14? Or the raspberry pi?
Something *quite* similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sweet ride!

Thankfully you got that ghastly bottle holder removed! And finally a bike with an appropriate seat height put up! lol

And what's with the Nitro tires? Weren't you planning to go for Gatorskins? They come in "racing" 23c and 25c too! To be honest never heard of these ones.
Yeah @NP - Here's my observations :

The bottle holder is gone. Out. I might repaint it to black.

My bike has an appropriate seat height!

Indeed a long time after we're seeing a bike with a perfect fit. On this thread, most bicycles whose pics are submitted, are generally fit disasters.

The ruddy saddle is always- tooo low!

That said; I'm used to torn pants. My 2012 Montra Rock - It has destroyed umm......I lost count of how many pants it has destroyed. Really.

Need 25c tires. 23c are fine, but I got stuck (almost) in those Pune roads because of them.

How?

Most of the arterial roads here are concreted here, right? Essentially concrete blocks placed on a surface, right?

Now, my tires got stuck into a particularly large gap between two concrete blocks. When I was rolling along, at 40KMPH. Ouch.

How did I come out? Honestly, I was lucky that I didn't fall down. My high velocity saved me- I came out. But- Somehow. Need to be a lot more careful and ensure that my tires are placed on a proper part of the road surface.

That said- The stock Hutchinson's are good enough. They look extremely good- hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Congrats on the Bianchi via Nirone and welcome to the club, @FINTAIL. That's one classic colour. I wish you a long and happy time with the bike.
Whoa! Thanks for the wishes- And never knew that you were a cyclist too- Forget owning a similar cycle like mine.

Guess we find common ground. FIAT's and Bianchi's. Both Italians. Hehe.

Quote:
[*]Saddle: the stock San Marco was just bad. It was convex at the top and it was problematic for me. The Specialized ToupeRBX that fit my sit-bones took its place and these have a longitudinal slit in the centre.[*]Handlebar-stem: was changed to be shorter (Giant MTB stem).[*]Front wheel: cracked the stock rim when it was given to truing after it got bent in an accident last year. Replaced with the only thing I could find in B'lore - a Triban Forme from Decathlon.[*]Tyres: stock Hutchinsons grew bald and I wanted some more comfort and maybe speed. Replaced them with Specialized Armadillos 700x25.
Okay- I'm gonna upgrade to San Marco's (in Celeste. Located one specimen) soon. Bianchi OEM. Currently am running Spectras.

These can be a lot better- Let's see how these fare.

Could you please describe the accident? In detail?
Thanks!
Quote:
Thats about it. You'll see the Shimano 105 pedals there which I used with Shimano shoes for some time, but I don't use those road shoes anymore and ride it as-is.
Okay- Noted these pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Good idea. I'm for it.
Just searched Strava, someone has already created club with Team-BHP name. And it's a private club
Quote:
Hey I have created that.. You guys can pm me your id's I will add. Else I can make the group open. Can I use the TeamBHP logo there. Suggestions please.
Keep the group closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

I think we can use the logo. Mods?
I have pm you my handle. Keeping the club restricted is okay for now.
The previous messages were absolute gems.

Thanks- @OHCVtec.

For now- Have requested the mods to look at; and consider your post. Whether we can use the T-BHP Logo, or not.

@All : Today I rode a sum total of 35 kilometers. So, the bike is effectively 67 KM old.

My FD isn't shifting. So, I shall will repair it myself this Sunday. My bike was delivered with non working brakes.

So- Yesterday, was awake till 12.30AM, trying to figure out the intricacies of a calliper brake system. Suffice to say, having a set of allen keys really helped.

Tuned it. Loosened it. Damn, it's too damn loose!

Tightened it. But, it's too damn tight now! It's hardly working.

Another half-an-hour's worth of fiddling. Tighten this nut, and loosen that. Adjust the cable. Again.

Is the cable tension all right?
Yeah- It seems so.

Loosen that nut just a wee bit. Yeah- Looks a lot better.

A couple of coffees down. Another ten minutes of fiddling. Take the rear end of the rear brake cable out.

Re-assemble. Again. And do it *properly*. Oh wait- I'll loosen that bolt by a wee bit.

Just a wee bit.

Tada! It's done! PURRFECTLY working. Just the *right* way I wanted. The time was 12.14 AM.

I was profusely sweating.

Don't you *love* it when an experiment is successful?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 16th April 2015 at 22:06.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:23   #2475
BHPian

Quote:

Most of the arterial roads here are concreted here, right? Essentially concrete blocks placed on a surface, right?

Now, my tires got stuck into a particularly large gap between two concrete blocks. When I was rolling along, at 40KMPH. Ouch.

How did I come out? Honestly, I was lucky that I didn't fall down. My high velocity saved me- I came out. But- Somehow. Need to be a lot more careful and ensure that my tires are placed on a proper part of the road surface.
Ouch, indeed. Another problem is that the concrete roads don't extend all the way to the edge of the near side of the road. That portion is tar. Over time, the tar and concrete kind of become like 2 levels. I was almost about to fall once. Now I avoid them like the plague.

Oh, and I recently got this made. Made from wood after giving the dimensions to a neighbourhood carpenter.

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123338594.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123317261.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20150413_123327692.jpg
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote