Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th May 2015, 02:31   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
I'm trying to see if I can fix these issues myself instead of taking the bike to Decathlon. I'm 'trying' to gain more knowledge about my bike, and want to be able to do basic fixes in the future.

Apologies if similar queries were posted before and if I sound a little too ignorant.
I thank you all in advance for your help.

Some problems we noticed were:
1. Gear changes seldom occur smoothly. The chain makes loud clattering noises.

2. The gears sometimes don't shift at all. For instance, when I'm on 7th at the rear and 2nd on the front, and I attempt a down shift to 6th, all I get is noise. I downshift further to 5th and then the chain actually moves to 6th. Then, when I attempt an upshift to seventh, the chain sits stubbornly on 6th.
The front gears are better. It takes some effort, but I can easily shift between 1st and 3rd.

Rockriders are known to have gear issues. I had one with mine - right from the day of purchase, the bike would never go to the last (rear) gear setting. I had put up a query on that issue last year, and got similar feedback out here.

3. The brakes make squeaky noises. I don't know which part to lubricate.
I'd warrant a guess that one side of the pads are hitting the tire rim. Try rotating the wheel(s) freely and see if the rubbing occurs. Either the fitting of the tire needs to be done or truing the spokes would be the solution. For a new bike, I'd say the former might be the issue.

4. The pedal sometimes hits the chain when I'm pedalling

This is weird and serious. Again never faced this issue or heard about it - did your pedal come bent by any chance? Can you put up a picture?

As for trying it on your own, you are good to depend on youtube videos; however considering your bike would be still in warranty and Decathalon offers cheap(er) services on their bikes, I'd say get it back to them and watch they do with the servicing. Back in Decathalon Pune, they would allow me to watch the servicing work. You could learn from them in that manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Went for a camping trip last weekend, total of 161 Kms. But it was tough because I had to carry a ~12 Kilogram bag. While coming back, I carried two bags for 30 odd kms because the girl who was carrying got tired.

My average speed was only 19, we did take a lot of breaks. And the weather was awesome.
Sweet! That looks to be a lovely ride! Btw are you on Strava - would be interested to keep track of the rides etc
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 06:32   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sweet! That looks to be a lovely ride! Btw are you on Strava - would be interested to keep track of the rides etc
Thanks, mate.

I am on Strava but I don't use the app much, since it will drain my battery quite fast. I could upload my data from Sigma ROX but haven't bought the docking station yet.

Last edited by ecenandu : 7th May 2015 at 06:34.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 20:48   #2493
BHPian

Thank you so much for your response sir!

Quote:
Rockriders are known to have gear issues. I had one with mine - right from the day of purchase, the bike would never go to the last (rear) gear setting. I had put up a query on that issue last year, and got similar feedback out here.
Is that so? Using five friends' Rockriders as benchmarks, my gearshift seems to be the worst of the lot. In fact, some of the bikes seem to shift quite seamlessly. Perhaps I've been given the lemon of lemons?
Ultimately, were they able to solve the problem for you?

Quote:
I'd warrant a guess that one side of the pads are hitting the tire rim. Try rotating the wheel(s) freely and see if the rubbing occurs. Either the fitting of the tire needs to be done or truing the spokes would be the solution. For a new bike, I'd say the former might be the issue.
I will check this. Just to clarify, the tire rim refers to the side wall?

Quote:
This is weird and serious. Again never faced this issue or heard about it - did your pedal come bent by any chance? Can you put up a picture?
Luckily, that wasn't the problem. Just found out on close inspection. The pedals hit the poorly installed centre stand. I re installed it properly, the problem is solved. Sorry for being scaring you there
Turbo_asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 23:43   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Thank you so much for your response sir!

Is that so? Using five friends' Rockriders as benchmarks, my gearshift seems to be the worst of the lot. In fact, some of the bikes seem to shift quite seamlessly. Perhaps I've been given the lemon of lemons?
Ultimately, were they able to solve the problem for you?
Not really. I never really felt that much of an issue as I was mostly using the middle gears. I guess post servicing of the bike, the problem was rectified.

Quote:
I will check this. Just to clarify, the tire rim refers to the side wall?
Nopes - the inner metal rim where the brake pads actually make the contact when you hit the brakes.

Actually these are minor issues - the folks at Decathalon would probably do it for free. Or just google it up on youtube - you'll find so many videos to solve rubbing issues.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:55   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I never really felt that much of an issue as I was mostly using the middle gears. I guess post servicing of the bike, the problem was rectified.

Nopes - the inner metal rim where the brake pads actually make the contact when you hit the brakes.

Actually these are minor issues - the folks at Decathalon would probably do it for free. Or just google it up on youtube - you'll find so many videos to solve rubbing issues.
You can try referring to some online videos for adjusting it yourself. Even mine was totally crap. In my 3rd go, I completely fixed them. Just keep trying, Front adjustment is easy and you can get away with not so precise adjustments, rear requires good precision.

I am using a RR 5.0. I have had gear issues and brakes touching the rim issue. It took a lotta adjustments but now it works well. Just try searching for some vids. You will defnlty fix it.

Also, if some one can comment on using engine oil for chain lubrication? I had some 20W50 lying around, used it and its working well for me.
sudeep11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 15:34   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
I am using a RR 5.0. I have had gear issues and brakes touching the rim issue. It took a lotta adjustments but now it works well. Just try searching for some vids. You will defnlty fix it.
Fixed the brakes yesterday! No squeaking, no groaning. Tightened the brake cables as well since they were somewhat loose.
I am still trying to crack the gear issues. Can you recommend any videos that helped you fix your gears?

Can anyone tell me a good lubricant and degreaser for MTB's?
Turbo_asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 19:48   #2497
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to know if there is any bicycle rental shop in Pondicherry. I searched the web, but was not able to find any suitable sites. All I get is either motorcycles or scooters on rent. I am travelling to Pondi on the 23rd of this month and wanted to do some local sightseeing and what better way than on a bicycle. Any help on this is much appreciated.
Snehal Sekhar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 10:29   #2498
BHPian

@Snehal_Sekhar: you'll find them once you hit the streets (such as Mission street.)
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 16:08   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to know if there is any bicycle rental shop in Pondicherry.
Aurovelo is a nice store I have heard of in Pondi. Try them:

AUROVELO EVFUTURE
Reve Auroville 605101,
Auroville, Pondicherry.
Contact No.: : 0413 2622380 /
+91 9443658128
Email : sukrit@auroville.org.in
Facebook page : www.facebook.com/aurovelo
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 17:48   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@Snehal_Sekhar: you'll find them once you hit the streets (such as Mission street.)
Thanks nareshov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Aurovelo is a nice store I have heard of in Pondi.
Thanks mail4ajo. I did contact Aurovelo today and the gentleman I spoke to said that they don't rent out bicycles. They asked me to go to Auroville instead and speak to someone at the visitor registration counter for bicycles and they should help me out with getting one. Anyway, the search still continues!
Snehal Sekhar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 19:28   #2501
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you folks know that Strava has a privacy mode? You can obfuscate your home area by just turning on the option in the website. It even figures out your potential address basis the start/stop areas.

Very neat.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 11:35   #2502
BHPian

Hello team,

I am 23, 5'8" and well above a 100 kilograms.
Looking at buying a bicycle primarily to increase my daily dose of physical activity, also running twice a day is really boring. So I plan to ride a bicycle in the mornings and go running/walking in the evening.

Now having visited a few bicycle dealers I am aware of the current pricing.
My budget initially was 20k but I can stretch upto 30k for now, anything more will be tight.

One bicycle that caught my eye was a Bergamont Helix 2.0 for 26k. Any reviews on Bergamont?!?!

I was looking at Hybrids but also wanted to know if switching to Hybrid tyres on an MTB would do the trick?!?!
Also going by simple logic I have a feeling that an MTB would be able to take my weight better that a Hybrid.

Also I am open to all brands, so please suggest a suitable bicycle for me, with in 30k!!

PS: I know they are not too much of an advantage but disc brakes are nice to have!

Last edited by 599gto : 14th May 2015 at 11:41.
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:03   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post

One bicycle that caught my eye was a Bergamont Helix 2.0 for 26k. Any reviews on Bergamont?!?!

I was looking at Hybrids but also wanted to know if switching to Hybrid tyres on an MTB would do the trick?!?!
Also going by simple logic I have a feeling that an MTB would be able to take my weight better that a Hybrid.
PS: I know they are not too much of an advantage but disc brakes are nice to have!
Of course Hybrid slicks do the trick!

That's how some of us survive daily commuting on a bicycle!

Fixed Geax StreetRunner's on my 2012 Montra Rock 1 MTB in March '14; 3500km on......NO REGRETS.

For your kind of riding (which is purely on roads); I recommend the Montra Blues @ ~18k.

Go to Surinder Cycles; Karve Road or Baner- for a quote.

Check out the GT Agressor- Although; with time I've come to realise buying an MTB for city or road oriented use is useless. Even with slicks.

Better buy a proper hybrid. Kindly refer to ~30-60 previous pages of this thread for more inputs.

Last but not the least; if further assistance w.r.t cycling in Poona is required - PM me.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:45   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has a Bergamont and he is very happy. In fact he has been trying to get me into cycling (by making my home the mid rid pit stop at night).

I am not really serious but based on my previous experience I would stay away from MTBs or even Hybrids (I see them essentially as fixed tail MTBs with thin tyres) and be looking at pure road bikes (drop handles, though the bull horns look pretty comfortable as well).

So my question is why do you think a Hybrid cannot take your weight? I ask with a degree of concern because I myself am a pretty healthy 90 kilos, though I'm 4 inches taller than you.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 18:01   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Did you folks know that Strava has a privacy mode? You can obfuscate your home area by just turning on the option in the website. It even figures out your potential address basis the start/stop areas.

Very neat.
Yup already using it.

But the reason for that option is to do with cities like London and NY where bike theft is a serious problem and the thieves are getting innovative to figure out places to steal.

Quote:

Yup slicks work well on MTB; however I don't see any reason why a hybrid wouldn't do the job.

The frames of both MTB and Hybrids are strong enough to take the weight. Instead you should try them all and decide which bike works for you - don't go pre-decided.