Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th May 2015, 01:42   #2506
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

For your kind of riding (which is purely on roads); I recommend the Montra Blues @ ~18k.

Go to Surinder Cycles; Karve Road...
Thanks for the suggestion FINTAIL, I will definitely go to Surinder cycles, have only heard good things about them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So my question is why do you think a Hybrid cannot take your weight? I ask with a degree of concern because I myself am a pretty healthy 90 kilos, though I'm 4 inches taller than you.
Come on Doc, you've seen me, the only reason for my apprehension is my weight, however, I think I have made up my mind to get a Hybrid.

You shouldn't even think of getting into bicycling, because there is no known method to test what a bicycle tops out at, will be difficult to decide right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The frames of both MTB and Hybrids are strong enough to take the weight. Instead you should try them all and decide which bike works for you - don't go pre-decided.
Thanks ninjatalli, have read up about bicycles, and have almost made up my mind to get a Hybrid, but will definitely check out the MTBs, for they look badass!
Any particular Hybrid you would suggest in the budget of around 30k?!?!

, yours is the most outrageous handle i've come across on the forum, after superbhikari. Good one! Hahahhaa
599gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 04:43   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Thanks ninjatalli, have read up about bicycles, and have almost made up my mind to get a Hybrid, but will definitely check out the MTBs, for they look badass!
Any particular Hybrid you would suggest in the budget of around 30k?!?!
Bikes are like the concept of wands in Harry Potter - the bike chooses you and not the other way

Jokes apart, I would not go by the price limit but keep a 50% upward movement. And then try out the options in that extended range. Test ride all of them, and then decide if the costlier option(s) are better to risk the additional moolah.

No idea about the price point, but Trek 7.2 FX and Cannondale Quick 5/6 are pretty awesome hybrids. I owned the latter one, at a time when my weight was ~95. Giant Cypress and Sedona are also decent commuter bikes for city roads - but haven't ridden them.

Also look at Fuji bikes if you want to play the VFM angle - they have pretty decent (and cheaper) options.

Quote:
, yours is the most outrageous handle i've come across on the forum, after superbhikari. Good one! Hahahhaa
lol - don't read too much into it!

Edit: Having owned a hybrid and MTB, I'd recommend the former. You get cheaper MTBs in the market, but they have a purpose. And that's not city riding.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th May 2015 at 04:50.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 11:04   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Actually I have rethought the decision of getting a new bike as I am very uncertain about whether I will stick to this cycling fad or after a month the cycle will be gather dust and rust and/or be up for sale.

So the way I look at it the better option will be to get my old 18 speed Hercules Top Gear refurbished and try my hand at it and if the bug bites, then get a new better bike.

First things would be a better saddle and hybrid slicks.

Wondering whether all the cables would need replacing as well.

Maybe the pedals as well (on of them does not rotate freely).

Lastly, the rims are pretty rusty now, so should I replace to the stock rims or go in for alloys. How much would cheap alloy rims cost?

Experts (phamilyman, fintail) please give me suggestions on the saddle, tyres, cables, pedals and rims options.

The other option would be to buy a BSA Mach or Hero Hawk and put on gears and make a cheap road bike out of it. But I've been asking around and a half decent gear set costs around 5K, so with the 5K for the basic bike, the total would be around 10K, and in 10K (or a bit more) there are proper ready-made road bike options which I have shortlisted as the proper road bike (when and if I feel its something I can get into and continue, not just as a 1 month fad).

The low cost road bike options are:

1) Suncross Racer Star (MS) - Alloy frame (55) and fork, 14 speed - costs 14.5K

2) Raleigh Clubman (sold by Suncross only) - Steel frame (53?) and fork, 14 speed - costs 13.5-14K

3) Fomas Road King Deluxe - Steel frame (53?, some claim newer ones are alloy frame) and fork, 14 speed - costs about 12K (but with discounts you could pick one up at under 10K as well)

4) Schnell Speed Rom - Steel frame and fork, 18 speed - around 12K (not heard good things about this one compared to the above three)
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 14:12   #2509
BHPian

Why not get a bTwin rockrider 5.0 from decathlon?
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 14:31   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I have rethought the decision of getting a new bike as I am very uncertain about whether I will stick to this cycling fad or after a month the cycle will be gather dust and rust and/or be up for sale.

Lastly, the rims are pretty rusty now, so should I replace to the stock rims or go in for alloys. How much would cheap alloy rims cost?

Experts (phamilyman, fintail) please give me suggestions on the saddle, tyres, cables, pedals and rims options.

The other option would be to buy a BSA Mach or Hero Hawk and put on gears and make a cheap road bike out of it. But I've been asking around and a half decent gear set costs around 5K, so with the 5K for the basic bike, the total would be around 10K, and in 10K (or a bit more) there are proper ready-made road bike options which I have shortlisted as the proper road bike (when and if I feel its something I can get into and continue, not just as a 1 month fad).

The low cost road bike options are:

NEVER BUY A CHEAP ROAD BIKE.

Cheap MTB's are manageable- but a cheap roadie? Never. There's more than enough horror stories floating around as it is. Brakes pop off. The gears never work right.

And; I tend to look at the welds on the bicycle frame. The *quality* of the welds truly defines the *quality* of the frame itself.

These cheaper bikes generally have useless welds. God forbid; if one of those welds come apart at ~60KMPH.

After all; if it is *extremely* cheap- it must be so for a reason, no?

They HAVE cut costs; and have compromised on quality. Somewhere. It may be useless components; it even may be a compromise on the frame welds...

Tell you what; try and restore your older cycle. Cables; Pedals etc. Rims - ask the bloke at Surinder. 700c (which might not fit); or even MTB rims (26 inch); shod with Geax StreetRunner's will do.

Surinder had a large stock of 'em StreetRunner's- Last I checked.

The second option; Vistaspji; is-

Speak to Surinder. About your requirements. Tell him- That you want a road bike ONLY. But you're unsure about it.

Surinder can loan you a cycle- I've seen him do so for others. So; request him. Lend a roadie for a month or thereabouts.

And then; if you like it; well.....Buy it!

He is a genuine person. 'Explains why I buy ONLY from him.

EDIT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Thanks for the suggestion FINTAIL, I will definitely go to Surinder cycles, have only heard good things
He might appear to be a bit strict. He's shouted on me umpteen times....When I had screwed up my Montra's gearshift; I still remember him. Strict. That lecture.....How to take genuine care of your cycle.....Goodness!

But; the scolding that day won him a repeat customer. He was the most genuine person around.

And he made me appreciate cycling. And ensured that it became a hobby for me. And ensured that he got a repeat customer...

After all; their family has been selling cycles in Poona for generations.

Here's my complete list of cycles bought from him :

2004 : 2003 BSA. Scrapped.

2009 : La Soverign Ozone . 26". (This bike rusted out in one monsoon season)

2010 : BSA Mach. Scrapped. Parts were cannibalized for my Montra. But I threw 'em away. Never really liked the BSA. Quality was missing.

I had the frame until 2013. Gave it away.

2012 : Montra Rock - I. MTB. Size - M. 26" . My most memorable cycle to date. Really made me cycle a lot. Now @ ~9,000 Kilometers.

Still clocking on.....

2015 : 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast Reparto Course. Celeste. 52cm. 700C x 23.

Paid a bomb for this one. My road bike + long distance tourer. It has carbon fibre forks, to boot! Review on previous pages of this very thread. My current flagship. And the best cycle I've owned yet.

~

Last edited by FINTAIL : 15th May 2015 at 14:50.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 15:03   #2511
Senior - BHPian

Fintail ji

I have this massive culture shock when people call a 10,000 buck bicycle a "cheap" cycle.

Were people not cycling before these insanely expensive cycles came around?

My Raleigh roadster in school cost 700 bucks. My first year in the nationals (subjuniors, team time trial) I used that modified with gears and drop bars. Never broke. In practice or competition.

My Hercules cost me 3500 bucks in 2003. Have done some pretty rough stuff with it. And the only damage to her has been a moron motorcyclist who t-boned me and bend my front wheel.

I was wondering if I can get drop bars put on to it and make it into a road bike? The twist shift gears could still be placed on the top flat part of the bars and operated right? Just thinking. I miss my drop bar days. Its a lt more anatomical than these silly MTB straight bars with those two bull horn extensions.

Do let me know if you're ok with meeting up and helping me out with my rejuvenate project. Would appreciate the expert inputs and help for sure. And you might learn something about cycling on a budget from earlier simpler times in the bargain as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th May 2015 at 15:17.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:17   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fintail ji

I have this massive culture shock when people call a 10000 buck bicycle a "cheap" cycle.

Were people not cycling before these insanely expensive cycles came around?
My maternal grandfather used a Raleigh in the 'Fifties. And a Bullet.And a Jawa. And a Willys CJ3B. And a FIAT 1100.

The Raleigh was an import. Made-In-England. It saw many places; Gloucestershire; the UK. Denver; Colorado- In the United States. Bombay; India. Poona. Madras. Jammu. Delhi. Nagpur. Sold in Nagpur, 1984. For a neat profit.

It costed...well....

Over to 1985. My father, then 16; is panting. Furiously. This was the first time he'd bought a new cycle for himself.

And promptly; he went off, cycling. Long distance. He attempted to scale the Ajinkyatara Fort; in Satara.

This cycle was an Avon. The cost- Well; Exactly 725 INR; my father tells me.

Three decades on....Another 16 year old is attempting to climb another fort. Sinhagad. In Poona. He pedals furiously. Pants.

Aww; This slope is too much to climb; particularly in the heat of May.

He looks at his gleaming Italian roadbike. The 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone. This one costs as much as a motorbike.

Yeah right. A good 65k. (Incl gear upgrades and all)

Yeah. Cycles are expensive. I agree.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 15th May 2015 at 15:19.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:24   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over to 1985. My father, then 16
Ok I see where you're coming from now.

Your father being exactly a year older than me.

Wow!
Old 15th May 2015, 15:25   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fintail ji
I have this massive culture shock when people call a 10,000 buck bicycle a "cheap" cycle.
Cant help it as cycle imports are expensive. You need quality, you need to pay. The Indian manufacturers are not doing much than wailing to the govt to restrict imports and slap heavy duties. They themselves have import arms to manage those segments and sell at exorbitant prices.

We are not seeing anything from Indian companies. Do not see an effort to manufacture components locally. I know Starkenn with Giant planned something. No idea what happened.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 15:29   #2515
Senior - BHPian

So guys how about helping with ideas for my Hercules please?

Please give me brand/model options and indicative costs. Will start visiting my old cyle shops and check out from today evening.

Seat?

Tyres?

Rims? Alloys? Or stay stock?

Cables?

Pedals? Resin or Alloys (look cool - grip?)

Drop bars possible on an MTB?

If so, which stem+bars?
Old 15th May 2015, 15:31   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

We are not seeing anything from Indian companies. Do not see an effort to manufacture components locally. I know Starkenn with Giant planned something. No idea what happened.
I did hear a whisper that....

Giant-Starkenn will soon start bicycle manufacturing in India. The first factory will be established in Pune. In 2016/17

Giant-Starkenn are very influential in Pune cycling circles.

Quote:
So guys how about helping with ideas for my Hercules please?

Please give me brand/model options and indicative costs. Will start visiting my old cyle shops and check out from today evening.
Which are these 'old' cycle shops you refer to?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2015 at 15:34. Reason: Consecutive posts merged, thanks.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:36   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which are these 'old' cycle shops you refer to?
Gulab, Singh, the one on the corner of Phadke Haud. Those ones. Lucky (the guy I bought my Hercules from) found greener pastures in road construction contracting. Our sons were in school together. Probably a couple of years junior to you?

Spoke to all the Suncross dealers, so may add those to the list (the ones close by to Camp).

First I need to get the cycle washed and air filled in tyres (invariable punctures repaired). Then use it to go around.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th May 2015 at 15:38.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:48   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gulab, Singh, the one on the corner of Phadke Haud. Those ones. Lucky (the guy I bought my Hercules from) found greener pastures in road construction contracting. Our sons were in school together. Probably a couple of years junior to you?

First I need to get the cycle washed and air filled in tyres (invariable punctures repaired). Then use it to go around.
First things first;

Get the Hercules running. Use it. And then decide if :

You want to quit cycling.

You want to overhaul it.

You want a better one. In this case; try and lend a roadie from Surinder. Give him reference of the 'kid with the Bianchi roadbike'

P.S : Which school was your son in? I've always been a Loyolite.

I still remember our old schoolbus; a 1979 Tata 1210; bearing registration MWQ 8903. Still remember the distinctive "Jalwa" trumpet horns; and the faded red colour the bus always seemed to be in- reminding one of the days gone by.

And that five cylinder Mercedes diesel was a lovely engine!

Still remember the bit painted on the side of the bus- It read-

Loyola High School. Pashan; Poona-8. Ah- good old days! Miss 'em.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 15th May 2015 at 15:50.
Old 15th May 2015, 16:03   #2519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First things first;

Get the Hercules running. Use it. And then decide if :

You want to quit cycling.

You want to overhaul it.

You want a better one. In this case; try and lend a roadie from Surinder. Give him reference of the 'kid with the Bianchi roadbike'

I still remember our old schoolbus; a 1979 Tata 1210; bearing registration MWQ 8903. Still remember the distinctive "Jalwa" trumpet horns; and the faded red colour the bus always seemed to be in- reminding one of the days gone by.

And that five cylinder Mercedes diesel was a lovely engine!

Still remember the bit painted on the side of the bus- It read-

Good advice.

P.S. Its Loyolean. I was one too. Jamshedpur.

Son was in Bishop's.

About the drop bars and gear placement? Any decent place who can tune my gears?
Old 15th May 2015, 16:04   #2520
BHPian

Quote:

Well well well. The internet is indeed a small place. Vincentian here!
RedTerrano is offline   Reply With Quote