Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd June 2015, 15:37   #2566
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Hi Guys,

I have gone through the thread and I need your help in buying my first bike. Please help me in this regard

My Requirements are as follows

1. I am new to cycling and I am not sure whether I will be able to keep interest in cycling. So I just want to try
2. By reading the post and valuable inputs from the expert, I am thinking of buying a hybrid cycle
3. The Models I selected are Montra Blues 1.2, Montra Timba 1.2 and Schwinn Super Sport 3.
4. My budget including the accessories is 25k Max
5. Please suggest any other Models

There is an availibilty of Second sale Merida Crossway 20 with disk break + Lock+bell+ stand. He used it only for 10 KM

Asking price is 22K.

Is it a good bike for the price

Thanks in advance for the expert input
Buddy, if you are just looking to try out a bike, then I have a spare MTB. You can take that from me for some days / weeks to get the hang of cycling.

My take, you wont be able to give it up. We can then re-visit the question of which bike is the best for your needs later. Remember, your cycling needs keeps getting modified :-)

PM me in case you wanna take my bike for some days, we can speak on phone

Last edited by evilshantanu : 3rd June 2015 at 15:47.
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 23:16   #2567
BHPian

Hi Shantanu,

Thank You very much for your kind offer. Meantime I took the rental bicycle from giant for couple of days to try out and see how it goes

I will PM you and get more details from you on buying the bicycle
g_prajeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 14:51   #2568
BHPian

So after a lot of deliberation and a longish test ride on my cousin's bike (not sure of the brand) to check whether I will be able to do it or no I finally bit the bullet and bought myself the Firefox Momentum 700 C last Sunday. Hope I have made the right choice

Its funny how such stuff works because I was restarting cycling properly after school (about 15-17 years later). I had a single gear cycle in between but didn't ride it much. I started out with a budget of 10k was willing to go up to 12k as I wasn't sure of how seriously I will take it up again. There is a cycle shop Everest Cycle in Vashi where one of the owner is childhood friend. In his absence, his colleagues first showed me the Firefox Roadrunner Pro V and D. I even spoke to Faisal from Pro9 Bicycle Studio Bandra. He too recommended I go in for the Firefox Roadrunner Pro V.

I went to Everest with the intention of buying the Roadrunner and my friend was there. He refused to sell me the Roadrunner and made me buy this one. I ended up spending more than double my initial budget but somehow this seems worth it as I really enjoyed the first and only ride on the bike (been unwell since).

I am yet to get acquainted with the bike. So far I only know how to adjust the seat and remove the front wheel. Have been advised against removing the rear wheel as its a complex process.

Some of the accessories which have been installed:
  1. Bell
  2. Front and Rear lights
  3. Bottle Holder

Accessories yet to be purchased / installed:
  1. Lock (he gave me one and it broke while the wife was "trying" it out. He has promised to give me another one
  2. Helmet (need recommendations on which one to buy)
  3. Pouch
  4. Backpack (probably in the long run for longish rides)
  5. Anything else??

Also need suggestions on which app is good for measuring rides. I use Runkeeper for my jogs.

Have taken this solo picture of the bike.
The Bicycles thread-img_1339.jpg
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 16:46   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bro! I like the stealthy airforce grey look.

What is the size of your tyres?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 17:45   #2570
BHPian

Recently I had purchased a used Btwin Mybike, M size, from Hyderabad for Rs.3000/- thanks to Olx. Transportation in Kesineni Volvo bus to Manglore was breeze.
I had a brand new, spare Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and I thought of using it in this single speed Btwin Mybike. I changed the rear rim since I was not satisfied with the quality of the original rim. Mangalore's famous Jyothi Cycle company supplied me a good quality 36h MTB rim and after about 4 hours the final outcome was fantastic. Good , simple cycle with great internal gear hubs. Ride is so smooth. I really like the "unique clicking sound" of Sturmey Archer.

I also ordered Btwin quill stem adapter through Snapdeal and it changed the riding position of Mybike altogether. Here is some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-20150527_164220.jpg  

Attached Images

B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 18:17   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats bro! I like the stealthy airforce grey look.

What is the size of your tyres?
Thank You! I am guessing this was for me

They are 28 inches and frame size is 19.5 inches. Haven't measured it but was told
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 18:57   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
They are 28 inches
I meant what is their thickness. If you look at the side wall it would be written there 28 x _._ _ or _ _/_
Old 5th June 2015, 11:47   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Bitten by the DIY bug (partly fueled by the near clueless fitters in Pune - calling them mechanics would be a travesty - and partly fueled by the fact that most local shops nowadays prefer to only assemble and sell bikes, not repair and service, as there are no margins in that and labor is tight - the fancy imported cycle era has well and truly spelled the death knell of the Indian local cycle scene of just 10 years ago) and not liking the dusty look of the neglected kids cycle of my son lying chained in the garage ever time I take mine out, a couple of days ago I cleaned and oiled it, filled the tyres, and got it running.

Brakes were jammed so replaced both cables. Replaced the completely rusted out ring lock with a new one. Tightened the fork play. Threw away the rusted out bell on the handlebar. Replaced the fork top plugs with some DIY rubber plugs from the local hardware store (ditto for the bar ends of my bike, cut to size.)

Then I spotted the seat and recalled Prabuddha's advice. Some gears started turning in my head, and decided to swap my seat for that on son's bike. Discovered I don't have a No. 11 spanner in the tool kits of both my bikes (rounded the seat post bolt of son's bike while tightening it). Will go to my friendly neighborhood hardware store and get one (and also a new bolt). Also a 13 and 15 so I don't need to keep taking out my bike tools to work on my cycles.

End result of the tinkering ......

Old "wide sofa" seat

The Bicycles thread-201506040005.jpeg

New son's bike's narrower seat (narrower by about an inch in max flared width, length nearly the same, though it is more curvy on top seen side on compared to the old seat which is largely flat; very rudimentary springs and longer adjustable rails)

The Bicycles thread-201506040008.jpeg

Seats swapped between the two bikes

The Bicycles thread-201506040003.jpeg

As the rails are longer (allowing the seat to be pushed back more in comparison to the post) and the fitting on the post is about 0.5 inch taller its given a bit more stretch of the legs (have to get off the seat now to stop, or really tilt the bike) and that (increased height) along with the seat pushed backwards also has brought the front of my knees closer in line with the ends of my crank at the 3 o'clock position (though still ahead - nothing can be done about that).

Prabuddha, how does one know when the seat is too high and your hips start rocking?

Next step, once I get my thinner tyres, will be to put on the new Raleigh handle and grips and the taller quill stem with slightly longer angled stem.

Will report back after a few days of riding on this seat.

P.S. Also got me a bottle of Singer's sewing machine oil for the chain. No more black goo now.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th June 2015 at 11:59.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:36   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
....As the rails are longer (allowing the seat to be pushed back more in comparison to the post) and the fitting on the post is about 0.5 inch taller its given a bit more stretch of the legs (have to get off the seat now to stop, or really tilt the bike) and that (increased height) along with the seat pushed backwards also has brought the front of my knees closer in line with the ends of my crank at the 3 o'clock position (though still ahead - nothing can be done about that).

Prabuddha, how does one know when the seat is too high and your hips start rocking? ....
Firstly, when you set up your saddle, for the correct fore and aft setting make sure your kneecap is vertically over the pedal axle when the crank is pointing forward (3 o clock).

Saddle height preference can vary slightly from person to person, but generally, since you are on platforms, you shall need to keep your saddle height lower than you would with foot retention. One simple way to get the basic height right is to place your heel on the fully lowered pedal - your knee should be fully extended without your hip stretching downward.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 12:53   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Firstly, when you set up your saddle, for the correct fore and aft setting make sure your kneecap is vertically over the pedal axle when the crank is pointing forward (3 o clock).
I mentioned that in my post above. The kneecap is still ahead of the pedal axle even with the highest position of the seat (0.5 inches taller than earlier) and the saddle post bracket fully forward on the saddle rails. Beyond this the only solution is a curved top seat post.

Quote:
Saddle height preference can vary slightly from person to person, but generally, since you are on platforms, you shall need to keep your saddle height lower than you would with foot retention. One simple way to get the basic height right is to place your heel on the fully lowered pedal - your knee should be fully extended without your hip stretching downward.
Yup. Checked this. Heel on platform, pedal straight down in sine with seat post, leg fully stretched.

Is the seat ok now?
Old 5th June 2015, 12:57   #2576
BHPian

This seat is obviously lesser in volume than the earlier one. So that is good. As you ride more and stay on your bike longer and pedal more, you will be able to make out if this suits you or if you want a narrower saddle.
Old 5th June 2015, 13:52   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This seat is obviously lesser in volume than the earlier one. So that is good. As you ride more and stay on your bike longer and pedal more, you will be able to make out if this suits you or if you want a narrower saddle.
Prabuddha, we are currently averaging around 20-21 kmph over 10-15 km stints. Typically our daily ride is about 25-30 kms, with a water/breather break in between. I know road bikes are much faster, but could you help me with a good number to aim for in terms of the daily rides, both in terms of the distance as well as the average speed/time, which would be the norm for MTBs and good riders? We are all in our mid 30s to mid 40s and got into this mainly for fitness and fun, but it would be good to have something to benchmark our progress against.
Old 5th June 2015, 15:53   #2578
BHPian

Since your distances are short, you can easily set yourselves a target of 25kmph. I just have to add the disclaimer that I have next to no experience in terms of mtb's, and I am simply comparing with road bike timings and adding a handicap.

I for instance ride (only weekends) about 70 km on a typical ride. The average speed if we don't loiter, comes to around 25-27 kmph. So, given a heavy steel frame and steel wheels and 2 inch wide tires, I would imagine an average of 20 kmph for a 50-80 km distance. For a shorter distance, it could be worked up to 25 kmph on a short 10-15km stint.
Old 5th June 2015, 16:02   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since your distances are short, you can easily set yourselves a target of 25kmph. I just have to add the disclaimer that I have next to no experience in terms of mtb's, and I am simply comparing with road bike timings and adding a handicap.

I for instance ride (only weekends) about 70 km on a typical ride. The average speed if we don't loiter, comes to around 25-27 kmph. So, given a heavy steel frame and steel wheels and 2 inch wide tires, I would imagine an average of 20 kmph for a 50-80 km distance. For a shorter distance, it could be worked up to 25 kmph on a short 10-15km stint.
Thanks bro, that was most helpful. Seems 15-16 mph is the norm globally for MTBs on road (training, commute etc.). So works out to around 24-26 kmph .... around the same suggested by you for shorter distances.
Old 5th June 2015, 18:44   #2580

Hullo friends, Newbie to cycling. Been following this thread eagerly. Recently transferred to Pune. Went to Surender cycle store , getting bianchi duel pro for 20k. Other options are montra series.. Please suggest if bianchi deal is decent. Usage is going to be for fitness purpose consisting road and little trails. Should one check out Giant showroom? Budget is 25k at a stretch. Thanks.
anshuman965 is offline   Reply With Quote