Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 03:16   #2581
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 978
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Since your distances are short, you can easily set yourselves a target of 25kmph. I just have to add the disclaimer that I have next to no experience in terms of mtb's, and I am simply comparing with road bike timings and adding a handicap.

I for instance ride (only weekends) about 70 km on a typical ride. The average speed if we don't loiter, comes to around 25-27 kmph. So, given a heavy steel frame and steel wheels and 2 inch wide tires, I would imagine an average of 20 kmph for a 50-80 km distance. For a shorter distance, it could be worked up to 25 kmph on a short 10-15km stint.
Spot on mate, at least thats what I was able to manage on my MTB with 2.2 inch tyre.

20 to 22Kmph for 50 to 80 Km ride, 23 - 25 Kmph for 10 to 15 Km. and 27-30 Kmph for 1.5 to 3Km.

All these on relatively flat roads, BTW.

The weather in Sweden, right now is perfect, 16 - 20 C and mostly sunny.

Went for kayaking today. 40KMs on bike, 10Kms(4 hours) kayaking.
The Bicycles thread-gopr0370.jpg

The Bicycles thread-gopr0380.jpg

Last edited by ecenandu : 6th June 2015 at 03:17.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 10:50   #2582
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Spot on mate, at least thats what I was able to manage on my MTB with 2.2 inch tyre.

20 to 22Kmph for 50 to 80 Km ride, 23 - 25 Kmph for 10 to 15 Km. and 27-30 Kmph for 1.5 to 3Km.

All these on relatively flat roads, BTW.
That's very fast pace bro. Which MTB? Hardtail or rigid forks?

We are running 1.95 and 1.75 inch tyres and not able to manage over 20-21.

How long have you been cycling?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 12:45   #2583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Introducing the new member of the family - The Viper
a new addition to the stable- polygon helios 500, Its a lightest aluminum alloy roadbike which is on par with most of the carbon fiber bike.weighs around 8.3kgs with race and endurance geometry. ride has been damn smooth and quick acceleration thanks to 105 groupset and mavic aksium race wheelset, i'm in love with the music of these wheelset.
Attached Images
 
Dreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 13:52   #2584
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 978
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's very fast pace bro. Which MTB? Hardtail or rigid forks?

We are running 1.95 and 1.75 inch tyres and not able to manage over 20-21.

How long have you been cycling?
Mine is not rigid forks, but I can lock it.

Thanks, Not long mate, May be 10 months and covered close to 2500 Kms.
556 Kms last year(4Months) and 1993 Kms this year to be exact .
And I use Sigma cycle computer to log everything. So I checked my average speed for 2500Kms, stands at 18.667Kmph.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 13:58   #2585
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Thanks, Not long mate, May be 10 months and covered close to 2500 Kms.
Ah ok so there's still hope. A little over 2 weeks and about 300-350 kms here.

Still setting my steel MTB up to optimize it. Put Prabuddha's advice on pedal clips (with straps) on the backburner for now because they are way too pricey for the moment. A Suncross guy I am speaking to in Delhi has them on his website at around 1400 bucks. Decathlon would cost around the same.

I would definitely like nicer tyres ASAP - nylon, thinner, and which can be filled harder with more pressure - less rolling resistance. Heard most cyclists pick up as much as 3-4 kmph in the average speeds on their MTBs with just thinner slicker tyres. I may not get as much because I'm not exactly running my original 2.1 inch knobbies anymore, but I'm hoping to at least be closer to 25 kmph than I am now by this relatively low cost "cheating." Indian tyres and tubes (1.5 inches) should come to around 700 bucks a pair.

Hopefully next week.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th June 2015 at 14:08.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 14:23   #2586
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 978
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ah ok so there's still hope. A little over 2 weeks and about 300-350 kms here.

Still setting my steel MTB up to optimize it. Put Prabuddha's advice on pedal clips (with straps) on the backburner for now because they are way too pricey for the moment. A Suncross guy I am speaking to in Delhi has them on his website at around 1400 bucks. Decathlon would cost around the same.

I would definitely like nicer tyres ASAP - nylon, thinner, and which can be filled harder with more pressure - less rolling resistance. Heard most cyclists pick up as much as 3-4 kmph in the average speeds on their MTBs with just thinner slicker tyres. I may not get as much because I'm not exactly running my original 2.1 inch knobbies anymore, but I'm hoping to at least be closer to 25 kmph than I am now by this relatively low cost "cheating." Indian tyres and tubes (1.5 inches) should come to around 700 bucks a pair.

Hopefully next week.
Cheating or no cheating, as you clock more miles, you can see your average speed also going up. 2 weeks and you starts worrying, in that period I was averaging 18 I believe.

I think you should add the time/distance also as goal. 25Kmph for 50Kms, etc.
Right now, if I push hard, I can maintain 25+ Kmph for 30 to 35 mins tops and then I have to wait for quite some time to push harder again .
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 14:40   #2587
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
2 weeks and you starts worrying, in that period I was averaging 18 I believe.
Well, I used to be a competitive cyclist many many (blue) moons ago. High school. Mid to late 80s to be precise. LOL

Quote:
I think you should add the time/distance also as goal. 25Kmph for 50Kms, etc. Right now, if I push hard, I can maintain 25+ Kmph for 30 to 35 mins tops and then I have to wait for quite some time to push harder again .
Yup, that's the plan. Our group leader is sadly the by-the-book slow and steady incremental interval training type ....
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 17:40   #2588
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hindustan
Posts: 18
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman965 View Post
Hullo friends, Newbie to cycling. Been following this thread eagerly. Recently transferred to Pune. Went to Surender cycle store , getting bianchi duel pro for 20k. Other options are montra series.. Please suggest if bianchi deal is decent. Usage is going to be for fitness purpose consisting road and little trails. Should one check out Giant showroom? Budget is 25k at a stretch. Thanks.
Hi Anshuman - Do have a look at lifecycle store near Swargate ( http://www.lifecycleonline.in/ ), wonderful array of cycles including the ones in your budget.

The owner and staff are friendly and would guide you on appropriate purchase. Do take a test ride before your purchase.
alfafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 19:48   #2589
BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 978
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, I used to be a competitive cyclist many many (blue) moons ago. High school. Mid to late 80s to be precise. LOL
Damn, I should be getting advise from you then. I did a 6 Km sprint, today after typing about the average speed, 27 it was. My legs were crying towards the end .

Would be nice to hear about your cycling experience in 80's. Do pen down if you get some time.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 00:09   #2590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 297
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I meant what is their thickness. If you look at the side wall it would be written there 28 x _._ _ or _ _/_
Just got around checking this today. It is 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8. I know 28 is the rim size of the tyres what do the other 2 signify? Please advise.
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 11:56   #2591
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Damn, I should be getting advise from you then. I did a 6 Km sprint, today after typing about the average speed, 27 it was. My legs were crying towards the end .

Would be nice to hear about your cycling experience in 80's. Do pen down if you get some time.
Well, I used to love cycling. And Jamshedpur a lot like Pune has rolling roads and surrounded by hills. I had a Raleigh Roadster. In the seventh standard I won a few cycle races for fun (school sports day, and a few sponsored events - Agfa Camera, etc.) and was noticed by the coach of the Bihar Cycling Team (whose son also stidied in our school and was my senior at the time and was also training for the nationals).

Mr. Amar Singh (represented India at the Asiads) had a talk with my parents to allow me to come and train with him and the team. Since I was still in the seventh and studies pressure not a lot they agreed. He helped me convert my roadster into a racer. Drop bars, no brakes, stripped in clean to reduce weight, a big crank up front (I think 50 or 52) and a small fixed wheel to replace the standard freewheel behind. A old racing saddle which he donated to me completed the picture. I remember we used the same roadster wheels with thinner tyres.

Two other school cyclists were also selected and we started training. One had a similar roadster and one an SLR. Used to wake up early and cycle from home to the Jubilee Lake where we would do lap after lap of the 5.4 km lake circuit, before rushing back home to bathe have breakfast and rush to school.

Won a few more races, some against bigger boys age groups as well (coach got the organizers to allow - I was a sub-junior then) and finally the main BIG one. Qualifiers for the State team for the national at Bikaner next year. Boys (many with fancy cycles) from around the state came. I remember getting a mild sunstroke that day as well. Three guys made the qualifying mark. I was one of them.

The event we were selected for was the sub-juniors 100 km Team Time Trial. 4 guys set out. The timing of the third guy to cross the finish line is taken as the team time. Since there were only 3 of us, all 3 of us had to finish.

I remember we dismantled the bikes and packed them in the same jute gunny bags they use for packing 2 wheelers at the station. The bikes were kept near the door chained together. We had a gala time in Bikaner (my first trip out without my parents). Our senior guys with the professional bikes did very well on the velodrome events. Even 1-2 girls from north Bihar were very good (Manipur used to dominate women's cycling those days). Then it was our turn.

I remember how proud we were to wear the white team t-shirt with Bihar written in big red font! We did not have professional tights like our seniors so we wore tight thigh hugging cotton above knee shorts which our mom's had stitched for us (I guess the bums and inner thighs and groins of the young are a lot tougher LOL). We wore those padded strip type helmets which skaters and boxers wear. All our seniors were there at the start to cheer us.

The route was 50 kms one way, do a U turn and race 50 kms back. I do not remember the timing we did or any details. I just remember the Rajasthan sun, the reflection off the sand (no goggles), the eatherware glasses of water given along the way (which you chuck by the side), and the feeling of elation when we made the turn (sped automatically went up just to look good to the crowd).

What I also remember is that we were not lapped by a single team in spite of being the only team with normal bikes. And the last 20kms as one of us 3 started flagging and the remaining two of us having to coax him along as without him we would get a DNF! We finally made it. I think we actually were middle of the pack and coach had a lot of cyclists coming up to him and admiring our guts.

For the next nationals we really wanted to podium. I would be in the ninth standard and up against bigger boys now (juniors). We needed to get better bikes. Months passed trying to get old second hand racers. But in those days, they were like gold. This was pre liberalization India. Importing needed tons of paperwork and licenses and permits and months and sometimes even years would pass before one could get a bike into India. Never mind the cost.

But we tried that route as well. Coach contacted a team abroad (his friends from his Asiad racing days) to get some old Team Raleighs (red color). But finally my parents decided that it was getting too close to the tenth standard and my ICSE exams. Plus my studies and Brilliants tutorials and tuitions and extra classes (I had already started prepping for Medical entrances by then). Not to mention that the cycle itself would have cost over 10-15000 bucks landed cost eventually (my Raleigh cost 700 in those days).

So that was the end of my 2+ years of serious cycling. I remember even asking my dad once to allow me to become a professional cyclist and the look of incredulous amazement on his face! Anyways all was not a waste. I made it through a ton of top medical colleges, and the one we finally decided on, AFMC, in the interview (panel comprising of Brigadiers and Generals) there was a Brigadier Aiyanna (his son was to be a senior of mine in college - is an elite paratrooper today) who when he found out I was a cyclist, the entire 20 minute interview instead of being on Biology or Physics or Chemistry or GK/current affairs, was on cycling, gear ratios, team time trial tactics, etc. (hardly anyone else spoke) And it helped me with my final top 5 rank (I think at 3rd or 4th, I was the highest civvy ranked student all India in my batch).

So that's my story from another century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Just got around checking this today. It is 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8. I know 28 is the rim size of the tyres what do the other 2 signify? Please advise.
1 5/8 inch tyre wall height. 1 3/8 inch tyre width (of carcass without tread). Both measures of tyre carcass without tread.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th June 2015 at 12:03.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 12:06   #2592
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jam-luru
Posts: 257
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I have used Endomondo and Strava for logging my bike rides. While both give similar stats on distance/ speed/ time, I found huge difference in the calories consumed !!

Which is more accurate and why ?

Any insight into this matter from fellow BHPians is appreciated.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 13:07   #2593
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Can someone please help me out with deciphering the size marking on my rims please?

Both have close to the valve stamped "TI Cycles 26x1.75/1.95"

The rear rim has additionally "B" after the above.

The front rim has additionally what looks like either 0 or II followed by 99 after the above.

Haven't been able to find anything on Sheldon Brown etc. which talk more in terms of tyre than rim size.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 14:13   #2594
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 552
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can someone please help me out with deciphering the size marking on my rims please?

Both have close to the valve stamped "TI Cycles 26x1.75/1.95"

The rear rim has additionally "B" after the above.

The front rim has additionally what looks like either 0 or II followed by 99 after the above.

Haven't been able to find anything on Sheldon Brown etc. which talk more in terms of tyre than rim size.
Most probably it gives the sizes of tyres that you could mount on this rim.

But the way I have used Sheldon Brown table is to check the inner width between rim walls using a scale and then decide what is the lowest tyre I could mount there. My bicycle (hybrid) came with 700x35c but with that table I could figure out I can go down till 700x28c. So when I had to change a tyre I changed it with 700x32c.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 14:18   #2595
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Most probably it gives the sizes of tyres that you could mount on this rim.

But the way I have used Sheldon Brown table is to check the inner width between rim walls using a scale and then decide what is the lowest tyre I could mount there. My bicycle (hybrid) came with 700x35c but with that table I could figure out I can go down till 700x28c. So when I had to change a tyre I changed it with 700x32c.
Yup that's what I thought too. But the original tyre the bike came with was a big fat extreme knobby that was most definitely 2.125 at the very least. Hence the confusion.

The B probably refers to "Beaded" type in terms of the type of tyres it can take (wire beaded).

The II or 0 99 I thought was a date or something since I bought the cycle in 2002 but it was old stock which the dealer was hoarding as it had an export gear set.

The markings are probably different because one rim (can't recall which one now) was replaced when a moron biker T boned me and bent my wheel completely.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th June 2015 at 14:23.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India the mole Pre-War 77 5th February 2017 09:54
Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles, etc Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 36 28th March 2014 11:28
The Team-Bhp thread of shame (Pray you arent mentioned in this thread ) speedsatya Street Experiences 10 24th February 2012 14:27
BMW Bicycles!! Stratos Shifting gears 16 14th June 2005 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks