Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th June 2015, 18:05   #2641
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I read somewhere that inherent to their design, foot pumps cannot effectively fill to or beyond pressures above 50-60 PSI. Not a roblem for cars or bikes, but some cycle tyres (especially the thinner they get) need quite a bit more.
+1. Stay away from foot pumps. Been there done that. Foot pumps are useless if you want to go beyond 50. Better use floor pumps of bicycles. Or if you don't want that effort, then buy a mini compressor that can run using car cigarette lighter port.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 18:12   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
+1. Stay away from foot pumps. Been there done that. Foot pumps are useless if you want to go beyond 50. Better use floor pumps of bicycles. Or if you don't want that effort, then buy a mini compressor that can run using car cigarette lighter port.
You have PM bro. Help urgently needed please.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 21:11   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Nope; to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks again. I check with Surender cycles, he quoted 1200 per tyre!! Was a bit shocked since I did not expect it to be so costly. Is this the correct price?

He also suggested an alternative in Schwalbe (he could not remember the details) @1100 INR per tyre.

Any suggestions or alternatives?
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 09:37   #2644
BHPian

Thanks a lot doc and shipnil. You saved me from the disappointment!
RishikeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 16:37   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Thanks again. I check with Surender cycles, he quoted 1200 per tyre!! Was a bit shocked since I did not expect it to be so costly. Is this the correct price?

He also suggested an alternative in Schwalbe (he could not remember the details) @1100 INR per tyre.

Well; those are imported tires.

I remember paying a similar amount.

Money well spent; I must say!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 17:08   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maxxis Detonator 26x1.50 on sale for 920 bucks here

http://onlinebicycles.in/product/max...tonator-m203p/
Old 18th June 2015, 02:48   #2647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you want good international brand based tires, be ready to plonk ~1k or more per tire.

Quote:
Maxxis Detonator 26x1.50 on sale for 920 bucks here

http://onlinebicycles.in/product/max...tonator-m203p/
That is a pretty decent slick mtb tire. Had (have) it for almost 6 months and ~1000+ kms. Very durable and good tires.
And a decent deal; I paid 1200 odd for it last year.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 12:08   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That is a pretty decent slick mtb tire. Had (have) it for almost 6 months and ~1000+ kms. Very durable and good tires.
And a decent deal; I paid 1200 odd for it last year.
Ninja, if everything goes as promised by the manufacturer (Ralco), I might get a set of these early next month

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3728367 (The Bicycles thread)

A little Googling showed that they are a copy of the very popular MTB slick by Raleigh called Streetwise.

Size is again 26x1.50 (37-559).

My concern (something I had queried Prabuddha here on earlier as well) is the smooth profile rubber (no ridges/lines, dots, etc.) with only these L shaped rain(?) channels.

Will it be safe for cornering?

I know that in bikes, the smoother the rubber the more the contact and better the grip. Hence race slicks in the dry. Does that also hold true for cycles?

The reason bike tyres have channels as tread is mainly for aquaplaning. I read somewhere that because of the weight and the hugely narrower contact patch, cycles NEVER aquaplane! So theoretically this tyre should be ok. Am only concerned about the practicals.

Thanks, Doc
Old 20th June 2015, 00:13   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ninja, if everything goes as promised by the manufacturer (Ralco), I might get a set of these early next month

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3728367 (The Bicycles thread)

My concern (something I had queried Prabuddha here on earlier as well) is the smooth profile rubber (no ridges/lines, dots, etc.) with only these L shaped rain(?) channels.

Will it be safe for cornering?
Theoretically these might not be a good set for the same reasons as above. Practically & realistically these would be more than sufficient for our kind of riding (unless you are planning to do some hardcore offtrail riding at high speeds).

Having said that, I could not find a lot of reviews on these tires (irrespective of going by either name) - not sure how puncture resistant or durable these are. And to me, those are more practically important aspects than chances of aquaplaning or cornering issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Shame on me. My 11km ride takes gets done at 15km/hr. Only mitigating factor will be that the terrain is not flat. A bit hilly. But even on flat terrain I will not be nearing 20+ km. Mine is not a road bike. A steel commuter bike - Jamis Coda Sport.
Btw that is a very no-nonsense VFM steel frame bike - one that is used heavily by long distance commuters. Considered to be very durable and reliable!

And I wouldn't worry too much on the kmph factor. Every rider is different, and the comfort factor with his/her bike as well as the condition of the bike also makes a suitable impact on the speeds. Average of 15kmph is a pretty decent speed. Keep pushing (on speed and/or distance) and you could easily map your performance and gauge the improvements.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th June 2015 at 00:19.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 12:13   #2650
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advice Ninja. Will keep my current nylons on till the rains are done, and then try on the thinner smoother tyres.
Old 21st June 2015, 13:41   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Btw that is a very no-nonsense VFM steel frame bike - one that is used heavily by long distance commuters. Considered to be very durable and reliable!
Indeed they are. Very simple and just keep going. The consensus is that they outlast the rider.

omafiets.com.au/blogs/news/16625097-upgrading-your-jamis-coda-sport

Check out the last section of the webpage.
That guy covered a distance of around 3900Kms on his modified Coda Sport.

Need to buy the waterproof cover for the shoes. Once drenched they take ages to dry.

Last edited by download2live : 21st June 2015 at 13:43.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 15:25   #2652
Senior - BHPian

The rains are here!

Cyclists; what do you do to protect your cycle from the wet elements?

Wax it; put a coat of oil over it; or not use the bicycle at all?

I have my own methods- shall share later. The chains get very wet during monsoons; though. Need to relube and clean frequently.

P.S: The Bianchi Via Nirone went for it's first 'overhaul'. Certain parts which are not to my liking- will be replaced.

Might consider changing tires to slightly wider ones. Hunting for GatorSkins.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 22:42   #2653
Senior - BHPian

BHPian sukiwa kindly came over to my place all the way across town on a Sunday morning to work on my bike and help me out with my front gear shifting issues.

Thanks a ton Suhas. Your gesture was greatly appreciated, and the mark of a true enthusiast!

The problem was two fold. One was that the chain was rubbing against the inside of the derailleur in some gears (noticed mainly on the middle chain ring.

We've managed to largely take care of that.

The other which we kind of have not is that the drop down (big to intermediate, intermediate to small) are smooth and achieved with a single click of the twist shifter.

But the climb ups (small to intermediate, intermediate to big) do not happen with just a simple click. You have to (I've learned this with experience - Suhas hadn't yet as it was not his bike) twist the shifter beyond the click point and hold it there as the chain climbs up and covers the desired chainring before letting go.

So its basically click + pull some more + hold and then the chain climbs. With pedaling of course.

Any pointers guys?

Or is this endemic to grip shifters?
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:33   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
The rains are here!

Cyclists; what do you do to protect your cycle from the wet elements?

Wax it; put a coat of oil over it; or not use the bicycle at all?
An advantage of white cycles is that you get an impulse to clean the dirty bits as soon as it gets dirty. So after every ride I wipe down the cycle and have even taken it to a neighborhood car wash guy to wash the stubborn dirt once.

And yes one needs to clean and lube chain frequently. I dislike to get dirty but what needs to be done needs to be done.

5:30-6ish time is the time I go on Palm Beach road - not everyday but 3/4 times a week in rains. It's a complete different world out there.

Last edited by blackwasp : 22nd June 2015 at 09:35.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:29   #2655
BHPian

Well the roadie is packed for the rains(polished &lubed) with a bit of WD40 on the bolts etc. to prevent rusting.Use the mtb for the rains polished & lubed along with WD40,after a ride I just use the blower to remove water & dirt from the cycle and lube the chains if necessary & a proper wash & polish after every 15-20 rides
The products used
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-rsz_20150622_111813.jpg  

yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote