Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th July 2015, 19:45   #2716
BHPian

Experienced my first puncture. Thankfully close to home. So to get it fixed I simply removed the rear wheel and took it to the cycle shop in my car. Had to replace the tube tough. But I did learn how to properly adjust the brakes today from the exercise of detaching and attaching the wheel.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 12:26   #2717
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Can someone suggest me some good bikes in the range upto 25k? The main usage would be to roam around a bit in the mornings and an occasional trip to the office which is around 7kms one way.

I am not too sure about Firefox, I have not seen many reviews of the bicycles online.
I have the Firefox Momentum 700 C. Try it out. It should fit in your budget and I am happy with the experience so far.
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 09:48   #2718

anyone wanting Michelin cycle tyres please contact 9840920870
tyrestore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:19   #2719
AWD
BANNED

Im in the process of purchasing a bike, shortlisted; Cannondale Trail series, Giant Revel, Fuji Nevada, Lappiere Raid series. Which one of these should i finally go in for ? Or any other good choices ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:59   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Im in the process of purchasing a bike, shortlisted; Cannondale Trail series, Giant Revel, Fuji Nevada, Lappiere Raid series. Which one of these should i finally go in for ? Or any other good choices ?
Take a TD (or, to be more specific- TR- Test Ride ) - and on that basis, take a call on what to buy.

For me, the order of preference would be: Cannondale>Fuji>Lapierre>Giant.

All are excellent cycles, I admit. However, I would prefer the Cannondale. Track & Trail outlets are plenty in number- and thus, parts availability and mechanics familiar with the Cannondale will be quite a few in number.

That said, all the bikes are equally good. Take rides, and see if the frame geometry; handling; looks et cetera are to your tastes, or not.

Net on net- All are equally good. Take a test ride, and decide.

When I was hunting high and low for a decent roadbike, a certain dealer suggested me the LaPierre Audacio 200. Many people told me one thing- You just cannot go wrong with the LaPierre.

Eventually I bought a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast. The Bianchi handled great- looked expensive, and had a general aura of Italian charm around it.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 17:26   #2721
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Take a TD

For me, the order of preference would be: Cannondale>Fuji>Lapierre>Giant.
prefer the Cannondale. Track & Trail outlets are plenty in number- and thus, parts availability and mechanics familiar with the Cannondale will be quite a few in number.

You just cannot go wrong with the LaPierre.
Taken many TRs but still confused!

Yea I heard Cannondale is good, btw Im looking for a 29er. Should I opt for Trail 6 or 7 ? But there are no Track & Trail outlets around & no local dealer for Cannondale so parts could also be an issue.

Im looking for a MTB & Ive also been told the same thing about Lapierre !

Another thing, My height is 6Ft so like size L is suggested in most brands, I do not find this size very comfy. Mainly because I have to sit a bit crouched & have to stretch out arms to grab the handlebar. While I like sitting straight on a bike, which I can't do on the suggested sizes. Now I know that the crouched position is actually the right position to ride but could I downsize the frame to M, would it bring the handlebar closer to the rider & thus I could sit straighter ?
Old 4th August 2015, 21:12   #2722
BANNED

Quote:

Yea I heard Cannondale is good, btw Im looking for a 29er. Should I opt for Trail 6 or 7 ? But there are no Track & Trail outlets around & no local dealer for Cannondale so parts could also be an issue.

Another thing, My height is 6Ft so like size L is suggested in most brands, I do not find this size very comfy. Mainly because I have to sit a bit crouched & have to stretch out arms to grab the handlebar. While I like sitting straight on a bike, which I can't do on the suggested sizes. Now I know that the crouched position is actually the right position to ride but could I downsize the frame to M, would it bring the handlebar closer to the rider & thus I could sit straighter ?
A smaller than correct size will make the posture more aggressive. It's what the pros do.
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 03:47   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A lot of the bikes differ on their size categories, but on an average, it'd be safe to say L size would be ideal for 6 ft height. In MTB lingo, a 19' or 21' would be a safe bet. Or a 56 or 58cm in case of a roadbike. I am 5 10' and I generally stick to L for hybrid (56 for road bike)

As for crouching seating position, are you keeping the saddle height proper. Again this varies from person to person as well as the bike, but a safe assumption would be to keep the saddle at equal height level to the handle bar.

Shifting to a lower size might solve one problem but in the longer run it might cause other issues.

Edit: The sizing I'm refering to is for 26-er or 700c bikes. Not 100% sure if 29-er bikes have same sizing categories.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th August 2015 at 03:53.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 08:59   #2724
BHPian

Surprised myself after using strava for the first time! Not bad at all for a single speed bike I ride. I guess the bikes suits me more than I thought!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1438745274675.jpg  

blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 20:26   #2725
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
A smaller than correct size will make the posture more aggressive. It's what the pros do.
Oops that really wont help my cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A lot of the bikes differ on their size categories, but on an average, it'd be safe to say L size would be ideal for 6 ft height.

As for crouching seating position, are you keeping the saddle height proper

Shifting to a lower size might solve one problem but in the longer run it might cause other issues.
Yes actually eg. if you have tried Btwin Rockrider range, Ive included this bike because most have ridden it. So the suggested size for our height is L. Now on this very bike I have to stretch my arms to reach the handlebar & sit in a crouched position. This puts pressure on the lower back & I feel like sitting straight to relieve it. Now when I try to straighten up, hands wont reach the handlebar. So a biker friend suggested to downsize a bit for added comfort.

Yes I have changed heights of the saddle but crouching remains the common factor.

Ok, what other issues could it possible lead to ?
Old 7th August 2015, 19:46   #2726
Distinguished - BHPian

Any bike fans here in US? I am thinking of picking up a bike this weekend. A local bike shop has its annual bike swap event tomorrow. I went to the shop a couple of days back and it seems a Specialized Sirrus XL would fit my body geometry well. The other bike I am considering is Cannondale Quick 4. Both are comparable in price. So, if i find either of these two tomorrow at a reasonable price (although I have no idea what a "reasonable price" is for a used bike) I will get it, or I will go with buying new.

So, any opinions on Cannondale Quick 4 vs Specialized Sirrus Sport? I'll be riding on mostly paved bike paths or packed dirt paths. No plans to venture off course yet.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 20:45   #2727
BHPian

Quote:

@AWD, I am 6'1" and I have Cannondale Trail 7. I would suggest you stick to the correct frame size else you might have problems in the long run. What you are mentioning are the Stem height and reach issue. Reach was not a problem for me but the crouched position gave me shoulder blade pain. I put a "Delta Stem raiser" to give me more upright seating posture and that solved my problem. You can get this stem raiser for Nashbar.com, their prices are reasonable but shipping costs are exorbitant. If reach is still a problem, you can actually put a shorty stem.

Coming to which cycle to prefer, I am very happy with Cannondale Trail7. Cant comment on other choices as never rode them.

Btw, its better to buy a Gonio meter and properly adjust your saddle height, saddle position and angle. Sometimes moving the saddle forward by few mm might actually solve your stem reach problem.

All the best
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 20:47   #2728
BHPian

Any takers for the August 15th bicycle ride in Hyderabad?
shifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 21:45   #2729
BANNED

My first cycle was Hero ranger way back in 1995.

After twenty years of gap and lot of confusion between Giant Split 1 and Btwin Rockrider 520, I have ordered Btwin Rockrider 520 finally. Will post initial review shortly.
Nilay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 23:09   #2730
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
@AWD, I am 6'1" and I have Cannondale Trail 7.I
Nice, hows the bike, is it a 29er ? I have sort of shortlisted this bike, so a final decision would depend on your review

Thanks for the links, will try one of these if problem is there in the new bike. But for now I wan to choose a bike in the first place on which I dont have to carry out these changes.