Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th August 2015, 00:05   #2731

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Hello guys,
I have been cycling for past year with my soul companion the Cannondale trail 7 (costed me 40000 Rs) and have developed a great love for the sport and want to continue cycling for a long time, thus i am now thinking of upgrading my mountain bike to a better one as i am getting a great buyback value for my Cannondale i.e around35000 Rs, and thus need your help and guidance in choosing the best Mountain Bike available in a price range of about 70000 Rs (35000 from selling my old one and 35000 i will put myself) , I have researched well on numerous options available but am confused between these:

Cannondale Trail 4
Cannondale Trail 5
Bergamont Revox 4.0
Ducati 729 SX (29er)

Please help me choose the best out of these options with a deal breaking difference between them. (Please do not recommend me any other Bicycle, have chosen these options after researching a lot)
sagarrungta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 00:56   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Any bike fans here in US? I am thinking of picking up a bike this weekend. A local bike shop has its annual bike swap event tomorrow. I went to the shop a couple of days back and it seems a Specialized Sirrus XL would fit my body geometry well. The other bike I am considering is Cannondale Quick 4. Both are comparable in price. So, if i find either of these two tomorrow at a reasonable price (although I have no idea what a "reasonable price" is for a used bike) I will get it, or I will go with buying new.

So, any opinions on Cannondale Quick 4 vs Specialized Sirrus Sport? I'll be riding on mostly paved bike paths or packed dirt paths. No plans to venture off course yet.
I'm kind of new to biking, But after riding for around 2-3 years in the US. the following are my observations.

Roadbikes are crazy fast with drop bars and Aero bars. You might want to upgrade pretty soon from a flat bar (handle) to something else.

I never thought I would be doing 20-30 miles consistently. The roadbikes are terrible on gravel roads. If I have to buy a new bike now - I might go with a cyclocross bike. Something like Fuji Cross 1.5 - which can take occasional offroading.

make sure you get the right fit, from a bike shop. The wrong fit would get to back pain and lot of other issues. Till I got my bike fitted, it was so painful, that I could do only 10 miles, after fitting, I can do almost 20 miles without any huge discomfort.

Use padded Cycling shorts. They add a lot of comfort on any bike.

Let me know if you need any more help, I'm a newb at this- but I'll try to find the answers.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 01:28   #2733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I'm kind of new to biking, But after riding for around 2-3 years in the US. the following are my observations.

Roadbikes are crazy fast with drop bars and Aero bars. You might want to upgrade pretty soon from a flat bar (handle) to something else.

I never thought I would be doing 20-30 miles consistently. The roadbikes are terrible on gravel roads. If I have to buy a new bike now - I might go with a cyclocross bike. Something like Fuji Cross 1.5 - which can take occasional offroading.

make sure you get the right fit, from a bike shop. The wrong fit would get to back pain and lot of other issues. Till I got my bike fitted, it was so painful, that I could do only 10 miles, after fitting, I can do almost 20 miles without any huge discomfort.

Use padded Cycling shorts. They add a lot of comfort on any bike.

Let me know if you need any more help, I'm a newb at this- but I'll try to find the answers.
Awesome! Just what I was looking for.

There are a couple of biking trails around where I live, which include both paved as well as packed dirt paths. Since I am not sure yet what kind of biking I will be doing, I am leaning towards a hybrid bike. So far, the reviews that i have read for Specialized Sirrus are all good. And the bike also has a slightly longer than average wheelbase which suits my abnormally long arms too.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 06:40   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Nice, hows the bike, is it a 29er ? I have sort of shortlisted this bike, so a final decision would depend on your review

Thanks for the links, will try one of these if problem is there in the new bike. But for now I wan to choose a bike in the first place on which I dont have to carry out these changes.
I went for 26 inch, 2 reasons for my choice 1) I am beginner and main purpose for my riding is to improve my fitness so started with easier to peddle one 2) 26inch is very easy to maneuver around potholes, rocks etc, which are plenty in the rural village roads around Bangalore where I go peddling on weekends. 29ers will be hard to peddle and give you more top speed (my bike tops out at 36kmph), 29ers are good for long rides.

Its great bike, rode about 2000kms so far. I usually ride 15-20kms every alternate day and longish ride on weekend. Longest I have done so far is 70kms, need to work towards century though. Get it serviced every 2 months and the bike should stay with for you for a long time.

My only grouse is about the Kenda Kadre tyres that came with the bike, these things are good on rocks and broken roads etc, however they get punctured easily if there is any metal part on the road. I put Slime puncture resistant liner between the tyre and the tube and didn't have a puncture after that.

Whatever bike you buy do a good fitting, I found this 2 page guide very helpful (www.bikefit.com/documents/GoniometerInstructions.pdf )

On a side note: On the day when I was buying Cannondale, a Giant cycles rep was visiting the same store. He made small conversation and commented "You cannot go wrong with a Cannondale"- I guess they tell that same for every brand
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 11:11   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome! Just what I was looking for.

There are a couple of biking trails around where I live, which include both paved as well as packed dirt paths....
This is my second year biking and I love it. We have trails here but I go on country roads early in the morning. I've a Giant Defy 1 with Shimano 105 derailleur. My wife has a specialized Dolce elite, build quality of Specialized is pretty good.
If you want to invest in a good bike then rent a road bike and hybrid bike for couple of weekends to see how you feel. Most of the bike stores rent bikes on hourly basis. Ask the bike store rep to size you up and suggest the right bike for you. Ask for return policy and satisfaction guarantee. I had 30 days to return the bike or choose another model if I don't feel right about the size or comfort.

Accessories bought (Never planned all of these, got carried away by salesman).
Speedometer wireless: $60
Zero Speedplay pedals: $130
Helmet: $110
Bike shoes (Lock in pedals): $130
Bike Shorts 2 pairs: $120
Pearl Izumi Jerseys 2: $130
Gloves: $30
Bottle Holders with water bottles 2 pairs: $60
Saddle bag large size: $30
Emergency Kit: 2 tubes, tool kit, CO2 cartridges, tire levers, patch kit.
(instead of emergency kit you can call your wife and send the GPS location to pick you up if needed )

After walking out of the store, I did feel that a lot was spent. But it slowly pays off if you are biking on a regular basis. I go 35-40 miles on Saturday morning and 16-20 Miles 3 times on weekdays. Once you get used to it, there's no turning back. You will love it.
My wife's colleague has 5 different bikes. Forget about Rain or shine, he rides to work even in harsh midwest winters every day. He's a big specialized fan and his latest acquisition is Specialized S-WORKS VENGE VIAS DI2. Its a $12,500 bike.

Good luck!
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 15:56   #2736
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
I went for 26 inch, 29ers are good for long rides.
Its great bike, rode about 2000kms so far.
My only grouse is about the Kenda Kadre tyres they get punctured easily if there is any metal part on the road.
Whatever bike you buy do a good fitting, I found this 2 page guide[/url] )
I guess they tell that same for every brand
I think will check out 27.5" this time, its the new fad in the mkt. Cannons aren't offering 27.5" I guess, saw Fujis & Lappiers in this size.

Oops the tyres part is sad, I've actually been through some rough patch with the tyres. Going over metal should not result in a puncture in an otherwise ok tyre.

Wow that guide is top notch, thanks.

Yea that's what I keep on hearing everywhere around & another line "the geometry should match you". While I agree with the later statement also but overall bike has to be a good machine.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 13:18   #2737
BHPian

Second puncture.

Sunday, I was planning for a long ride however it was cut short by rain. At the end of my ride I usually ride at a very slow pace for cool down. When I was about to park my bike, heard whooshing sound from rear Tyre. And it was a puncture.

The typical process of fixing a puncture is;
  • remove the tube from the tyre (without removing the entire tyre)
  • fill air
  • dip the tube into tub of water to identify the puncture spot
  • once you have identified the puncture, apply the solution and puncture patch
  • refill air and test that it has fixed
  • Then insert the tube back inside the tyre

Simple huh.

Now my question to all fellow cyclist.
Over a short/long ride, do you carry the puncture kit (solution, puncture patch, air pump)?

How to identify the puncture when there is not enough water available? and what about the tub/vessel?

P.S. First puncture happened with me almost in similar manner on front tyre. I just removed the front tyre (using the quick release)and took it to nearest bike shop
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 13:22   #2738
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Over a short/long ride, do you carry the puncture kit (solution, puncture patch, air pump)?

How to identify the puncture when there is not enough water available? and what about the tub/vessel?

I carry a spare tube and a small pump.
No need to check anything as I simply swap the tube.

Thankfully never needed to as I have been lucky so far.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 15:20   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. First puncture happened with me almost in similar manner on front tyre. I just removed the front tyre (using the quick release)and took it to nearest bike shop
I carry a spare tube, tyre removing tool and a pump. As a secondary backup (when the spare tube as well gets a puncture), I also carry a puncture kit with patches and rubber solution.

It's easy to identify the puncture location without water or a tub. Pump air and bring the tube near your face. You can feel the escaping air and locate the position.

PS: When you go on long rides, and expect to be far away from repair shops, make sure that the pump is fastened to the holder with a velcro strap or a string. I learnt this the hard way. During a 200k brevet, I had a puncture. I changed the tube with the spared I was carrying and then to my horror, realized the pump had fallen off somewhere. There I was, sitting on the divider on a 4 lane highway not knowing what to do. Fortunately, another rider who happened to pass by lent me his pump and I completed the event.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 15:44   #2740
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Thankfully never needed to as I have been lucky so far.
You need to identify the flat, and look on the tyre for the cause. Otherwise, your swapped tube will be flat again.
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 16:08   #2741
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
You need to identify the flat, and look on the tyre for the cause. Otherwise, your swapped tube will be flat again.
Of course. But I don't need water for this.
Old 10th August 2015, 16:45   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Good suggestion. Very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I carry a spare tube, tyre removing tool and a pump. As a secondary backup (when the spare tube as well gets a puncture), I also carry a puncture kit with patches and rubber solution.

It's easy to identify the puncture location without water or a tub. Pump air and bring the tube near your face. You can feel the escaping air and locate the position.

PS: When you go on long rides, and expect to be far away from repair shops, make sure that the pump is fastened to the holder with a velcro strap or a string.
I will try this week to fix the puncture without water. Bending really down to feel the air on your face will look funny though

Which is the best place on bike to attach pump? Velcro suggestion is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Point noted. The tyre needs to be inspected as well.
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 17:24   #2743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to the shop a couple of days back and it seems a Specialized Sirrus XL would fit my body geometry well. The other bike I am considering is Cannondale Quick 4.

So, any opinions on Cannondale Quick 4 vs Specialized Sirrus Sport? I'll be riding on mostly paved bike paths or packed dirt paths. No plans to venture off course yet.
So which one did you choose? If you haven't, I'd say between those two, Cannondale anyday. But what is more important is what bike suits you - do a test ride (the longer the better) and then choose. Online reviews and information will only get you till a stage. Trying it out is the most important part.

For the riding you are looking at, road bikes are not necessary - atleast for now. And you can reach good speeds using these bikes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post

On a side note: On the day when I was buying Cannondale, a Giant cycles rep was visiting the same store. He made small conversation and commented "You cannot go wrong with a Cannondale"- I guess they tell that same for every brand
Nopes, not for all. Cannondale is a reputed (US) brand - that gets that importance from other US brands.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th August 2015 at 17:27.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 17:46   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will try this week to fix the puncture without water. Bending really down to feel the air on your face will look funny though
I always remove the wheel, and take the tube out completely to fix the puncture. That is more convenient than trying to fix it without removing the wheels.

Quote:
Which is the best place on bike to attach pump? Velcro suggestion is very important.
The Bicycles thread-dsc01620.jpg

I have fixed the pump on the top tube. If you carry only one bottle, you can fix the pump on the seat tube. Usually, the pump holders have the same mounting hole spacing as of bottle cages. I have seen some people fixing it to the fork as well, but I do not prefer this as
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 22:59   #2745
Team-BHP Support

I picked up a new saddle bag from http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/acce...-x2/p-M8248118

Its so easy to mount on the bike and is very useful especially when you have a laptop.

The Bicycles thread-img_20150811_172823_hdr_1439314152098.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 11th August 2015 at 23:01.