Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th September 2015, 16:26   #2806
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
They are getting worse it seems.
really sorry to hear this. Hope nothing happened to your Bro. This is the fourth incident am hearing with Hercules in two months. Was talking to the proprietor of "gopalakrishna cycles" and he mentioned two cases where the V frame broke while the cyclist was riding. Its pretty dangerous and scary. Infact, after complaining to Hercules management, no action has been taken. he was telling me that he has stopped sourcing Hercules cycles.
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 21:36   #2807
BHPian

Arrow Re: The Bicycles thread

I got this one a month before. It's Trek Emonda S5 and all carbon fiber body, Shimano 105 , 11 speed. Max i've done is 72 miles and i've a century ride coming up in 1st week of oct.

I've not yet gone for clip pedal and shoe. Still doing it with running shoe.
Attached Images

akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 02:50   #2808
BHPian

Got myself a bicycle, or a bike as it is called here in the US, after 8 years! Its a used Fuji Nevada 5.0 2011 model. Not as fancy as what others have on our forum. But my first geared bike. Looks very good in white. Loving it very much.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 03:01   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
My bike, a newbie to cycling.
Attachment 1293473
Ah, its been a year since i got my cycle. Never ever thought I will be clocking this much kms.

Distance covered : 3265 Kms.

I still remember getting winded after few kilometers of cycling during the initial weeks. The best gadget I got for the bike, so far is the cycle computer. The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.

Do you guys do the same, like me?

I learned a lot of stuff from you guys, always there to answer my queries. Mail4ajo, Graaja, Ninjatalli, Nareshov, Ebonho .

I almost bought a roadie this summer but postponed to next year. Here in Sweden, using roadie is seasonal, during winter you cannot use them. Last year, during winter there were really few people on bike on the roads. Many a time it will be just us(me and my friend) on the road.

Its been a steep learning curve to learn, how to ride on snow. Encountered black ice for the first time, now at least know how to avoid them. The trick is to pedal at constant cadence, no sudden increase in cadence. I learned this trick from my fellow swedes. One day, I was struggling to get traction on icy surface and got down from bike and started pushing it. Only to be overtaken by a swede(60 plus) pedalling like there is no ice. Mind you, he is on a bike with 3 gears maximum. Then I knew my problem, I was on a lower gear and because of that my rear tyre kept losing traction.

Anyway, this time I planning to get winter tyres. The only problem is my bike got 27.5 inch tyres, which is an odd size and the shops don't stock this tyre size, normally.

Cheers and keep on clocking those bicycle miles. .

Wish list : Roadie, power meter, GPS enabled cycle computer.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 07:24   #2810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, its been a year since i got my cycle. Never ever thought I will be clocking this much kms.

That is awesome mileage. Keep them coming

Quote:
The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.

Do you guys do the same, like me?
I used to be like that. Though I achieved some goals like 27kph speed over 40km, 100km in 3hrs 45mins etc, I found this was not sustainable as most of these rides involved me spending most of the time in Z3 and Z4 heart zones, whereas my fellow riders used to do the same or better in Z2 and Z3. Then I learnt from a few experts this is not the way to improve your performance. Performance improvement is not just doing something for one ride, but becoming capable of sustaining this peformance. This can happen only by following proper training plans and patience. There are lots of 6 weeks or 8 weeks training plans available on the internet. Choose one of these and stick to the plan (without worrying about average speed etc). Then after completing the plan, you will definitely see an improvement.

Quote:
I learned a lot of stuff from you guys, always there to answer my queries. Mail4ajo, Graaja, Ninjatalli, Nareshov, Ebonho .
Feels good to know that I was of some help
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 07:42   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is awesome mileage. Keep them coming
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I used to be like that. Though I achieved some goals like 27kph speed over 40km, 100km in 3hrs 45mins etc, I found this was not sustainable as most of these rides involved me spending most of the time in Z3 and Z4 heart zones, whereas my fellow riders used to do the same or better in Z2 and Z3. Then I learnt from a few experts this is not the way to improve your performance. Performance improvement is not just doing something for one ride, but becoming capable of sustaining this peformance. This can happen only by following proper training plans and patience. There are lots of 6 weeks or 8 weeks training plans available on the internet. Choose one of these and stick to the plan (without worrying about average speed etc). Then after completing the plan, you will definitely see an improvement.
Feels good to know that I was of some help
Done, got an 8 week plan to century ride from Garmin, will try follow that.
Old 28th September 2015, 13:06   #2812
BHPian

After much deliberation, got a 6 speed, dual shox Hercules Rodea UX2on 26th September. covered around 100kms till now and its going good. Nice ride quality, good brakes.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:31   #2813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
After much deliberation, got a 6 speed, dual shox Hercules Rodea UX2on 26th September. covered around 100kms till now and its going good. Nice ride quality, good brakes.
Please share more of your thought process.

Help us understand your reasoning behind the dual shockers.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 16:24   #2814
BHPian

Mod Note: reformatted your post to remove font and color tags. Please don't copy-paste from an external text editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please share more of your thought process.

Help us understand your reasoning behind the dual shockers.
Sure. it was pretty simple and hence did not detail it, sorry about that.

* My son wanted to "upgrade" to a gear cycle.
* Felt it was good to invest in a durable one, as it helps me do my local shopping as well
The process:
* My firm has a bicycling group. They cycle from coimbatore to Bangalore and other places. Pretty avid bikers i must say. As i was not an expert on bicycles, went by their guidelines.
This is what they had to say
  • For 5 ft, he can take the 26” regular bike than the kids bike.
    Hercules rodeo is famous among school kids. That is good one too.
  • Rockrider 5.2 is also a solid starting bike. Go for dual shox as for people >50Kgs, its good on the back. Especially if driving on potholes or small speed breakers.
  • In my opinion, he does not need a geared bike at this stage, but he won’t settle
  • Maintenance is more
  • Need of gear change in flat is rare.
  • Less weight and hassle free.

In Hercules Rodeo - there are many models. Did not like dynamite. Based on above feedback on hardliner chose to stay away from it. As for others, test drove them (both me and son). We liked the UX2 with its super easy seat adjustment. Got a bell, air pump, reflectors and chain grease as freebies!
Total cost 9500/-. Meena cycle mart (Saibaba Colony).

I rode all the way back from the shop to home in the bicycle. Had to climb 2 flyovers, few stretches were dug up and the rest was smooth road. Personal experience was very good.
Pros:
Driving position is highly adjustable (handle bar / seat height)
Gear systems are not complicated.
Gear change sits well on the spockets
Braking is good (not excellent). but then the speeds are also not high.
Looks pretty neat (shall post a pic soon)

Cons:
the seat is too small for my backside. would personally prefer atleast 4 more inches in breadth
Pedals seem to be of average quality plastic

Last edited by noopster : 28th September 2015 at 17:10.
Old 29th September 2015, 02:48   #2815
BHPian

Drafting at 124Kmph .

The fastest I have ridden so far is 44Kmph on flat road. and 50ish Kmph with the help of gravity.
Old 30th September 2015, 21:32   #2816
BHPian

I have been riding Merida Speeder 100 since the beginning of 2015.

The Bicycles thread-img_06271.jpg

I use it to commute to office 2 times a week.

My commute is 9 km one way. By car, it takes 20 min in the morning (before 830 AM) and anywhere from 25 mins to 40 on good days in the evenings (Leaving at 530-6pm).

On my bicycle takes me 27-30 mins in the morning and 30-35 mins in the evening. My evening commutes are way faster than car.

The worst time on my bicycle (35 mins) is faster than the worst time in a car (90 mins) by a big margin.
The best time by car is only 10 mins less than the best time on my bicycle.

With growing traffic, it just makes a lot of sense to use the bicycle for commutes.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 13:41   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
Drafting at 124Kmph .

The fastest I have ridden so far is 44Kmph on flat road. and 50ish Kmph with the help of gravity.
Mine is 63 kmph, while coming down from Yeoor Hills, scary ride!
Attached Images

sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 21:59   #2818
BHPian

Quote:

I still remember getting winded after few kilometers of cycling during the initial weeks. The best gadget I got for the bike, so far is the cycle computer. The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.
Hey I recently picked up a GT Avenger that matches your bike in specs almost completely. How have the Promax brakes been in the last year? Any leaks etc? My previous bike (stolen ) had mechanical discs so this is my first time riding with hydraulic brakes.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 22:12   #2819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Hey I recently picked up a GT Avenger that matches your bike in specs almost completely. How have the Promax brakes been in the last year? Any leaks etc? My previous bike (stolen ) had mechanical discs so this is my first time riding with hydraulic brakes.
Nope, no leaks so far. Its going well. The pads also haven't worn off yet. The brake feel is better compared to a cable operated one.
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:31   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks! I shifted my Firefox Trek to new place. While assembling the bike again the cycle wala screwed the pedal shaft on right side in reverse grooves resulting in damage to pedal and the shaft. After the shaft was replaced, the gear shifting has become a problem. The bike rides only on front gear 2 and it does not engage front gear 1 & 3.

I would like to solve this problem through DIY route. Any help on the setting and adjustments of the gear?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote