Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th October 2015, 20:31   #2851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSree View Post
1. Do cleats really enhance my pedalling ?

2. Should I downshift to keep my cadence high, especially when the going gets tough?

Thanks.
Yes and Yes.
For cleats, u will need a bit of learning curve. Every time you stop you need to unlock to avoid a free fall at 0 speed. It looks hilarious but it can be very painful. Practice practice and practice, your muscle memory will do it automatically.
I commute on bicycle, don't use cleats, too much of a hassle to unlock at every slow down/traffic light

On higher cadence, your knees will thank you for it! It's okay to press on at lower cadence in high gear say climbing up a small flyover etc. But knees will hurt if you do it for a long time.
To build muscles, go for higher gear lower cadence.
For building stamina, for higher cadence, lower gear.
I Both cases, try to keep the max speed possible.
freedom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 03:46   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Also, you do NOT need a custom built bicycle to change the saddle height, so that your feet do not touch the ground when on the saddle.

If your feet touch the ground when on the saddle, your saddle is too low. It's as simple as that, and you can ask any cyclist and he will tell you the same.

]

I have been wrong many, many times, you should try it too some time. It is very enlightening.
The reason for a custom built bicycle is quite a bit more then just your feet touching the ground. In fact when you design a custom bicycle that is usually not relevant at all. All the other parameters are and your feet end up compared to the ground in whatever fashion it so happens to be.

I think its good for the newbies, to use your term, have a feeling that there is more to cycle fitting then an average rule about where your feet need to be compared to the ground. Feeling comfortable and safe on a bicycle is, I believe, a very big thing, no matter what any fitting rule might.

Happy cycling!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 04:47   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It really depends. If you are really into speed racing you can't really do without. If your biking involves a lot of stopping they are a huge pain.

Not sure if you can get them here in India but I like the open toe clips. They can easily be bolted onto existing pedals.Easy stop and go and they still keep your feet or more precisely the ball of your feet in the correct position above the spindle and allow for less slippage.

You can't really compare them to real traditional ones, but I have been riding with them for several decades now and they do me just fine

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...lips-10-35398/
Old 19th October 2015, 08:23   #2854
BHPian

Thanks Freedom and Jeroen for clarifying. :thumbup:
VintageSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 15:41   #2855
BANNED

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have been wrong many, many times, you should try it too some time. It is very enlightening.
The reason for a custom built bicycle is quite a bit more then just your feet touching the ground. In fact when you design a custom bicycle that is usually not relevant at all. All the other parameters are and your feet end up compared to the ground in whatever fashion it so happens to be.

Jeroen
Duh, you still don't get it. Saddle height is only one part of a bike fit. It's a very important part, and it certainly does not need a custom built frame to achieve.

Anyway, out of here.

Being able to reach the ground when seated on the saddle is so wrong that I' surprised to hear it from a 'custom bike builder].
kumar2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 19:02   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Duh, you still don't get it. Saddle height is only one part of a bike fit. It's a very important part, and it certainly does not need a custom built frame to achieve.

Anyway, out of here.

Being able to reach the ground when seated on the saddle is so wrong that I' surprised to hear it from a 'custom bike builder].

If you built a bike, fee to the ground is more or less a result from al the other measurements. When you sit on a standard frame by adjusting the saddle height the most important thing is to get you legs in relation to the peddles correct. That, to your point, might help prevent injury, to my point, if you really bike a lot.

Whatever that saddle position is gets you a certain feet to ground position. Some might want to adjust it a bit. Comfort and feeling safe is as far as Im concerned a big thing too. With smaller wheels, with everything else the same, your feet ground distance would get less too.

I have never said you need a custom built perse. I suggested if you really bike a lot you might want to consider it.

Maybe you should consider frame building too. It looks as if you might pick up a few new insights over the average rule of thumb theories.

Happy cycling!
btw! Im currently in Beijing and they have even more bicycles here then in the Netherlands. Dont see to many people worrying about bike feet. Maybe they all have sore knees, who knows.

Jeroen
Old 19th October 2015, 19:49   #2857
BHPian

I have started cycling really early in the morning on Sundays - like 5am or so. This way I can do a 50kms-60kms spin and come back home by 8am.

Now I need a headlight for the cycle as the sun doesn't come up by 6:30am. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want something that lets me see the distance such that I can do 25kmph confidently. I have seen the "NiteRider", and that costs around 5k. I am looking for something cheaper - any other suggestions?

Thanks!
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 20:19   #2858
BANNED

Quote:
With smaller wheels, with everything else the same, your feet ground distance would get less too.

Jeroen
Nope....................

Your saddle height is solely based on your inseam length, nothing else. Wheels do not come into play.

Last edited by kumar2007 : 19th October 2015 at 20:26.
Old 19th October 2015, 20:54   #2859

Hey Guys! Had been mulling over buying a bicycle for the last 5-6 months, followed this thread very diligently.Finally took the plunge day before n bought the trail 6 from track n trail koregaon park pune. Want to thank all in this thread for indirectly helping me find my 'blackbird'. and also thanks to Mr Arun and his staff for their help. Att some snaps of the beauty. Will post better snaps of rides later on! Happy Cycling!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20151015_204143.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20151015_204229.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20151019_063824.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20151019_063833.jpg  

anshuman965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 05:38   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope....................

Your saddle height is solely based on your inseam length, nothing else. Wheels do not come into play.

Well thats ok, we just have to differ how math and physics work.
Happy cycling

Keep those feet of the ground.

Jeroen
Old 20th October 2015, 10:39   #2861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope....................

Agree 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I have started cycling really early in the morning on Sundays - like 5am or so. This way I can do a 50kms-60kms spin and come back home by 8am.

Now I need a headlight for the cycle as the sun doesn't come up by 6:30am. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want something that lets me see the distance such that I can do 25kmph confidently. I have seen the "NiteRider", and that costs around 5k. I am looking for something cheaper - any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Try something like http://www.ebay.in/itm/Combo-UltraFi...-/262098897366 - no personal experience but what you need are such lights only.

Quote:
Happy cycling

Jeroen
Well, most big bike shops / instruction videos agree with kumar's math unfortunately. Here's Performance bicycle:

Quote:
With smaller wheels, with everything else the same, your feet ground distance would get less too.
Wrong again. You're confusing two fundamental things here Sir.
a. For kids cycles yes - smaller wheels (20") mean a cycle for smaller children with a necessarily smaller frame.
b. For adult bicycles - whether it is 700c roadie tyres or 26" / 27.5" / 29" wheels - the feet-ground distance does not change (in line with the principles in the video).

Here is a contrarian example which shows that you can have wheels as small as you want and still have the same feet-ground distance.
Name:  220pxBromptonriderinmotionrepaired.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  21.0 KB
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 16:46   #2862
BANNED

Quote:
Happy cycling

Jeroen
In all seriousness, I'd be interested in 'your' math and physics. Could you explain how exactly a smaller wheel will change the saddle height?

Phamilyman, thank goodness someone here understands the basics about a bicycle :-)

Last edited by kumar2007 : 20th October 2015 at 17:12.
Old 20th October 2015, 17:37   #2863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman965 View Post
Hey Guys! Had been mulling over buying a bicycle for the last 5-6 months, followed this thread very diligently.Finally took the plunge day before n bought the trail 6 from track n trail koregaon park pune. Want to thank all in this thread for indirectly helping me find my 'blackbird'. and also thanks to Mr Arun and his staff for their help. Att some snaps of the beauty. Will post better snaps of rides later on! Happy Cycling!
Congratulations Anshuman! The Bike looks fabulous.:thumbup:

Enjoy your rides!
Old 20th October 2015, 18:13   #2864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noob alert: sorry if I sound naive, but in my limited experience of cycling, I'm bugged with the following doubts. Can someone please help?

I ride a road bike and intend to put it to serious usage. (like 50km commute, the purpose which I had in mind when I picked a roadie.) I began with 10 km rides on alternate days to 25 km rides on alternate days now.

Yes they do, for me - I got 10% faster since I'm otherwise a coasting-addicted lazy bum. But YMMV.
If you want to study research- http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/qu...-pedal-systems is overwhelming info that just says "not really". Here is one more example: http://www.radlabor.de/fileadmin/PDF...aefte_2008.pdf

Quote:
2. Should I downshift to keep my cadence high, especially when the going gets tough?

Thanks.
Always! Too much pressure can lead to chain slipping or breaking or unnecessary wear. more importantly it kills your knees - a commonly accepted cadence is anywhere between 80-100.

Quote:
When you are working at a faster cadence, your knees are working less because the momentum takes some of the pressure off your knees. A good cadence for your knees is between 80-100 rpm. It is important for the condition of your knees that you keep this quicker cadence even if you are going uphill.
via http://www.thekneepainguru.com/cycli...out-knee-pain/
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 21:38   #2865
BHPian

Thanks phamilyman.

I think I can use the cleats just for the benefit of tying my feet to the pedals so at higher cadence, my feet do not fall / slip all over the place....

For the first time today, I crossed 40 kmph on level road which I earlier used to achieve with the help of gravity. This despite on lower gear but higher cadence of 70 - 80.