Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd November 2015, 09:49   #2911
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I think you are right. Will take a few test rides before taking the plunge. thanks a lot.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:32   #2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I think you are right. Will take a few test rides before taking the plunge. thanks a lot.
Hey SX4LOVER,

If you are considering the Scott then I would suggest that you visit a local dealer as they have different 2016 models which have good components for the price. You can try them out and see which meets your requirements the most.
They have 26 inch, 27.5 and 29 inch wheel sizes in the new 2016 lineup for the Aspect model.
Another brand which can be considered is Merida. A lot of folks who I know own a Merida(MTB/Hybrid/Roadie) and are pretty satisfied.
Just for your information, the one that I have got has got s front suspension lock-out mechanism.

Happy and safe cycling!
paddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:00   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
Hey SX4LOVER,

If you are considering the Scott then I would suggest that you visit a local dealer as they have different 2016 models which have good components for the price. You can try them out and see which meets your requirements the most.
They have 26 inch, 27.5 and 29 inch wheel sizes in the new 2016 lineup for the Aspect model.
Another brand which can be considered is Merida. A lot of folks who I know own a Merida(MTB/Hybrid/Roadie) and are pretty satisfied.
Just for your information, the one that I have got has got s front suspension lock-out mechanism.

Happy and safe cycling!

OK..now this is a bouncer. I am new so i have no idea what a suspension lock out is. Will check it online. Thanks a lot guys. Plan to go to the local scott dealer at coimbatore as i am on leave right now. Will take an informed decision.

Last edited by SX4LOVER : 23rd November 2015 at 22:02. Reason: spelling errors.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 15:08   #2914
BHPian

Guys I have 'pre-load' front shock adjustment on my Specialized Hardrock. Doesn't make a difference which way its turned, max or min. Am I missing something here?
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 15:22   #2915
BHPian

Hi guys,

Today I've taken out my bike to commute to the office for the first time.

48.4 km, 2 hr 50 min.

It has been a mixed feeling of pain and joy. I know I could have done better, but its my first long run.

Wanted to share with you all guys.

One query though. I've put on the padded shorts and the elastic bands on the thighs are very tight. During my short runs at home ranging 15-20 km, there wasn't much of a problem. But today, my thighs were burning like on fire at the end of the trip. I was so afraid of a permanent injury to my muscles. My guess is the tight elastic bands are the guilty party here. What should I do about it?

Thanks for inspiring me. Keep rocking, er..riding.
VintageSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 16:04   #2916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
OK..now this is a bouncer. I am new so i have no idea what a suspension lock out is. Will check it online. Thanks a lot guys. Plan to go to the local scott dealer at coimbatore as i am on leave right now. Will take an informed decision.
Suspension lock out is a knob on the suspension which you can turn to lock out the suspension. When locked out, the suspension becomes rigid with no spring action.

Your suspension can absorb some of the energy you put on your pedals, thus resulting in a slower ride for the same power exerted. So, locking the suspension can result in a faster ride on smooth roads. When you go off-roading, or ride on very rough roads, you can release the lock, so that the suspensions gets into action and makes the ride less rough.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSree View Post
Hi guys,

Today I've taken out my bike to commute to the office for the first time.

48.4 km, 2 hr 50 min.

It has been a mixed feeling of pain and joy. I know I could have done better, but its my first long run.

Wanted to share with you all guys.

One query though. I've put on the padded shorts and the elastic bands on the thighs are very tight. During my short runs at home ranging 15-20 km, there wasn't much of a problem. But today, my thighs were burning like on fire at the end of the trip. I was so afraid of a permanent injury to my muscles. My guess is the tight elastic bands are the guilty party here. What should I do about it?

Thanks for inspiring me. Keep rocking, er..riding.
That is a good average for a first ride. Keep riding, and you will soon be riding above 20kph.

Regarding the shorts, if the elastic is too tight, that is not good as well. A riding short should be tight enough that you feel it hug your body. Too tight could block blood flow and may lead to injuries. My suggestion, you should try the next size. Remember, it shouldn't be loose nor should it be too tight. It should hug your body.

Keep the miles coming
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 20:09   #2917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a good average for a first ride. Keep riding, and you will soon be riding above 20kph.

Regarding the shorts, if the elastic is too tight, that is not good as well. A riding short should be tight enough that you feel it hug your body. Too tight could block blood flow and may lead to injuries. My suggestion, you should try the next size. Remember, it shouldn't be loose nor should it be too tight. It should hug your body.

Keep the miles coming
Thanks for the remarks. (I searched for a thanks button but couldn't find any).

Regarding the average, I could finish the first half in one hour.

Its in the second half the trouble started.
VintageSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:55   #2918
Team-BHP Support

As I rode my bike to office and crossed the ORR toll gate, I could not stop and wonder.

The Bicycles thread-ccc.jpg

Why do I waste such lovely weather and sit inside a tin box when the sky can envelop me.

Ride on!
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:23   #2919
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I did not know that TBHP had a cycling thread as well. Have been biking (read cycling) to work for 3+ years now. The distance is not much - about 12 kms both ways - but it sure beats crawling in a car anyday!

Ride on...
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:53   #2920
BHPian

My companion of five years, and not a single breakdown or area of concern, the Specialized Hardrock.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 12:26   #2921
BHPian

Hi everybody,

Am looking for a bike for myself. I will be starting riding after a good 8-10 years and the purpose is mostly to exercise a bit. The roads near my place are not perfect and the other issue is the lack of any proper dealers for cycles in my city so would want a reliable machine. My budget is around 20k. I'm 5'10 and weigh 90kgs. What cycle would you one suggest as per my needs.
I'v looked at firefox and suncross and also looked at the Indian brands like Hero Octane, Atlas ultimate, the BSA roadeo A500 etc but i'm highly confused now. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
My requirements are smart looks, riding comfort, durability and disc brakes.
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 14:21   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, what would you suggest for someone who has a budget of not more than 5-8k, but needs a geared bike.
My office is hardly 3 kms one way and I intend to cycle thrice a week to office (need to use the RE bullet at least 2 days in a week, else it will need a restoration later!)

I am also open to buying a used cycle but do not know what to look for and which brands.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 17:10   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Hi everybody,

Am looking for a bike for myself. I will be starting riding after a good 8-10 years and the purpose is mostly to exercise a bit. The roads near my place are not perfect and the other issue is the lack of any proper dealers for cycles in my city so would want a reliable machine. My budget is around 20k. I'm 5'10 and weigh 90kgs. What cycle would you one suggest as per my needs.
I'v looked at firefox and suncross and also looked at the Indian brands like Hero Octane, Atlas ultimate, the BSA roadeo A500 etc but i'm highly confused now. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
My requirements are smart looks, riding comfort, durability and disc brakes.
Did a bit of research and everybody is of the opinion that a hybrid is the way to go. So i'v finally finalised a firefox road runner pro-D. Getting it shipped with a 19.5 inch frame.
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 18:04   #2924
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Gentlemen, what would you suggest for someone who has a budget of not more than 5-8k, but needs a geared bike.
My office is hardly 3 kms one way and I intend to cycle thrice a week to office (need to use the RE bullet at least 2 days in a week, else it will need a restoration later!)

I am also open to buying a used cycle but do not know what to look for and which brands.
Since you will be using the bike only to commute to office, thrice a week, any specific reason for a geared bike? Is the terrain hilly?

If its a flat terrain, for 3 kms you don't need a geared bike and in that case I can suggest a decathlon MyBike which retails at 8K.

Usually bicycles that are well maintained doesn't depreciate much, so not sure if you can find a used well maintained geared bike in your budget.

Edit - Yes 'phamilyman', thanks for correcting, so there you have a geared one in your budget

Last edited by Lij : 9th December 2015 at 18:13.
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 18:09   #2925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Since you will be using the bike only to commute to office, thrice a week, any specific reason for a geared bike? Is the terrain hilly?

If its a flat terrain, for 3 kms you don't need a geared bike and in that case I can suggest a decathlon MyBike which retails at 8K.

Usually bicycles that are well maintained doesn't depreciate much, so not sure if you can find a used well maintained geared bike in your budget.
MyBike is 4499 in Decathlon stores and its the 7-speed mybike which is at 7-8k online AFAIK.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote