Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th December 2015, 20:12   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
MyBike is 4499 in Decathlon stores and its the 7-speed mybike which is at 7-8k online AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Since you will be using the bike only to commute to office, thrice a week, any specific reason for a geared bike? Is the terrain hilly?

If its a flat terrain, for 3 kms you don't need a geared bike and in that case I can suggest a decathlon MyBike which retails at 8K.

Edit - Yes 'phamilyman', thanks for correcting, so there you have a geared one in your budget
Thank you both for your inputs. There is a store at nearby mall dealing in BTwin bikes. Will check it out this week.

Re: why geared, well the terrain isn't exactly a flat road. Has a lot of ups and downs. Plus, it would be wiser to buy a geared one rather than buying the ungeared and missing the gears later.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 11:33   #2927
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Gentlemen, what would you suggest for someone who has a budget of not more than 5-8k, but needs a geared bike.
My office is hardly 3 kms one way and I intend to cycle thrice a week to office (need to use the RE bullet at least 2 days in a week, else it will need a restoration later!)

I am also open to buying a used cycle but do not know what to look for and which brands.
I recently started cycling. My Daily commute is 12 km (4 rides of 3 Km). I was just not comfortable using a two wheeler or four wheeler for a quite few days and then I felt need to buy a Bicycle for me. I went straightaway to De Cathelon and Bought Mybike 7s for around 10 k fully loaded with accessories. And I am so happy with this bike. With each ride it brings smile on my face. With your budget I can strongly recommend you BTwin My Bike 7s as a beginner!
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 13:24   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both for your inputs. There is a store at nearby mall dealing in BTwin bikes. Will check it out this week.

Re: why geared, well the terrain isn't exactly a flat road. Has a lot of ups and downs. Plus, it would be wiser to buy a geared one rather than buying the ungeared and missing the gears later.
The gears you will get for that kind of money will be pretty much useless. It's better to go for an un-geared one nw and upgrade later.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 15:40   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
The gears you will get for that kind of money will be pretty much useless. It's better to go for an un-geared one nw and upgrade later.
Vinit - I second ntomer, the low end geared bikes are terrible, and you're much better off with a normal single speed bike, they're definitely more efficient, and require less effort in comparision with the cheap geared bikes. Suggest you borrow a bike from a friend and ride over your usual route to help you decide. Even a BSA SLR will be a breeze to ride as compared to one of the cheap geared bikes.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 16:37   #2930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
The gears you will get for that kind of money will be pretty much useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Vinit - I second ntomer, the low end geared bikes are terrible,
Ntomer & Lalvaz, can you pls elaborate on this point - why are the less expensive geared bikes not good ? Is it the build / working / or is it the efficiency gained out of the gears on such bikes ?

Which other bikes to avoid ?

Any idea how's the Decathlon Trail 7 x 3 ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 17:11   #2931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ntomer & Lalvaz, can you pls elaborate on this point - why are the less expensive geared bikes not good ? Is it the build / working / or is it the efficiency gained out of the gears on such bikes ?

I dont think the 7S is that crappy as Indian geared cycles are wont to be. Decathlon ensures a minimum quality even if that minimum is sometimes too low by my personal standard. Of course, ideal would be to buy a 20-30k MRP bike. Why?

- Better gear groupset is often slightly lighter
- Shifts slightly better and definitely more reliable under load (read climbing)
- Possibly more durable
- Shifts are more silent, and smooth
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 17:15   #2932
BHPian

Quote:

Shifting will be notchy. Drive-train won't be smooth.

Decathlon Trail? You mean Btwin RockRider series?

Last edited by ntomer : 11th December 2015 at 17:17.
Old 11th December 2015, 17:17   #2933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The gear shifting is far from smooth, and more often than not, the cheaper geared bikes are MTB's or in some cases hybrids. Perhaps the thicker tyres also result in more rolling resistance and hence I've always had a tougher time pedalling on those bikes as compared to the regular SLR's.

Bikes I've personally riden and had these problems on are Hero, Schnell, & Raleigh.

I've had a much better ride on the Treks & Montra's but they're obviously more expensive.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 17:54   #2934
Senior - BHPian

So now I have to decide to either go for the BTwin non geared one retailing around 5-6 or else start directly from 20-30k.

That's an easy choice actually. Because I am not going to raise my budget to 20-30k.

Will check out both the BTwins. The non geared + the Mybike 7s and pick one, mostly the non geared one.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:46   #2935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So now I have to decide to either go for the BTwin non geared one retailing around 5-6 or else start directly from 20-30k.

That's an easy choice actually. Because I am not going to raise my budget to 20-30k.

Will check out both the BTwins. The non geared + the Mybike 7s and pick one, mostly the non geared one.
oh yes, the other thing is that if you spend only 5-6k, you get a much heavier bike (higher rolling resistance due to heavier tires / heavier rims etc). Again - IMHO the mybike 7s isnt that bad compared to Mybike itself.

These bikes are good only for occasional riding till you are sure of your cycling passion. Then please go to the 30k budget! For toodling around, this will do just fine IMHO
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 11:47   #2936
BHPian

Another option you can checkout is the Raleigh my ride 26 http://www.suncrossbikes.com/bike_de...Id=2&Brands=12
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 13:36   #2937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh yes, the other thing is that if you spend only 5-6k, you get a much heavier bike (higher rolling resistance due to heavier tires / heavier rims etc). Again - IMHO the mybike 7s isnt that bad compared to Mybike itself.

These bikes are good only for occasional riding till you are sure of your cycling passion. Then please go to the 30k budget! For toodling around, this will do just fine IMHO
Get slick tyres on the non-geared MyBike and it'd be a pretty decent ride.
Old 12th December 2015, 18:45   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Visited the decathlon store at Wagholi, Pune. Picked up the 7s. Even my wife showed interest in riding so the non geared went out of contention.

Also spotted a bhpian there, wearing the tbhp zippered hoodie. He was on his way out while I was waiting for the bike so did not strike a conversation.
Old 12th December 2015, 19:53   #2939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I was in an identical soup last year and despite visiting Decathalon twice I could not get myself to put the money down on any of the Btwins.
Instead I lapped up one of the first few pieces of 2015 Montra Trance Hybrid. Entry level group set mated with fairly light weight frame and reasonably good build quality for the price point (14K after discount).

The Bicycles thread-dsc_8390-large.jpg
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 19:59   #2940
BHPian

Quote:
Visited the decathlon store at Wagholi, Pune. Picked up the 7s. Even my wife showed interest in riding so the non geared went out of contention.

Also spotted a bhpian there, wearing the tbhp zippered hoodie. He was on his way out while I was waiting for the bike so did not strike a conversation.
Good choice in that budget. I have the btwin 7s for over 2 years now. Although my riding has come down now still use it for 10-20km rides on weekends.

The gears are notchy - yes, but other than that pretty good. I would definitely prefer 7s over the non geared one except in a situation where you know you would upgrade anyway in a couple of months. If that's the case going for a mybike itself is not a good idea as there are several other better bikes which are better.

Happy cycling!!
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote