Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th December 2015, 10:21   #2941
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Even I went to De Cathelon with an intention to buy non geared BTwin cycle as a starter. But the sales guy convinced me to go for My Bike 7s (Geared). I took little time to get convinced as I was not too confident about gear maintenance and service part. I totally left the decision on the sales guy as he was himself experienced cyclist who did Mumbai Pune cycling quite regularly! The gear shifting is good and so far the rides have been hassle free. I only fear chain slippage. It happened only once when I rode it for the first time. But since then its in place. The gears are very useful. Overall I am very happy with my bike 7s. I found it light weight too. And I love the way it looks.

Mistake I made:
I feel one mistake I did while taking the delivery. I went there all alone in the evening when the store was about to get closed. So I took delivery without checking it and trusting them fully. In the morning I noticed the the wheel was not in the center at all. To my Shock it was also having contact with one of the pipes or chasis. Next Day I took the cycle to De Cathelon and got it corrected but still they couldn't bring it in the center exactly. I didn't take the pics I hope you got what I wanted to say. I went through other cycles kept on display there and found that wheels were in center of all except one or two. Moral of the story don't trust them totally. Don't go alone and always take delivery in the morning!
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 23:28   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

Toying with the idea of getting a simple cycle. Plan to use locally - may be 4-5 km max.
Dont want to end up keeping it idle later. Hence looking for a budget model. May be a few gears (not the 21 & the like).
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 10:45   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Toying with the idea of getting a simple cycle. Plan to use locally - may be 4-5 km max.
Dont want to end up keeping it idle later. Hence looking for a budget model. May be a few gears (not the 21 & the like).
Went through exactly same thought process before I bought my bicycle. And to my surprise I have become a regular rider now. Its been not a single day I missed it. And enjoying every moment of my daily commute on my bicycle. In fact when I was toying with the idea of getting it, I just thought to get one very cheap without accessories and I ended up buying one model higher with 7 gears and fully loaded from De Cathelon.

So you can think other way round also, I mean just invest more money than your budget and you will get more options that will make your ride interesting. And further you will be motivated to continue. If you will put less money then chances of not using the cycle are more because you will always have a thought that you haven't made a bigger dent so you can afford to not to use it!
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 11:56   #2944
BHPian

First Mercedes Benz cycle delivered in Calicut. Costs a cool 3.75ll . Got it as a WhatsApp forward.
The Bicycles thread-img_20151217_115406.jpg

P.S. I guess it's for the kid in the background.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 13:07   #2945
BHPian

Thinking about buying a bicycle and starting to ride around the town a bit. With my track record i dont usually stick to things for long, especially exercise equipment.
Do you think a btwin my bike (simple) without gears that costs around 4k from decathlon is ok to try out cycling?
I dont want to spend this kind of money but how's this montra rock 1.1 http://www.amazon.in/Montra-Rock1-1-.../dp/B00NOR3B8O if you get it for around 15k?
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 00:38   #2946
BHPian

Bought myself a bicycle finally. It wasn't a Firefox rather went ahead and bought a Raleigh terrain 30 mountain bike instead due to easier availability this side. Planning on starting to use it soon as the bike came via courier and unfortunately the front quick release screw was missing from the courier. I guess suncrossbikes ain't very good with their shipment. The other grouse of course is that they shipped me a red and white while I'd ordered a black and red. Looks good nonetheless but with a week been taken for the courier to reach me in the first place throws getting a replacement out of the question. The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450897618.574288.jpgThe Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450897665.456791.jpg
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 07:27   #2947
Distinguished - BHPian

How is Deathlon's servicing ? Or can the decathlon geared bikes be serviced outside ?
Old 24th December 2015, 07:59   #2948
BHPian

@condor, Decathlon servicing is good.
However the geared bikes can be serviced outside too since they're all fitted with Shimano gears.
The other good thing about bicycles vis-a-vis automobiles is that the parts that need servicing are pretty common and standardised across makes and models.
Jet-thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 08:16   #2949
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Jet-thrust.

One more question -
Geared cycles often look to have a combination to increase the gears. Like a 7 x 3 setup. Can this be changed to have -let's say - 7 only ?
Old 24th December 2015, 10:47   #2950
BHPian

Well, a 7x3 generally implies that there is a 3 gear dérailleur in the front (at the pedal) and a 7 geared one at the rear wheel.
You do have bicycles that offer gears only at the rear but they are usually a five or three speed set.

Getting a 7x3 setup changed by removing the front dérailleur and installing a single gear doesn't really make sense.
Jet-thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 12:57   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
One more question -
Geared cycles often look to have a combination to increase the gears. Like a 7 x 3 setup. Can this be changed to have -let's say - 7 only ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
Getting a 7x3 setup changed by removing the front dérailleur and installing a single gear doesn't really make sense.
Well, it can be changed. But the simplest solution is not to change the front gear at all. Or another solution could be to get the front derailleur removed. But you might have to take the chain off to do that. After that whatever gear you chose at the time reinstalling the chain, it would stay there.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 14:09   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question -
The Mybike 7s that I bought has 7 gears only. If you want only 7 gears, go for this.

Nevertheless, there are lot of options to upgrade. One can even fit gears to the non-geared bikes and everything is available at decathlon, but the final fit would not be as good as factory made.
If you feel you may need 7x3 but not often, then buy 7x3 and use only the 7 gears in the normal course.

For your usage of 4-5 kms max a day, the 7s should suffice.
I use it for my office commute thrice a week, 3kms one way and those 7 gears are more than enough. In fact, I have only used 5-6-7 till now and never felt the need to go below 5.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 14:21   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Jet-thrust.

One more question -
The simplest option is to not shift the main derailleur at all.

But seriously, why would you want to do that? I hardly use the smaller chain rings but sometimes when one is really tired they help to reduce the effort to be expended.
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 20:58   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Personally, I’m not even remotely interested in doing things well perse. It tends to be boring, because very soon others expectations creep in. I do things I enjoy or find relevant or important, its that simple.

If somebody want to pose with a fancy bicycle, a Hasselblad camera or a Ferrari who am I to judge? It it makes them happy, good for them!

I only have one criteria on what others do: Does it hurt or have a negative effect on others? If it doesn’t, go for it.

I live by one rule only; don’t do to others what you wouldn’t want done to yourself.
As far as "doing things well" goes (whether adjusting a derailleur or setting a new personal record for my ride to town and back, or laying out a smooth fillet weld): I simply don't live for the expectations of other people. This, far from boredom, makes me wonderfully FREE to pursue excellence and to see its intrinsic value; Whether people will recognize/appreciate that or not doesn't really matter - there is something touching the divine there, and thus a satisfaction that transcends everything else.

What I was getting at is that people, even if subconsciously, often DO recognize / appreciate it - which is why it can seem worth paying a couple crores for a finely-crafted motor car; why folks working in the Rolls-Royce factory probably feel better about their work and themselves than those working at Ford. There's a level at which it doesn't matter whether Bugatti is losing lakhs of dollars on every car they sell; money-making is not really the point of the exercise.

Vincent VanGogh died poor (and maybe half-insane), but thank God that, having been ignored/rejected by his generation and peers, he didn't just give up and start a print shop.

The so-called "Golden Rule" that you profess is a very excellent one, the active (vs. passive) flip-side being, "DO for others what you WOULD want done for you."

Many would argue that the luxurious pusuits of a few (the land of my birth would be at the receiving end of that pointed finger more often than most) DO, in variously simple/complex ways, create/ sustain injustice and inequity elsewhere for other members of the human race.

People cite things like the invasions of oil-rich nations: kind of advantageous for me as an invader if the car of a typical size/performance level which "makes me happy" in my nation gets half the fuel mileage of the international average... BUT it should be remembered that BEING invaded is NOT very nice and makes humans on that side quite the opposite of "happy"; There's the whole "Blood Diamond" thing, the whole designer-brand sweatshop model, not to mention historic colonizing habits/economies of the European powers and dozens/hundreds of other examples that one way or another can hit pretty close to home for most of us here on the forums... In all of it, someone or the other is/was just trying to be "happy".

So is a $20,000 bicycle too much bicycle for me as a lazy neighborhood pedaler, if the money being diverted to it is preventing my being helpful/merciful to a few nearby kids in need of a simple meal / basic clothing / education (the "active" side of the Rule: What would I want done for ME if I were in thier situation)?

Not saying it's always a clearcut answer nor cause to judge: the guy with the $20,000 cycle may have given countless millions to good causes and may see the bike as a solid financial investment moreover; And of course we're all free to create our own rules for living and to make/break them as we please - BUT the costs of vanity and excess (and the effects, indeed, on "world peace") would seem to merit some more sober/perceptive thinking than what usually comes naturally to us humans.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th December 2015 at 21:06.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 01:30   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Eric
Whatever dude, peddle happy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote