Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th December 2015, 22:38   #2956
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

With over a year on my Montra Blues 1.1, the number of rides has increased substantially over last few weeks. Definitely fueled by the cool weather. I have started gradually increasing the distance with every ride. Simultaneously I am trying out other technical ways to improve efficiency like optimum saddle height, correct gear shifting, paddling style, cadence etc.

Around 10 months ago I completed a 100+ kms ride and it was without any preparation. Though I completed the ride, lot of things remains pending
The most neglected area is having proper cycling accessories. I have following set of accessories;
  • Helmet (Btwin series 5)
  • Bottle with aluminum cage
  • Rear reflector
  • Pair of locks
  • Btwin cycling gloves
  • Btwin handle bag (2.5 ltrs)
  • LED Lights set

I am thinking of getting following accessories and need help from fellow TBHP cyclist.

Kindly share which place shop (in pune) and/or online marketplace is the best place to purchase these. Do share any specific experience with some of these accessories

Accessories I plan to purchase (with no specific order)
  • Additional bottle and cage. Are there 1 ltr bottles available? Have seen only up to 600 ml bottles.
  • Eye protection (sunglasses, clear lenses): I already use glasses having power of -.75, -.5. So I cannot use the ready to use cycling goggles. What are the options?
  • Padded shorts, cycling shorts
  • Cycling jersey (full sleeve and half sleeve)
  • Full finger hand gloves
  • Rear carrier
  • Additional bags (seat bag, panieer bag)
  • Cycling shoes having hard sole (Iím using regular pedals and not planning to upgrade to clip-less)
  • Spare tube
  • Patch kit (I donít want to use the patch kit used by road side cycle shops. Would like something which doesnít need the cycle tube solution to fix a puncture)
  • Pump: thinking of getting Btwin MNP 100
  • Tire levers to fix puncture
  • Cycling multi-tool with Allen wrenches
  • Visibility vest
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 12:07   #2957
BHPian

Guys, am a total newbie to cycling. In a quest to get fitter, i purchased a 2nd Hand Kross K10 26T Bicycle from Quikr in order to save some money. And i was also not sure for how much time will i have the desire to cycle.

It has a 7X3 Gear System. Now, the problem is that when i change gears, sometimes the chain does not move into the required slot. Also, the chain makes noise while peddling in some gear combinations.

I did give it for Service thinking it will get rid of the Chain Noise. But it's still there.

Appreciate any pointers as to what can be the problem and how to get it fixed ?

In hindsight, i think i made a wrong decision to go for a 2nd Hand Bicycle in order to save some money. Should have gone for a new one...
abhi3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 13:04   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Guys, am a total newbie to cycling. In a quest to get fitter, i purchased a 2nd Hand Kross K10 26T Bicycle from Quikr in order to save some money.
Should have gone for a new one...
Welcome to cycling

From which bike shop you got it serviced?

Chain not moving into desired gear is a typical problem and it can be solved by adjusting the front/rear Derailleur. It's a simple DIY. See video below for more details

What kind of chain noise you are referring to?
It could be because of issue 1 or chain not properly lubricated.

Getting a 2nd hand bike depends on the bike condition and how much it has been ridden. I'm sure you must have checked the bike before purchase and verified few basic things like, is the frame in proper shape (accident), gear leavers, gear wires, brake pads wear/tear, tyres etc.

Old 28th December 2015, 13:17   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Welcome to cycling

From which bike shop you got it serviced?

Chain not moving into desired gear is a typical problem and it can be solved by adjusting the front/rear Derailleur. It's a simple DIY. See video below for more details

What kind of chain noise you are referring to?
It could be because of issue 1 or chain not properly lubricated.

Getting a 2nd hand bike depends on the bike condition and how much it has been ridden. I'm sure you must have checked the bike before purchase and verified few basic things like, is the frame in proper shape (accident), gear leavers, gear wires, brake pads wear/tear, tyres etc.

Thanks mp417.
I got it serviced from a normal roadside Cycle Shop.

Chain Noise is heard when pedaling, possibly lack of lubrication or something brushing with the chain.

Wish Team BHP had a PDI for Bicycles as well. Being a novice, i did not check all the points that you have mentioned as i was unaware about it.
Anyways, lesson learnt.

Can you point me to any good place in PMC Area who can diagnose the Issie and fix it for good ? Also, what would be the approximate cost ?

And Thanks for the Video Link...
abhi3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 14:06   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Thanks mp417.
Can you point me to any good place in PMC Area who can diagnose the Issie and fix it for good ? Also, what would be the approximate cost ?
Go to Surender cycles on Karve Road or Baner Road.
I am regular customer with Surender for more than a year now and the guy knows how to service geared cycles. I prefer the Karve road shop. Regular servicing cost is 400 bucks and if you replace something that would be additional.
Old 28th December 2015, 14:11   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Accessories I plan to purchase (with no specific order)
  • Additional bottle and cage. Are there 1 ltr bottles available? Have seen only up to 600 ml bottles.
  • Eye protection (sunglasses, clear lenses): I already use glasses having power of -.75, -.5. So I cannot use the ready to use cycling goggles. What are the options?
  • Padded shorts, cycling shorts
  • Cycling jersey (full sleeve and half sleeve)
  • Full finger hand gloves
  • Rear carrier
  • Additional bags (seat bag, panieer bag)
  • Cycling shoes having hard sole (Iím using regular pedals and not planning to upgrade to clip-less)
  • Spare tube
  • Patch kit (I donít want to use the patch kit used by road side cycle shops. Would like something which doesnít need the cycle tube solution to fix a puncture)
  • Pump: thinking of getting Btwin MNP 100
  • Tire levers to fix puncture
  • Cycling multi-tool with Allen wrenches
  • Visibility vest
Since you already are in Pune, you'd have surely visited the Decathlon by now. I think most of the things that you are looking for can be bought there. I use their padded shorts and find them decent enough. For cycling jersey's you could try the Leopardskyn jersey's. They are excellent jersey's for the price they are offered. Available on snapdeal. Buy a size smaller like if you use M then buy S. It will give you a snug fit.

Tyre Tubes are sometimes not available for hybrid in decathlon. I have tried Specialized store on Law College road and Giant store near RTO Pune. Both have it and of good quality. All these stores will have multi tool, patch kits etc but not sure if it would be without solution.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 00:09   #2962
Senior - BHPian

I'm currently in my home country the Netherlands. Enjoying riding my bicycle a lot. Today I visited my favourite bike shop.

https://www.hansstruijkfietsen.nl/wi...haag-the-globe

I came across something I had not seen before. Winter tires for your bicycle! They have tires made of special compound, advised for temperatures below 7oC for better grip. And they have these, studded tires!! Never seen these before.

This Christmas set a new world record temperature wise. The warmest Christmas ever recorded in the Netherlands. Last year we had a little bit of snow, next wee some snow is forecasted, so we will see.

People in the Netherlands will use their bikes to commute, take the kids to school etc. A little bit of rain, snow or frost will not stop anybody in the Netherlands from taking their bike. Wonder why we did not see this studded tires before?

Name:  IMG_0300.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0301.JPG
Views: 1600
Size:  119.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0302.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0303.JPG
Views: 1579
Size:  120.5 KB
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 15:37   #2963
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT - Planning to give away a Schwinn Frontier Comp - 2011 model L frame. Purchased in Aug 2011 for my wife but hardly used and was last serviced in end of 2013. Bike has been stored indoors and hence no rust and frame has a couple of small scratches. Everything else is in working condition. Also planning to give away complete set of accessories - helmet, gloves,tubes & saddle bag. What could be the expected resale value?
procrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 16:19   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Whatever dude, peddle happy!Jeroen
Will do... though it's getting mighty chilly up here these days (the Dutch photos I'm just now seeing should certainly inspire); Did get my own new rear tyre on, and interested to see how this Rs170 Chandni-Chowk nylon-belted "BEDROCK" ISI-special holds up vs. the Merida originals, or the Rs950 Kendas locally available... I am not initially very hopeful, in view of cracks already developing in the side-walls (prior to a first trial even - ooops...). This may end up being snow-tested, in light of this week's local Himalayan weather predictions... I'm sure they're not going to work as well as those studs/siping/special compound, at least on ice... I was looking for something with a prominent center portion to (theoretically) help speed (reducved rolling resistance) on-road, while still having some lugs on the sides for extra grip in the deeper mud/snow/dirt. Let's see how it works in practice. I'd expect them to be thoroughly useless on ice.

Hoping you might've actually read / considered what you responded to a little lightly above... it is not really quite as OT as it may seem, nor, sincerely, is it insignificant to any of us humans, whether we pedal (or even peddle), walk, drive, or crawl... Not imagining that you'd be interested in continuing off-forum, but that's an option...

-Eric

The Bicycles thread-p1040873.jpg

Last edited by ringoism : 4th January 2016 at 16:29.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 22:14   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Hoping you might've actually read / considered what you responded to a little lightly above... it is not really quite as OT as it may seem, nor, sincerely, is it insignificant to any of us humans, whether we pedal (or even peddle), walk, drive, or crawl... Not imagining that you'd be interested in continuing off-forum, but that's an option...

Spelled correctly and entirely appropriate in the context of your posts, but, apparently, not everybody gets it. Not to worry, keep it coming!

Jeroen
Old 7th January 2016, 12:56   #2966
BHPian

Its been more than a month since I started using my Decathlon BTWin MyBike 7s for my daily commute of around 12 kms. Would love to post a review soon.

I was not confident of continuing it in the beginning and also I was discouraged by many people around my workplace for using cycle for daily commute. That's the reason I went for a minimum budget. But now I realise I should have spent more and got more gears. I am so happy with my cycle that my day starts with a smile after my daily ride. Wanted to post a pic of my cycle but will post it in next time.

Now slowly I am turning into a full time cyclist. I don't even think about distances and time nowadays if I want to go anywhere in the city alone. And I am enjoying every bit of it. I guess cycling really gives you a freedom. As a child I always loved cycling but I never got cycle of my choice! My father always had different choices. When I wanted to by BSA Street Cat I got Hero Ranger and when I wanted to buy BSA SLR I got Speed King (It was only option in CSD)!

I feel to upgrade my cycle whenever I visit De Cathalon. But I guess it will be too early to change it. looking forward to read more such experiences from cyclists on this forum
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 17:21   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Spelled correctly and entirely appropriate in the context of your posts... Not to worry, keep it coming! Jeroen
Sorry to have missed the wordplay, and thanks for the encouragement; I'll continue, as far as the forum is concerned, to peddle (whether there be buyers or not) whenever / whatever seems appropriate .

Very likely many others in my (our?) situation (i.e., world-traveled long-time ex-pat residents) would not have analyzed hobbies (i.e., our pedaling machines), happiness, and "world peace" (or the lack thereof) using quite the same set of "tools" as I have;

BUT most of us who've lived and moved extensively in different cultures have eventually had some, eh, 'uncomfortable' (status-quo/presupposition- threatening) thoughts forced upon us; And then we, with the philosophers, saints and powers-that-be, must decide (in light of the fact that we can't exactly "fix" anything), whether to ceaselessly wrestle with them or to try and ignore/deny/bury them. Neither option is actually easy, but it is not an arbitrary choice, because they will lead us, personally and collectively, to completely different places.

Now, more immediately, why is it that despite the surprisingly decent weather this week and the fitness of the machine, I can't seem to get my pre-owned Merida out for the ride - and exercise - I know I need... (Hmmmm... see above???)?

Kind Regards,
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 11th January 2016 at 17:28.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 17:48   #2968
Senior - BHPian

I have just spend some time back in the Netherlands and I was hoping to do some nice cycling tours. Weather was atrocious. Other then a few short trips I did not get very far. But at least I managed to take most of my bicycle apart and give it a very thorough cleaning job. Although I love to cycle, I do like to clean, maintain and adjust where needed my bicycle too.
Jeroen
Old 14th January 2016, 23:37   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
As far as "doing things well" goes (whether adjusting a derailleur or setting a new personal record for my ride to town and back, or laying out a smooth fillet weld): I simply don't live for the expectations of other people. This, far from boredom, makes me wonderfully FREE to pursue excellence and to see its intrinsic value; Whether people will recognize/appreciate that or not doesn't really matter - there is something touching the divine there, and thus a satisfaction that transcends everything else.

The so-called "Golden Rule" that you profess is a very excellent one, the active (vs. passive) flip-side being, "DO for others what you WOULD want done for you."

Many would argue that the luxurious pusuits of a few (the land of my birth would be at the receiving end of that pointed finger more often than most) DO, in variously simple/complex ways, create/ sustain injustice and inequity elsewhere for other members of the human race.

So is a $20,000 bicycle too much bicycle for me as a lazy neighborhood pedaler, if the money being diverted to it is preventing my being helpful/merciful to a few nearby kids in need of a simple meal / basic clothing / education (the "active" side of the Rule: What would I want done for ME if I were in thier situation)?

-Eric
Really well said! I am quite on thye same page. Not very common to see people really 'thinking' and trying to see/make sense of the big picture.

I couldnt find the thanks button! Where has it disappeared?

By the way, i finally ordered a btwin mybike. The single gear version. Thats because i might get bored/ be made fun of by friends and family; and not use the cycle. if i do sustain it for over a couple months i might get a better one. Any reviews of the Btwin Nework3? Its on sale for ~11k and looked good.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 02:51   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
I came across something I had not seen before. Winter tires for your bicycle! They have tires made of special compound, advised for temperatures below 7oC for better grip. And they have these, studded tires!! Never seen these before.
I have seen quite a few people using the same here in Sweden. My friend, uses the winter tyre with studs only for front tyre, he said it works well for him. Its been a harsh winter here, the other day I cycled around 7 Kms in -22C weather. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, its manageable, if you have the correct clothing.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote