Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th January 2016, 17:31   #2971
Senior - BHPian

The Dutch are at it again! Novelty in bicycling, bicycle paths made of recycled wood. Have to go and try it out next time Im visiting home

http://www.citylab.com/design/2016/0...ontmij/425040/
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 22:11   #2972
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I had acquired a gear-less bicycle few years back for my wife. She hardly used it, it was kept in the parking lot. Last weekend I have cleaned & greased it and started riding it. I don't want to invest in a brand new bicycle right now. Is it possible to retro-fit gears in the single speed bicycle?If so, any workshop near Marathalli ?
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 16:57   #2973
BHPian

Got back on my Trek after nearly 6 months, during which I was running (did the Delhi and Mumbai half marathons). Feels good to be cycling again. You realise that the muscles you use while cycling are not the same as those for running - was full of aches after the first day (when I did 25 km), and am a bit of a wreck today (after a 40 km spin). Met a group of cyclists from Juhu who had pedalled all the way to town, and were going to complete a 100 km spin via Thane, Ghodbunder Road and Dahisar before heading home. Have a long way to go before I get there. Guess will have to cycle at least 2 days a week till the monsoons start if I want to progress beyond the 45 km Mark (which is the most I have done).
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 14:15   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I don't want to invest in a brand new bicycle right now. Is it possible to retro-fit gears in the single speed bicycle?If so, any workshop near Marathalli ?
It is possible to fit gears to a gear less bicycle. My friend just got it fit to his 20 year old cycle.
Who in your area can install, I am not sure. He had checked with a cycle repair shop who agreed to fit them.
My fried himself sourced the parts and handed it to him.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 1st February 2016 at 14:44.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:00   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Mechanical doping, its been a myth for long, not anymore. An app for tablet has been developed by UCI to find the motor concealed in the cycle stem.

200 - 250 W of power, even for small burst say 5-10 minutes will be quite handy during hill climb or break away sprints.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 06:53   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
An app for tablet has been developed by UCI to find the motor concealed in the cycle stem.

200 - 250 W of power, even for small burst say 5-10 minutes will be quite handy during hill climb or break away sprints.

Incredible. The obsession with winning at all costs must have some limits. I agree with the hosts that a lifetime ban is well deserved here - for anyone who knew (or should have known) that this was happening.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:38   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
You realise that the muscles you use while cycling are not the same as those for running - was full of aches after the first day (when I did 25 km), and am a bit of a wreck today (after a 40 km spin).
For me it was other way around .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
LOL , I thought I had improved my stamina quite a lot after more than 1000Kms of cycling this year. So when my friend asked me whether I am interested in trekking for 25Kms through the woods, I thought to myself, "How hard can it be?"

Answer is, quite hard. I never ran out of breath during the 5:00 hour climb. But my knees became sore.
Like this, https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Anyways, I will definitely go for future treks. This was a good experience .
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 23:08   #2978
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone in BLR have a spare medium sized saddle ? The saddle on my Decathlon is a small size, and I am trying to figure out which one would be comfortable.

Note - I did check out the gel pads, but I feel I should look at the saddle itself first.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 10:30   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
You realise that the muscles you use while cycling are not the same as those for running - was full of aches after the first day (when I did 25 km), and am a bit of a wreck today (after a 40 km spin).
Similar situation for me, but slightly different reasons. Am not able to get myself on the bike again - am completely hooked to running. Got the running calendar all setup with several races throughout Q1 & Q2 with no clear plans for the bike.

For me every day it's the same story. It takes atleast 10-15 mins to get the bike and gear setup; it takes only a min to put on the shoes; the fight is won at that stage itself
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 11:24   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Similar situation for me, but slightly different reasons. Am not able to get myself on the bike again - am completely hooked to running. Got the running calendar all setup with several races throughout Q1 & Q2 with no clear plans for the bike.

For me every day it's the same story. It takes atleast 10-15 mins to get the bike and gear setup; it takes only a min to put on the shoes; the fight is won at that stage itself
That is when you should start planning for a duathlon or a triathlon

I started running last year (I am a very slow runner though compared to your pace ), and my cycling mileage went down drastically compared to 2014. This year, I am planning to balance the activities by training for either a Duathlon or a Triathlon that happens every year at Thonnur lake near Mysore. Hope to get back on the saddle soon!
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 10:19   #2981
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Its been more than two months since I took up cycling. I was not at all confident whether I would be able to continue.

But now the things have changed totally! And I am daily going for morning rides as well as commuting for office. The total distance I am doing is around 20 Kms a day including all the rides.

Now I am facing a new problem. As I was not sure about my cycling activity I didn't do any research and bought a basic geared cycle My Bike 7s from Decathlon, so that I don't lose money in case the cycle is not used by me in future. Now the problem is my cycle is good cycle but I feel I need an upgrade. I need more gears and I need Aluminium frame or lighter cycle. Now the research has started for me. I want to buy a Hybrid. I am not sure about the brands which I should be looking for. Decathlon Bikes seems to be decent but they don't have wider range. I visited Firefox and Giant showrooms and found them to be expensive. But they really have got a wider range too.

So my question to my fellow cyclists is:

Is it too early for me to think for an upgrade?

Which Hybrid I should be looking for in the of Rs 15k to 25K. I am not interested in having suspensions. So I can get good deal I suppose!
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 10:50   #2982
BHPian

@zaheer5776,

1. If you feel you need more gears you can always go for an after market fitment of any shimano three gear setup up front.

2. I would strongly recommend going for hybrid tyres and you probably won't feel the need for a lighter frame with your kind of riding.

3. For better ergonomics, you can go for a longer seat stem and an adjustable stem for the handlebar.

These upgrades won't cost too much. As a first just change over to slimmer tyres. You might not even need more gears for a road ride of 20km.

All the best.
Jet-thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 07:29   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
@zaheer5776,

1. If you feel you need more gears you can always go for an after market fitment of any shimano three gear setup up front.

2. I would strongly recommend going for hybrid tyres and you probably won't feel the need for a lighter frame with your kind of riding.

3. For better ergonomics, you can go for a longer seat stem and an adjustable stem for the handlebar.

These upgrades won't cost too much. As a first just change over to slimmer tyres. You might not even need more gears for a road ride of 20km.

All the best.
I cant see thanks button here on this thread! Thanks for your reply. In fact I was having doubts about after market fitments that's why I thought for new cycle. But the points you mentioned are quite convincing. I checked for the gears and it will cost me around 3k.

I will definitely think about it now. Also the thought of owning two cycles was looking very attractive. Like keeping current cycle for daily commute as I have seen that cycles are stolen very commonly everywhere and as a coincidence I just got a message on whatsapp about an expensive cycle of our group member got stolen. So I think for morning rides one can have a little bit expensive cycle.
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 09:40   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
I cant see thanks button here on this thread! Thanks for your reply. In fact I was having doubts about after market fitments that's why I thought for new cycle. But the points you mentioned are quite convincing. I checked for the gears and it will cost me around 3k.

I will definitely think about it now. Also the thought of owning two cycles was looking very attractive. Like keeping current cycle for daily commute as I have seen that cycles are stolen very commonly everywhere and as a coincidence I just got a message on whatsapp about an expensive cycle of our group member got stolen. So I think for morning rides one can have a little bit expensive cycle.

Wish you happy riding.

Like I'd said, the first upgrade I would recommend (even before the gears) is the tyres. Pick a thinner tyre which is not knobby in the centre and for daily commuting you will be very comfortable.
Later, you can buy a second bike specifically for the kind of hobby riding you wish to do.
Jet-thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 09:58   #2985
BHPian

The last couple of pages have BTwin bicycles mentioned, so here is a photo of my BTwin MyBike 7s (7-speed). On a ride in Goa.

For my comfort, I have changed the handlebar to a flat bar, added a 90mm stem (after taking out the old quill stem). Also added is a BTwin carrier, to which I can attach a BTwin child seat.

Next upgrade, if you can call it that, is a Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed internal gear hub.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-dsc04547.jpg  

flotsam is offline   Reply With Quote