Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th February 2016, 10:55   #2986
BHPian

A year has gone by, and had my first major upgrade. Fitted a 7 speed gear. The benefits are immense. And to try our the new gears, had a nice 50km ride today morning. The last 7-8km were tough, but managed it in good time. This was my first 50km ride. Great experience with like minded people.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1455341073300.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-1455341094892.jpg  

blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 11:00   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post

Next upgrade, if you can call it that, is a Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed internal gear hub.

The sturmey archer is a brilliant piece of engineering. My cousin's Brompton has one. The best part, other than the reliability, is the fact that you can shift gears while standing still. That's a big plus when riding in stop and go conditions.

Where are you getting it from and how much are you paying for it?
Jet-thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 09:54   #2988
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
The sturmey archer is a brilliant piece of engineering. My cousin's Brompton has one. The best part, other than the reliability, is the fact that you can shift gears while standing still. That's a big plus when riding in stop and go conditions.

Where are you getting it from and how much are you paying for it?
Yes, the Sturmey Archer hub is a masterpiece. I had fitted one to my Hind Cycles Speedking aeons ago, and then, regrettably, sold the bike.

Recently, I felt like getting an internal gear hub again, and found the Sturmey Archer AW on eBay (US$100). I haven't fitted it yet, as I thought I will wait till I am thoroughly bored with the 7-speed derailleur mechanism currently fitted on my bike.

Here is a photo of the parts I have lovingly accumulated
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-dsc04554.jpg  

flotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 21:43   #2989
BHPian

Lightbulb Giving a new lease of life to my Hercules thriller - Jhandewalan

So the cycling bug hit me after all these years. The last time I had pedalled seriously was during graduation days. After that I have rarely, if ever, been on a bicycle. Though in 2010 I did get a little excited after a friend gifted me his 'geared' Hercules Thriller, but the lazy bum in me hardly ever took it for a spin - max being an easy 8-10 km ride on weekends!

In Delhi I had the opportunity to visit the Jhandewalan Cycle Market to purchase a bicycle - not for me though. There I got talking with one of the shopkeepers and one thing led to another. He revealed that there was a talented 'mechanic' who restored regular geared bikes - even old ones! That led to the germination of an idea. I went and met him - Irfan was his name. I asked him if he could 'upgrade' my Hercules Thriller which has gears only in the rear to one that that had gears in both front sprocket and rear and he said why not?! He then very enthusiastically went on to explain what all he could do with the bicycle (though I honestly didn't get half the jargon that he belted out) but I was convinced that the humble old Hercules could be given a turnaround.

The afternoon saw me lugging the Hercules contorted in an unimaginable position in the back of the Zen to Irfan. He saw the bike and passed a verdict that the bike was in fine fettle and some spirited TLC would put it at par with the Firefoxes and Giants. I took this with a (large) pinch of salt and thought that he was just bandying about big names in order to impress me.

After a day I went to collect the bike. Here's a summary of the things he did

• Put in new 3-sprocket crankset along with a new derailleur in front
  • Service rear cassette and derailleur
  • Put in new ball bearings in both the wheels
  • Replace defective spokes
  • Changed the thumb push type gear lever to the grip type gear lever for controlling both the front and rear derailleurs
  • Removed the 'horns' (seeng/ सींग - that's what he called them)
  • Changed the rear tyre to a less knobbly one (on my insistence)
  • Added a front light as well as a back light
  • Added a Bottle carrier/ cage and a bottle
  • Replaced the stock seat with an 'imported' one
  • Replaced the ball bearings in headset and head tube with better ones
  • Repaired the brakes , replace brake pads/ shoes all around
  • Replaced the screw type seatpost clamp with a flip type one
  • Replaced all cables (four of them)
  • Replaced both brake levers

I got chatting with him and he revealed that he often used to go on expeditions with फिरंगी people on these organised bicycle expeditions to Uttarakhand/ Spiti/ Ladakh as the head mechanic and he has worked on bikes that cost upward of Rs 5L !

The total damage for the repair/ transformation was 24xx while the labour was Rs 400. I paid him Rs 3K. The bike runs smooth like butter now, though the grip type gear levers are a little hard at the moment. I expect it to get comfortable with time.

Here are the pictures

Hercules Thriller - Representational image - courtesy Google

Name:  herculesbiketopgear6speedmedium.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  50.7 KB

New front 'imported' derailleur and cassette

The Bicycles thread-dsc02041.jpg

Rear cassette and derailleur 'serviced'

The Bicycles thread-dsc02042.jpg

Stock seat replaced with an 'imported' one, screw type seatpost clamp replaced with a flip type one

The Bicycles thread-dsc02043.jpg

Water Bottle Holder / Clamp with bottle

The Bicycles thread-dsc02045.jpg

Grip type gear lever - left

The Bicycles thread-dsc02046.jpg

Grip type gear lever - right

The Bicycles thread-dsc02047.jpg

Irfan - Mechanic par excellence, Jhandewalan, New Delhi - +919873181063

The Bicycles thread-dsc02051.jpg

All in all, it's been a pleasant experience. The bike runs smoothly and the experience has left me cycling more than what I used to, which, considering the fee, is great !.

Irfan claims that he can turn non-geared bicycles into geared ones and make them comparable to some of the big names in the business (Well he did a good job with mine - so far!). He said he routinely works with the imported bikes which the various shops in the Jhandewalan Cycle Market send to him to fit derailleurs and cassettes and look at the niggles that crop up once in a while. He has sorted my bicycle and it really runs smoothly. People in Delhi who are looking for adding gears to their bikes can look at him for advice and repair I guess.

Here are his contact details

Irfan - Jhandewalan Bicycle Market, New Delhi - +919873181063

Pros
  • Knowledgeable and conscientious
  • Quality of work
  • Price

Cons
  • You have to lug your bicycle to him

Cheers !
Attached Images

Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 09:29   #2990
BHPian

Dear Friends,
It gives me immense pleasure to announce completion of 3 months of cycling! I bought cycle on 28th Nov 15 and began cycling for daily commute and morning rides. So far I have lost more than 3 kgs in 3 months and the experience is great.

I would like the promote cycling as mode of transport which I am already doing it offline and online by sharing my experiences and encouraging people who want to do cycling.

Also I would like to thank friends here who gave me valuable advise. I hope I will complete one year of cycling! First three months were really important for me as I was not at all confident about continuing it.

My use of car and bike has become minimum. In fact nowadays I have to take them out of fear that battery trouble may arise if I keep them out of use! So mostly I am driving car on weekends or whenever I get chance to do so. Bike has been completely locked. Would love to post pics of my locked motorcycle n scooter
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 19:41   #2991
Senior - BHPian

I am going to post more on this thread but quickly will give you a brief introduction of my introduction into cycling just 7 months back.

I used to cycle back in School around the year 1995 - 1998. A good 4 years of riding my cycle for almost 20 km's every school attending day. After which I got myself a motorcycle.

Other than the usual cycle machine in the gym I never climbed atop a cycle as far as I can remember between the years 1998 - 2015,

I am overweight and I needed to exercise badly and this one day back In August last year I spoke to someone close and over a casual meeting he mentioned that how he cycles and how I should also get one and I told him if there was one available in Agra as I always somehow had a picture of a nice expensive mountain bike which I thought I would buy some day ( never knew when but just knew some day ! ). He said he knew someone in the city who stocks from every possible bike I could think of ranging from as little as 15k to upwards of 1 Lac and I was surprised but I did not believe him.

An hour later I started getting whatsapp images of bikes and prices and I must have received 20 - Giant to Scott to Trek etc.

I showed some interest in the Giant Rincon Disc - a dark blue colored one. It was nearly 35k and with accessories - a bottle holder, 2 lights - a front and rear and a speedometer and a cycle stand and a seat cover it cost me about 37k. It was home delivered and it was a beauty. I rode it for 2 kms the very same evening and I started riding slowly and averaged about 50km's a week.

After a gap in the winter cold months I have restarted and do about 20 km's in the mornings in just over an hour including some 50 - 60m incline total.

I can proudly say that I have lost 12 kg's in around 6 months and cycling would contribute to more than 50% of this reduction. I walk and have changed my diet to a more disciplined one.

Cycling is one of the best exercises one can do and its a fun way of doing. I am lucky enough to have some good trails and routes near my house including a fantastic 2.5 km winding parkway that allows and has a cycle path.

I see more and more people riding the bike these days and it has become an exercise that everyone admires.

Cycling is coming back and its coming back with a bang.

I will post a few pictures of an article we featured in TOI and also will post a picture of my bike.

I shall regularly contribute to this thread.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 19:48   #2992
Senior - BHPian

The photo in the newspaper.

The Bicycles thread-image.jpeg
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 13:13   #2993
BHPian

My Trek 3700 has seen 2 punctures in the last 2 months that too without too much of a ride.
Planning to change the tubes since tyre treads look fine - what brands should l be looking at ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-image.jpeg  

LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 12:04   #2994
BHPian

Pick whatever you can find in Decathlon - can't go wrong with that.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 19:01   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
too much of a ride.
Planning to change the tubes since tyre treads look fine - what brands should l be looking at ?
Bontrager and Kenda. Firefox can be considered as well if you are just riding on good roads.
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 06:34   #2996

Hello fellow cyclists!

do kindly forgive my poor writing skills

I rode my 26" Hard-Tail Mountain Bike (on normal roads/bicycle paths 100% of the time(I'm stupid emot)) for 6 months before having to take a break and in the 6 months gap that followed, I gained 7 kilos! Now I want to get back to cycling again, but the one thing that's eating my mind away is that I cannot decide between a Racer or a 27.5" Hard-Tail mountain bike. I am a fatty (84kg (lol emot)) and obviously have to lose a few kilos. I hope you can spare a minute or 10 and help me decide! I'll be mainly using it for short rides within city (in Germany) and daily rides of circa 40kms. I will list the for/against points I made for the different types of bicycles.

Fully-Mountain Bike: I rode this type(Hero Ranger 24"(or 21" can't remember) 18-Gear) as a teen for nearly 7 years and I absolutely love it. But I feel that the rear suspension causes power losses while pedalling hard and is hence less efficient comparatively. And I never do proper mountain-biking so it might be less useful for me.

For Hard-Tail, Against Racer:
Toughness- My friend who had a racer had to avoid cobbled streets so as not to damage the 1mm thick wheels (jk) while I could go straight through them, like an SUV. I find this toughness very desirable!

Satisfaction- When I keep up with my friend (a 60kg skeleton(sorry Fred)), while on thick tyres and a bike that's heavier by 7 kilos, and also when I complete rides knowing that I spent that extra energy due to the inefficiencies, I get this weird sense of satisfaction that I love, and would love to get it with my new bike!

Comfort- When I rode my friend's racer, I found the bent down aerodynamic posture very uncomfortable, though I think I can get used to it. And I can carry stuff on a luggage rack (instead of my back), which might not be possible to fit on a racer.

Theft- I feel racers look quite expensive thanks to their sleek and well-designed frames and hence might be quite attractive to thieves. I am not a negligent/careless person who doesn't appreciate the things given to me but I would love to have a peace of mind when I leave it out for a minute or 2 while utilising the services of an ATM machine.

Against Hard-Tail, for Racer:
Same old, same old!- Since I have always been riding mountain-bikes, I feel that a racer can be a great change! And since I am studying to be an Engineer, maybe I should start developing an irrational hatred towards inefficiency (like Maruti hates safety).

Uneven weight loss(yep!)- Now I am not a doctor or a medical person but I can definitely see that my legs have very less fat and are quite muscular, while my upper body is of Lord Vinayaka (no offence). I feel this might be due to the 100 Mega Newtons of effort (jk) required to pedal the inefficient MTB and I hope that a racer might help me lose weight more evenly. Or I am stupid and understood nothing about human body mechanics.

Longer Rides- When your friends ask what was your record distance or when you are a shameless bragger (Oh by the way I did a 100kms/5hrs ride with a broken front bearing), nothing beats cold straight-up triple digit numbers, and explaining why your 100kms ride is also epic because you did it on a MTB, makes you look...lame.

So, thanks for reading my boring post and I really appreciate any help! Here are some pics because everyone likes pics.

My previous companion:
The Bicycles thread-hai.jpg
It's a Hai (=Shark in German) Rookie 26" Hard-Tail. It was given away by it's previous owner and the shop repaired it and was in a fairly good condition. I bought it for ₹15k(EUR 200) and only had a serious front wheel bearing issue once which the shop replaced under warranty.

The Hard Tail I'm considering:
The Bicycles thread-kcp-27.5.jpg
This is the cheapest (₹18800/EUR250)(student budget you see) non-26" hard-tail I could find on amazon and the company seems quite reputable.

Accessories I will be adding:
Luggage rack
Name:  Luggage rack.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  17.8 KB
They usually have a capacity of 5-10 Kilos and attach to the seatpost.

Lights
The Bicycles thread-buechel.jpg
For safety. I really like the design of the reflector of this model (Büchel)

Mudguards
The Bicycles thread-mudguards.jpg
Rs.18k and no mudguard!!

Speedo
The Bicycles thread-sigmasport-computer.jpg
This is a must have if you ask me. It is an excellent tool to keep you motivated.

The racer I'm (not so seriously) considering:
The Bicycles thread-hillside_racer.jpg
This is the cheapest non-single speed racer on amazon. The company doesn't seem reputable (no website even). I will definitely do some research to find a better alternative if I decide to buy a racer but I think I might have to shell out more than EUR 300 for a quality racer.

Accessories:

Better Shifters (brake lever + shifter combo)
The Bicycles thread-shifters_road.jpg
This is more of a convenience mod, and they are...expensive. Like it might end up costing me half the price of the bike itself if I decide to install them. But it can't stop me from drooling over it's amazing mechanism. With the Shimano make, you can simply push the lever inwards, upto 3 steps for shifting up 1 gear per step and pushing the additional lever (the black bit) will shift down gears. The left side is for the front derailleur.

And mud guard
The Bicycles thread-mudguards_racer.jpg

and some others if need be.

Offtopic: A human being can produce .3HP for several hours if he/she exerts him/herself(Source: Wikipedia of course). So maybe we should call ourselves...wait for it...Team-.3Bhpians!!!1 Anyone? No? Ok sorry.
SreeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:06   #2997
BHPian

Default The Bicycles thread

If u are going to be riding on roads (no matter how bad) you don't need a mountain bike

Go over to bikeszone and read up on it.

Forget the accessories. All I would buy is s good helmet, gloves and a blinking tail lamp.

All the other goodies can come on a need basis.

I am a heavy guy and comfortable riding a hybrid with relatively skinny tires(700x32c) on broken city roads with a mix of concrete and tar.
I do commute to work 2 times a week. No issues whatsoever.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:00   #2998
BHPian

Question Re: The Bicycles thread

Hi Folks,

A question to the people who visit Pro-Cycle, Bangalore, or Pro-Bikers, Chennai, often - do either of these places have a Caad-12-105 for sale ?

And if yes, what's the approximate cost ?

Thanks in advance
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:52   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
I rode my 26" Hard-Tail Mountain Bike (on normal roads/bicycle paths 100% of the time(I'm stupid emot)) for 6 months before having to take a break and in the 6 months gap that followed, I gained 7 kilos! Now I want to get back to cycling again, but the one thing that's eating my mind away is that I cannot decide between a Racer or a 27.5" Hard-Tail mountain bike. I am a fatty (84kg (lol emot)) and obviously have to lose a few kilos. I hope you can spare a minute or 10 and help me decide! I'll be mainly using it for short rides within city (in Germany) and daily rides of circa 40kms. I will list the for/against points I made for the different types of bicycles.

Comfort- When I rode my friend's racer, I found the bent down aerodynamic posture very uncomfortable, though I think I can get used to it. And I can carry stuff on a luggage rack (instead of my back), which might not be possible to fit on a racer.

Same old, same old!- Since I have always been riding mountain-bikes, I feel that a racer can be a great change! And since I am studying to be an Engineer, maybe I should start developing an irrational hatred towards inefficiency (like Maruti hates safety).

Uneven weight loss(yep!)- Now I am not a doctor or a medical person but I can definitely see that my legs have very less fat and are quite muscular, while my upper body is of Lord Vinayaka (no offence). I feel this might be due to the 100 Mega Newtons of effort (jk) required to pedal the inefficient MTB and I hope that a racer might help me lose weight more evenly. Or I am stupid and understood nothing about human body mechanics.

Regarding Bike Choice:
If you are looking for a bike that you can use for both commuting and century rides, my suggestion is go for a hybrid. The hybrid would have the same riding posture as of a MTB which is suitable for commute, has slicker tires for less rolling resistance. So, you will not be wasting so much energy on those long rides, and at the same time can ride in the upright position with a backpack for commuting.

Regarding weight loss:
I was overweight at 94KG with waist size at 40". In the end of 2013, I did a couple of tough HIIT and resistance workouts - Insanity and P90X, where I also watched what I ate. I lost 13kgs in these 4 months and reached a weight of 81kg and a waist size of 36". Then in 2014, I started various activities like cycling, running, tennis etc. In 2014 and 2015, I have completed a couple of 200BRMs, close to 10 century rides, many 10K runs, a half marathon etc. In 2015, I had burnt over 160,000 calories. Due to the high level of physical activity, I thought it is ok not to have a strict watch on the diet. To my surprise, by the end of 2015, my weight had gone up to 89kgs and my waist back to 39". So, the moral of the story is no matter how much you work out, if you are not careful about your diet, you are not going to lose weight.

Recently I happened to read a book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. This book has very good scientific facts about how carbs and sugar are the root cause for the fat store in our middle region, and also the myth about dietary fat being the cause of obesity. Now, I have started following a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet along with my physical activities, and have already lost 4kgs in the past 4 weeks. I will not bore you with details, but if your main food contains sugar (soft drinks, ice cream etc), processed carb (pasta, bread) etc, these are the things you need to cut. Read up on LCHF, Paleo diet etc., to get a better understanding of what leads to weight gain and you will be successful in your weight loss journey.

In short, exercise to be fit and healthy, and watch your diet to lose weight!

Last edited by graaja : 3rd April 2016 at 09:56.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 00:01   #3000
BHPian

Graaja - Thanks for the insights. I will try to get the ebook. I have been on break since 1.5 years and planning to start again tomorrow morning. Just finished servicing my bike.
htanna is offline   Reply With Quote