Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th April 2016, 12:24   #3001

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
If u are going to be riding on roads (no matter how bad) you don't need a mountain bike

Go over to bikeszone and read up on it.

Forget the accessories. All I would buy is s good helmet, gloves and a blinking tail lamp.

All the other goodies can come on a need basis.

I am a heavy guy and comfortable riding a hybrid with relatively skinny tires(700x32c) on broken city roads with a mix of concrete and tar.
I do commute to work 2 times a week. No issues whatsoever.
Thank you for your advice freedom. I will start looking for a good Hybrid bike. I believe they are called Cross Bikes here in Germany.

I'm sorry but I have listed the bare essential accessories here! And front lights are a Legal requirement here in Germany and in India as well; they are invaluable to me on unlit cross country bike paths I find myself on most of the time!

Also I forgot to mention the speedo has a little arrow indicating if you are currently above or below your average speed for that ride. I find this extremely useful for motivating me to keep my speed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Regarding Bike Choice:
If you are looking for a bike that you can use for both commuting and century rides, my suggestion is go for a hybrid. The hybrid would have the same riding posture as of a MTB which is suitable for commute, has slicker tires for less rolling resistance. So, you will not be wasting so much energy on those long rides, and at the same time can ride in the upright position with a backpack for commuting.

Regarding weight loss:
I was overweight at 94KG with waist size at 40". In the end of 2013, I did a couple of tough HIIT and resistance workouts - Insanity and P90X, where I also watched what I ate. I lost 13kgs in these 4 months and reached a weight of 81kg and a waist size of 36". Then in 2014, I started various activities like cycling, running, tennis etc. In 2014 and 2015, I have completed a couple of 200BRMs, close to 10 century rides, many 10K runs, a half marathon etc. In 2015, I had burnt over 160,000 calories. Due to the high level of physical activity, I thought it is ok not to have a strict watch on the diet. To my surprise, by the end of 2015, my weight had gone up to 89kgs and my waist back to 39". So, the moral of the story is no matter how much you work out, if you are not careful about your diet, you are not going to lose weight.

Recently I happened to read a book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. This book has very good scientific facts about how carbs and sugar are the root cause for the fat store in our middle region, and also the myth about dietary fat being the cause of obesity. Now, I have started following a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet along with my physical activities, and have already lost 4kgs in the past 4 weeks. I will not bore you with details, but if your main food contains sugar (soft drinks, ice cream etc), processed carb (pasta, bread) etc, these are the things you need to cut. Read up on LCHF, Paleo diet etc., to get a better understanding of what leads to weight gain and you will be successful in your weight loss journey.

In short, exercise to be fit and healthy, and watch your diet to lose weight!
Your advice is much appreciated graaja! And congrats on your weight loss. I will start searching for a hybrid on the internets. I took my friend's hybrid for a short ride and I am surprised on how agile it is!

and I just realised 90% of my diet consists of carbs and sugars be it the pasta I eat regularly or the snacks(which I eat too much of). I was under the impression that spending more cals than eating is just enough, incorrectly apparently. I bought the book on amazon now to wait for it to arrive!

I think this will be a good bike for me- Tretwerk Arch 1.0 28"
The Bicycles thread-tretwerk.jpg

Last edited by SreeT : 4th April 2016 at 12:28. Reason: Correcting City bikes to Cross bikes
SreeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 15:37   #3002
BHPian

Guys- Need help

I will be moving to Hyderabad by mid April to study. I have used a cycle upto my 12th in Mumbai (Hercules Bravo 8-12th and one BSA 1-6 th)
I am planning to get a bicycle as soon I am settled in Hyderabad
Need suggestions for a good bike

Usage- Campus to Hostel + local errands
Gears- Required
My Height- 6'3"
Weight- 94 kg
Budget- around 10-15k a cheaper bike is appreciated but didn't find a good one till now.
Suspension- Not a necessity
Brakes- normal brakes will do no need for discs
Seat adjustment- Should be clamp adjustable- My wife is 5'3" hence the requirement
Make- Hero/Hercules (preferably not the Chinese/too expensive ones)

I am keen on one of the Current Hero Octane Series (OCTANE DTB 26T)

Also I need suggestions for a trusted cycle store in Hyderabad who stocks big cycles.

Thanks for all the help in advance
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 14:57   #3003
BHPian

If you can, try and check out the Decathalon range. They are better finished than the Hero Octane bicycles and are very competitively priced too. There is a Decathalon outlet in Hyderabad.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 15:06   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Budget- around 10-15k a cheaper bike is appreciated but didn't find a good one till now.
Suspension- Not a necessity
Brakes- normal brakes will do no need for discs
Seat adjustment- Should be clamp adjustable- My wife is 5'3" hence the requirement
Make- Hero/Hercules (preferably not the Chinese/too expensive ones)

I am keen on one of the Current Hero Octane Series (OCTANE DTB 26T)

Also I need suggestions for a trusted cycle store in Hyderabad who stocks big cycles.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
If you can, try and check out the Decathalon range. They are better finished than the Hero Octane bicycles and are very competitively priced too. There is a Decathalon outlet in Hyderabad.
There are 3 Decathalon stores in Hyd (Shamshabad, Kompally, Uppal). Rockrider5.0 will suit your requirement fine.
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 15:32   #3005
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Need an Upgrade Advice.

Currently, I am riding a 2014 Montra Blues - Size 'M' Hybrid.
Nowadays, I find that I am comfortably able to maintain an average speed of 23-25 kmph on a typical run of 40-50 kms. However, if I try to push this average higher, then somehow the cycle doesn't inspire confidence. I seem to have to spend a lot more additional effort for a slight increase of speed. Moreover, the ride no longer remains relaxed.

So - what are my options here? Should I upgrade the components (presently running Acera), or change my Cycle? I am inclined towards getting myself a road bike, but am worried of that due to my cervical problem and weight.

Some Particulars:
Weight - 89 kg
Height - 174 cms
Cervical - C5 and C6 Disc Bulge
Tummy - Practically a Granary!
Cost Limit - 30k INR

P.S. I don't need a MTB. I have no wish to go off road with a cycle. Long straight Runs on a good road, is what I love doing.
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 16:07   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Guys - Need an Upgrade Advice.
Hi, I am no expert on this matter, but here are my observations based on a few bikes I have ridden of my friends and cycling companions over the past few months. I have an MTB and it is an absolute peach to ride on rough bumpy roads and dirt trails.. Give it a straight tarmac road and I have the same feeling once I'm pushing it to 27-28 kmph, no confidence at all.
On the same road cycling my friend's hybrid( I believe it's a Montra Blues only) I could easily maintain 27-28 kmph and the bike felt at ease and so did I.
Then I tried my other friend's road bike and boy was it like riding in the breeze. Excellent average speeds on the tarmac, and was perfect for the straight roads. For bumpy roads and sharp turns, I found it rather unsettling but it was perhaps a matter of habit, which was lacking from my side as my regular is an MTB.

I'm not sure how far any component upgrade might take you, and if the doctor or some expert gives the go ahead for a road bike, I suggest you go for a road bike only, as that will be a substantial upgrade and is perfect for smooth tarmac stretches.
Samar117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 16:11   #3007
BHPian

For higher speeds, there are a few contributors. 1. Foot retention. If you use clipless pedals you can pull the pedals as well as push. That increases speed noticeably. 1. Aerodynamic posture. Drop handlebars allow you to ride in the drops when you want to go faster. 3. Lightweight components. Road bikes usually have 23mm wide tires and alloy rims. The wheels on their own contribute substantially to higher speeds.

25kmph over 50 km is a nice pace. Now you are venturing into road bike territory. But, considering your issue with your spine, check with a sports doctor before you ride in the drops. Also, for a reliable road bike, the budget may need stretching. Unless you are prepared to ride a single speed, maybe something like a track bike.
Old 5th April 2016, 22:43   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, if I fall off on the tarmac & got a slight superficial scratch, do I need to take a shot of tetanus ?

Local clinic is closed now at 10:40pm, asking coz I'm not sure if it's urgently necessary.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th April 2016 at 22:44.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:48   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi guys, if I fall off on the tarmac & got a slight superficial scratch, do I need to take a shot of tetanus ?
Am no expert but typhoid and lepto are possible risks too. you can take tetanus within 24 hrs per my knowledge for it to be effective. Hopefully you get replies from a doc as well!
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 22:52   #3010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Local clinic is closed now at 10:40pm, asking coz I'm not sure if it's urgently necessary.
Always a good thing to do. Get it done in the morning.

For now wash the scratch with hydrogen peroxide. Do not cover these kind of wounds unless they are leaking fluids.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 00:15   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am no expert but typhoid and lepto are possible risks too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Always a good thing to do. Get it done in the morning.
Thanks guys, washed & cleaned up then applied Dettol. Will get a shot tomorrow.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 09:18   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For higher speeds, there are a few contributors. 1. Foot retention. If you use clipless pedals you can pull the pedals as well as push. That increases speed noticeably. 1. Aerodynamic posture. Drop handlebars allow you to ride in the drops when you want to go faster. 3. Lightweight components. Road bikes usually have 23mm wide tires and alloy rims. The wheels on their own contribute substantially to higher speeds.
Thank You. This gives me some short term and lower cost ideas on how to approach my problem. I will start with Clipless Pedals and see how that goes. If that goes well, I will tackle the tyres and rims.

Quote:
Also, for a reliable road bike, the budget may need stretching. Unless you are prepared to ride a single speed, maybe something like a track bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
I'm not sure how far any component upgrade might take you, and if the doctor or some expert gives the go ahead for a road bike, I suggest you go for a road bike only, as that will be a substantial upgrade and is perfect for smooth tarmac stretches.
I will first try the points above and see how it goes. If these changes allow me to increase my average speed to 27-30 kmph, I think I would be satisfied. If not, then I will dispose off the Montra and look for a Road Bike. However, a Single Speed is not my thing, since I won't be riding it on a track.

Thanks Gentlemen.
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 16:55   #3013
BHPian

Hi fellow cyclists, I have been going through the posts here for sometime now and would like raise some queries on certain points. I ride a B-Twin (being my first bike, didn't want splurge much), been riding the same for 3 months now.

I use Strava to record my rides, funny thing is that the max speed shows 55 kmph although I never thought I can/ I ride that fast, so the doubt whether Strava is mapping my speeds correctly? Any other app that I can consider?

Secondly, read a lot of discussions on how hy-brid tires (thin profile tires) offer less rolling resistance, hence better for riding. Is there a possibility of changing my MTB tires and replacing them with the skinny types? Will it require changing the wheel as well?

Eagerly awaiting answers/ suggestions :-)
yaniv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 17:14   #3014
BHPian

Are you using Strava app on your phone? In that case, there might be chances of the GPS link failing at times (heavy tree cover etc) and then an error showing up when it reconnects. Having said that, 55 kmph is quite easily achieved going downhill.

When you say skinny, how skinny are you thinking? I have used 1.25 inch tires on mtb rims but that too is not very safe if you are going around sharp corners. It is best to get narrower rims.
Old 25th April 2016, 15:41   #3015
BHPian

This is my cycle which was bought in 1999.

I used it to go for tuitions, for shopping at the nearby junctions, going to church, hanging out with friends, racing, having fun.

But as I turned 18 and got my license, the cycle was rarely used and was relegated to a spot behind my home where it weathered all sun, rain all that nature threw at it.

Until.... A couple of months back when I suddenly had the urge to restore it.

Finally she's back with me and I hope to recreate that magical feeling of cycling with the wind blowing through my hair.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ramon : 25th April 2016 at 15:44.
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote