Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th May 2016, 19:03   #3031
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Saw a very large group at NCPA early this morning - there were folks from all over town. Amazing that there are so many cyclists in Bombay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I passed many of the riders as I was finishing my morning ride.

You are right about the number of cyclists in the city. When I started riding (four years ago) there used to be just a couple of other riders seen between 5 am to 6 am. Over the past year or so, this number has grown many fold.
It was a Cyclists Reunion ride. I believe it was the second year when this was organized. We rode from Vashi to Bandra where we met up at California Pizza Kitchen in BKC at 5:45am. Ride started at 6am from there to NCPA. Almost 400 riders had turned up I was told. It was a total of 71 kms for me point to point. Excellent fun ride though as I always wanted to do the Peddar Road climb personally.

I agree and this is a great trend that the number of cyclists are going up.
miharbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 19:25   #3032
BHPian

Hi,
Around budget of 20K for an hybrid I can think of Firefox or Montra. Which do you think is better?
Any good shops in Bangalore apart from decathlon. Planning to visit few shops in the weekend.
prabhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 07:15   #3033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Hi,
Around budget of 20K for an hybrid I can think of Firefox or Montra. Which do you think is better?
Any good shops in Bangalore apart from decathlon. Planning to visit few shops in the weekend.
Montra, in general, has better reviews, but Firefox offers a better warranty. If I was in your shoes, I would raise my budget a little and get a Schwinn Super Sport 3.

https://trackandtrail.in/index.php?o...t-3&Itemid=177
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 11:31   #3034
BHPian

My recent (borrowed) acquisition. After my run in with a garbage truck, I stopped commuting to work on my cycle. That was a year ago. Now I'm ready to go back to cycling around Bandra.

Will still refrain from commuting to work on this, especially with the heat here in Bombay.

A quick question: why don't imported bikes come with a stand? It's a pain trying to find a lamppost to park it against and lock it up. Also, no bell. Need to order one off Flipkart.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1462600869319.jpg  

Last edited by djpeesh : 7th May 2016 at 11:33.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 18:00   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Montra, in general, has better reviews, but Firefox offers a better warranty. If I was in your shoes, I would raise my budget a little and get a Schwinn Super Sport 3.

https://trackandtrail.in/index.php?o...t-3&Itemid=177
Will definitely have a look at it. Firefox Momentum 700C is almost same price as Schwinn SS3. Which do you think is better? Since am new to cycling finding difficult to understand the specs
Old 7th May 2016, 21:51   #3036
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will definitely have a look at it. Firefox Momentum 700C is almost same price as Schwinn SS3. Which do you think is better? Since am new to cycling finding difficult to understand the specs
Schwinn any day! Go have a look at it. I'm sure that the Schwinn has a better frame. While the Firefox uses a better drivetrain, the SS3 will be lighter and better built with better components. You don't really need a front suspension, which the Momentum has. It will just slow you down. Again, I'm not sure about the Momentum's disc brakes either. Additionally, Firefox reviews have been a mixed bag.
Old 9th May 2016, 12:56   #3037
BHPian

Hi,
What do you think about UT bikes. Had a look at them yesterday and they look to be great value buy. Had a short test ride too and looked promising.
Saw few Merida bikes, looked very stylish but comes with a cost.
There are so many options in the market. Is the fact that "more you spend the better bike you get" is true? Or some are expensive just for their brand value?
Old 9th May 2016, 13:24   #3038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
....A quick question: why don't imported bikes come with a stand? It's a pain trying to find a lamppost to park it against and lock it up. Also, no bell. Need to order one off Flipkart.
If your bike is expensive, it will be more likely to attract thieves. So if you are going to leave it somewhere, leaving it on a stand is much riskier than locking it against a lamppost. Further, if you are riding in a group, a stand can cause trouble if someone riding behind catches his front wheel spokes in the stand.

To make theft difficult, for riding to the local grocer I use a fixed gear bike which if you are not prepared, can be very disconcerting to climb on and pedal away. My road bikes are never left out of sight.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 9th May 2016 at 13:25.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 15:00   #3039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,
What do you think about UT bikes. Had a look at them yesterday and they look to be great value buy. Had a short test ride too and looked promising.
Seen these at a store. The guy there told me UT is a branch of Hero. I've never seen anyone riding a UT though.

Quote:
Saw few Merida bikes, looked very stylish but comes with a cost.
It's a good brand.

Quote:
Is the fact that "more you spend the better bike you get" is true? Or some are expensive just for their brand value?
It's a bit of both. In general, more expensive bikes are lighter, better built and use better quality components. They are also likely to last longer, provided they don't meet with an accident.

Of course, you have to draw a line considering your needs and budget. But, always buy something that you feel will be safe enough to pass on to someone when you want to upgrade. Buy quality.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2016 at 15:04.
Old 10th May 2016, 14:28   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Of course, you have to draw a line considering your needs and budget. But, always buy something that you feel will be safe enough to pass on to someone when you want to upgrade. Buy quality.
After a lot of thought and speaking to few experts in cycling have zeroed in on Schwinn Super Sport 2D - 2016 and Fuji Absolute 1.9 Disc

Anybody here owns these, feedback will be useful in selecting one.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:19   #3041

I have a Jamis Nova Sport 2015 model cyclocross bike here in the UK. I will be relocating to Pune soon and currently, I am in a dilemma whether to sell the bike or carry it back.

The reasons

1. Luggage - 150. This is fixed Air India charges.

2. Import duty - A colleague of mine took his bike back and was not charged any duties on the same. May be a one-off case but still. Will it attract 30% duty on the depreciated value?.

3. Availability of spares - Checked Amazon.in and couldnt find any Jamis related spares or stock tyres (Vittoria 32c) for my bike. Is it ok to use tyres from other manufacturers without any issues?. If I choose to import, is it a viable option?

4. Are multi brand shops in Pune good enough to service the bikes. I normally do the basic servicing myself but for any other issues, any good shops?.

I really like the bike and throughly enjoyed riding it over long distances in the summers here. Even though I don't know how much will I cycle back in India (purely recreational), just want to understand which makes better sense. Difficult decision difficult time.

Cheers,
A
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:17   #3042
BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of thought and speaking to few experts in cycling have zeroed in on Schwinn Super Sport 2D - 2016 and Fuji Absolute 1.9 Disc

Anybody here owns these, feedback will be useful in selecting one.
While I do not own any of these bikes, I have a Fuji road bike - Altamira 3.0, and I have inspected other Fuji road bikes, I would definitely vouch for Fuji quality.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:36   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
I have a Jamis Nova Sport 2015 model cyclocross bike here in the UK. I will be relocating to Pune soon and currently, I am in a dilemma whether to sell the bike or carry it back.

The reasons

1. Luggage - 150. This is fixed Air India charges.

2. Import duty - A colleague of mine took his bike back and was not charged any duties on the same. May be a one-off case but still. Will it attract 30% duty on the depreciated value?.

3. Availability of spares - Checked Amazon.in and couldnt find any Jamis related spares or stock tyres (Vittoria 32c) for my bike. Is it ok to use tyres from other manufacturers without any issues?. If I choose to import, is it a viable option?

4. Are multi brand shops in Pune good enough to service the bikes. I normally do the basic servicing myself but for any other issues, any good shops?.

I really like the bike and throughly enjoyed riding it over long distances in the summers here. Even though I don't know how much will I cycle back in India (purely recreational), just want to understand which makes better sense. Difficult decision difficult time.

Cheers,
A
Bicycles in India cost a substantial amount more than in Europe or even the US, mainly due to import duties. If you were to import your Jamis Nova Sport into India, its import duty would probably in the range of Rs 13-15k.

About bringing the bike with you, I know of friends who have brought old or even brand new bikes with them as luggage into India and not been asked to pay duty. Most spares are quite readily available in India. Of course, if you are looking for Campagnolo derailleurs etc, you may need to wait, but if it is Shimano, or even SRAM to some extent, you can buy off the shelf. Tires and tubes, you can use any make without any issue. I have bought tires from local shops as well as imported through Evans or Wiggle. For service, I am not sure about Pune, but going by the level of reliability of Bombay shops, you will probably find one or two in Pune who are reliable. I do most of my servicing myself. I enjoy it, plus the distance is a hassle. Bicycling in Pune is more popular than it is in Bombay, and I am sure you will be able to seek out like minded folks to keep your nice hobby alive.

In fact, you might even consider investing in a carbon bike with high end components and save the customs duty.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 10th May 2016 at 17:46.
Old 10th May 2016, 18:41   #3044

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Bicycles in India cost a substantial amount more than in Europe or even the US,....

... I know of friends who have brought old or even brand new bikes with them as luggage into India and not been asked to pay duty. ....

Most spares are quite readily available in India. ...

Bicycling in Pune is more popular than it is in Bombay, and I am sure you will be able to seek out like minded folks to keep your nice hobby alive.

In fact, you might even consider investing in a carbon bike with high end components and save the customs duty.
Thanks for a quick reply and suggestions. In fact, the factors highlighted above, it should be a no brainer to carry my bike back to India. I will explore options of riding (group/solo) afterwards.
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 16:30   #3045
Team-BHP Support

A cousin is looking to buy his 11 year old son a bicycle. What are the things to look out for, features etc ? Suggestions ?

It will be nice if it is cycle that can be used by both father and son !

Budget - 10k
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote