Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th May 2016, 17:53   #3046
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A cousin is looking to buy his 11 year old son a bicycle. What are the things to look out for, features etc ? Suggestions ?

It will be nice if it is cycle that can be used by both father and son !

Budget - 10k
Bicycle frames come in different sizes. A short person requires a smaller frame. In fact, high end bicycles are manufactured in even as little as 1 cm increments of frame sizes.

If the 11 year old and his father (I assume their heights differ by at least a foot) were to ride the same bicycle, either both or at least one of them would b riding an unsuitably set up bike.

I suppose they are looking to do short joyrides. Any steel or aluminium alloy frame would do. Alloy would be lighter but harsher in feel. Single speed would be just fine. No suspension, either front or rear.

The 11 year old would require shorter reach (gap between saddle and handlebars) and a lower saddle. While the reach is not easy to keep switching, saddle height can be quickly adjusted if the seat post comes with a quick release lever.

Finally I would say getting a single bicycle for both would be a major compromise and one of the two may end up not finding cycling at all interesting.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 17:59   #3047
Team-BHP Support

Hmmmm... Thanks. Assume that if it were only for the kid then, which brands do you recommend ?

I have heard only of firefox, but not sure how much it costs
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 22:32   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have access to Expresso bikes in their gym? http://expresso.com/Home
The YMCA gym that I go to has a few of them and I love getting a good workout on them. They have 4 levels of courses : Basic, Moderate, Challenging and Extreme.
Apart from that, I am told that you can have an online race with others as well. And there are some games based workouts as well.
What I love about this bike is that I can create my own rider ID and then track my progress, calories burnt, miles logged etc. Here is a snapshot from my last workout:
Name:  Last ride.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  44.3 KB

And you can compare how well you did with the riders from your gym or globally:
The Bicycles thread-leaderboard.jpg

It is of course not the same as actually riding a bike. For example, there is no coasting on the downhills. You have to keep pushing but the effort will be lesser, of course. Also, you can adjust the seat height and fore-aft positioning of the seat and that's about it. But it does serve as a nice alternative when the weather doesn't allow you to ride your bike outside.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:54   #3049
BHPian

^^For that matter you can get an indoor trainer for the cycle.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 17:27   #3050
BHPian

Fellow Bhp-ians,

I loved cycling in my school days, and still remember myself riding my Hero Hawk for countless hours every evening in Chandigarh. I used to ride on the lake road from my House in sector 8. I remember, my daily rider always used to cross 20kms at that time and how much i loved that and how fit I was back then.

Fast forward to 2016 (12 Years), I am fat (112 Kg) and stand tall at 6'2". Every time I see people cycling early morning in Noida my urge to cycle comes back. I am sure I will resume cycling in the next months, and I have a Decathlon Showroom right next to my flat here in Indirapuram (NCR). However, I am very hesitant to go their with all my flab around and make fun of myself. I wonder if their are cycles that will fit me and not get crushed under my mammoth weight. Is their any online option available to buy a bike ? Which are the good companies nowadays, whose bikes will not get crushed under me ?
BB311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 21:15   #3051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Fellow Bhp-ians,

I loved cycling in my school days, and still remember myself riding my Hero Hawk for countless hours every evening in Chandigarh. I used to ride on the lake road from my House in sector 8. I remember, my daily rider always used to cross 20kms at that time and how much i loved that and how fit I was back then.

Fast forward to 2016 (12 Years), I am fat (112 Kg) and stand tall at 6'2". Every time I see people cycling early morning in Noida my urge to cycle comes back. I am sure I will resume cycling in the next months, and I have a Decathlon Showroom right next to my flat here in Indirapuram (NCR). However, I am very hesitant to go their with all my flab around and make fun of myself. I wonder if their are cycles that will fit me and not get crushed under my mammoth weight. Is their any online option available to buy a bike ? Which are the good companies nowadays, whose bikes will not get crushed under me ?
Dear Sir - I am part of the gang of cyclists in Indirapuram and we do 25-30 km rides on weekdays and more on weekends. Look up ICC on FB or PM me.
I started out in a similar condition as you, and am now considerably lighter.
The staff at the Decathlon outlet here are truly helpful and supportive. Speak with Sandeep/Rehaan/Nishant, and they will guide you well. Or, I can come along and help you kick start this habit.
All the best.
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 21:23   #3052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
^^For that matter you can get an indoor trainer for the cycle.
Yeah but it won't have the benefit of comparing your performance with others, like this one.

Anyway, yesterday I did a 24 mile ride with a group of cyclists here. Last year when I did this, i was laid out with lower back pain for a few days That was in the fall season. Since then i have been spending time in the gym to strengthen my core, lower back, upper back as well as legs. I am hoping that all that time and effort has paid off and that yesterday's ride has not done the same amount of damage as last year. Will be watching my back for the next 48 hours.

Last edited by amitoj : 13th May 2016 at 21:26.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 10:44   #3053
BHPian

^^You get software for the PC which connects to the Ant+ sensors on the bike like speed cadence power. The most popular one is Zwift.
Old 14th May 2016, 11:43   #3054
BHPian

Hi all,

Has anybody bought bicycles from Online stores like Snapdeal, flipkart, Amazon, etc.? I have a few questions regarding the same:
  1. Is the bicycle fully assembled at delivery? Do we need to get it assembled elsewhere?
  2. What was the general condition of the cycle at delivery? Anything bent/broken?
  3. If anything was damagedm has anyone tried the return/refun/repair policy from these sellers?
  4. Anything else I should worry about?

I'm asking because I'm looking at a single speed cycle and none of the stores near my place seem to have that in stock. I dont want to spend mega bucks on the cycle as I don't know if I will be using it or not. All the stores around have cycles starting at 8-9K which is overkill for my requirements.
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 12:09   #3055
BHPian

Eddy

Bought a Hercules Roadeo Hardliner bicycle for my 10 year old son, WE both use it comfortably without any seat adjustment, I am 5 10 and my son is 4 5.
Has 18 gears even though we use the middle ones as the roads are flat in my area, Sonny learnt the gear system in a couple of minutes..

It costed around 10500 in a shop in Dr. Rajkumar Road, Its the same price online, but the shop guy threw in a few freebie.

DoNotHorn
DoNotHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 12:26   #3056
BHPian

Stay away from buying online
1) The bike is not fully assembled
2) Sis had ordered a bike from snapdeal & the quick release skewer was missing & took a good 10 ten days to get it.
4) The main worry I would say is bike fit,in the stores at least you can get a general bike fit done.
Old 14th May 2016, 12:44   #3057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Eddy

Bought a Hercules Roadeo Hardliner bicycle for my 10 year old son, WE both use it comfortably without any seat adjustment, I am 5 10 and my son is 4 5.
Has 18 gears even though we use the middle ones as the roads are flat in my area, Sonny learnt the gear system in a couple of minutes..

It costed around 10500 in a shop in Dr. Rajkumar Road, Its the same price online, but the shop guy threw in a few freebie.

DoNotHorn
Thanks for the recommendation. Is this the one that you bought ?

http://myroadeo.com/hardliner/
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 13:20   #3058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

http://myroadeo.com/hardliner/
Not any Roadeo. Consider BTWin MyBike IMHO. Lots of discussion on this earlier.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 10:36   #3059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Does anyone have access to Expresso bikes in their gym? http://expresso.com/Home
The YMCA gym that I go to has a few of them and I love getting a good workout on them....
....It is of course not the same as actually riding a bike. For example, there is no coasting on the downhills. You have to keep pushing but the effort will be lesser, of course. Also, you can adjust the seat height and fore-aft positioning of the seat and that's about it. But it does serve as a nice alternative when the weather doesn't allow you to ride your bike outside.
I do have both a trainer and a set of rollers at home. The trainer attaches to the rear wheel of the bicycle and you pedal along. This has magnetic resistance control so that you can increase or decrease your effort. The rollers simply allow you to ride your bicycle on them. You need to ride very steadily and any sudden handlebar movement can throw you off balance. You can find many workouts on youtube or the net, which you can watch and copy on your trainer. You can even find some workouts for the rollers.

However, nothing beats riding on the road.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 10:57   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Not any Roadeo. Consider BTWin MyBike IMHO. Lots of discussion on this earlier.
Or MyBike 7s. It is same as mybike, but has some goodies (forgot which) and has 7 gears. It is more futureproof. I bought it from PayTM (seller was sports365) and the cycle was received in Pune in good packing. The assembly is simple if you have the spanners, or else you have to purchase the spanners. Both the bikes are very easy to assemble. Make sure you buy correct size. I am 5'8-5'9, and I had purchased L size, assuming it was same as clothes! But then I had to send it back and get Medium size, as L was too large.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote