Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st June 2016, 08:32   #3091
AWD
BANNED

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
there is another model RR300 which is priced at 10000.

Assuming that 7s can help me explore countryside(rough roads) and cover 10-20 kms without much fuss.

Which saddle are you using ? I felt the btwin default saddles are really a pain in the *** for even few min of riding. They do have some saddles costing 1K or so. Any experience ?
Yes that's what I was talking about but had the model name slipped mind.

So you could either start off with MyBike 7s or 300. Is the 300 a RR

I've used a variety of saddles. You could keep using the stock for a while, when it starts feeling uncomfy, fix a gel pad over it. If things still don't improve, there's a wide comfort saddle available. Let me know if you want one, I have one lying free with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Hi Rajshenoy, I agree with AWD about the BTwin 7s.
changing the handlebar and stem, and adding a pannier rack. I use bags on the rack when required, and a baby seat when I take my son on rides. See attached photos.
Yup 7s suffices if one is not doing long rides.

The mods you've done are good. Is that handle bar from Btwin ? Is it the pannier rack Bclip ? I've got one too. Those are a set of pannier bags, 9L each ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 09:40   #3092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
The mods you've done are good. Is that handle bar from Btwin ? Is it the pannier rack Bclip ? I've got one too. Those are a set of pannier bags, 9L each ?
Thanks. The handlebar is a Kalloy, bought via ebay.com, it came from Taiwan. And yes, the pannier rack is a Bclip from BTwin; and the bags are indeed 9 litres each, also from BTwin.
flotsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 09:54   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Thanks AWD once again, and thanks flotsam. I guess i will go with 7s for now and may not need any accessories to start with (May be that gel seat cover and mud flaps for monsoons)

RR300 many say is just a rebranded RR 5.0 I am not an expert here, but for extra 2K i ll get RR brand and front gears 3x . Rest looks pretty same between 7s and RR300.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 12:12   #3094
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
Thanks. The handlebar is a Kalloy, bought via ebay.com, it came from Taiwan. And yes, the pannier rack is a Bclip from BTwin; and the bags are indeed 9 litres each, also from BTwin.
If comfort is a priority, try handlebars from a hybrid bike. As such seating posture is a bit aggressive on the MyBike series.
I had been eyeing those 9L bags since some time now & have a Bclip pannier already. Using bigger bags (15L) on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks AWD. I guess i will go with 7s for

RR300 many say is just a rebranded RR 5.0
Welcome & all the best on your new ride.

Is it a rebranded 5.0 ? I think isn't the 340 also known as 5.0 ? Not sure on this though.

Btw Im facing an issue on the Raleigh Converge folding bike that Im using. The seat post tends to get bent after prolonged usage. The seatpost dia. is 27.2mm. Could someone suggest a good aftermarket solution for the seatpost problem. Its an Alloy seatpost. Also what length would be suitable ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 15:03   #3095
BHPian

A VanMoof has crept up on my radar. Planning to source this bike somehow. Look it up guys, its really something, and the future of Bicycling.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-vanmoof.jpg  

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 16:24   #3096
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
A VanMoof has crept up on my radar. Planning to source this bike somehow. Look it up guys, its really something, and the future of Bicycling.
Where is it available. Looks like it is fitted with hub gears. I wonder why bikes with hub gears are not popular in India.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 12:08   #3097
BHPian

Its available in Amsterdam as of now. Batteries are cleverly concealed in the pipes, giving additional pedal power and the cycle is SMART with location assist/locking etc. Google it.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:02   #3098
BHPian

Guys - Thanks to all for guiding me earlier, on upgrading my Montra Blues 1.1, for better performance. Based on the suggestions I received here, I had installed and benefited hugely, from the Clip-less pedals and cleats; however, the itch to upgrade to something fundamentally faster didn't die!
So, I had been speaking with other fellow riders and scouring the internet forums for Roadie recommendations. Based on what I was reading, I had shortlisted a few Roadies, with the intention of acquiring them sometime towards the third quarter of this year.

But, this weekend, while strolling around GIP Noida, which also houses the Decathlon store, I found one of my candidate upgrades - the Triban 5, to be on sale, at a discount of Rs. 6000. And, consider my surprise, that they had a 54 size available, but it was only for that day, since it was their second anniversary.

A quick check with my wife, followed by a basic Bike Fit check, and I was walking out of Decathlon with my Upgrade about an hour later.

I have, so far, ridden her around 70 kms and the experience is a world apart from my earlier Montra (which I still retain).

The first day was a challenge, in NOT falling off.

The Second day was better and I revised my seat post upwards by around 3 more inches, as I got more comfortable with the riding position.

The Third day, i.e today, began well. We rode around 15 km to our usual turn-back point, and the bike was bedding in with me nicely. But then, things went South. I made a poor choice of roads on the way back, and followed a detour that a guy riding a RR-520 took. That surface was bad, full of potholes and sharp stones, and within 100 meters, I had, NOT one but both tires punctured! I had 1 spare tube, but not 2, so eventually had to hail an auto-rickshaw and return home.

This leads to my question - Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are! I need an upgrade, and urgently so. My priority would be to get a set of training tires, which are reasonably priced and offer good grip and puncture resistance. Where can I pick these up, in Delhi or Noida? Please help.

Last edited by roy_libran : 2nd June 2016 at 14:03.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:40   #3099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are!
Are you sure you were running the right tire pressure? whats the stock tire size? Or was it a case of cycle just standing on the shop floor with an inflated for a long time and not being moved thus damaging a part of the tire/tube.

I had 700 32 on my hybrid bike. I used to run 90 psi and never had a flat. After 12-15 month of good use, I could see the tires getting old and the tread depth had reduced. One day I saw that the side walls had developed a crack, I also got a puncture on the side of the tube. Thats when I replaced the back tire. In a few weeks had to replace the front tire as well due to a a similar issue. The OEM were Kenda make.

I now run 35 section tires. I needs a bit more effort, but the cushioning is much better.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd June 2016 at 15:13. Reason: Typo. :)
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:02   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Are you sure you were running the right tire pressure? whats the stock tire size? Or was it a case of cycle just standing on the shop floor with an inflated for a long time and not being moved thus damaging a part of the tire/tube.

I had 700 32 on my hybrid bike. I used to run 90 psi and never had a flat. After 12-15 month of good use, I could see the tires getting old and the tread depth had reduced. One day I saw that the side walls had developed a crack, I also got a puncture on the side of the tube. Thats when I replaced the back tire. In a few weeks had to replace the front tire as well due to a a similar issue. The OEM were Kenda make.

I now run 35 section tires. I needs a bit more effort, but the cushioning is much better.
The bike I bought, was on a rack, and not installed with pedals, seat etc.
So, my assumption would be that the cycle would not have been standing on the floor at all.

The bike was reconfigured by the Decathlon guys, on Tuesday evening, for some changes that I requested, and they also rechecked the air pressure for 100 psi, so that should not be something that went wrong, in 2 days!

The tire size is 700c x 23mm unless I am mistaken.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd June 2016 at 15:13. Reason: typo :)
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:10   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
The bike I bought, was on a rack, and not installed with pedals, seat etc.
So, my assumption would be that the cycle would not have been standing on the floor at all.

The bike was reconfigured by the Decathlon guys, on Tuesday evening, for some changes that I requested, and they also rechecked the air pressure for 100 psi, so that should not be something that went wrong, in 2 days!

The tire size is 700c x 23mm unless I am mistaken.
Ack. 23 section will take a serious hit with sharp stones etc.
I find anything less than 32 to be uncomfortable and too harsh to ride. If you are going to use this for commuting on roads with bad sections, consider a broader tire. You will lose a bit of speed and pickup, but gain in comfort.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:37   #3102
BHPian

I'm back .

Its been a wonderful time for me, cycling along the beautiful country side here in Sweden(close to 5000 kilometers in 2 years). I thought of upgrading to a road bike last year, but then, I wasn't sure for how long I will stay back here. But now, it looks like I will be here for the next seven years at least.

So, I dropped by to this beautiful Bianchi showroom I have set aside a reasonable budget of 20,000 SEK for the bike and wearables. Garmin and the rest will follow.

So, I am a complete noob when it comes to the roadbike. Will be helpful, if you can give me pointers, so that I won't make any blunders.

EDIT: I forgot click pictures, next time, I will and upload it here.

Last edited by ecenandu : 2nd June 2016 at 15:56.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:41   #3103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This leads to my question - Notwithstanding the poor choice of road, that I intend (hope) not to repeat, I also amply realize just how bad the stock Kendas are! I need an upgrade, and urgently so. My priority would be to get a set of training tires, which are reasonably priced and offer good grip and puncture resistance. Where can I pick these up, in Delhi or Noida? Please help.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

-- I have forgotten what punctures feel like, since Nov 2012 and almost 7000km since.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:46   #3104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A cousin is looking to buy his 11 year old son a bicycle. What are the things to look out for, features etc ? Suggestions ?

It will be nice if it is cycle that can be used by both father and son !

Budget - 10k
Update - Ended up buying a BTwin bike from Decathalon for about 9.x k

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:48   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Ack. 23 section will take a serious hit with sharp stones etc.
I find anything less than 32 to be uncomfortable and too harsh to ride. If you are going to use this for commuting on roads with bad sections, consider a broader tire. You will lose a bit of speed and pickup, but gain in comfort.
I am fine with the section of the tires and the ride. In fact I removed the Gel seat that I was using for my Hybrid, once I moved to the Roadie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Schwalbe Marathon Plus

-- I have forgotten what punctures feel like, since Nov 2012 and almost 7000km since.
Thanks a ton Hits. Where would I be able to pick one up, and for how much?