The Bicycles thread-img_6922.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_6924.jpg

Will follow up with the price list.

EDIT:

The Bicycles thread-img_6928.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6929.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6930.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_6931.jpg

Last edited by ecenandu : 2nd June 2016 at 17:53.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:51   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
So here are the pictures as promised.
Within the models you have posted, if you can stretch your budget by another 2000+ SEK, I would suggest the Intenso Ultegra, which is a full carbon frame and Ultegra is a fantastic groupset.

Impulso 105 is also a good choice with an alloy frame and carbon fork. You can invest the saved 5000+ SEK in good accessories like Garmin GPS, pedals etc.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:41   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Within the models you have posted, if you can stretch your budget by another 2000+ SEK, I would suggest the Intenso Ultegra, which is a full carbon frame and Ultegra is a fantastic groupset.

Impulso 105 is also a good choice with an alloy frame and carbon fork. You can invest the saved 5000+ SEK in good accessories like Garmin GPS, pedals etc.
Intenso Ultegra is 25,995 SEK, which is quite a stretch.

Most likely it is going to be Impulso 105.

Pedals and shoes, they will give it for free depending on which bike you buy.
Old 2nd June 2016, 21:38   #3109
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Its been long I have been thinking of taking the plunge of getting one of these bikes. So I had been researching and reading about bikes for the past few days. I am still a noob but I distinctly remember how much I loved bikes when I was in school. Ranger Swing was one of the bikes that made me drool but my parents never got me one fearing its unsafe.

Present Day:

My mom still thinks its unsafe but I feel I should get one soon and the most important reason being fitness. I want to get fit. I really do.

So that got me thinking which bike should I get- Mountain or Road?

I am based out of Kolkata, but I have a few projects going on in Dhaka and there is a nice Giant Bicycles store here. So I decided to pay a visit just to check out what Giant is all about. I had never heard about Giant. It turned out to be a decent visit. It seems Giant is a pretty big brand. You guys would know better. The sale guys explained a lot of things. However, Giant is EXPENSIVE and I dont intend to spend 40K on bikes.

My budget: 20K max.

2 reasons for not going for Road Bikes:-

1) I dont think there are any Road Bikes available at this range.
2) Tires. I have to ask this. How do we ride on those sleek tires on Indian roads. Wont we fall more often? I guess that is why we see more mountain bikes on Indian city roads.

So my quest for the perfect bike has not yet ended. I want a good bike so that I can keep it for some time. I dont intend to upgrade in the near future (read 5 years). If needed I can stretch a little if its a really good bike. One bike that has crawled into my list is RR 340 for 15K. Please let me know what else I can get in this range.

Also since my primary motive is fitness, are mountain bikes any good compared to road bikes?

P.S: For cyclists in Kolkata, please let me know if there are any groups I can join.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd June 2016 at 21:41.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:39   #3110
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
that got me thinking which bike should I get- Mountain or Road?
Giant is EXPENSIVE and I dont intend to spend 40K on bikes.
20K max.
RR 340 for 15K.
my primary motive is fitness, are mountain bikes any good compared to road bikes?
I'd actually suggest a Hybrid for fitness purposes. Try Btwin Original or Riverside series.

RR340 is a good bike, I have this one along with a Giant Revel0 29er.

Road Bikes are for racing purposes or doing very long distances. Mountain bikes are for trails. Your best bet for fitness would be Hybrids. I've sort of converted my 340 to a Hybrid with an adjustable Handlebar & a comfy saddle.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:28   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I'd actually suggest a Hybrid for fitness purposes. Try Btwin Original or Riverside series.

RR340 is a good bike, I have this one along with a Giant Revel0 29er.

Road Bikes are for racing purposes or doing very long distances. Mountain bikes are for trails. Your best bet for fitness would be Hybrids. I've sort of converted my 340 to a Hybrid with an adjustable Handlebar & a comfy saddle.
I looked up both the bikes you mentioned. Can you share how much the Riverside series costs? I could not find the prices online.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:09   #3112
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
how much the Riverside series costs? I could not find the prices online.
Haven't checked the prices lately but from what I remember Riverside costs ~20-25k & Original somewhere around 20k.

You could also check these bikes in the used market & land up with a good deal. As such Btwin network is good so repairs maintenance are cheap & easy if required.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:37   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't checked the prices lately but from what I remember Riverside costs ~20-25k & Original somewhere around 20k.

You could also check these bikes in the used market & land up with a good deal. As such Btwin network is good so repairs maintenance are cheap & easy if required.

I would like to check out the used market but here in Kolkata I am not sure where to start from. I will pay a visit to the decathlon store that has opened here.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:42   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Riverside series now seems to have lesser options than it used to. Some popular variants have been discontinued. In my opinion, Riverside series bikes are a great buy, even used!
Somehow, it seems that Decathlon wants more people to buy MTBs, particularly the RR 5x series than Riversides.
The Original series, on the other hand, is too comfort oriented, in my opinion. They are heavier and slower, but very well built. Won't recommend this series to anyone who wants to take to cycling seriously.

By the way - as a finishing note to my previous query on tyres, I ended up ordering "SCHWALBE MARATHON PLUS" from BOTS, based on Phamilyman's recommendations and tons of online reviews. Thanks!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:49   #3115
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
I would like to check out the used market but here in Kolkata I will pay a visit to the decathlon store
Ask people in riding groups in your City. Yes try out to see which suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Decathlon wants more people to buy MTBs, particularly the RR 5x series than Riversides.
The Original series, on the other hand, is too comfort oriented, in my opinion.
A reason for that is more demand for MTBs, people here haven't really taken up to the Hybrids.

Yes Original is for leisure biking, offers maximum comfort. Can be used for fitness purposes as one can do 15-20kms easily on it. Advantage is that one sits straight on this bike as opposed to a crouched or an aggressive riding posture on MTBs. So riding becomes very relaxed & comfortable. Also it comes with a Gel saddle & the handle bar is very ergonomic, rear suspension means bumps are soaked nicely.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:54   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I am a complete noob when it comes to the roadbike. Will be helpful, if you can give me pointers, so that I won't make any blunders.
Any more pointers guys?

Regarding pedals, shoes, etc?
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:21   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding pedals, shoes, etc?
There are two types of clipless pedals/shoes, SPD and SPD-SL.

SPD-SL pedals/shoes have a broader platform and are good for better power transfer. But at the same time it is very inconvenient to walk with these shoes. You will have to walk on the tip of the toe. Unless your goal is to race, I would not suggest these pedals.

SPD pedals/shoes are more convenient They provide the power transfer of a clipless pedal and at the same time let you walk normally. If you want to ride long distances and be able to get down and walk around normally - say to grab a cup of coffee or some food, then SPD is the way to go.

While selecting shoes, get the ones that have a stiff sole. Low cost shoes have softer soles which flex a lot while riding and are not great for long distances.
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:24   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While selecting shoes, get the ones that have a stiff sole. Low cost shoes have softer soles which flex a lot while riding and are not great for long distances.
Thank you, I will go for SPD pedals from Shimano, IIRC it was 600 SEK, there was better one, in terms of finish which was 900 SEK. I will go for the cheaper one.

While selecting the shoes, I will select the one with stiffer sole.

Other accessories.

To buy with the bike
Saddle bag(?) to carry tools, spare tube.
Hand pump.

Future
Garmin 810 (will buy in September)
Mobile pouch, have seen one in the showroom, will post the picture once I get my bike.

Anything else, guys?

BTW, graaja, I remember you posting a picture of your bike before, that is what I have in my mind for my bike as well with regards to the accessories.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:27   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything else, guys?

BTW, graaja, I remember you posting a picture of your bike before, that is what I have in my mind for my bike as well with regards to the accessories.

Accessories list that I can think of.
  1. Helmet
  2. A pair of good gloves
  3. Goggles
  4. Bottle cage(s)
  5. Pump
  6. Saddle bag with multitool, tire lever, spare tube and puncture kit
  7. Tail light
  8. Headlight
  9. Optional top tube bag for energy bars, wallet, cell phone etc. This is useful for longer rides

BTW, another very important thing. Get a professional bike fit done, especially as you plan to ride with clipless pedals. This is very important to avoid pains and injuries on long rides.

Last edited by graaja : 3rd June 2016 at 17:28.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:38   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Accessories list that I can think of.
  1. Helmet
  2. A pair of good gloves
  3. Goggles
  4. Bottle cage(s)
  5. Pump
  6. Saddle bag with multitool, tire lever, spare tube and puncture kit
  7. Tail light
  8. Headlight
  9. Optional top tube bag for energy bars, wallet, cell phone etc. This is useful for longer rides
Always to the rescue.

Points noted.

Things in bold, I didn't think of, before.

BTW, already have an awesome headlamp, goggles and a good helmet.
Quote:
Not any more, got my self Sigma Speedster.

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd June 2016 at 17:52.