Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd July 2016, 15:09   #3166
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I read that you have a weak knee, which means that you need a biker with adequate gears. With gears, you can choose the required combination so that there is no stress on your knee. Check Sheldonbrown.com for more information.

Coming to bike, it depends how much you want to spend and how long you want to own it.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 15:48   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
The primary goal is weight loss
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 23:59   #3168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Awesome, do update us after the ride. Looks like you are well prepared for the ride, all the best.
Did the ride on Sunday
https://www.strava.com/activities/629088407

Took me a total of 5 hr 15 minutes out of which 4.5 hours were spent on the saddle! This is surely the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. 65 miles of riding with varying elevations was quite a challenge. The nearly 7.6 miles of climb from Jeffersonville to Smugglers Notch literally had me in tears! I had to stop a couple of times just to catch my breath!

I didnt take any pictures though. That's mainly the reason why I didnt start a thread about it.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 20:47   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Awesome, buddy.

Good speed as well. Did you do the ride solo? I always find it exhausting when I do solo rides not so much if I tag along with my buddies.
Old 7th July 2016, 21:22   #3170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Awesome, buddy.

Good speed as well. Did you do the ride solo? I always find it exhausting when I do solo rides not so much if I tag along with my buddies.
Thanks!

Yes it was a solo ride. I am not that regular yet on the group rides organized by the local bike shop here. Maybe once I am, I will find out about other such group rides.

The problem is that I am slower than road bikes and faster than hybrids. Middle of nowhere.
Old 7th July 2016, 21:42   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

The problem is that I am slower than road bikes and faster than hybrids. Middle of nowhere.
Get a roadbike, problem solved .
Old 8th July 2016, 11:04   #3172
BHPian

Guys, team-bhp member @opendro just completed the Trans Am 2016 long distance 4270 miles ride across America: http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Apparently, he's the first Indian to take part and complete it, that too on a basic bike.
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 19:06   #3173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Guys, team-bhp member @opendro just completed the Trans Am 2016 long distance 4270 miles ride across America: http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Apparently, he's the first Indian to take part and complete it, that too on a basic bike.
That is an awesome achievement! Total Respect. Hats off to Opendro for making us proud!
If anyone wants more details about this race, they should watch Inspired to Ride. It is available on Netflix.
Thanks for sharing the news.
Old 13th July 2016, 10:47   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

Thanks Ashwin. I'm probably first because not many even know about this event You will see many lined up in the coming years.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 14:06   #3175
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations for this monumental achievement @opendro.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 16:14   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I'm probably first because not many even know about this event
Congratulations opendro, on the monumental feat! 4270 miles!! I can't imagine riding that distance even in the wildest of my dreams! Hats off and respect!
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:35   #3177
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need help in selecting my bike. Recently I have participated in an MTB event organized by Decathlon Kalamashery, Kerala. Since I was not having a bike, they offered me Btwin Rockrider 500 to participate in the event. I was completely zapped with the bikes performance on the MTB track and since it was my first MTB event the enthusiasm was also very high.

Now after this event the urge of having my own bike for daily early morning ride and weekend rides are more.
Roackrider 500 is around 25k (expensive for a newbie like me)

So I thought to choose between Rockrider 320 or Montra Rock 1.0 2015/Montra Rock 1.1 2015

these three bikes are in the range of 15-20K. Don't want to go morethan this amount at present.

I'm 36 yrs with 83kg weight and 169cm tall. Though i play badminton daily to keep myself fit. The bike I'm buying purely for weekend masti along with a cycle rack. I have polo and decathlon is selling a cycle rack at 5k.

Kindly help me out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_43001.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_44671.jpg  

ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:52   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help in selecting my bike.
I would suggest checking out the Rockrider 340. Last i checked, it was for 13 or 14k. The cheaper Rockriders will get a little boring after you start covering more distances. That one is a nice compromise between features and price.
naturaldisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:22   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I would suggest checking out the Rockrider 340. Last i checked, it was for 13 or 14k. The cheaper Rockriders will get a little boring after you start covering more distances. That one is a nice compromise between features and price.
Thanks natural disaster for the input. Yesterday, I visited The Bike Store in Kochi, they have Firefox, scott, and few more imported brands. The person I met suggested to go for Firefox Target @ 20,000, tyre size 26. I'm not sure whether firefox is good for MTB events. I didn't find Montra rock there, but he suggested to go for Btwin over Montra.

Any riders using Firefox target and Montra Rock 1.0, kindly help me with pros and cons.

Regards,
Imran

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Typos
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:35   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post

Any riders using Firefox target and Montra Roack 1.0, kindly help me with pros and cons.
I am using the Firefox Rapide 21 for the last 2 months and must say pretty happy so far. Was about to buy the Montra Hybrid but, my next door neighbor suggested to avoid Montra as he is using a Montra MTB for the last 3 years and is struggling for parts.

Pls note I stay in Malleswaram, Blr which, is quite close to CBD and if parts in around the CBD of Blr are an issue, I can't imagine the plight of Tier 2 cities.
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote