Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd July 2016, 10:58   #3181
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I don't understand this funda of struggling for parts,as most of the parts are from Shimano or Sram which is used across brands which is easily available in any good cycling shop.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:33   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I am using the Firefox Rapide 21 for the last 2 months and must say pretty happy so far. Was about to buy the Montra Hybrid but, my next door neighbor suggested to avoid Montra as he is using a Montra MTB for the last 3 years and is struggling for parts.

Pls note I stay in Malleswaram, Blr which, is quite close to CBD and if parts in around the CBD of Blr are an issue, I can't imagine the plight of Tier 2 cities.
Hi Paresh, thanks for your post. But Rapide is a hybrid. I'm looking for an MTB (city road and off-road). My heart is stuck with Btwin RR 500, but price tag is high. so though to limit the total value at Rs 20,000.

Parts won't be a problem at Cochin, we have all big brands here.
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:58   #3183
BHPian

Any opinions here about tyre protectors? Fed up after my second puncture in 2 weeks. My rear tube went last week, now it's the turn of the front tyre.

I have a Fuji Absolute 5.1 hybrid with 700c tyres. Debating whether I should borrow back my old Btwin Rockrider for the duration of the monsoon. Seems like people chose to toss out thumb tacks and nails onto the road in this season.
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 11:38   #3184
BHPian

If possible change the tyre,the stock tyres are usually bad in puncture protection or get tyre liners from Tuffy,Zefal etc.Even they provide limited protection.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 00:24   #3185
CGB
BANNED

She is my ride. Have changed the wheels to black aluminium rims.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-image.jpeg  

CGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 21:12   #3186
Senior - BHPian

Default Merida Scultura 200 Anyone?

Does anyone here own or has any opinion about the Merida Scultura 200? I was planning to get one as my first modern bike. Can't find too many online reviews. The 300 is certainly kitted better. But I thought I would enter the scene with a 200 and then perhaps upgrade at some point in time in future.
Any opinion will be appreciated.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 12:32   #3187
BHPian

Default Re: Merida Scultura 200 Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Does anyone here own or has any opinion about the Merida Scultura 200? I was planning to get one as my first modern bike. Can't find too many online reviews. The 300 is certainly kitted better. But I thought I would enter the scene with a 200 and then perhaps upgrade at some point in time in future.
Any opinion will be appreciated.
I have not ridden the Merida Scultura. However, I can tell you that if you test ride the suitable frame size and find that it feels nice to ride, all should be well.

Sora derailleurs are okay. Not bad. They will do the job quite nicely.

The brake callipers, I am unsure of- since they seem to be unbranded- which would also make the brake pads suspect. Test the braking. If it is reasonable, upgrading brake pads will not be expensive and shall still give you improved performance.

I have used Maxis Detonator tires and they are nice.

Apart from this, the frame geometry, handlebar design and saddle shape are personal choices. I for instance prefer shorter top tubes. So I say, ride the correct frame size and see.

Perhaps it could be added here that if you fall between two frame sizes, it is always preferable to choose the smaller frame, and get a longer stem and taller seat post.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 14:23   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Prabuddha. I agree with most of what you say. I am going for the 54 size. I am about 5'10" tall. I will perhaps opt for a shorter stem than stock. The brake is unbranded and so is the chain. Not unbranded but a brand with not very flattering online reviews ;-) Let me see how much I ride and how long they last.
Old 12th August 2016, 15:14   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Any opinions here about tyre protectors? Fed up after my second puncture in 2 weeks. My rear tube went last week, now it's the turn of the front tyre.

I have a Fuji Absolute 5.1 hybrid with 700c tyres. Debating whether I should borrow back my old Btwin Rockrider for the duration of the monsoon. Seems like people chose to toss out thumb tacks and nails onto the road in this season.
Particularly during monsoon, when there is a lot of debris on the road, ride as far from the shoulder as you can.
Old 15th August 2016, 12:23   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Particularly during monsoon, when there is a lot of debris on the road, ride as far from the shoulder as you can.
In Calcutta we have the added nuisance of large scale pre and post-puja pandal erection and dismantling and millions of nails strewn all over the city for two three months.
Old 15th August 2016, 22:38   #3191
BHPian

My bike's rear tire got puncture couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the puncture was at the end of 30 kms ride. When I reached home there was still 50% air in the tire.
Since I have the puncture kit, I tried to fix it. There were two punctures from the inside of the tube which was strange. I could not find any nail/sharp object in the tire. Patched up the two punctures and fitted the tube. While filling air, noticed that tire was losing air very rapidly. Fixing rear tire puncture is very cumbersome process since you do not get free play of the tire due to chain and brakes. Finally gave up.
Decided to replace the inner tube as with these two punctures, it has total 5 patches already. Searched in local market for 700-35CC inner tube. The price quoted by cycle shops was really exorbitant Rs. 450+. Snapdeal is selling Btwin inner tube for 199 but shipping duration of about 8 days. All these tasks took up more than two weeks
They I realized the quick release and tried it. Earlier I have used quick release of front tire (it's easier than rear tire). Entire tire assembly came off within couple of seconds. I thought this is easy. I was so wrong. Getting the tire off is piece of cake but putting it back properly is an experts job
Removed the inner tube and checked for punctures again. There were two more. Decided not to fix it and get the new tube. Went directly to Decathlon. Got the inner tube for Rs. 199. Replaced the old tube and put the tire back in place after many attempts. Checked the gears and everything looks good. Again I was so wrong, took the bike for a spin and noticed that rear gear is not shifting. The number displays gear changed from 5 to 6 to 7 but gear remains in 5. Gears is not shifting below 5. The downshifting lever is completely jammed. Basically I am out of riding for last three weeks now.
Any help in fixing the gear is much appreciated.
My bike is Montra Blues 1.1 (2014 model)
mp417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 09:05   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
.... Entire tire assembly came off within couple of seconds. I thought this is easy. I was so wrong. Getting the tire off is piece of cake but putting it back properly is an experts job
My 2 cents -
It's slightly easier to put back the rear tire when the cycle is upside down. Also keep the front gear at the highest level and rear one at lowest level to ease chain play.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 10:03   #3193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
My bike's rear tire got puncture couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the puncture was at the end of 30 kms ride. When I reached home there was still 50% air in the tire.
Since I have the puncture kit, I tried to fix it. There were two punctures from the inside of the tube which was strange. I could not find any nail/sharp object in the tire. Patched up the two punctures and fitted the tube. While filling air, noticed that tire was losing air very rapidly. Fixing rear tire puncture is very cumbersome process since you do not get free play of the tire due to chain and brakes. Finally gave up.
Decided to replace the inner tube as with these two punctures, it has total 5 patches already. Searched in local market for 700-35CC inner tube. The price quoted by cycle shops was really exorbitant Rs. 450+. Snapdeal is selling Btwin inner tube for 199 but shipping duration of about 8 days. All these tasks took up more than two weeks
They I realized the quick release and tried it. Earlier I have used quick release of front tire (it's easier than rear tire). Entire tire assembly came off within couple of seconds. I thought this is easy. I was so wrong. Getting the tire off is piece of cake but putting it back properly is an experts job
Removed the inner tube and checked for punctures again. There were two more. Decided not to fix it and get the new tube. Went directly to Decathlon. Got the inner tube for Rs. 199. Replaced the old tube and put the tire back in place after many attempts. Checked the gears and everything looks good. Again I was so wrong, took the bike for a spin and noticed that rear gear is not shifting. The number displays gear changed from 5 to 6 to 7 but gear remains in 5. Gears is not shifting below 5. The downshifting lever is completely jammed. Basically I am out of riding for last three weeks now.
LOL! Its all a matter of time. Soon you shall be able to remove the wheel, replace the tube and get riding again within minutes. And with many types of tires, you won't even need tire levers. Just a matter of practice.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:50   #3194
BANNED

Recently bought a bsa mach city. It's a budget cycle with a shimano 21 speed ez shifter. Does the job for which a bought it for.
Attached Images

raycers_honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 22:54   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
My 2 cents -
It's slightly easier to put back the rear tire when the cycle is upside down. Also keep the front gear at the highest level and rear one at lowest level to ease chain play.
Cycle was upside while I was fiddling with the tire. In fact, asked my wife to give a helping hand. It was funny for sure. Will give it a shot once again else need to take it to cycle shop. I am worried if I fit it incorrectly, either the gear wire or something may snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
LOL! Its all a matter of time. Soon you shall be able to remove the wheel, replace the tube and get riding again within minutes. And with many types of tires, you won't even need tire levers. Just a matter of practice.
The entire episode was really funny for sure. Hope to become expert so that it's not an issue on long distance ride.
mp417 is online now   Reply With Quote