Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th August 2016, 15:56   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
There were two punctures from the inside of the tube which was strange. I could not find any nail/sharp object in the tire.
If these were side by side then most likely you had pinch puncture. Google it up. It usually happens when there is insufficient pressure in your tyre and the bike hits pot holes hard.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 18:45   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If these were side by side then most likely you had pinch puncture. Google it up. It usually happens when there is insufficient pressure in your tyre and the bike hits pot holes hard.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Pinch Cuts result from hitting stones, curbs, or sharp edges of holes in the road surface. When the tire hits a sharp edge hard enough, it compresses so that it bottoms out. The inner tube can get pinched between the rock and the rim. Pinch cuts usually put two small holes in the tube. This type of damage is sometimes called a "snake bite" because the two holes look like the wound made by the fangs of a snake.
Pinch cuts sometimes ruin tires as well as tubes, but usually the tire will not be damaged.
The impact that causes a pinch cut can also make a dent or "blip" in your rim
Went through following link. It's very useful.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

It also has a video of rear wheel removal. Will give it a try again
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 19:52   #3198
BHPian

I keep the tire pressure 5-10 psi more than the max pressure printed on the tire.
I am okay with a slightly harsh ride. Higher pressure reduce the chance of punctures.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 10:23   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It also has a video of rear wheel removal. Will give it a try again
You are welcome mate. I guess if you practice it a few times, you will find it easy to remove. Apparently there is a tyre from Maxxis called Re-fuse that is virtually puncture proof. It has Kevlar as a layer inside. I don't know if there is any Indian importer for the tyre. Worth exploring.
Old 19th August 2016, 17:16   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
I guess if you practice it a few times, you will find it easy to remove.
After watching rear tyre removal videos multiple times, today gave it a shot. And voila, it's really easy. Though I was not as quick as the experts but I could do it on my own without any help. Thanks

The rear gear jam issue still persist. Rear derailleur is not working
Tried making some adjustments but didn't work. Will take the bike to cycle shop tomorrow.
Old 19th August 2016, 23:01   #3201
Senior - BHPian

What brand of derailleur and shifters do you use, if I may ask?
Old 19th August 2016, 23:59   #3202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rear gear jam issue still persist. Rear derailleur is not working
Tried making some adjustments but didn't work.
Probably need a new shifter cable.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 16:24   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
What brand of derailleur and shifters do you use, if I may ask?
Shimano Acera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Probably need a new shifter cable.
You are spot on. Went to cycle shop this morning. He mentioned the gear cable is the problem. After removing the cable from rear derailleur and the outer covers, the inner cable was still intact. There was no need to change the cable. He just applied some oil and re-installed. Gear shifting is working again. Got it fixed for 30 bucks

It seems, me removing the rear wheel and cable getting jam was mere coincidence.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by mp417 : 20th August 2016 at 16:26.
Old 21st August 2016, 08:52   #3204
BHPian

Hey, I have been seriously considering getting a DIY Ebike kit online and restart my cycling to work routine. A work recent trip to China completely inspired me with this tech and I want to give it a go, but need to know how to? Below is a link to the DIY EBIKE kit, what battery can I use and has anyone tried using this? Pros/Cons..

Link:https://m.ebay.in/itm/New-48V-1000W-...-/221913410813
Knowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:12   #3205

Hi,

Today in the morning, I discovered that my bike's rear tyre has developed a slow puncture. Since I have already had couple of punctures earlier, I intend to change the tyre.

The current tyre is stock (Vittoria Cross XN Pro 700x31c). Before I ordered anything online, I tried googling up tyre size and kinda got confused between imperial/metric or UK/US measurements. I am trying to figure out if I can fit 700x32c or 33c or greater without any issues. If I understand correctly 700 stands for diameter of the rim and 31 is the tyre width, so using 32/33c should be fine?.

Would be really helpful if someone can suggest some good budget cyclocross tyres to go?. Also, as my bike comes with tubeless compatible rims, does it make economic and practical sense to go for tubeless.

Thanks, Confused me
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 14:47   #3206
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm a noob at cycle-tech and am here for some info - I recently got myself a BTWIN MyBike 7s to get back to cycling as a fitness/exercise option. I'm starting to enjoy the ride and had a few questions:

What headlight/tail light options are recommended? I generally dont ride in the dark but in case I need to, I'd rather be prepared.

Second - can I get those extended handlebars (which come from the side and go up - like horns on an animal) for my cycle?

I dont think my cycle was "fitted" to my height when i bought it - should I get it back to Decathlon to get it fitted for my height/riding posture or are there other places in Bangalore (south BLR only pls) that can get it done for me?

Finally, any good apps to track my cycling efforts?
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 15:17   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
What headlight/tail light options are recommended? I generally dont ride in the dark but in case I need to, I'd rather be prepared.
Welcome to cycling.
Search for cycle lights on amazon or snapdeal. These are standard clip-on lights available. Mostly Chinese but does the job. These are LEDs so gives better light. Cost somewhere between 350 to 500. There are expensive lights available but IMO not worth.

Quote:
Second - can I get those extended handlebars (which come from the side and go up - like horns on an animal) for my cycle?
Search for handlebar extensions. Choose whichever you like.

Quote:
I dont think my cycle was "fitted" to my height when i bought it - should I get it back to Decathlon to get it fitted for my height/riding posture or are there other places in Bangalore (south BLR only pls) that can get it done for me?
Go through Bike fit videos on YouTube. You can do it yourself. This should be sufficient but still if you are not happy then take the bike to Decathlon or any other cycle shop.

Quote:
Finally, any good apps to track my cycling efforts?
Strava for sure is best. I am using it personally for 2+ years and very happy.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:31   #3208
BHPian

6+ years on TBHP and just today I discover this bicycle thread.

I am back to my old cycling passion after 25+ years again. Here's my new pride and joy, purchased couple of months ago. Its a hardtail MTB - Scott Scale 770.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-scott-4.jpg  

mr.sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 16:43   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

Today in the morning, I discovered that my bike's rear tyre has developed a slow puncture. Since I have already had couple of punctures earlier, I intend to change the tyre.

The current tyre is stock (Vittoria Cross XN Pro 700x31c). Before I ordered anything online, I tried googling up tyre size and kinda got confused between imperial/metric or UK/US measurements. I am trying to figure out if I can fit 700x32c or 33c or greater without any issues. If I understand correctly 700 stands for diameter of the rim and 31 is the tyre width, so using 32/33c should be fine?.

Would be really helpful if someone can suggest some good budget cyclocross tyres to go?. Also, as my bike comes with tubeless compatible rims, does it make economic and practical sense to go for tubeless.

Thanks, Confused me
Yes, 32/33c should be fine. Usually rims too come with a range of tyre widths it can take, but if the current one is 31c, it should take 32,33 c easily. My hybrid bike came with 700 x 23c tyres and I have replaced it with 700 x 54 tyres.
Do you have cyclocross bike? What's your current application like? Do you really ride on slush as well like cyclocross guys?

Tubeless - no tube bursts, slow puncture will allow you ride back home/base.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 18:58   #3210
BHPian

Cycle gurus,

I was on the lookout for a cycle for doing my regular gym runs & weekend rides. Today being little free at work, went to decathlon in SJP to check out few bikes. My price range was at max 10k. I went and tested the basic Mybike model and even though it was ok but somehow was not liking it. I then saw rockrider 300 and test rode it. Liked it and was talking to the salesperson regarding the price and other details. Then he showed me the rockrider 340. He said the difference between 300 and 340 was that the 340 had aluminium frame, has a front suspension and can also be adjusted for weight. I being a noob and riding a cycle after quite some could not make out the difference much and also I thought that for my usage it does not make sense to spend 6k more on it.

Came out from there still thinking about the bikes and the pros and cons of each model. Phew it used to be so easy during our school days it used to be a hero mtb or a bsa-slr. Anyways I would want to look out for some other options as well. My price range I have increased to max 12k.

Can you all suggest me some models considering my price limitation and usage? Also it would be helpful if I could get some recommendation for shops/showrooms in south bangalore?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote