Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th August 2016, 23:33   #3211

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Yes, 32/33c should be fine.

Do you have cyclocross bike? What's your current application like? Do you really ride on slush as well like cyclocross guys?

Tubeless - no tube bursts, slow puncture will allow you ride back home/base.
Thanks Krishna.

I have a cyclocross bike (Jamis Nova Sport). Till now it's only normal roads, mix of city, highway and village roads. No slush riding till now, in fact far from it actually.
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 13:26   #3212
BHPian

My bad luck with tire continues. Couple of days ago, rear tire had a puncture. I had recently installed new inner tube (Btwin). I was surprised to see flat tire again.

Removed the rear tire. I've become a pro now.
Removed the inner tube, checked the hole multiple time using water tub. Fixed the puncture using standard cycle puncture patch and solution (Diamond company). Checked that it's fixed and re-inserted the inner tube. Filled air but air was coming out from value or somewhere else.
Frustrated, took the tire to a near by small scale cycle shop. When the person removed the tube there were two more punctures. I was shocked
The mechanic told me to use two wheeler puncture repair patch. He fixed it within minutes. Not sure whether this is going to be temporary fix or will get another puncture.

Any thoughts on how and from where these additional punctures surfaced? Is something wrong with the way I am installing the inner tube? this is so frustrating.

Another question.
My cycle chain is completely covered with oil and it's black in color. The oil is applied by cycle shop during servicing. Whenever I remove the rear tire, my hands get completely dirty with oil. I have seen some online videos of cycle maintenance and their chains are super clean, shining. Is applying oil a wrong practice? Should I clean the chain completely and remove the oil?
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 18:48   #3213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
My bad luck with tire continues. Couple of days ago, rear tire had a puncture. I had recently installed new inner tube (Btwin). I was surprised to see flat tire again.

The mechanic told me to use two wheeler puncture repair patch. He fixed it within minutes. Not sure whether this is going to be temporary fix or will get another puncture.

Any thoughts on how and from where these additional punctures surfaced? Is something wrong with the way I am installing the inner tube? this is so frustrating.

Another question.
My cycle chain is completely covered with oil and it's black in color. The oil is applied by cycle shop during servicing. Whenever I remove the rear tire, my hands get completely dirty with oil. I have seen some online videos of cycle maintenance and their chains are super clean, shining. Is applying oil a wrong practice? Should I clean the chain completely and remove the oil?
Hi MP

I am not an expert on this but prima facie, the patch solution seems to be the problem. I used to get these DIY fixes for punctures but observed that the quality varies, i.e. the glue or the compound gives way after a month or so. I faced similar issue of pressure loss after repairing and riding for a month. So what the mechanic suggests may be true.

Also, maybe the inner rims has some sharp objects which is causing the puncture. If possible check the inner lining after removing the tire and tube once.

These are just based on my thoughts. Good luck. Please let me know your findings.
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 15:44   #3214
BHPian

Friends after due analysis, I have fixed onto Btwin Triban 5.

Getting it for 45K delivered.

All reviews point it to be really good.

Any first hand experiences?

All pointers welcome.

This will be my first road bike after Rock rider 300.

Will use it for regular fitness and weekend entertainment regime.

An preferring only Decathlon as no other modern brand shop here at Gandhidham and Decathlon have been reliable and approachable in terms of any service requirement down the time.
mrohit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 11:07   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question.
Clean the chain thoroughly with kerosene, an old tooth brush and some rags. If you want to go for the fancy solutions like a 2k chain cleaning device and degreaser etc that's also an option.

After cleaning the chain apply a chain lubricant. Motul is good enough, if you don't find cycle specific lube. Your local bike shop probably applies engine oil, which is thicker. If he is really old school he will apply burnt and discarded engine oil. The bike lubricants are very thin and transparent.

Once you apply the lube wipe the chain clean. It may seem counter intuitive. Why should I wipe the oil after applying it? The point is, the lube should reach inside the joints where the friction happens. When you are wiping out you are just wiping out the exterior where it is not required to be. If it remains on the exterior it will attract dirt and become black.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 16:30   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
MP, could you please tell me if the punctures were on the inner side or on the outer side? By inner side, I mean the side that sticks to the wheel rim. What pressure do you inflate your bicycle tyre?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 17:22   #3217

Good to see bicycle thread here. Anyway it is also riding on 2 wheels.
This is what I do when I need/upgrade my bike. I buy the frame from China/ Taiwan through aliexpress and get the components from Wiggle/ Evans/ Chainreaction. Some components I buy from decathlon and then assemble it myself. This not only helps to customize your bike but also ensures optimum cost.
Recently I bought a Bianchi roadbike frame with carbon forks from Aliexpress @ $300 and 105 groupset from Wiggle for another $350, bontrager wheels from Pune for 10K and assembled a bike in 60K approx. which is selling for 1.2 L on the stores.
Prawaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 19:37   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Clean the chain thoroughly with kerosene, an old tooth brush and some rags. If you want to go for the fancy solutions like a 2k chain cleaning device and degreaser etc that's also an option.

After cleaning the chain apply a chain lubricant. Motul is good enough, if you don't find cycle specific lube. Your local bike shop probably applies engine oil, which is thicker. If he is really old school he will apply burnt and discarded engine oil. The bike lubricants are very thin and transparent.

Once you apply the lube wipe the chain clean. It may seem counter intuitive. Why should I wipe the oil after applying it? The point is, the lube should reach inside the joints where the friction happens. When you are wiping out you are just wiping out the exterior where it is not required to be. If it remains on the exterior it will attract dirt and become black.
Thanks Sudipto for detailed reply. This is certainly helpful. I think most of the cycle shop mechanic thinks more oil is better. I plan to thoroughly clean the chain this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
MP, could you please tell me if the punctures were on the inner side or on the outer side? By inner side, I mean the side that sticks to the wheel rim. What pressure do you inflate your bicycle tyre?
I have a simple pump without any meter. So not sure what PSI. But I do ensure it's not under-inflated.

Punctures were mixed of inner, side and outer.

Went on cycle ride on Sunday and lightning striked. I had completed around 25 kms and that's when I noticed a wobble in rear tyre
Rear tire was flat again. I was around 7 kms away from home without the puncture kit. Somehow I managed to bring the cycle back home.

One thing I realized after this incidence is; I have ridden on these set of tyres (stock) for approx 1800+ kms. Fast approaching 2k mark
May be this is the reason for frequent punctures. So I have decided to replace both the sets to new tires. Exploring tubeless tyres as well.
Old 30th August 2016, 22:42   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I realized after this incidence is; I have ridden on these set of tyres (stock) for approx 1800+ kms. Fast approaching 2k mark
May be this is the reason for frequent punctures. So I have decided to replace both the sets to new tires. Exploring tubeless tyres as well.
2k is good distance on stock tyres. Buy a good set. This definitely is the reason for outer punctures. Wrt to inside punctures, see if you can put a good rim tape. If you need cheaper solution, use insulation tape. Do 2 to 3 runs on the inside of rim so that spokes can't puncture the tube. Been there done that.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 22:51   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strava for sure is best. I am using it personally for 2+ years and very happy.
What is your handle there? I am sudiptoroy17@gmail.com
Old 31st August 2016, 05:47   #3221
BHPian

Just reposting, hoping to get some leads.

All pointers welcome.

An preferring only Decathlon as no other modern brand shop here at Gandhidham and Decathlon have been reliable and approachable in terms of any service requirement down the time.
Old 31st August 2016, 11:44   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
After the frame a bike is as good as its components - all of which are outsourced from third parties. Check what all you are getting and read up on their reviews individually.

The critical components are the crank, derailleurs, shifters, cassette, chain, brakes, BB set, wheels, tyres, handlebar, stem etc. Not necessarily in the same order. I hope I haven't missed anything. All of these can be upgraded if you like the basic geometry of the frame. The company must give you a detailed break up of these parts - like what is being given for which component.

However, if Decathlon is your only option and they offer service support then there is no need to think too much. No old school mechanic at your local shops will want to touch your modern bike for even the smallest of repairs. So unless you are very good with your own maintenance there is no question of going for other fancy brands even if you can afford them.

Best of luck.
Old 31st August 2016, 13:13   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
What is your handle there? I am sudiptoroy17@gmail.com
mp417 mp417

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
2k is good distance on stock tyres. Buy a good set. This definitely is the reason for outer punctures. Wrt to inside punctures, see if you can put a good rim tape. If you need cheaper solution, use insulation tape. Do 2 to 3 runs on the inside of rim so that spokes can't puncture the tube. Been there done that.
Last time when I had removed the rear tire, I had specifically checked the rim tape and it was in good shape. Still I will replace it during tire upgrade.
In one of the online bike maintenance videos the guy specifically mentioned not to use the electrical insulation tape and it doesn't hold well. However if it has worked for you it should be ok.

Any pointers for tubeless tires or puncture proof tires?

Checked the Tannus brand from Korea. These are rigid tires and fully puncture proof.
Old 31st August 2016, 14:46   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Just reposting, hoping to get some leads.
All pointers welcome.
Hi Rohit,

I moved on to the Triban 5 myself, about 3-4 months back, although I envy the price point at which you are getting it!

I typically do 25-30 km rides 3-4 times a week and 1 longer ride (60-100 kms) on the weekend. The T5 has grown on me immensely and I love riding this bike.
I wasn't at all happy with the stock Kenda tires, not because the tires were bad, but because they weren't suitable for the bad road stretches that I needed to negotiate before I could hit the straights. After one too many punctures, I moved on to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which although expensive, have proved to be an excellent tire with zero punctures since.
The rims on the T5 could have been better and I have had two instances of Spoke breakage (but no puncture), so I have learnt to take it easy over bad sections and it's been fine after that. Touch wood!
The Sora groupset meets my expectations from this price-point, no hiccups, no complaints, though I make sure that I clean it and lube it regularly.
No complaint with the brakes either.
The seat, could have been better IMO. The seat contour doesn't have the recess for the inner penis, so you will need a very good quality pair of biking shorts, for your longer rides.
I had some initial concerns with the aggressive riding posture, but notwithstanding my cervical issue, I have zero problem with it.
This bike accelerates very fast, as compared to some other cycles I tried around this price and spec. Maybe it's because of the riding posture, or maybe because of the additional tooth count up front.
Ask if you need some other specific pointers. It's a lovely bike for this price point and Decathlon's service support is stellar, in my area.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited by roy_libran : 31st August 2016 at 14:59.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 16:10   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hi Rohit,

I moved on to the Triban 5 myself, about 3-4 months back, although I envy the price point at which you are getting it!

I typically do 25-30 km rides 3-4 times a week and 1 longer ride (60-100 kms) on the weekend. The T5 has grown on me immensely and I love riding this bike.
I wasn't at all happy with the stock Kenda tires, not because the tires were bad, but because they weren't suitable for the bad road stretches that I needed to negotiate before I could hit the straights. After one too many punctures, I moved on to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which although expensive, have proved to be an excellent tire with zero punctures since.
The rims on the T5 could have been better and I have had two instances of Spoke breakage (but no puncture), so I have learnt to take it easy over bad sections and it's been fine after that. Touch wood!
The Sora groupset meets my expectations from this price-point, no hiccups, no complaints, though I make sure that I clean it and lube it regularly.
No complaint with the brakes either.
The seat, could have been better IMO. The seat contour doesn't have the recess for the inner penis, so you will need a very good quality pair of biking shorts, for your longer rides.
I had some initial concerns with the aggressive riding posture, but notwithstanding my cervical issue, I have zero problem with it.
This bike accelerates very fast, as compared to some other cycles I tried around this price and spec. Maybe it's because of the riding posture, or maybe because of the additional tooth count up front.
Ask if you need some other specific pointers. It's a lovely bike for this price point and Decathlon's service support is stellar, in my area.

Cheers,
Roy
Thanks a lot Roy.

In the same price range I do have option of Fuji Sportif 2.3(45K, Claris shifters) or Fuji Sportif 2.1(52K, Sora Shifters). Since I do not have any experience of a road bike, could you make it easier for me please.