Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th September 2016, 11:08   #3241
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

^^According to your needs the Firefox & Montra trance will work well,more inclination towards the Firefox as it has better groupset than the Montra.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:41   #3242
NAK

I recently bought. Montra 1.1 mountain bike and extremely pleased with it. Costed me 19k and got few accessories complimentary with it.
NAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:39   #3243
BHPian

^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. It kept pace with me until around May this year, when I felt I had outgrown the Montra and needed a faster machine. But, even now, the Montra is in beautiful condition, no rust, no issues, and rides, practically as good as new.

Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 13:21   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

I am right now into shopping a new bike for myself and a bit confused. Need your help and advise in selecting a bike right for my usage.

A bit about myself and the usage. I am 5 10 and weigh 75 kgs. I am looking at buying a cycle for strickly usage inside city and for riding max of 20-25 kms weekly.Also I would use it atleast thrice a week for going to gym. My budget is around 15k which can extend upto 20k if the bike is really good.
Since your prospective riding is exclusively on city roads, it would be better to go for hybrid or road bikes. Mountain bikes with shock absorbers and thicker tires will sap energy. A 32c section or thinner tires would be ideal for city roads.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 23:09   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
I recently bought. Montra 1.1 mountain bike and extremely pleased with it. Costed me 19k and got few accessories complimentary with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. It kept pace with me until around May this year, when I felt I had outgrown the Montra and needed a faster machine. But, even now, the Montra is in beautiful condition, no rust, no issues, and rides, practically as good as new.

Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
I am using Montra Blues 1.1 for last two years without any issues with 2k+ kms. Very easy on maintenance.

Very satisfied with the cycle so far.
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 09:01   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
^^According to your needs the Firefox & Montra trance will work well,more inclination towards the Firefox as it has better groupset than the Montra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Since your prospective riding is exclusively on city roads, it would be better to go for hybrid or road bikes. Mountain bikes with shock absorbers and thicker tires will sap energy. A 32c section or thinner tires would be ideal for city roads.
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I would go out today to look out for bikes and I would start with Montra. Not very keen on firefox though. Any other brand that I would get in that price range which I can look for?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 13:17   #3247
Team-BHP Support

I have recently developed an interest in cycling and wanted to pick up a new bike

Primary purpose :

I do not enjoy exercising in gymnasium. I like outdoor activity like walking, swimming etc. I do walk regularly but, wanted to get into cycling in a serious manner. I plan to initially cycle for 4-5kms every day and slowly build up stamina (and, courage) to ride longer

Have visited Decathlon a few times and tried out multiple cycles but, I like the BTWIN Rockrider 340 (L Frame) the most

It seemed like a decent starting bicycle and fully kitted is costing me INR 18,500

Is this price decent? Is there any other bicycle which i should consider as it's better or similar in specs and overall durability?

Appreciate inputs from the bicycling stalwarts here and thanks in advance
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 13:23   #3248
BHPian

Hello,

How much can I pay for a one year old BTWIN rockrider 340 bicycle? My friend is willing to sell it and not sure of the price.
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 13:26   #3249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
How much can I pay for a one year old BTWIN rockrider 340 bicycle? My friend is willing to sell it and not sure of the price.
There was a guy here selling a 4 month old BTWIN Rockrider almost unused with accessories for 13K. But, he later changed his mind. This ad was noticed in OLX

So you should get it for lower than above mentioned price!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 14:08   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Have visited Decathlon a few times and tried out multiple cycles but, I like the BTWIN Rockrider 340 (L Frame) the most

It seemed like a decent starting bicycle and fully kitted is costing me INR 18,500

Is this price decent? Is there any other bicycle which i should consider as it's better or similar in specs and overall durability?

Not a bicycling stalwart, but here's my tuppence -

Spend about 2000 more and get the RockRider 500. Yes - it's an older model, but has far better components, and belongs to one segment above. It's cheaper nowadays, since it has been superceded by the RR520 and more recently, the RR540.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 14:19   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Before buying the bike, I'd suggest that you take a bike out for rent couple of times. In Hyd, TheBikeAffair (TBA) rents out pretty decent bikes. The rent is around Rs 300 per day. After taking a ride out 2 or 3 times you would know if you really would like to cycle or not, and then put money on buying a bike.

http://www.thebikeaffair.com/rent.html

P.S:I have no vested interest with TBA, but I am one of their happy customers.
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 19:07   #3252
BHPian

If looking for second hand deals this is the best place
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CYCL...74288589693831
Old 19th September 2016, 22:17   #3253
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone has any experience participating in randonneuring? Or brevets?
https://rusa.org/
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 11:20   #3254
BHPian

For randonneuring in India http://www.audaxindia.org/
Have done the 200 & 300 kms ones but had to abandon the 300 one at half way point due to cramps,know a few friends who are SR & double SR.

Last edited by yogi1771 : 20th September 2016 at 11:42.
Old 25th September 2016, 13:43   #3255
BHPian

I am looking for a bicycle for my son (8 years).
The requirements are :
a) It should be light.
b) It should sustain for another 3-4 years atleast.
c) It should have less metal body.
d) It should not be atrociously priced.

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Also is it worth buying it online vis a vis buying it from Decathlon.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote