Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th October 2016, 10:58   #3271
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Edge 520 is the latest from Garmin and looks quite advanced. I have not used this device (I have a basic Edge 500), but I did a quick read and found this to be quite advanced and should meet your needs.
The Edge 820 is the latest from Garmin & has gone back to touchscreen,have the Edge 820 with me updated from Edge 510.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 11:28   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
The Edge 820 is the latest from Garmin & has gone back to touchscreen,have the Edge 820 with me updated from Edge 510.
Wow. Edge 820 is much more advanced than 520.

I had suggested 520 due to its lower price point ($350 for the bundle vs. $500 for the 820) and at the same time having lots of features. This would be a good first step upgrade from Strava on a phone.

Have been planning for an upgrade to the Edge 500, but have been postponing due to fear of repercussions
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 19:06   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'm not sure if you can use Strava for navigation, I'm guessing it doesn't download any map data prior.
I think RideWithGPS has the offline mode where you can download maps in advance.

Quote:
PS: Once you get into bicycle gadgets and gear, there is no getting out. I have spent almost equal to the cycle's cost on gadgets and gear, and many times have faced the wrath of the home minister

Quote:

I had suggested 520 due to its lower price point ($350 for the bundle vs. $500 for the 820) and at the same time having lots of features. This would be a good first step upgrade from Strava on a phone.
Man these things are expensive. My bike cost me only $400
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:40   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Man these things are expensive. My bike cost me only $400
Yes. Unfortunately, these gadgets are quite expensive.

I have another suggestion for you. You could get a phone mount for the bike and fix the phone to the mount (you may be already doing this). Get a top tube bag and fix it to the bike's top tube. Get a power bank and put this inside the top tube bag. Run the cable from the power bank to the cell phone. With a big power bank like 10000mAH, you could get all the backup you will need for long rides. This could be a really cost effective solution to your problem.

Last edited by graaja : 14th October 2016 at 20:53.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 21:02   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
I intend to use it daily now for 15 - 20 km along tarred and potholed roads.Also I found a few cycling enthusiasts and we plan to go for long distance weekend rides.My budget is 20k - 25k.
I would advise you to start window shopping and test riding. Visit all shops, check what's available and then decide.
If u think you can bump up your budget to 35k if you wIt for a few months, then do that.
For ur usage look at hybrids.
Buy a simple reliable cycle form a good brand, don't spend money on cheap bikes which offer 'features'. With cycles, the less complicated and jargon the better.
I had a RR500 and moved to Merida speeder hybrid, very happy with 2 yr ownership.

I am not an 'expert'. I do cycling for commuting and general fitness.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 21:07   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have another suggestion for you. You could get a phone mount for the bike and fix the phone to the mount (you may be already doing this). Get a top tube bag and fix it to the bike's top tube. Get a power bank and put this inside the top tube bag. Run the cable from the power bank to the cell phone. With a big power bank like 10000mAH, you could get all the backup you will need for long rides. This could be a really cost effective solution to your problem.
That's a brilliant suggestion! I have everything I need for this setup except a top tube bag.
Off to amazon I go
Old 14th October 2016, 21:55   #3277
BHPian

Thank you freedom.
I will definitely go shopping, but thought will get an idea about brands and products before shopping.
spoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 23:24   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That's a brilliant suggestion! I have everything I need for this setup except a top tube bag.
Off to amazon I go
You also have cases that have built-in battery bank (2000mAH - 4000mAH); the price is generally around $20-$40. I was seriously thinking of getting one for my 5S sometime back.

That would be a better alternative than lugging around a cable attached power bank.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 23:30   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You also have cases that have built-in battery bank (2000mAH - 4000mAH); the price is generally around $20-$40. I was seriously thinking of getting one for my 5S sometime back.

That would be a better alternative than lugging around a cable attached power bank.
But I can use the bag for other stuff too, like snacks on the go or a small camera (damn! another thing added to the shopping list)
Old 18th October 2016, 13:58   #3280
BHPian

Hi! Everyone
I'm a bit inclined towards Firefox Sniper D, Need to know pros and cons about it, A small review would be sufficient to make me proceed further.
My Height is around 5'8 and budget is somewhere around 25,000 only.
As i want one with suspension only and an offroader as well, you may suggest more to me.
thanks in advance
FeelTheBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 00:10   #3281
BHPian

Anyone using a Brompton foldable bike? I'm planning to get one for my daily office commute. I'm convinced that I could drive it when I would want to and fold it and take the public transport when needed. Any suggestions? I'm looking to get the black edition.
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 20:17   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Completed another 100K ride yesterday. This time the wind literally dragged me down.
Anyway, my question is, has anyone noticed huge elevation differences between Strava and RideWithGPS? I recorded my rides with RideWithGPS and then uploaded the .gpx file to Strava. In both the rides, the elevation gain reported by Strava is significantly less than that reported by RideWithGPS. And they both disagreed with the elevation that route initially mentioned! Here's what i am trying to say:
  1. Trails of Groton
    1. Stated on RWGPS: 2802
    2. Recorded on RWGPS: 3346
    3. After upload to Strava: 1049
  2. Boneyard 105K
    1. Stated on RWGPS: 2920
    2. Recorded on RWGPS: 3651
    3. After upload to Strava: 2411

All numbers are in feet.
Did some reading on the net and it seems recording elevation gains is not really very consistent and it really depends on whether the app is using the device's built in barometer or its own database. In case of Strava it discards data from the device and uses its own database as mentioned in this too-technical-for-monday-morning article:
Voodoo of Elevation Gain and Strava

But it seems RWGPS uses the phone's built in barometer and then performs something called "elevation smoothing" to come up with the final number.

So, I guess the recorded elevation from RideWithGPS is the most accurate indicator of the sweet misery of climbs that you went through?
Old 25th November 2016, 15:13   #3283

Default Abandoned shimano EF-51 3 speed shifter please

Does anybody have an abandoned Shimano EF51 3 speed front(left) trigger shifter lying around. My shifters badly needed new cable and in the process I damaged the top cover while trying to pull out stuck screws. The mechanism need not be working. I just need the top cover. Thanks in advance. I will pay the courier charges.
Attached Images

JG_SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 18:00   #3284
BHPian

Hi guys,

I'm new to cycling and currently looking for cycle.
I'm confused with the type of cycle i need to buy. can you please suggest a cycle for me or tell me points i should consider for buying a cycle.

i'm 5`11 and 90 Kg's and budget is 15K Max.

The main reason i'm looking for cycling is weight reduction/loss.
tht'snotME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 19:38   #3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to cycling and currently looking for cycle.
I'm confused with the type of cycle i need to buy. can you please suggest a cycle for me or tell me points i should consider for buying a cycle.

i'm 5`11 and 90 Kg's and budget is 15K Max.

The main reason i'm looking for cycling is weight reduction/loss.
I can give you a brief idea on your question. To make it simple, there are three basic types of cycles available. Road, Hybrid and MTB (Mountain Terrain). Road bikes have the thinnest Tyre size while MTB the widest. While considering the frame size fit for a person, the general rule is to have enough clearance above the top tube once you stand across. I have included a picture for your reference. It also depend on how comfortable you are sitting on the saddle and reaching the handle bars while cycling. These are general guidelines experts can give you more info. BTW, I believe body weight has nothing to do with bike choice. Anyway, cycling should be a good exercise to reduce weight. Hybrid or a MTB should be a good choice. I feel you might need a large frame cycle based on your height. If you have Decathlon near you, start your search there. They have good quality choices and the pricing is the best. Besides, you will be able to try them out and get comfortable with the size. Hope you will have better advises from experts here. Meanwhile, hope this should help you.
Attached Images

Last edited by JG_SYZ : 29th November 2016 at 19:40. Reason: Attaching picture. Missed it.
JG_SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote