BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

@JG_SYZ, Many thanks
I shall start looking @Decathlon
tht'snotME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:50   #3287
BHPian

Crossed 3000kms on my Firefox Cyclone today.

I bought this used cycle on OLX for Rs7500/-. Thereafter must have spent Rs1.5k on a speedometer, lights, seat cushioning and better handle bars. And about Rs500 on maintenance in last three years.

I have used this cycle strictly as a replacement for my cars. It replaced my cars for my office commute and for doing daily errands.

It has been a great investment. I have achieved superb ROI.

I clocked an average return of 14% on my investments over the last three years.

Here is the return I got on my investment in this 'cycle' (pun intended), based on very simplistic calculations:

Investment: Rs(7.5k + 1.5k + 0.5k)= Rs9k

Present value (PV) of investment based on an average rate of return of 14% over last three years: Rs Rs13.33k

Fuel saved in last three years at an average kmpl of 10 = 300 litres
Total fuel savings assuming average cost of diesel to be Rs 60 per liter=
Rs 18k

Returns over PV of investment made 3 years ago= ~35%!

The return should be still higher should I includes cost savings on maintenance + intangible benefits. And my calculations are conservative.

Quite easily the best investment I made 3 years ago!

PS: I am not salaried, so its been easy for me to use my cycle for commuting to work.

Last edited by rrsteer : 2nd December 2016 at 11:54.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:14   #3288
Senior - BHPian

You did not calculate the monetary value of the carbon offset and the calorie loss and also a small saving to the community in terms of causing less damage to the road.

There are some calculators available online that can give you some indication of these figures based on your speed and distance etc. I have never worked it out myself but my Cateye Velo 9 can calculate the carbon offset. I am not saying it is accurate but it can at least good benchmark.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 07:48   #3289
BHPian

I recently got hold of a 2016 Brompton black edition in black:

http://www.brompton.com/The-Bike

Even though the wheels are 16", it does drives fast with the benefit of carrying it everywhere you go. It is not that comfortable to be carried, but there are these wheels that you can use to roll it. I'm really impressed with this bike and I love every bit of it.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:46   #3290
BHPian

She gets an update on wheels & becomes more French
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-lsk3ma7iojgxaspf7jlj074pwvcnaj1su25ar1tc3p02048x1536.jpg  

yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 06:07   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Great!
Some of the below points are more relevant to the longer rides, than a 100km ride; but still matter.
What would be a longer ride in your books? Thanks for all these tips though.

I have been riding loops of ~10 miles around lakes and mountains near my house in San Diego. I have had a Specialized 29er Rockhopper comp. Its a hardtail. I have been considering getting into road bikes for a while now.

Yesterday, I picked up Trek Emonda S4. I lifted the carbon fiber frame at the store and my jaw dropped. Its just one kilo. They had some sale on outgoing 2016 models, and I could not walk away. I intend to start riding during the christmas holidays this year. I got hybrid pedals - clipons on one side and flat pedals on the other.

Any tips for road biking beginners is most welcome. After a couple days of riding, I will get SPD shoes. Right now, I am a little terrified of clipping on my feet to the pedals. Hopefully, I will figure it out.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 06:32   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
What would be a longer ride in your books? Thanks for all these tips though.
Brevets basically; 200 kms and above.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 10:32   #3293
Team-BHP Support

I turned 40 earlier this year. So after close to five years and thousands of kilometers on the Rockrider 5.0, I decided to gift myself a road bike.

This pic was taken at the start of this month, when I got her home. The pedal straps and pie plate were taken off a couple of days later.

Fuji Sportif 2.3
The Bicycles thread-sportif-2.3.jpg

The groupset's a Claris - Sora combo - nothing great, but serves the purpose. Getting more and more comfortable with every passing day.

I have retained my Rockrider as well - use it twice a week.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2016 at 13:12.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 14:05   #3294
BHPian

Nice one Addy,when do you ride let's meet up for a ride.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 14:22   #3295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Nice one Addy,when do you ride let's meet up for a ride.
Generally I ride from 5 am - 7 am between Nariman Point and Bandra. I cover about 50 km (includes loops at Reclamation / Seaface / Marine Drive).
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 15:17   #3296
BHPian

I returned the Hercules Roadeo that was bought from snapdeal, as there was a size mismatch. They shipped a M size frame instead of the L frame it claimed to be in the website. I had developed back and wrist pain which could be attributed to this.

I picked up another from from a cycle store at Indiranagar, a Cosmic Flamingo this time. Its an alloy frame, 21 speed, disc breaks on front and rear. Got a good gel padded seat which solves the b*tt pain .
Comparing steel to the alloy frames - Alloy frames will let you ride longer without fatigue. My main aim was to shed the extra kilos, so the alloy frame is not helping me here. The steel frame cycle used to leave me tired after a 45 min ride. I now have to cycle about 60% more. This however is a great bike for commuting. I am able to attach higher speeds on this, have touched 48 kmph on the cosmic.The disc breaks on the bike is really an overkill. I do not feel much difference when it comes to stopping distance compared to V-brakes.
Had managed daily rides on the bike till the cold wave stuck
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 16:25   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks. Out in market to buy two bicycles. One for my daughter and one for self. I have identified Firefox Breeze for about 9790/- for my daughter. I am planning to buy Firefox Target or Cyclone for myself. I am 5'10" and weigh 68kgs. I am planning to use it for local commute, exercising and regular bike trips. I have used Trek 3500 for two years but I have found it to be an overkill for my requirements which is mostly roads and limited rough tracks.
Any suggestions or comments on the choice? How useful are the disc brakes?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 19:38   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
How useful are the disc brakes?
Honestly, I feel both are the same. I felt that for front v brakes have better stopping power then front Discs. For rear, I find discs to be good.
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 20:17   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Honestly, I feel both are the same. I felt that for front v brakes have better stopping power then front Discs. For rear, I find discs to be good.
Thanks. I will plan to go for the Cyclone V and use the saved money for some accessories.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 00:29   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
I turned 40 earlier this year. So after close to five years and thousands of kilometers on the Rockrider 5.0, I decided to gift myself a road bike.
What a fine birthday gift to yourself! I applied the same thinking and got a road bike. I did my first ride and my first hill climb this weekend. Some 2k feet and 20miles. I love the carbon fiber frame, it is super stiff and efficient. It was comfy 70F degrees the past weekend. Great weather today as well. I rode it to work.
Trek Emonda S4
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-poway.jpg  

Last edited by prasadee : 21st December 2016 at 00:34.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote