Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st March 2017, 12:28   #3346
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

DuoTrap S

Hi,

does anyone here use a duotrap S sensor, this is specifically for trek range of bikes.
Need some information on how reliable they are and comments on accuracy they provide.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 12:57   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thank you. Will keep it in mind. However, servicing it in my place may prove to be a headache. Hence hesitating a bit.

Any Btwin bicycle users from places that don't have Decathlon outlets? Your service experience will be of immense use. Please share.
I had bought BtWin from Decathlon in Bangalore last year. Not serviced it till now. Reason being - I either have to ride it all the way till Decathlon Whitefield or Decathlon Bellary road. Really scared to ride all the way as the traffic is heavy on both the routes.

I am feeling that the gear changes are getting hard and thought of getting it done near to my house. Is it recommended getting the cycle serviced at local outlets? What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 13:26   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Is it recommended getting the cycle serviced at local outlets? What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
We are both looking for the same answer here .

Which part of Bengaluru do you live in? If it is of any help, Decathlon has opened a new outlet in ETA Mall, Binnypete.
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 13:31   #3349
BHPian

I trust raja cycle mart opposite city town hall for service. Traffic is a pain but the guy there is really good.

What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?[/quote]
Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:48   #3350
BHPian

Sharing recent experience about Kinetic Fluid Smart Trainer for Bicycles.

http://happyearth.in/?p=187

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:40   #3351
BHPian

Hope this will not happen:

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee studying Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2016 tabled in the Parliament has recommended that pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles be restricted from using main roads and highways in metros. It even recommends a penalty as a deterrent."

Link:

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/57760620.cms
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:58   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other options I have to get the cycle serviced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
We are both looking for the same answer here .
Guys,
My humble suggestion is to learn basic servicing yourself. By basic servicing I mean the following:
  1. Cleaning - FD, RD, Brakes, Cables, Chain, Levers, Frame
  2. Lubrication - FD, RD, Chain, Cables
  3. Brakes - Replacing Pads, Setting, Tightening/Loosening
  4. FD/RD Adjustments - Two adjustment nuts on both usually, that can be used to set the gear shift thresholds
  5. Accessories - Installing Meters, Lights, Bags, Panniers etc.
  6. Bike Fit - Saddle Height, Saddle position, Stem Position (Shorten/Lengthen), Handlebar angle etc.
These are quite easy to do, and don't take beyond one hour of your time. You will find plenty of YouTube videos to guide you on this as well.

The Servicing items, where you do NEED support from professionals are:
- Hubs
- Bottom Bracket
- Pedals (Mainly because you won't have the correct tools)
- Rims (Again tools)
- Dismantling the FD/RD for thorough cleaning and lubrication (Rarely required)
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:04   #3353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope this will not happen
Some countries are encouraging cycling to curb congestion and pollution. But in our country, you never know what will happen next. Kolkata had banned bicycles on certain roads some years ago. I don't know if the ban is still in place. Still, I don't think such a ban will actually be implemented all over India. There's too much at stake. Just as an example, most of the renowned dabbawalas of Mumbai use bicycles and non-motorised transport to get from railway stations to peoples' homes / offices.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:12   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this will not happen:

"The Parliamentary Standing Committee studying Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2016 tabled in the Parliament has recommended that pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles be restricted from using main roads and highways in metros. It even recommends a penalty as a deterrent."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Some countries are encouraging cycling to curb congestion and pollution. But in our country, you never know what will happen next. Kolkata had banned bicycles on certain roads some years ago. I don't know if the ban is still in place. Still, I don't think such a ban will actually be implemented all over India. There's too much at stake. Just as an example, most of the renowned dabbawalas of Mumbai use bicycles and non-motorised transport to get from railway stations to peoples' homes / offices.
While on a literal meaning the recommendation seems to be really detrimental to cycling. But if it is properly meant especially with the focus more on the road categories than the location (within/outside city), then yes, there is some sense in the plan. We have no restrictions on cycles on state and national highways (other than expressways). As average speeds are getting higher, it's a risk for all (especially for the cyclists) to share the roads.

Rural and urban folks use the highways for their inter-city/village movement. Even our brevets and other cycling races/events are held on routes with the main preference of using highways. The same events here in US are always on interior roads. Globally cycles aren't allowed on the main highways. I see no reason why it isn't enforced in India too.

How they will "implement" it is a different matter.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd March 2017 at 16:16.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:39   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My humble suggestion is to learn basic servicing yourself.
You are absolutely right here. There are certain basic things that all of us can do to keep our rides in good stead. They are simple tasks that demand just a whole lot of patience and a little mechanical empathy. I have both and hence will surely follow your suggestion.

However, the part that is worrying me is this:

Quote:
The Servicing items, where you do NEED support from professionals are:
- Hubs
- Bottom Bracket
- Pedals (Mainly because you won't have the correct tools)
- Rims (Again tools)
- Dismantling the FD/RD for thorough cleaning and lubrication (Rarely required)
Don't want the cycle shop wallahs to mess them up. Specially problematic is their attitude towards our cycles - not purchased from them and hence not treated well .

I am confident of sourcing the spares from Decathlon, so may as well put together a serious bicycle specific toolkit .
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:57   #3356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
For regular use I would not like to be without my 24-speed bicycle though.
Enjoy your bicycle, looks very neat!

Jeroen
Thank you! Single speed obviously take more effort but surprisingly I am going faster on this than my 27 gear MTB. The climbing on the single speed is a different story altogether. You have to plan well in advance for a steep climb. All in all, I am more than happy with this bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Looks really cool! How much did it cost you?

Thanks
Thank you! I got this for 12K.
paddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 18:59   #3357

Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker. Currently, I use my Garmin Forerunner 210 wristwatch to track activities but somehow I am unable to figure out how to correctly measure the calories burned. The reading seems very high. e.g. for 3-4 hours cycling it shows 4.5-6k calories burned. Is this correct?

Also, could anyone please help with good cycling routes around Pune (Hinjewadi) ?. The routes I have done so far are mostly Lonavala, Shindewadi, Lavasa. I am fine with round trips of ~90-100kms.

Thanks and happy cycling
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 19:11   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker.
I use RideWithGPS app on my iphone. For longer rides i plug the phone into a portable charger.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 09:09   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Hi,

I need advice on a good budget GPS activity tracker. Currently, I use my Garmin Forerunner 210 wristwatch to track activities but somehow I am unable to figure out how to correctly measure the calories burned. The reading seems very high. e.g. for 3-4 hours cycling it shows 4.5-6k calories burned. Is this correct?
I have been using Strava for both ride and run. It's accurate for all practical purposes. You also get to interact with other riders and runners.
6k Cal for a 4 hour ride is definitely high. I get about 5.5k Cal for a ten hour brevet ride. May be your weight settings are incorrect. Or the app is set for run rather than ride. 5k Cal for a full marathon is fair estimate.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 23:23   #3360

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I use RideWithGPS app on my iphone. For longer rides i plug the phone into a portable charger.
Thanks amitoj. Unfortunately, I do not have an iPhone. I will install this on my wife's iPhone and give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I have been using Strava for both ride and run. It's accurate for all practical purposes.

6k Cal for a 4 hour ride is definitely high.
... 5k Cal for a full marathon is fair estimate.
Thanks Raj. Exactly as I suspected. I will tinker around with the settings now.
minzanurag is offline   Reply With Quote