Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th April 2017, 13:02   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
What is the difference between two options on website i.e. M75 & M80?
I am not 100% sure, but it might be different sizes (M & L). Image taken from Decathlon India website.

The Bicycles thread-cyclesize.jpg

Gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 12:25   #3377
Team-BHP Support

Heat Exhaustion.

Well I encountered the devil on my ride today and thought of penning down my thoughts as it may help others.

I live in Hyderabad.
My commute is from the APPA Junction to Madhapur. The service road beside the ORR is my preferred road. I cycle at least twice a week and am agnostic to the summer. In fairly decent physical condition and don't really push myself on the ride.
Last night slept well and had a decent breakfast in the morning. Including a lot of fruits and ragi mudde.

Left home at 10:00 AM, which is my usual time. The temperature according to my phone's app was 36C. A bit of head wind but nothing very heavy.

Reached Gachibowli signal (>10 kms from home) at around 10:35. This is approximately the same time I take. A massive grid lock and there was no space to move my cycle.
Waiting and waiting for some respite but the heat starts getting to me. 10 mins standing in the hot sun with no shade finally had me bending my knee in honor of the Sun.
Stacked the cycle against the railing and sat down under a small tree. Wet my hair and put some cloth over it to cool my head.
10 mins later the traffic had moved and again jammed up. But I gathered myself and managed to reach the Gachibowli flyover. Sat down under it for another 10 mins to recover. Ride to office from there was normal.

I am writing this post to warn everyone that Heat Exhaustion can strike anyone at any time. It does not matter how strong or healthy you are.
Do not ignore the symptoms. There is no shame is stopping and waiting it out.

Some tips for a quick cool down:
1. Drink water in small sips. Do not gulp.
2. Wet any cloth and cover your head with it.
3. Remove your shoes.
4. Stay in shade.
5. Do NOT drink any soft drinks. Instead rely on only water or electrolytes. Tender Coconut water if available is the best.
6. If you are sure that you have recovered. Rest for another 5 mins to be doubly sure.
7. Recheck everything on your bike before continuing your ride. There is a possibility you opened your bag for something and forgot you did it.
8. The summer heat is not an excuse to not ride. Learn how to deal with it and enjoy the longer days.
9. Never cycle without wearing a Helmet.

Take care and keep riding.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 14:58   #3378
Senior - BHPian

I am planning on picking up a cycle to re-kindle my younger cycling days .

I did some looking around online and in shops and the ones I want are out of my budget . I came across the Montra range and zeroed in on the Montra Helicon 2017 which seems right for me. I will be using it mostly on weekends for the time being and will slowly increase to daily when I get used to it.
I don't plan on doing any major rides as soon as it get it, but will for sure doing down the line.
Will this be the right bike for all these requirements.
Any inputs from anyone who has this bike or the 2016 Helicon would be good.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 19:35   #3379
Distinguished - BHPian

God help me I have signed up for a 200 kms ride this Saturday
The longest I have ridden so far in a day is 125 kms.
Anyway, few things I have been doing in preparation for the ride:
1. Got the bike tuned up at the local bike shop. New tires, brakes, shifters adjusted etc. etc. Took the bike out for a 70 km ride last weekend after the tune up just to make sure no new problems crop up.
2. Carb loading: Been trying to eat more carb heavy foods. For example, last night i ate more than usual rice, daal and scrambled eggs. Today's lunch is going to be a chicken burrito from Chipotle.
3. Hydration: Been drinking roughly 4 to 5 liters of water.
4. Sleep: Trying to get at least 6 to 7 hours of sleep.
5. Very light to no workouts for the week. Being extra cautious here.
6. Been looking at the ride map. Getting used to the fact that the ride involves 7000 feet of climbing.

One of my biggest challenge is going to be to not get carried away in the beginning of the ride and burn out before the ride is over.

Any other tips or suggestions?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 21:52   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
God help me I have signed up for a 200 kms ride this Saturday

Is this a Brevet? If so my experience is:
1. Timing your ride is the key. Aim to keep halts to no more than 10 min.
2. Weather is important and you need to dress to keep or lose warmth.
3. Ride as long as possible when you are fresh. You can cover longer distances that way. Keep targets for halts like first halt not before 50 k.
4. Hydrate well on the saddle. Carry one water bottle and one electrolyte mix. Alternate sips every ten minutes.
5. Good idea to carry nutrition bars on your back pocket. You can eat one every hour to keep you fresh.
6. Most importantly carry minimum stuff to reduce weight. Lights, helmet, spare tube, tool kit, money, water and nutrition should be all that's required.

All the best for your ride.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 22:09   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my biggest challenge is going to be to not get carried away in the beginning of the ride and burn out before the ride is over.
This is the most important part. If you use heart rate monitor, keep yourself in Z2. That is the endurance zone and you will be able to keep going for a very long time. If you do not use a heart rate monitor, then just stick to a comfortable pace where you are neither too slow, nor over exerting. It will be tempting to catch up with others who are faster than you. But believe me, this will do more harm. So, instead of catching up with faster riders, stick to your pace and enjoy the scenery around you. If you find someone who has a similar pace like yours you could pair up with them as well.

Quote:
Make sure that you regularly hydrate yourself and also take enough nutrition. Depending on how much you sweat, consuming anywhere from 0.5 liters to 1 liter of water per hour is a must. Also, take 200 calories of nutrition every hour including the calories from electrolytes. You could use energy bars, gels, or bananas etc., anything that will easily digest and put sugar immediately in your blood stream. Avoid heavy stuff like donuts, pastries etc. Though it feels good to have these during the ride, your body will have to divert energy to the digestive system which will affect your ride.

Sip water every 10 minutes and alternate between plain water and water mixed with electrolytes like Enerzal (not sure what you get there in the US). Do not wait till you become thirsty.

If you follow these, I am sure you will be able to comfortably complete the brevet.

Good luck with the ride
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2017, 23:27   #3382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Is this a Brevet?
All the best for your ride.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, it is a brevet . Here's a link to the ride page.
Boston 200K

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is the most important part. If you use heart rate monitor, keep yourself in Z2. That is the endurance zone and you will be able to keep going for a very long time. If you do not use a heart rate monitor, then just stick to a comfortable pace where you are neither too slow, nor over exerting. It will be tempting to catch up with others who are faster than you. But believe me, this will do more harm. So, instead of catching up with faster riders, stick to your pace and enjoy the scenery around you. If you find someone who has a similar pace like yours you could pair up with them as well.
Thanks!
Yes I will keep these words in mind and constantly keep reminding myself that the aim is to finish. Not finish ahead of anyone.

I have a fitbit but I hardly look at it during rides. Maybe i should switch it to show heart rate instead of time for the ride.

For hydration, I have a 2L Camelbak hydration pack and a 1L water bottle. I will probably need to refill at some point because I consume this much in 100K itself. I am thinking of carrying Gatorade in the water bottle and water in the pack. I also saw some energy gels at the local bike shop. Will get those as well as some of these bars:
Name:  product_darkchoconutsseasalt.png
Views: 1158
Size:  236.4 KB
Old 21st April 2017, 00:29   #3383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Yes, it is a brevet . Here's a link to the ride page.
Boston 200K
All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Is this a Brevet? If so my experience is:
1. Timing your ride is the key. Aim to keep halts to no more than 10 min.
I'd take this with a pinch of salt - every rider to his own style; @amitoj - stick to what your body tells you. Brevets are to be done easily; it's not a race. I have taken 20-30 mins breaks; and I know many other randonneurs who have taken even longer breaks when needed. Your body will tell you what's needed.

+1 to @graaja's point - see if you can connect with fellow riders & if you can figure out someone who rides at similar pace; mostly you'll see them again and again at checkpoints. You don't need to match pace with them throughout the ride, but it helps to get a perspective especially in the later half.

Do not look at the total trip distance; break it up by checkpoints. Plan accordingly; give timelines for each section; with varying speed/time limits depending on your style. Keep a buffer of 30 mins - 1 hour for last phase.

Take pictures. Take breaks. Enjoy the scenery It's not a race - that's the beauty of these rides.

Edit: Shop for CO2 cartridges. Might not seem a much value-add now (compared to a pump), but you'll appreciate it when you get a puncture.
EditX2: Bananas. Keep looking out for them at any of the shops/gas stations/etc. They are your wonder food. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st April 2017 at 00:37.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 00:58   #3384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
All the best!

I'd take this with a pinch of salt - every rider to his own style; @amitoj - stick to what your body tells you. Brevets are to be done easily; it's not a race. I have taken 20-30 mins breaks; and I know many other randonneurs who have taken even longer breaks when needed. Your body will tell you what's needed.
Thanks, Ninja. Yeah I guess it is for every rider to pick their own style. Frequent 10 minute breaks or less frequent 30 minute breaks. In the March populaire, I had stopped at a bakery and enjoyed a luxurious lunch before resuming the ride. It was below freezing that day, so I needed that much time for the water to unfreeze anyway!! Since it was an off season event, there were no manned control points. But for the in season ride, they have manned control points with refreshments (bananas if you get there early, bread, peanut butter and some other light stuff like peanuts and chips)
Old 21st April 2017, 11:27   #3385
BHPian

A question for fellow riders. Has anyone tried switching the tires on an MTB to road tires? I have a MyBike 7s, which is a couple of years old. My riding has increased significantly this year with rides of 70KM to 100KM almost every weekend. I am considering going in for a hybrid, but would like to know if a tire change can help save some money. Also, whether its worth doing it in the long run.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 12:29   #3386
BHPian

^^ The 7s has 26 inch wheel I think so road bike tires are out of the question,but you can go in for slick tires like 26*1.5 or even lower,which I have seen is 26*1.25 but that again depends on whether the rim can take it.There will be difference but at the end of the day hybrid will be better has it has a bigger wheel.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 20:02   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
A question for fellow riders. Has anyone tried switching the tires on an MTB to road tires? I have a MyBike 7s, which is a couple of years old. My riding has increased significantly this year with rides of 70KM to 100KM almost every weekend. I am considering going in for a hybrid, but would like to know if a tire change can help save some money. Also, whether its worth doing it in the long run.
You can't switch to 700c tires; the rims won't match.

But there are good premium slick tires for MTBs which make a lot of difference. I did that on my rockrider a few years back; I had moved to Maxxis Detonator slick tires. Definitely made some difference.

Edit: If your individual ride distances are in 70KM+ range, it might make sense to invest in a good road bike (or a hybrid atleast)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st April 2017 at 20:27.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:32   #3388
Distinguished - BHPian

I somehow managed to survive and complete the 200K
https://www.strava.com/activities/953666745

Phew.Split into three legs, the first leg of 41 miles had an elevation of 3200 feet, making it the toughest one, but I was doing surprisingly well till then. End of second leg, which was supposed to be easiest, had some wicked climbs towards the end that knocked the wind out. The last leg was the hardest though just because of the fact that i had been riding for 6 hours already.

By the way, I tried to keep my heart rate in the endurance zone but it is just not possible to do that when you are climbing nearly a 1000 ft in 4 miles.

I had picked up a handful of GU energy gels and they were superb in keeping me going. I am going to order a box full of them from Amazon. Much better than just raw nuts etc.

Thanks to everyone for your tips and supporting words of encouragement.

EDIT: According to my fitbit, I was in the fatburn zone for 321 minutes, cardio for 183 minutes and peak for 28 minutes. I think fatburn zone is the endurance zone?

Last edited by amitoj : 23rd April 2017 at 17:35.
Old 24th April 2017, 16:54   #3389
BHPian

Quote:

Phew.Split into three legs, the first leg of 41 miles had an elevation of 3200 feet, making it the toughest one, but I was doing surprisingly well till then. End of second leg, which was supposed to be easiest, had some wicked climbs towards the end that knocked the wind out. The last leg was the hardest though just because of the fact that i had been riding for 6 hours already.

By the way, I tried to keep my heart rate in the endurance zone but it is just not possible to do that when you are climbing nearly a 1000 ft in 4 miles.

I had picked up a handful of GU energy gels and they were superb in keeping me going. I am going to order a box full of them from Amazon. Much better than just raw nuts etc.

EDIT: According to my fitbit, I was in the fatburn zone for 321 minutes, cardio for 183 minutes and peak for 28 minutes. I think fatburn zone is the endurance zone?
Great performance amitoj.
Someday, I will too.

By the way, does anyone have any reviews for Montra Downtown 2017?

https://montra.in/hybrid-bike/montra...wn-2017/#specs
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 17:21   #3390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on your maiden BRM, that too with this high an elevation gain.

Yes. Fat burn zone is endurance zone and I think you did very well in maintaining the zone. Going into Z3 and Z4 is unavoidable for steep gradients. Also, as you build your cycling power, for the same heart rate, you will ride faster and hill climbs will become easy.

Wishing you many more successful BRMs in the future!
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote