Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th April 2017, 22:12   #3391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I somehow managed to survive and complete the 200K
Congratulations Randonneur. Nothing else matters.
Now go on and register for that 300 BRM. You still got half a year to make it Super.👍
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 23:30   #3392
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Great performance amitoj.
Someday, I will too.
Thanks! I'm sure you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on your maiden BRM, that too with this high an elevation gain.

Yes. Fat burn zone is endurance zone and I think you did very well in maintaining the zone. Going into Z3 and Z4 is unavoidable for steep gradients. Also, as you build your cycling power, for the same heart rate, you will ride faster and hill climbs will become easy.

Wishing you many more successful BRMs in the future!
Thanks! Next one is in two weeks from now.
Vermont 200K

It is supposed to be slightly less challenging than the Boston 200K. And looking at the cue sheets, there are control points roughly every 20 miles which should make this more enjoyable.

Will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast for May 6th, before I register. I think I need a break from long rides in cold damp weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Congratulations Randonneur. Nothing else matters.
Now go on and register for that 300 BRM. You still got half a year to make it Super.👍
Thanks! Super Randonneur would be nice but I still have some ways to go before I can start to dream about it. Definitely not happening this year. My goal for this year was to do at least one century ride. Will see how rest of the year goes!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 18:45   #3393
BHPian

200 km is a very nice distance. I have tried randonneuring but 300 km rides tend to get pretty boring. I like riding hard, and 300 becomes a little too exhausting. Even on a 200, I have had to stop and eat since I have not carried proper food.

Still, the distance can be completed before evening (if one starts early enough) and that to me, is very nice. But the best thing is you can ride to your heart's content.

Good to see some long distance riders here, and good ride Amitoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
This old Royal Enfield Fire Fly was lying with my sister for a while in Yercaud. It came with some property she bought long time back.
I got this restored at Probikers last week. Except chain and spokes all are original parts.Attachment 1593432
Attachment 1593433
Attachment 1593434[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 1593438[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Would be keen to find out more about this bicycle. How old is this bicycle? Is it from the 60's or earlier? Is that the original paint scheme?

Do please share more information.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th April 2017 at 18:56. Reason: merging back to back posts
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 18:56   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
So I have been in Mumbai for close to 5 month for client work. I was always thinking that I should rent a bike on weekends and explore Mumbai. Come the weekend and I used to feel lazy to call up the stores for renting a bike. Plus, 500 per day really did not make sense to me.

Went to a local bike store 2 days back to get a new bike under 10K. I was looking at Mach city bikes as those were the ones that were in my budget. The plan was to sell the bike while leaving Mumbai.

Here is how the conversation went.

Me to the store owner - I want a bike under 10k, bare basic. Nothing fancy.

Store owner - What's your height, sir?

Me - 6 feet 2 inches.

Store owner- Err, Sorry! I got nothing for you in that case.

Store owner(once again) - Wait! I might have something for you. Then he mentioned that there has been a very recent launch of this Montra bike which has got a flip-flop hub. Single speed and a fixed gear.

Me - Show Show!

Me(after looking at the bike) - Do you accept credit cards?

You cannot deny buying this bike after having one look at this beauty. Presenting the Montra Fixie for your viewing pleasure.

Attachment 1620900

Already covered 100 KMs on it and it is just a dream to ride. I have been riding a mountain bike for the past 2 years and this came as a welcome change.
Thankfully it has two brakes. Do you ride it fixed or single speed? I see you have platform pedals. So I am guessing single speed? Do try riding fixed. But for that getting some kind of foot retention is a good idea. And at first please practice somewhere you will not need to stop suddenly. But once you get accustomed, it can be quite addictive.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 15:41   #3395

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Thankfully it has two brakes. Do you ride it fixed or single speed? I see you have platform pedals. So I am guessing single speed? Do try riding fixed. But for that getting some kind of foot retention is a good idea. And at first please practice somewhere you will not need to stop suddenly. But once you get accustomed, it can be quite addictive.
Right now I am riding single speed. Since I go for rides mostly during the night, I have not tried out fixed gear yet. But I will be moving to Delhi NCR soon and there is a lot of free space to try out the fixed gear setup. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the advice.
paddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 20:24   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks! Next one is in two weeks from now.
Vermont 200K

It is supposed to be slightly less challenging than the Boston 200K. And looking at the cue sheets, there are control points roughly every 20 miles which should make this more enjoyable.
So, this was a fun ride! Got to taste some really nice fresh brakery products all along the 200K

There is another 200K tomorrow but I am going to skip it. I have started commuting to work on bike this week and I really need the weekend to rest and recover.

Any other bike commuters here?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 00:09   #3397
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: The Bicycles thread

A question to regular users of BikesZone, has the forum moved to some other domain ?
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 08:17   #3398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
A question to regular users of BikesZone, has the forum moved to some other domain ?
It went off sometime last year (?) and has not come online since. Here are some archives:
https://archive.is/www.bikeszone.com

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2017 at 08:18.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 17:08   #3399
Senior - BHPian

BikesZone was a decent community, although kinda inactive of late but still, the only decent, and worth mentioning Indian cycling community worth its salt.

@ phamilyman (on T-BHP) was a moderator on BikesZone. If anything, I guess he will be able to clarify on the situation.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 08:27   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
This is my cycle which was bought in 1999.

I used it to go for tuitions, for shopping at the nearby junctions, going to church, hanging out with friends, racing, having fun.

But as I turned 18 and got my license, the cycle was rarely used and was relegated to a spot behind my home where it weathered all sun, rain all that nature threw at it.

Until.... A couple of months back when I suddenly had the urge to restore it.

Finally she's back with me and I hope to recreate that magical feeling of cycling with the wind blowing through my hair.

It's been a year since I put the above post regarding restoration on my cycle.

Though I was occasionally using it, it was only last month I started using it for my regular commute to office.

One major drawback was the absence of rear view mirrors. Riding alongside traffic without rear view mirrors has turned out to be very difficult for me.

A quick check at shops revealed that the mirrors available for bicycles can best be described as toys with no visibility.

Can someone please guide me from where to source rear view mirrors (both sides) for bicycles either in Trivandrum (doubtful) or online and the approximate costs.
Ramon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 10:09   #3401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone please guide me from where to source rear view mirrors (both sides) for bicycles either in Trivandrum (doubtful) or online and the approximate costs.
Tried Decathlon?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8158024_3...tml#/180-235-_

I'm sure lots of other online retailers will have mirrors on offer as well. There are many cycling specific websites today.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 11:04   #3402
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
One major drawback was the absence of rear view mirrors. Riding alongside traffic without rear view mirrors has turned out to be very difficult for me.
I regularly commute on city roads with a mix of slow traffic and jams and some sections where cars easily zip past at 60 kmph.
I just stick to a lane (try to occupy the lane). I keep atleast 5 feet distance to the left to account for any parked car/rick/etc.
Don't budge from your lane no matter how much you get bullied by honks and sound of racing the engine with clutch depressed just to scare you away. Give way when your lane is clear and its safe for the vehicle behind to make a safe pass.

When turning or changing lanes etc., i just do hand signals and just turn my neck to see the traffic via peripheral visions. I have got into a habit of turning neck and doing a sort of a shoulder check before changing directions (muscle memory now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tried Decathlon?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8158024_3...tml#/180-235-_

I'm sure lots of other online retailers will have mirrors on offer as well. There are many cycling specific websites today.
Whatever you get make sure its stable on the handle bar and doesn't blur the image due to road vibrations that make their way into the handlebar.

I find mirror placed on the right side below the handle bar to be far more effective than putting it on top of the handle bar

Mirror will help you, but a shoulder check is a must when changing directions.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 01:49   #3403
BHPian

Can you guys recommend a good digital Odomoter for my bike? I would like this Odometer to record the total miles that I drive on a daily basis. I'm sure an App would work much better, but I prefer to have an Odometer. Any suggestions?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:52   #3404
BHPian

^^ Many available from around 1000 k to around 50k,budget first.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 11:10   #3405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Can you guys recommend a good digital Odomoter for my bike? I would like this Odometer to record the total miles that I drive on a daily basis. I'm sure an App would work much better, but I prefer to have an Odometer. Any suggestions?
Do you have a budget in mind, and also what you want to track? There are simple wired odometers that just show time distance and odo, and there are other meters which have wireless sensors with GPS that also record the route along with much more advanced parameters.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote