Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th September 2017, 06:39   #3451
BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Been riding a Scott Aspect for a year now. The brand, along with Giant and Specialized, is really popular in Dubai. The bike is really nimble with the Schwalbe tyres providing exceptional grip on all surfaces. Plan to pick up a new ride so shipped this to Bangalore, where it will meet completely different terrain.

For future replacements, are Schwalbe tyres available in India? Just checking.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-scott-aspect-crop.png  

Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 07:47   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Ya, Schwalbe tyres are available in india. using it on my Giant Talon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For future replacements, are Schwalbe tyres available in India? Just checking.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 01:13   #3453
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
... so shipped this to Bangalore ...
Hello, Could you give some details on how you went about doing this ?

Was your bike shipped in a hard-case or a bike bag ?

And were there any problems due to the shipment ?

Have a Scott & a Pinarello wasting away at home back in Chennai & have been thinking about shipping them to where I'am now.

P.S. - Would also be grateful for any feedback on BikeBoxAlan

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:43. Reason: Added spaces. Thanks
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:20   #3454
BHPian

Kindly suggest a 26er MTB with hydraulic disc brake setup. The 26 inch hard requirement is because I have access to 26 inch schwalbe winter studded tires that I want to use on an upcoming ride. The hydraulic setup needed as I felt the mechanical setup on my previous ride prone to fadeout and lack of bite after a couple of downhill kilometres.

The rest can be mid to high end derailleurs, rapid shifters a plus. 100 to 120 mm travel is fine.
With the market shifting towards 27.5 and 29 setups this niche requirement of mine is becoming hard to find.
Any help/guidance would be really helpful.

Attaching a couple of pictures from my last ride.
The Bicycles thread-17097202_1542289595811333_51483739667115067_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-16487238_10155041844127878_5855406480599546619_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17097652_1541023459271280_7022352568674867717_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17157521_1546181635422129_3789014350390120170_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17359000_1568119356561690_504698785519755431_o.jpg

A short video of a downhill section

trance_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:57   #3455
BHPian

Hi, the new bike came in a box, but I didn't have space for it and had given it away. This bike was secured with thick cardboard and electronics grade thermacol, which is of higher density and doesn't shred, at key areas. They put a bubble wrap and plastic wrap over it. But you will have to disassemble the bike surely.

Scott Aspect is 10 kilos heavier than my other bike a GiantSCR2, at 16 KG, so weight isnt in its favour. Only once the cycle is received in Bangalore, 20-30 days, will I be able to tell you if this is indeed a great way to ship. But. if you do have a sturdy bike box, go for it. I've had Thule for a while and its the best. Look out for it.

Good luck mate.
Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 11:39   #3456

Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. I loved cycling back in my school days and i want to start with it so that i can stay fit and healthy. Going to the gym daily is not my cup of tea. Music+running/biking is what i love. Please advice a good bike which is comfortable for riding 1-2 hours in city and on highways. Also, an option which can be updated with time with new features etc. if any possible would be preferred. I have zero knowledge right now on the same. Just saw the Btwin's at Decathlon yesterday. Quite liked the Hybrid Riverside 120 after having a ride. But i don't want to make any purchase without asking the experts here. One last point. I really keep my gadgets/cars/bikes for really long long time. So looking for something which is really that good in its segment. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
pankajthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 15:07   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. ... Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately have to repeat the most repeated advice on this forum - do a search

Just browse through this thread - last 5-6 pages itself should give you options. This query of yours and the suggestive price point is a common question repeatedly asked by so many; should give you a sufficient start on options to be looked at.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 22:32   #3458
BHPian

Hey guys,

This is my first post in this thread as I've turned into a passionate cyclist just recently.

Just a small query to all the cyclists here.

My brake pads have worn out within a month of replacing them. (yes, you heard it right, Within a month ) I would like to hear your suggestions regarding some good quality brake pads as its monsoon time and you've got high chances of brake failure. Another reason being that it's my daily ride to school and then to coaching centre which covers a total of 20 km in a day.

I want brake pads which neither cost a bomb, nor are as cheap as a Chinese product. I just want pads which are reliable and don't get worn out soon.

Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 12:10   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
I had the same requirements and similar budget as you , few months back
I went and picked up a Montra Trance hybrid bike. It is perfect for my riding needs. Light frame, non-disc brakes, 16 speed.

I say it was perfect for me since like you I wanted a bike for keeping fit basically and then for some small rides. This does both.
I have had it for almost 5 months now and I use it during weekends mainly. I got it 14k and I would say it was a steal.

I would have loved some much more expensive bikes that I saw in the shop, but it would have been like buying a Harley Davidson to use to the shop and gym.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 23:29   #3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I had the same requirements and similar budget as you , few months back
I went and picked up a Montra Trance hybrid bike. It is perfect for my riding needs. Light frame, non-disc brakes, 16 speed.

I say it was perfect for me since like you I wanted a bike for keeping fit basically and then for some small rides. This does both.
I have had it for almost 5 months now and I use it during weekends mainly. I got it 14k and I would say it was a steal.

I would have loved some much more expensive bikes that I saw in the shop, but it would have been like buying a Harley Davidson to use to the shop and gym.
Thanks for your advice. I got the Firefox Rapide. Really loved everything about it. Attached here its picture with my 13 year old love Karizma .
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1506362334086.jpg  

Old 26th September 2017, 11:09   #3461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I got the Firefox Rapide. Really loved everything about it. Attached here its picture with my 13 year old love Karizma .
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great.

The seat looks too low. Set the height such that your legs have a very slight bend when you reach the full downward stroke of the pedals. If the knees are too bent at the lowest point of the pedals, this could cause injury to the knees.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 13:45   #3462

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great.

The seat looks too low. Set the height such that your legs have a very slight bend when you reach the full downward stroke of the pedals. If the knees are too bent at the lowest point of the pedals, this could cause injury to the knees.
Thanks man! Sure I will do as you said. Appreciate your effort and great advice. Rode today after 15 years for like 7KMs and absolutely loved it. Hope I can continue daily and increase the miles.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:37   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post

A short video of a downhill section
The video is good. Saw the camera mounted on the helmet in previous image. Which is the camera used for the video?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 09:39   #3464

All - I am really excited as I recently acquired a new road bike. This is in addition to a MTB and a fixed gear bike that I ride.

It is a Giant Contend SL1 disc. It has the Shimano 105 group set with a carbon fork and a carbon seat post. The bike weighs at 10 KGs with all the accessories in place. The ride has been good till now, have covered some 250 odd KMs already.

Here is a picture -

The Bicycles thread-img_20171008_080004.jpg
paddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:01   #3465
BHPian

Hi, Wanted a bike to help me get started with cycling. Budget <15k(I'm a fresher) I'll be mostly using the bike for early morning fitness rides on paved surface. Would also like to explore some places during weekends with mud tracks(nothing extreme).

With next to zero knowledge about bicycles, started reading up on the type of bikes. Following are the bikes shortlisted:
City/commuter type
Mach city ibike(geared)
Rockrider 300

Mtb
Rockrider 340
Montra madrock

Hybrid
Btwin Riverside 120
Montra downtown

1.Is hydrid cycle most suite for my needs? Or should I go in for a mtb?
2.Do the mtbs listed have very aggressive tire thread which would hinder riding on paved surface?
3.Are there any other better alternatives at this price range?
4.Is Riverside 120 not a popular buy? On the decathlon website I don't see any reviews for it. Also Google is of not much help either. Don't have a decathlon here to go check out the bike in person.

Please help.

Quote:
Quite liked the Hybrid Riverside 120 after having a ride. But i don't want to make any purchase without asking the experts here. One last point. I really keep my gadgets/cars/bikes for really long long time. So looking for something which is really that good in its segment. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
How's the Riverside 120? I'm kind of liking the simplicity of it.
kedar3223 is online now   Reply With Quote